Dec 08 2010

The Legend of the Candy Cane

Many years ago, a candymaker wanted to make a candy at Christmas time that would serve as a witness to his Christian faith. He wanted to incorporate several symbols for the birth, ministry and death of Jesus.

He began with a stick of pure white hard candy; white to symbolize the Virgin Birth and the sinless nature of Jesus; hard to symbolize the solid rock, the foundation of the Church; firmness to represent the promise of God.

The candymaker made the candy in the form of a "J" to represent the name of Jesus, who came to earth as our Savior. He thought it could also represent the staff of the Good Shepherd, with which he reached down into the ditches of the world to lift out the fallen lambs who, like all sheep, have gone astray.

Thinking that the candy was somewhat plain, the candymaker stained it with red stripes. He used three small stripes to show the stripes of the scourging Jesus received, by which we are healed. The large red stripe was for the blood shed by Christ on the cross so that we could have the promise of eternal life.

Unfortunately, the candy became known as a candy cane — a meaningless decoration seen at Christmas time. But the true meaning is still there for those who have eyes to see and ears to hear.

[Information adapted from material by Retail Confectioners International - reprinted from the Dec/Jan 1997/98 Kettle Talk Newsletter]

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (20) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

12/8/2009 7:38:40 AM
Keith Alcorn United States
Keith Alcorn
I heard this story last night at a Christmas party I was at, it's so cool. I never knew that it was spiritual
12/8/2009 7:46:32 AM
torie United States
torie
i never hear this story i moved alot on christmas so i dont know alot of story's. pray for me my grandpartens gast left there church because there was truble there.
                                god bless u and pray ,love torie simmons 16 years old
12/8/2009 8:13:25 AM
Ruth Pinchi Peru
Ruth Pinchi
FELIZ NAVIDAD!!!
I ALWAYS LISTEN TO YOU THRU MY ITUNE RADIO. I'M AN ENGLISH TEACHER AND THIS READING IS GONNA BE A GOOD MATERIAL FOR MY STUDENTS TO READ. THANKS FOR YOUR ENCOURAGING WORDS EVERYDAY.
GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU!
12/8/2009 11:09:35 AM
Lina United States
Lina
I've heard this story before, but it's always good to hear and remind us what Christmas is all about.  Thank you for all the blessings that we receive and God Bless All.
12/8/2009 11:14:47 AM
Salem United States
Salem
I like the story of the Candy. I never hard of it it was awsome story. Now I will tell the story to others.
thanks
12/8/2009 12:48:31 PM
Teresa Wells United States
Teresa Wells
This is one of my favorite Christmas stories. Every year, I try to print out a little copy of the story, attach it to candy canes and send them to school with my kids to offer to their friends and teachers.
12/8/2009 2:36:31 PM
Emmanuel Ellul United States
Emmanuel Ellul
I never knew the meaning of the candy cane. I'am very pleased to know now the meaning of it Thank u very mutch you Blesses me alot.
12/8/2009 7:26:56 PM
Denna United States
Denna
I am including a website from snopes.com that talks about the legend of the candy cane.  I am a Christian and I find the true meaning of Christmas in Christ, as I am sure most of your listeners do.  I hate to see people take secular things that are associated with the "holiday" and put a false Christian twist to them to try "add meaning" to Christmas.  Christ is all the meaning we need!!!
www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/candycane.asp
12/9/2009 8:48:03 AM
Bonnie Johnson United States
Bonnie Johnson
So happy to read the candy cane story again. Its a great story to tell my grandkids when I give them candy canes

Thanks
12/10/2009 4:20:30 PM
Erin Honduras
Erin
Definitely one of my favorites - the full story it just wonderful!
12/13/2009 3:05:43 PM
Ken United States
Ken
This is a wonderful "story", but that's all it is. It's a legend, a feel-good "Christian" story, that makes us believe that something purely secular in nature has some hidden, "true Christmas" meaning.

But it's not true.

And I think we do a disservice to people when we spread myths around during a time of year when we already have more than enough myths to go around.

Let's stick to the truth of Christ at Christmas, and let the origins of the candy cane stay a mystery.
12/14/2009 7:31:13 PM
Gary United States
Gary
Amen Denna, this story is NOT true. Let us keep Christ, and the truth, in Christmas. See www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/candycane.asp for the truth.
12/17/2009 7:52:03 AM
Corey United States
Corey
Whether the story is true or not doesn't really matter. We all know that Christmas (12/25) wasn't Jesus' actual birthday but was borrowed as an evangelical tool. If the candy cane can be used as a tool then Great! Aren't we supposed to see the things around us and give Glory to God and divert our attention back to him? I like the story and whether it is true or not does not matter. It's remembering what Christ did for us to bring us salvation. Merry Christmas!
12/13/2010 9:36:44 AM
connie sharp United States
connie sharp
Thats so cool!  I never knew the candy cane had so many meanings!  Thanks for sharing the true meaning of the candy cane!

-connie
12/13/2010 9:38:43 AM
connie sharp United States
connie sharp
Zumba rocks!!
12/13/2010 9:40:53 AM
connie sharp
connie sharp
Jesus Christ is my rock and my salvation,I will not be shaken!!

-connie
12/21/2010 12:56:11 PM
Andrea Weber Romania
Andrea Weber
Thanks for posting the candy cane story! Last week I handed out hats, mittens and scarves to the gypsy children that I work with that my Mom sent from Canada (she organized the project) and we shared the gospel to all 15 families in the village through the candy cane story! I think everyone should know this story Smile Merry Christmas!
12/22/2010 6:01:50 AM
LK Shinneman (Just LK) United States
LK Shinneman (Just LK)
Well Gary and Denna, at least you got the TRUTH out. I read the article with your link at snopes.com and to me it just doesn't matter? Even if it is not true as far as fact can prove it, then how do you believe that Jesus rose from the dead? Do we have the facts to back that claim up? Many people say we don’t but we believe anyway and in our hearts it becomes fact. We should rely on what is written in our heart not what is written as fact. Look at the parables. Were they true stories or made up stories with analogies to get His point across to all the people? I say if you want to use the stories that are more legend than truth but the purpose and end result helps people understand Jesus and Love then more power to them. As always, may His peace be with you and yours, now and forever…LK
12/29/2010 4:11:59 AM
Graham Australia
Graham
What a load of rubbish! Total yank wank. Too fictional to rate an entry in Wikipedia. Why do you people of the U.S. of A. like to think you are the source of everything?

What is the problem with telling people what the Bible says and no more?
3/6/2011 10:08:58 PM
Bleach costumes United States
Bleach costumes
Hi, colleague! I like your blog, it’s so interesting! I think it’s pretty popular, isn’t it? I would like to invite you to review my own blog: