Dec 15 2010

Advice - Love your enemies

From Matthew West's book GIVE THIS CHRISTMAS AWAY...

It's easy to give gifts at Christmas to the ones you love, isn't it?  I would imagine that the people who are on your Christmas shopping list are people whom you are quite fond of.  How about enemies?  Got any of those on your list this Christmas?  Most people aren't racing to the stores to buy a gift for that special arch nemesis in their lives.  Does someone come to mind who would be completely shocked to receive a gift or a card from you this Christmas?

Well, what if you did it?

What if you shocked that enemy of yours by taking the first step?  Even if it seems like it's too big a step to actually give gifts to our enemies, we are still called to pray for them.  That is something we can all stand to be reminded of.  I know that's not my first instinct when I think of someone who has hurt me.  Love your enemies.  We learned the lesson in Sunday school.  Consider this a little refresher course.

You have heard the law, that says, "Love your neighbor" and hate your enemy.  But I say, love your enemies!  Pray for those who persecute you!  In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven.  Matthew 4:43-45

12/15/2009 6:26:36 AM
Elizabeth W. United States
Elizabeth W.
One of my old boyfriends has hurt me beyond belief and never apologized and refuses to speak to me. I am realizing that as I pray for him forgiveness for me is about letting go and letting God. It is more about healing and releasing and allowing God to work. I pray that God will touch his heart and lead him back home because he too is a beautiful child of God. Some say God will work miracles of the heart if we just pray. So today I pray that God helps love him and change his heart.
12/15/2009 6:42:45 AM
Ruth Pinchi Peru
Ruth Pinchi
so nice!!! let's do it!
12/15/2009 6:51:21 AM
Apryl United States
Apryl
Where is the picture of "big foot"? I can't find it.
12/15/2009 6:55:36 AM
Brian United States
Brian
This is a great thought.  I would also encourage people to pray about all those who they interact with or come in contact with.  It doesn't have to be someone who you dislike.  Perhaps the Lord would like to touch that person that you see at the coffee shop every morning, or your new neighbors, or maybe some random person at the you pass by today.  I look at it in a way that our Father has placed me in this specific situation near all of these people for a reason and when I am looking and praying for it, there is almost always someone that I am lead to say something to or do something for.
12/15/2009 7:25:54 AM
Sheila United States
Sheila
Lisa, Thanks for sharing this important message. My husband and I have not seen his two daughters for six years. His ex-wife alienated them against us when he left her after she had 4 affairs. We love them and pray for them and his ex-wife every day asking God to bless them with His peace, love and forgiveness. We hold to our faith that one day God will one day restore the father-daughters relationship that my husband so dearly misses. May God bless you during His season and in the new year. Sheila
12/15/2009 7:53:22 AM
Ana Fonseca United States
Ana Fonseca
I have been "venting" my feelings towards my mother-in-law for the past week. I have been feeling annoyed by her and her comments latley and I have been trying to find ways to avoid her. Well today when a caller called, she taught me what God has been showing me. I need to pray for her, remeber the good she does, and be the one to show her love. Thank K-LoVe!! ;)
12/15/2009 10:34:00 AM
Margaret Feland United States
Margaret Feland
THIS IS A GREAT IDEA.  I HAVE BEEN DIVORCED FOR 25 YEARS.  IT TOOL ME ALOT OF YEARS TO FORGIVE HIS INFIDELITY.  HE WAS NEVER FAITHFUL BUT SAID HE WOULD CHANGE.  THAT NEVER HAPPENED.  HE TOLD ME I WAS STUPID, UGLY, FAT AND DISGUSTING.  HE TOLD ME I HAD NO FRIENDSI HAD NO SELF ESTEEM WHEN I DID LEAVE HIM.  AND I CARRIED AROUND ALOT OF HATE FOR YEARS, BUT I HAD A DAUGHTER TO THINK OF.  I DECIDED YEARS AGO TO FORGIVE HIM.  I THINK HE HAD NO SELF ESTEEM AND WANTED ME TO FEEL LIKE HE DID.  MISERY LOVES COMPANY.  WELL IT FEELS WONDERFUL TO FORGIVE HIM.  TO NOT HAVE THAT HATE FESTERING INSIDE.  I AN STILL HURT BUT THANKS OK.  I HOPE SOMEDAY TO BE ABLE TO TELL HIM I FORGIVE HIM.  I DONT'T KNOW HOW HE FEELS BUTI PRAY FOR HIM ALMOST DAILY.  MY DAUGTHER IS 28 YEARS OLD NOW.  GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME AND ALL THE TIME GOD IS GOOD.
12/15/2009 7:59:52 PM
MR United States
MR
Thank you for the wonderful Advent Calendar.  I have only recently learned to pray for forgiveness for those that have harmed me.  Today's suggestion has had me thinking all day.  How would I give a gift to one of those 3 people.  I'll keep praying for them, I know that - the gift will be a difficult one.

Thanks again for the wonderful stories, songs, and recommendations for better living.
12/17/2009 7:33:32 AM
Angela United States
Angela
I'm proud to say that I will be mailing a Christmas card not to just my ex-husband but also to my husband's ex-wife.  I know that God wants me to take this step to make peace between all of us.  Thank your for helping me see love your enemies in a different way.
12/15/2010 7:03:21 AM
Diana United States
Diana
There are a couple people who I feel that way about but am not sure I want to send them cards.  One is an old boyfriend and the story is like Elizabeth's.  I have been praying and I want to send a card to the family as I still care about them as brothers and sisters in the Lord, but am afraid he will misinterpret it.  I also have an old friend that we had a falling out and now we do not speak. It has been on my heart lately to do something but I do not want the same relationship with her and am afraid if I do take that step it will be the same, so I haven't. I continue to pray for both of them and for me that I might know God's will and to do it.
12/17/2010 7:58:28 AM
Caleb J. LeJune United States
Caleb J. LeJune
A Prayer For a Friend by Casting Crowns.  That is a perfect song to sing and pray for someone who you love or do not love so taht you can give the right words or pray the right words!