Jan 04 2011

Made to Crave - Day Two

Day 2: Overweight Physically and Underweight Spiritually

Based on the Introduction of Made to Crave

Thought for the Day: God made us capable of craving so we’d have an unquenchable desire for more of Him, and Him alone. Nothing changes until we make the choice to redirect our misguided cravings to the only One capable of satisfying them.

My journey to healthy eating didn’t gain traction by counting calories or obeying rules of the food pyramid. The process began in earnest when I admitted that, yes, I was overweight physically. But, more importantly, I was underweight spiritually. I was spiritually malnourished. Tying these two issues together is what opened my eyes to see God in a whole new way.

I’m reminded of the story in the Bible where a rich young man comes to see Jesus. The young man explains that he is following all the religious rules, but still feels something is missing from his pursuit of God. He asks, “What do I still lack?” Jesus answers, “If you want to be perfect [whole], go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me” (Matthew 19:20–21 NIV).

The rich young man then goes away sad because he won’t give up the one thing that consumes him. He is so full with his riches he can’t see how undernourished his soul is. It’s at this point in the biblical story that most of us start to look at all the rich people we know and think, “Well, I sure hope they get this message. Good thing I’m not rich. Good thing Jesus doesn’t ask me to sacrifice in this way.” Or does He?

Jesus meant His comment for any of us who wallow in whatever abundance we have. I imagine Jesus looked straight into this young man’s soul and said, “I want you to give up the one thing that you crave more than Me.”

For me, I was like the rich young man when it came to eating. I refused healthier breakfast options, such as egg whites and fruit, while filling myself with candy-sprinkled doughnuts. I choose soda instead of water, chips instead of carrot sticks. Even when my sugar high crashed and I complained of splitting headaches, sluggishness, and unwanted extra weight, I steadfastly refused to even consider giving up my daily brownie.

God made us capable of craving so that we’d have an unquenchable desire for more of Him, and Him alone. Nothing changes until we make the choice to redirect our misguided cravings to the only One capable of satisfying them.

Paul wrote to Christians, “I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better” (Ephesians 1:17 NIV).

I don’t know about you, but to me this one benefit of knowing God better is worth all the effort and sacrifice that a healthy eating journey requires. It’s easy to feel that our struggle with food is such an unfair deal. But I encourage you to see the process today as a path that offers both physical and spiritual benefits.

To get the book Made to Crave, click here

For more information about Lysa TerKeurst and her book Made to Crave, please visit: www.MadetoCrave.org

1/4/2011 4:47:46 AM
Tiffanie Bilbrey United States
Tiffanie Bilbrey
I woke up this morning listening to K-Love as I always do on my alarm clock and heard Lysa talking about her book. This is so powerfuel and one saying I will take with me today is, "What do I turn to before I turn to God."

Thank you Lysa and K-Love for your ministry
1/4/2011 4:57:15 AM
Denise Romo United States
Denise Romo
Good morning! Reading your thought for today keeps me aware and awake to the truth about my non-thinking habits.  The emptiness of sugar snacks is such a contrast to the completeness in worship to Jesus.  Yesterday I took out my guitar and sang to Him.  My heart was filled and a friend called asking for words to a worship song we once sang.   The love and presence of God completely filled me.   A step at a time- perhaps a heart song at a time.  He is always there when hearts worship Him.
Eph. 5:18
" Be filled with the Spirit,speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord."
1/4/2011 5:03:49 AM
Cindy United States
Cindy
I listen to K-Love on my way to work (and sometimes at work) and heard the comment on the scripture about taking up the cross. I especially "got" the comment about that which we all seem to forget with this verse being "deny thyself." How often is this so completely overlooked or just not understood. It was like a light went on when you spoke this Lysa. I have been under a tremendous amount of stress and have taken pretty much all the steps I needed to to eliminate that stress. I eat the Mediterranean Diet plan, I have enrolled in a gym and I am there three days a week for about 2 hours. I outsourced the cause of my stress which was taking care of my elderly mother. I still contribute a lot but not nearly as much as I was doing for her. She was extremely demanding of my time and I was getting very sick. I had gotten to the point where I had no voice - not joking here - exhausted ALL the time, and completely felt like I would collapse at any moment. Mom now has help in her home three days a week from elder services, her groceries are taken care of by my niece, and I have "forced" the issue of involving my brother in helping out. Until now, he just did not! Neighbors get her mail for her as she lives in a community that has a mail room, no individual house delivery.

