Dec 31 2010

Resolved

Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards (1703-1758), from the Works of Jonathan Edwards

Being sensible that I am unable to do anything without God's help, I do humble entreat Him, by His grace, to enable me to keep these Resolutions, so far as they are agreeable to His will, for Christ's sake. [I will] remember to read over these Resolutions once a week.

Resolved, That I will do whatsoever I think to be most to the glory of God, and my own good, profit, and pleasure, in the whole of my duration; without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriads of ages hence. Resolved, to do whatever I think to be my duty, and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general.

Resolved, Never to lose one moment of time, but to improve it in the most profitable way I possibly can.

Resolved, to live with all my might, while I do live.

Resolved, Never to do anything, which I should be afraid to do if it were the last hour of my life.

Resolved, Never to do anything out of revenge.

Resolved, Never to speak evil of any one, so that it shall tend to his dishonor, more or less, upon no account except for some real good.

Resolved, To study the Scriptures so steadily, constantly, and frequently, as that I may find, and plainly perceive, myself to grow in the knowledge of the same.

Resolved, Never to count that a prayer, nor to let that pass as a prayer, nor that as a petition of a prayer, which is so made, that I cannot hope that God will answer it; nor that as a confession which I cannot hope God will accept.

Resolved, To ask myself, at the end of every day, week, month, and year, wherein I could possibly, in any respect, have done better.

Resolved, Never to give over, nor in the least to slacken, my fight with my corruptions, however unsuccessful I may be.

Resolved, After afflictions, to inquire, what I am the better for them; what good I have got by them, and what I might have got by them.

Resolved, Always to do that which I shall wish I had done when I see others do it. Let there be something of benevolence in all that I speak.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (22) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

12/31/2009 6:19:56 AM
Paul D Washburn United States
Paul D Washburn
These resolutions of Jonathan Edwards are a gift; one of guidance coming from one who has gone before, and one of great hope that we can re-awaken ourselves to this way of thinking today. I have never been a believer in New Year's resolutions. Like many things today, they have become a joke. The thoughtful seriousness that is shown in Edwards' view of a resolution is wholly different from the ones we have become so familiar with today. I will make note of his thoughts and resolve to follow to the best of my ability what was his desire so long ago.
12/31/2009 7:46:26 AM
Zane Jacks United States
Zane Jacks
Hey Lisa
This is an awesome list. I don't usually have such lofty thoughts on my own, so it gives me ideas for my own resolutions!  I think this must be the same guy who preached "Sinners in the hands of an angry God." Sadly, I still need to include weight loss on my list ):
Zane
12/31/2009 9:43:12 AM
Linda Bradosky United States
Linda  Bradosky
You guys are great to listen to whenever, wherever; just all the time !!! Keep up the good work for the Lord of All-- JESUS  !!!!!!!!  The  New Years Resolves are very good --I will try to print them up-- great things to go by. Lin
1/1/2010 5:09:31 AM
Marius Vladutoiu Romania
Marius Vladutoiu
Hey Guys,

been listening to you this morning, and it's great to hear you. I am a faithful listener, even out here on the other side of God's earth. I have my Klove and Air1 stickers on my car for years now and am proud of that. God bless you with another year of humble service for His glory!
marius
1/1/2010 6:09:31 AM
Laura Cleland United States
Laura Cleland
When I woke up this morning I happened to hear Lisa mention the Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards. It sounded interesting and I decided to look on line to read them; pretty spirit moving, very meaningful to me.  I was already thinking about changes I planned to make within my life that would glorify God and after reading his writings it gave me a different perspective on how to write mine.

