Jan 03 2011

Made to Crave - Day One

Day 1: Chocolate Is My Comfort and Deliverer

Thought for the Day: Eating in its proper context is not the problem. God gave us food for nourishment, strength, and even celebration. But when pleasure becomes unrestrained, there’s a problem.

God made you wonderful. Psalm 139 says you are wonderfully and fearfully made. You are beautiful and loved, no matter if you’re a size zero or a size thirty. You are beautiful just the way you are. But God loves you so much that He doesn’t want you to stay in a place of defeat.

There was a time when I felt utterly defeated in the area of food and health. I knew that I needed to make changes not because of the number on the scale or what clothing size I was. I knew it because of the battle that raged in my heart. I craved, I desired, I thought about, and arranged my life around food.

Yet I was a Bible teacher. I was a woman who loved Jesus. Why couldn’t I figure this out? I had found victory in so many areas of my life, but this area alluded me. I constantly asked, “Why shouldn’t I indulge?”

One day I looked up the definition of the word indulge, which means “unrestrained action.” And for me, it was unrestrained eating. You see, eating in its proper context is not the problem. God gave us food for nourishment, strength, and even celebration. But when pleasure becomes unrestrained, there’s a problem.

I had to get honest enough to admit it that I relied on food more than I relied on God. I craved food more than I craved God. Chocolate was my comfort and deliverer. Cookies were my reward. Salty chips were my joy. Food was what I turned to in times of stress, sadness, and even in times of happiness.

I knew it was something God was challenging me to surrender to His control. Really surrender. Surrender to the point where I’d make radical changes for the sake of my spiritual health perhaps even more than my physical health.

Part of my surrender was asking myself a different question, a really raw question. May I ask you this same question? Is it possible we love and rely on food more that we love and rely on God?

Now before you delete this, hear me out. This question is crucial. We have to see the purpose of our struggle with food as something more than getting to wear smaller sizes and receive compliments. Shallow desires produce shallow efforts. These good things are nice, but not as appealing in the moment as a cinnamon roll, or those chips, or that brownie.

The process of getting healthy has to be about more than just losing weight and focusing on ourselves. It’s not about adjusting our diets and hoping for good physical results. It’s about recalibrating our souls so that we want to change for the right reasons. I’ve realized that a healthy eating plan can be one of the most significant spiritual journeys I’d ever dared to take with God. As you join me for the next twenty days, I hope you soon say the same thing!

To get the book Made to Crave, click here

For more information about Lysa TerKeurst and her book Made to Crave, please visit: http://madetocrave.org/

1/3/2011 4:42:18 AM
Laura United States
Laura
Good Stuff! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to read along with you.
1/3/2011 4:42:48 AM
Kim United States
Kim
I have struggled with my relationship with food for a very long time. Thanks for your insights. I am looking at it in a different way.
1/3/2011 4:44:24 AM
Jill United States
Jill
This is very powerful in just the first day.  I will be back for the other days to read what is said.  Thanks for sharing...
1/3/2011 4:46:15 AM
Amy United States
Amy
Thanks Eric.  My weight has always been something I needed to work on, but I always lacked initiative and will power.  I'll work on this with you and see where it takes me.  Through the Lord all things are possible and I leave this with Him to help me become a better me.
1/3/2011 5:02:04 AM
Traci United States
Traci
'nuff said
1/3/2011 5:05:31 AM
Cindy United States
Cindy
Thanks Eric, this what my family was talking about yesterday. Confirmation is what this is to me.
1/3/2011 5:09:34 AM
Susan Goodfriend United States
Susan Goodfriend
This came at the right time. I have had this question in my mind for a long time now, and believe this is an answer to prayer.
1/3/2011 5:21:45 AM
Ruth Ann Bowen United States
Ruth Ann Bowen
I'm a pastor's wife and co-founder of Nurturing Naturally, a group dedicated to connecting yesterday's pantry into today's kitchen. We inform and educate people on the why's and how's of eating real food...food God designed us to eat, not man. Please join us at www.facebook.com/NurturingNaturally where you will find the tools and encouragement needed to eat your healthiest in this new year!

Naturally,
Ruth Ann Bowen
1/3/2011 5:29:58 AM
colleen caldrer davis United States
colleen caldrer davis
i always thought that i needed to be forgiven when i thought about members of the clergy on the altar who were overweight. next time i will think about how they feel about this important issue and pray for themSmileSmileSmile
1/3/2011 5:39:20 AM
Chris United States
Chris
SO true and so refreshing to hear someone else with challenge! Today I was planning on restarting a new way of eating. I was on a plan lost weight,had alot of energy, even was able to stop taking some pain meds. Then I stopped. I really think why I stopped and never restarted is bc I enjoy food and cooking. Being a caterer and loving to cook can be even more of a challange! But hearing this on the radio today gave me a fresh look at the why not restart and see it through. More then ever now I have a desire to love and crave HIm more then food and the fun of cooking!  Day 1 here I come!
1/3/2011 5:51:19 AM
Amy United States
Amy
I am so excited!  Thank you Eric!  This topic has been on my heart for so long and listening to your show on my way to work just confirmed what God was trying to tell me.  My husband gave me a Kindle for Christmas and I just downloaded her book!  Can't wait to get home after work and start reading!  God Bless you and Klove!
1/3/2011 6:12:13 AM
Marty United States
Marty
I can't believe that my husband and I were talking about getting back on track with weight watchers over the weekend and started back this morning!  Then to come in and read this.  How true it is when you quoted:  "But God loves you so much that He doesn’t want you to stay in a place of defeat."  I was there earlier last year, found God and lost 35 pounds.  I stumbled over the Holidays and now it's time to stand again and invest more time in my relationship with God rather than eating!  Thank you for the encouragement that this has given me.
1/3/2011 6:18:51 AM
Jamie United States
Jamie
THANK YOU!!!  I have never thought of my weight issue being a spiritual issue.  I am so excited about starting this journey of "surrendering!"  Thanks again!
1/3/2011 6:38:09 AM
Bradley A Harris United States
Bradley A Harris
Food has always been a weakness for myself.
It is not that I crave any one food. I tend to overdo what I do eat. I will seek God's gudiance is this.
1/3/2011 7:00:43 AM
Kathy Shaw United States
Kathy Shaw
I crave more of God.I just can't get enough.Church on the Rock of Savannah,Tn. is having a revival,with Nancy Harmon and Her group.Please tell everyone.
1/3/2011 7:20:00 AM
Jennifer United States
Jennifer
Thank you so much. It is almost like you took the words straight from my heart. Food, eating, weight, and all that goes along with it has been an issue for me since middle school. I had problems, major problems, with anorexia from the 7th grade all the way through my first pregnancy (about 6 years). I remember being 8 months pregnant and the doctor telling me I had not gained any weight, and me thinking that was good. Well that little girl changed my life, and I'd like to say that all the food "issues" went away but they didn't. I wasn't as bad as I once was because I had to have food for energy. Now I have 4 kids (13,11,4 &2) and as you put it "Chocolate Is My Comfort and Deliverer" I really want that to change. I'm not looking for that thin little girl from 14 years ago, I am looking for a healthy me to chase after all these kids. I listen to you everyday in my car, on my computer and I am ready to take this journey! Thank you so much!

1/3/2011 7:43:53 AM
darlene United States
darlene
My word for this year is HEALTH! I prayed for my word after listening to klove! I didn't want a resolution I would fail at! Now I'm listening this morning & hear about craving! I started crying all I can say is WOW GOD! I can't wait to take this journey! Thank you for doing what you do everyday! By the way HEALTH is for more than physical, its also for spiritual, emotional, financial, relationships basically to be healthy all the way across the board! God Bless you!
1/3/2011 8:05:51 AM
Lisa United States
Lisa
Jamie, How funny you said that. My husband and I are starting back on weight watchers today. I never quit my membership but like so many others, have now gained back alot of the weight I lost. I so appreciated seeing this today as I am diagnosed as an addict and unfortunately, you must eat to live. I hope I can start eating to live as opposed to living to eat. Thank you Eric for this post. I pray God gives me the strength to have a forever change.
1/3/2011 8:07:47 AM
Paula United States
Paula
Okay, I'll join you.
1/3/2011 8:16:12 AM
Jennifer F. United States
Jennifer F.
The answer to your question is a resounding YES...and I need to make a major change. Ordered my copy today...thank you thank you thank you for this!
1/3/2011 8:17:44 AM
Melanie United States
Melanie
Our God is so incredibly faithful!  I have never really had this problem with food until the past year.  Last night I finally talked honestly with the Lord about it and realized that I need to make some serious changes in my eating and excercise self control.  Not until this morning, listening to you, did I realize that this is not only physical but spiritual.
1/3/2011 8:22:09 AM
Vicki Madden United States
Vicki Madden
This sounds great! I'm so unhappy and unhealthy because of my weight.  I need help.  I'm sure willing to give it my best shot.  Love you guys and listen every day. Thanks!!
1/3/2011 8:58:09 AM
Sarah Nelson United States
Sarah Nelson
I have never thought of it that way before that is cool way to think about it. Thank you. I am going to keep up with it.
1/3/2011 9:23:02 AM
Martha United States
Martha
I listened this morning. I am on board. I will be Praying also.
1/3/2011 10:12:17 AM
Betty United States
Betty
Last year I lost 45 pounds. I felt so good.
During the last 2 months I gain back 16 pounds!
I wasn't that bad with food! Why are we that way?
I going to work to get that 16 pounds off!
We are example of His temple. Pray for me.
It's made me a little depress. God doesn't want us to be that way!
1/3/2011 10:24:22 AM
Lucy DelSarto United States
Lucy DelSarto
Good stuff~ appreciate your approach and insight.  As a wellness coach, I emphasize our body is our temple and if you don't care of it, where will you live?  Wellness is about balance and discipline otherwise you'll live with regret. TCOY = Take Care of You.
1/3/2011 11:10:25 AM
Laurie United States
Laurie
This is wonderful!  Perfect for the new year and the priorities in my life.  Keep 'em coming!
1/3/2011 11:56:11 AM
Callie United States
Callie
Last night the preacher said to take your mountain in 2011. This is one thing that keeps me from my mountain and that ends starting today. Part of my job is to sample food so this will not be easy, but I want my mountain.
1/3/2011 12:01:47 PM
Denise Romo United States
Denise Romo
Hi, thanks for your sharing about food and craving.
  The word "crave" has a meaning of "demand".
In Psalms 106 is says that "The people  craved in the wilderness. (demanded their own way)
  God gave them their request, but sent a leanness to their souls."
Our Pastor told us that it meant they stopped responding to God.
  The cravings I have had for food has brought a leanness to my heart.  Thanks to His Word and hearing about this topic of craving I have and understanding!!
1/3/2011 3:21:11 PM
Lindsay McPhail United States
Lindsay  McPhail
I have totally seen where I have used food as my idol... my healer... and my comfort... My mom just ordered the book for me and I can't wait to read it!!!
1/3/2011 5:19:41 PM
Martha Collins United States
Martha Collins
Really nice. Thanks for doing this. I'm going to commit to visiting every day and put God before food. I really like that thought. Surrender to God instead of food to make myself feel better. I really think I can do this.
1/3/2011 5:23:23 PM
Tina Morris United States
Tina Morris
Thank you for this information.  I am excited to read the daily postings and change my life forever.
1/3/2011 6:23:39 PM
Angia Hughes United States
Angia Hughes
Love this!  Amen! It's as if this was written with me in mind--although chocolate truly is not my main weakness, still the same principle applies. Overeating is a spiritual and mental battle that manifests itself physically in my life.
Thank you so much... eager to read the daily posts.
1/3/2011 7:09:57 PM
Tara United States
Tara
Thank you so much for this journey, I am looking forward to reading your book
1/3/2011 7:12:05 PM
Krista United States
Krista
What she says makes sense...I do myself rely on food alot...I don't know if I desire food more that the Lord, but I love to eat and I would rather most times spend money on fast food than cooking something...it's starting to make me feel guilty so maybe I do rely more on food than God then I realize.

