Dec 07 2010

The real story of St. Nicholas

St. Nicholas

His name was Nicholas and he was born to a wealthy, elderly couple in what is now Turkey in the 3rd century AD. When his parents died, he was left with a large inheritance and gained a reputation for generously giving to the poor. He entered a monastery and eventually was ordained Bishop of the coastal city of Myra.

Nicholas was known for miraculous answers to prayer, confronting pagan "Diana" worship and being cruelly imprisoned during Roman Emperor Diocletian's persecution of Christians.  When Constantine ended the persecution, Nicholas attended the Council of Nicaea and helped write the Nicene Creed. A true Saint, Nicholas died on December 6, 343AD. Early American writer Washington Irving, creator of Rip Van Winkle and the Legend of Sleepy Hollow, was instrumental in transforming Saint Nicholas into jolly ol' St. Nick!

Tags: ,
Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (8) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

12/7/2009 11:11:22 AM
paula hall United States
paula hall
As a newbie coming into the religious sector-that is what this community is-no unconditional love here so Klove has been by far the only reason I am still trying so hard to get my act together! I listen every waking hour and the prayer line is the ONLY reason I am still on the face of this Earth! Thank You All for the encouragement you give to babies in this walk!
12/7/2009 2:33:59 PM
jeanmcrane@gmail.com United States
jeanmcrane@gmail.com
Wasn't this the same one as on the 5th????
12/7/2009 2:37:11 PM
Jean United States
Jean
Wasn't that the same one as the 5th? I loved it but was hoping for a new one.
12/7/2009 8:17:21 PM
Patricia Tessmer United States
Patricia Tessmer
Each of your stories were very interesting.  Some of them I had heard before. Very informative.
12/9/2009 3:06:01 AM
Steven Harvey United States
Steven Harvey
Actually the answer is no.  The 5th talks about the chorus Silent Night.  Although much later in that story it does mention St. Nicholas, but it was referring to a name of a Church not St. Nick himself.
12/13/2009 3:12:13 PM
Paul Ransom United States
Paul Ransom
This is a really good read for me, Must admit that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw.Thanks for posting this informative article.
12/7/2010 3:17:18 AM
Billie Sytsma United States
Billie Sytsma
I miss your morning prayer. That started my morning devotional and you seemed to say just what I needed to hear.
12/7/2010 8:33:46 AM
LK Shinneman (Just LK) United States
LK Shinneman (Just LK)
I didn't know that you were blogging. I thought it was put up by K-Love. I thought I knew the story of St. Nicholas but was not aware of these details. We all should have this same goal of being a Saint. Here's a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OExXItDyWEY on Youtube for song titled "Where's The Line To See Jesus". A song I believe good ole St Nick would have approved of? Eternal peace and love comes from giving love and peace to all while we are in the world. I believe that we get exactly what we give for all eternity. I wonder how many of us would have done with his wealth what St. Nicholas did? It is not easy but He didn't say it would easy. He just said He would give us the grace if we only ask for it. We just have to use our FREE WILL to do what he showed us to do. "They will know that you are My desciples by the way you love one another" Thanks for your blogs. May His peace be with you and yours, now and forever...LK