Thank you Lisa for sharing this with your listeners.  I enjoying listening to K-Love everyday, and pray you all will continue to minister to others daily.  May you all at K-Love have a Blessed and Prosperous New Year In Christ Jesus!
1/1/2010 7:30:47 AM
Melissa Saffelder United States
Melissa Saffelder
I had heard these on the air yesterday morning and was "resolved" to look them up.  Thank you so much for posting them.
1/1/2010 7:41:49 AM
Gabrielle Sallard United States
Gabrielle Sallard
Hi Lisa
1/1/2010 7:42:01 AM
Gabrielle Sallard United States
Gabrielle Sallard
Hi eric
1/1/2010 11:51:45 AM
Becky Crawford United States
Becky Crawford
This gives me pause. Neither do I believe in the New Years resolutions of this world, but find these a way to strive daily...no matter the day.
1/1/2010 5:05:07 PM
Julie United States
Julie
Thank you!  This is beautiful.  So glad you shared it with us. God's blessings in 2010 - I listen to you whenever I can.  I deliver papers in the wee hours every day.  You keep me awake and aware.
1/3/2010 7:30:47 PM
mark Christopher United States
mark Christopher
Lisa, I know today you are collecting inspirational quotes. Here's one:

"The only true measure to loving God is to love Him without measure."

also, the one I adopted when I contracted cancer:
"Life is not about eliminating storms, but learning to dance in the rain.."
1/4/2010 6:48:26 AM
Diane Ward United States
Diane Ward
Awesome, Lisa -- thanks!  This is much  more thought-provoking than the "civility pledge."
1/4/2010 11:21:34 AM
edlisA2J United States
edlisA2J
'Resolved, That I will do whatsoever I think to be most to the glory of God, and my own good, profit, and pleasure, in the whole of my duration;' I think there are lots of times that what glorifies God the most is not necessarily what gives me the most pleasure and profit. A nice set of lofty resolutions -- if you can understand them. I'd rather have something more practical that I can grasp and put into daily use.
12/31/2010 6:28:49 PM
Leslie United States
Leslie
I am choosing a word for 2011. Trying to put my word in a positive light. I started with "diligent", then "dutiful", but neither of these was going to help me overcome my procrastination or actually motivate me to do better. So after getting on webster.com I came across (I would say GOD lead me to) my chosen word. I am nearly brought to tears as I think of the possibilities of living throughout 2011 with this word in my forethought in all I do and for all people I encounter (especially my immediate family). My 2011 One Word Resolution is

attentive

adj \ə-ˈten-tiv\
Definition of ATTENTIVE
1: mindful, observant <attentive to what he is doing>
2: heedful of the comfort of others
1/1/2011 4:00:56 PM
Wayne Nall United States
Wayne Nall
Wow!  Stirring words to start the New Year! Thanks for sharing this!
1/2/2011 10:10:43 AM
Michelle United States
Michelle
Big Thank you to Chris August! He is such a blessing, saw his concert in Indianapolis last night.  God is using him in many ways to reach others!!! Thank you Lord!

1/3/2011 6:18:23 AM
Denise Romo United States
Denise Romo
Thanks for your encouragement daily.  As I read about giving God  His glory and trusting Him instead of allowing a "craving" to be temporarily met with food it touched my heart.
The word "crave' means demand.
Ps. 106 says that God's people "craved intensely in the wilderness ( or demanded their own way) and He gave them their request, but sent leanness into their souls."
A Pastor told me that "leanness into their souls" means that they stopped responding to God.
I beieve that satisfying my cravings with food instead of going to the Bread of Life has brought a leanness to my soul.  Today, His presence brought light and understanding to this.  Amen.
1/3/2011 12:14:08 PM
Rob Martin United States
Rob Martin
convicting words, these!  printed these off to study and incorporate somewhat into my own start-the-year-fresh resolutions.  love you guys in the morning - thanks for sharing!
1/11/2011 5:26:17 AM
Lt Derrick Becton United States
Lt Derrick Becton
Lisa, I heard you this morning in Tallahassee, FL.  I am at a class and was surfing the radio while driving there.  I hope all is well.  Keep it slow!!!!!

LT Derrick Becton