Chocolate is definitely my weakness...I have to have it everyday.

What a great post! I can't wait to read along Smile
1/3/2011 7:22:24 PM
Tara United States
Tara
Wow! This is so powerful!  I KNOW that I have relied on food more than God.  I never ate for comfort until I started my teaching career.  When I had a stressul day with the kids, I thought to myself, "A Hershey bar would make me feel better right now."  And, it did, in the moment, but that moment of comfort was fleeting.  I know that God's comfort is sustaining, the opposite of fleeting.  I have failed at weight loss so many times because I lived in the moment of comfort or pleasure rather than seeking comfort in lasting sources, such as our Lord.  I am looking forward to this soul-searching journey.  Hoping to find what will heal this emptiness that I fill with the wrong kind of comfort...
1/3/2011 8:00:44 PM
Laurie United States
Laurie
The email address kind of says it all doesn't it? Big Beautiful Laurie. I have to remind myself that I'm beautiful in spite of being 357 lbs. God sees my beauty. Sometimes others see it. I have even realized that my image of myself is about 150 lbs smaller than I really am. God's protection? Maybe. I need this more than you can know and have asked my friends to join me in the journey. Thank you!
1/3/2011 10:45:59 PM
Bev United States
Bev
Wow, SO glad to have found this.  So glad I fanned or liked, or whatever I did, the KLOVE page which posted and made me aware of Crave.  Would NOT want to have missed it.  I too need all of your support!  Perhaps someone can create a Yahoo group or something for us to continue to chat on and encourage each on.  Maybe I should check out Lysa's web site.  It probably already has something like this.  Anyway, strength, success, healing, balance, and blessings to everyone.
1/4/2011 4:26:30 AM
Dawn United States
Dawn
Praying that God will use this information to make a change in me. Listening with interest... Hoping and trusting.
1/4/2011 7:19:20 AM
Racher United States
Racher
I have known for quite a while that I was using food as a substitute for Him, I've been praying that God would help me in the area of my weight.  What an answer to prayer.  Thank you!!!
1/4/2011 7:29:24 AM
Laurie United States
Laurie
Lysa, you really "get it"!  Thank you so much for this blog!  I hope you don't mind that I linked you on my "blogroll".

Looking forward to this series every day.

Laurie
1/4/2011 7:50:51 PM
Linda United States
Linda
This may be what I need, I've tried everything else. Why is it that when nothing else works, THEN we turn to God.

Pray that this time I'll put what I learn to work
1/5/2011 8:56:04 AM
Linda T. United States
Linda T.
I lost 50 pounds turning to God on The Lord's Table course through settingcaptivesfree.com(which is really awesome!). Putting God first, turning to Him, worshiping Him and getting into the Word replaces our cravings for food. Our thoughts and actions then are for God's glory.

I still have another 40 or so pounds to go. I have been stagnant because I had finished the course and felt like I had no other "place" to go. Now I can study this blog, the book and get back into building my relationship with God. I might even start a small group at my church!

I am so thankful that God has used you, Lysa to writing this book and opening our eyes to the truth!
1/5/2011 1:07:40 PM
Michelle United States
Michelle
After listening to Lisa on Monday morning I rushed to read this blog post. I have been feeling the pull of God to come closer to Him again and Lisa's message has hit a sore spot in my heart that surely needs repair.

I'm getting ready to venture into a small group Bible Study ONLINE and wonder if it's ok to direct people to your blog as we work through Lisa's book? Thanks for this breath of fresh air!
2/11/2011 4:42:08 AM
number 4 United States
number 4
2/14/2011 3:43:52 AM
Kendall United States
Kendall
I am just starting this journey today, and already I see it is going to be an amazing journey.  Food, is also my struggle.  The powerful statements from Lisa that say "It’s about recalibrating our souls so that we want to change for the right reasons. I’ve realized that a healthy eating plan can be one of the most significant spiritual journeys I’d ever dared to take with God" is so amazingly true.  I can't wait to begin my new journey that Jesus Christ has directed me towards - Made to Crave!
Thanks so much KLove for all you do!