Dec 21 2010

Make Your Own Sugarplums

Sugarplums

2 cups whole almonds

1-1/2 cups dried apricots

1-1/2 cups dried plumbs (prunes)

2 teaspoons grated orange zest

1/3 cup honey

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

1 cup confectioners' sugar

Preheat oven to 400. Arrange almonds on a baking sheet in a single layer and toast in oven for ten minutes. Let cool. Add all ingredients, except sugar, to a food processor and pulse to chop and combine, process in two patches if necessary. Pinch off rounded teaspoon-sized pieces of the mixture and roll into balls and dredge balls in sugar. These can be stored and refrigerator in single layers between sheets of wax paper in an airtight container for up to one month. Makes about six dozen.

For more recipes and stories of food, family, and community go to www.scotthutcheson.com

12/21/2010 6:32:00 AM
faye United States
faye
how do you request a song? tried to call the 1800 # and no answer. Please play Joy Williams hallelujah song
12/21/2010 7:32:22 AM
Melanie Colson United States
Melanie Colson
I love this!!  Our daughter has been my sugar plum since birth (not sure why, I have never eaten one and always thought they were just part of the Nutcracker and not real).
We will make these and if they are trully as awesome as my sugar plum we will make this a new tradition.  :o)
We are adding three precious Haitian children to our fam this comming year and I am sure they will love making these!  Oh, the sticky fun mess we will make while creating memories that will last a lifetime.
Thank you!!
12/21/2010 7:35:27 AM
Matt United States
Matt
I don't know how strange anyone else finds this, but my Grandmother makes this amazing salad with different fruits, marshmallow fluff, little marshmallows, and some kind of cheese! It's really weird, but it tastes really good!
12/21/2010 7:37:55 AM
Robin United States
Robin
I have lived in Oklahoma my whole life. I have never heard of hot Dr. Pepper. Oh my.
Merry Christmas.
12/21/2010 7:38:28 AM
VIKI DUNN United States
VIKI DUNN
THE CONCESSION STAND AT OUR HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS EVENTS USED TO SERVE HOT DR. PEPPER WITH LEMON AND A PEPPERMINT STICK DURING THE FALL AND WINTER MONTHS.. IT IS REALLY GOOD WITH A FRITO PIE!

GOD BLESS AND KEEP ALL OF YOU AT KLOVE
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
12/21/2010 7:41:08 AM
Suzy United States
Suzy
Dr. Pepper used to advertise the hot holiday drink.  I remember seeing it during broadcast of the Junior Miss Pageant.
12/21/2010 7:45:05 AM
Priya K United States
Priya K
My brother started the tradition of orange fanta in hot hot chocolate. It tastes like orangy, fizzy, hot chocolate. I love it!
12/21/2010 7:47:27 AM
Bev Palmer United States
Bev Palmer
I never gave a thought to there being a recipe for sugar plumbs. I always thought it was part of a fairy tale and it really looks good. I think this will be a good tradition to add to the candy making with my grandchildren. Thank you for sharing, God Bless and Merry Christmas
12/21/2010 7:49:41 AM
Lauren United States
Lauren
I have lived in OK my whole life and this is the first I have heard of the hot Dr. Pepper. Yet, it sounds horriable! Yuck!

As for me and my families yearly Christmas tradition. It't not so much of a food tradition. I have my mom and two older sister. With that, we make up 7 grandkids. Every Christmas morning we wake up, open gifts at our own house (my sisters and I with our own family) then go to our mothers because we all with within 10 miles of eathother. We all go to our mom's ....all in our PJ's....start cooking a country breakfast while all 7 grandkids go to wake Nana. We eat breakfast and all sit by the tree...pray, and open gifts!
Its a wonderful tradition that i love sharing with my family!

I hope you all have a Very Merry Christmas!

God Bless!
12/21/2010 7:54:43 AM
Matt United States
Matt
also, we can't forget Charlie Brown's little sister's nightmare about sugarplums.
12/21/2010 8:02:03 AM
Marjorie United States
Marjorie
FLAMING RUM PUNCH
Steve Mellon/Post-Gazette
Flaming Rum Punch
Click photo for larger version
PG video: Gretchen heats up the holiday

PG tested

Clarence the Angel ponders ordering this fruity holiday punch at Nick's bar in "It's a Wonderful Life." But as Nick makes clear (with his left fist), that's not gonna fly: "Look, mister, we serve hard drinks in here for men who want to get drunk fast. And we don't need any characters around to give the joint atmosphere!"

* 6 whole oranges, unpeeled
    * Whole cloves
    * 1 bottle dark rum, pre-warmed
    * Sugar to taste
    * 1/2 gallon sweet cider
    * Ground cinnamon and nutmeg

Stick oranges full of cloves and bake in oven until they soften, 20 to 30 minutes at 350. Place oranges in a punch bowl, pour over them warmed rum and granulated sugar to taste. With a long match, set fire to the rum, and after a few moments add cider slowly to extinguish flame. Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg, and keep mixture warm, simmering on stovetop.

Serves a crowd.
12/21/2010 8:03:08 AM
Michelle United States
Michelle
I heard on the air that you were talking about warm Dr. Pepper for Christmas. I grew up in Oklahoma and I can honestly say I have never heard of warm Dr. Pepper for Christmas. In fact, I only knew a few people who drink Dr. Pepper at all, ever.

A new tradition my husband and I are going to start: He usually works Christmas day. He is in the air force and the mission cannot stop for the holiday. Our only child is now out of the house. So, I am going to meet my husband for "lunch" at Denny's on Christmas Eve at midnight when he normally eats lunch during his 12-hour graveyard shift.
12/21/2010 8:42:52 AM
Carol United States
Carol
You may also like to check out the link for real authentic sugar plums. I think I will try them both!
www.bbc.co.uk/victorianchristmas/‚Äčactivity/sugar-plums.shtml
1/4/2011 5:04:07 PM
whitley ugg boots United States
whitley ugg boots
i like th is blog site also lousy you could have so lots of unrelated comments