This year instead of making a list of resolutions which usually are broken within weeks, I am focusing on God and what He wants from me and making a list of the those things. I have come such a long way over the last six months and I am so looking forward to the next six months and where God is taking me. It is exciting and you have contributed to this excitement with this one statement. thank you!
1/4/2011 5:15:20 AM
Jeanne Duran United States
Jeanne Duran
As I listened to KLOVE this morning while getting ready for work, I was challenged by God to really hear what He was saying through you, Eric and Lysa.  What am I willing to give up to follow Him completely?  A tough question that requires much soul-searching!  I know what I want the answer to be: I want to say I will forsake all and follow Christ completely - but will I?  What will He ask me to give up?  I pray my answer can be: whatever He asks of me.  I can continue my search by focusing on this study and others He has directed me to - thanks Lysa, for being obedient to Him and writing this book.  And thank you, Eric and KLOVE for bringing our attention to these important truths!  God bless each of you.
1/4/2011 5:21:06 AM
Karen United States
Karen
LOVE the topic this morning!!  GOD has done some serious work on me and YES, I crave the Lord more and more.
1/4/2011 6:40:00 AM
Diana United States
Diana
Proverbs 31 Ministries - Encouragement for Today has been instrumental in my christian walk as Klove.  The Lord has used this ministry to speak to my heart, guide my thoughts and answer my prayers.  Two avenues I believe that should go hand in hand in any christian's walk is Klove and Crosswalk.com.  Lysa Terkeurst's devotionals have touched my life in many ways, and I look forward to her articles.  Prayers that the Lord continues to bless these ministries to grow His kingdom.  Blessings Diana =o)
1/4/2011 6:46:50 AM
Trisha United States
Trisha
WOW. I am ordering the book now. I found this Sunday on the KLOVE site and have asked our church Lifegroup leader if I can host a study this Spring. So, to hear you this morning was so wonderful, very encouraging. Thank you Lysa your a blessing to all of us. Thank you KLOVE for loving us to see a wonderful resource in Lysa....
1/4/2011 7:45:40 AM
Laura United States
Laura
"You have made your way around this hill country long enough; now turn north." Deuteronomy 2:3. WOW how powerful Lysa, thank you sharing this verse this morning. Through this verse I have heard God's cry and plead for my heart. Remebering that He is a jealous God and desires the closest relationship with us so lets cut the fat so we can get a little closer to the loving Hevenly FatherSmile and CRAVE Him as he has been craving us. He gave His Son so that we could have victory every minute of every day - We are more than conquerors in Christ.

1/4/2011 8:34:26 AM
Melissa United States
Melissa
Wow. I heard Lysa talking about her book on the radio this morning and then I came here and read this. It hit home in a major way so I went and bought the book. I can't wait to get it and see what God has in store. Thanks!!!
1/4/2011 8:54:27 AM
Terri United States
Terri
I heard you on the radio this morning and although, I am not overweight, do exercise & generally eat good, I do crave more of the Lord. Found your conversation very motivating, interesting and applicable to everyone (with weight issues & without). Going to order your book! Smile
1/4/2011 10:38:05 AM
Paula Jones United States
Paula Jones
Thank the Lord for putting your testimony and knowledge in my path We are all searching and craving as you say and I,m in search of direction and spiritual growth, being a preacher's wife has made my journey clouded at times and in need of knowledge as a helpmate and we have so much pressure from the world.Thanks once again for following your calling and filling my life with more hope of nourishing my soul more and my body less.
1/4/2011 1:40:19 PM
Mel @ Trailing After God United States
Mel @ Trailing After God
I'm so excited to join you in this journey!  I have my book and I have NO choice now but to do it as I now have type 2 diabetes.  I want to be able to control it with diet and exercise and not be on meds or have it ruin my life.  So far, so good!

Please feel free to stop by: <a href="http://melindatodd.com">Trailing After God</a>
1/4/2011 3:05:45 PM
Holly United States
Holly
I was so excited to turn on K-Love this morning and hear that you were the co-host for the next 2 days. I get the Proverbs 31 daily devotionals and they have been such a source of strength and encouragement for me. Last week I got the personal message from Lysa in my e-mail regarding the Made to Crave book. I read an excerpt from the book and immediately knew it was what I needed. When I opened my Facebook on Monday morning and saw the link with K-Love and Made to Crave I KNEW that God was speaking to me and telling me that I needed to crave Him instead of the other things in my life. I am so excited about this journey and what the Lord will teach me through the book! Thank you!
1/4/2011 3:22:21 PM
David Puckett United States
David Puckett
I crave a closer relationship with God.
1/4/2011 4:33:19 PM
Suzy United States
Suzy
I'm thrilled that you are having Lysa co-host!  I've been reading the book and it has really impacted me - my thoughts & my actions.  Will I deny myself of the bad food for Jesus?  With His help I can, and with his strength I will.  Thank you, Lysa & Eric & K-Love for really getting the message out there. This book is not only for women, but for everyone!  I can't wait to begin the on-line study and webcasts!  God bless you!
1/4/2011 6:44:15 PM
Kristi United States
Kristi
i was on my drive to the gym this morning before work at 4:30am and God obviously knew i needed to hear Lisa this morning because i almost didn't go to the gym. I was so glad to listen to her and it really set my attitude for the day. I have ordered the book and am anxious to read it. I never really thought about asking God for help in this area of my life and now i am going to focus on him to help continue this journey of weight loss and a healthier lifestyle. Thanks KLOVE for having Lisa on the show and thank you Lisa for sharing your story!!
1/5/2011 7:50:11 AM
Cindy United States
Cindy
This has re-opened my eyes again...I used to say the first commandment, you shall have no other Gods before me ment the money God, material God, golf God, alcohol God; but never did I think to include the food God. Your passage makes so much sense now, I was being a hypocryte! I plan to continue on this journey and quinch my craving by turning to God. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
1/5/2011 9:06:35 AM
Linda T. United States
Linda T.
After listening to your show yesterday, I have started a fast on sugar. I know that this is one of the things that I turn to instead of God! I want Him to know how much I love Him and that I will not put other things before him!