Jan 05 2011

Made to Crave - Day 3

Day 3: Excuse Me, Pass the Shame … Please

Based on Chapter 5 of Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst

Thought for the Day: We were made for more! More than this failure … more than this cycle … more than being ruled by our taste buds, body image, rationalizations, and guilt. We were made for victory. Sometimes we just have to find our way to that truth.

More than once, I’ve held the latest, greatest, diet book in one hand with my other hand wedged into the back pocket of my ever-tightening jeans. But the thought of taking the plunge and signing up for another diet made me want to sit down and cry. I’d return the book to the shelf, toss my head back, and sigh, “Another day, another time. I’m doing the best I can right now.”

It is so tempting to quit the health struggle entirely and pretend it doesn’t really matter spiritually. But it does matter and not just for the physical or emotional setbacks. It’s the denial of a fundamental spiritual truth. What is this truth?

Your parents might have said it to you when you got sassy and disrespectful …

“More is expected of you. You aren’t a brat, so don’t act like one.”

Your teacher might have said it to you when turned in a halfhearted term paper …

“You have more potential as a student than what you’ve shown here.”

Your friends have definitely said it when your loser boyfriend dumped you …

“He didn’t deserve you. You’re worthy of a better love than he could offer.”

Today, your heavenly Father is telling you the same truth: “You were made for more!” More than this failure … more than this cycle of defeat … more than being ruled by taste buds, body image, rationalizations, guilt, and shame. You were made for victory.

Ephesians 1:18–19 says: “I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which [God] has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe.”

This truth is a great script to play in our heads every time we’re tempted with guilt, rationalizations, or the “I’ll-do-better-tomorrow” escape clauses. Do any of these sound familiar?

“I’m good in every other area.”

“I’ll do better tomorrow.”

“For heaven’s sake, everyone has issues. So what if food is mine?”

Addressing our thinking is one of the most crucial steps toward permanent progress in any area and stopping the cycle of shame and defeat. We have to rewrite those negative scripts by getting into the habit of saying truth. And, the first of these truths is, “I was made for more.” Wrapped in this truth is a wisdom and revelation that unlocks great power.

We need a power beyond our frail attempts and fragile resolve. We need strength greater than our taste buds, hormones, temptations, and our inborn female demand for chocolate. Yes, the truth of who we are and the power to live out that truth—that’s what we need. So, say it out loud with me today: I was made for more!

To get the book Made to Crave, click herewww.MadetoCrave.org

For more information about Lysa TerKeurst and her book Made to Crave, please visit:

1/5/2011 4:09:04 AM
Like to remain anonymous United States
Like to remain anonymous
Wow Wednesday...
I lost my 47 year old sister to cancer 2 years ago... and heavily relied on KLOVE and my relationship with God to get through the pain. But it's amazing how even through that, God had more in store for me.  My sister and I had both been searching for our biological father at the time she passed. Trust me when I tell you God will use any tool to get your attention.  Through Facebook and Google - I found out about my biological father (who has passed) and his extended family - including a step mother who has through stories given me a balanced view of my father and God gave me another Sister - who I did not know I had...
Talk about WOW GOD!!
1/5/2011 4:18:50 AM
Carey Simpson United States
Carey Simpson
I thought it was really neat that my mom does not usually listen to the radio but she bought "Made to Crave" off of Amazon.
1/5/2011 4:34:07 AM
Dawn Levis United States
Dawn Levis
Thank you for doing this series- I am not over weight but could lose baggages--- But, I LOVE the fact of craving GOD more, so Like Lisa said in her 1st chaper, I need spritual cravings-

DLL
1/5/2011 4:46:25 AM
Vanessa United States
Vanessa
Love this book and am so glad klove  is doing this.  I like how they play you are more by tenth ave north after talking about this.  This is my warm up song when I work out to let myself know why I am doing this.
1/5/2011 4:51:31 AM
Kristina United States
Kristina
Thank you so much for posting this Made to Crave series with Lysa.  I can't even tell you what a difference that this has made in me already, I think I'm finally starting to get it.  I was the one who always said "I'll do better in other areas" or "everyone has issues so what if food is mine, at least it's not drinking or drugs".  I've also been following the Winter Jam Resolution too, which isn't too hard because my dial is always tuned into KLOVE =)  Thank you Lord for Lisa and Eric who are making a difference in the world, one person at a time!
1/5/2011 4:58:00 AM
Denise Romo United States
Denise Romo
Reading the thought for today and the comments of others is encouraging.  God has always done MORE than enough when I have called on Him.  Through Him am able to do more within my heart.
  Thank you Lisa and Eric for your morning laughter and love.
1/5/2011 5:25:13 AM
Paula Robinson United States
Paula Robinson
I think you all do an amazing job.I was listening to klove this morning taking my youngest daughter to school and God was speaking to me.I want more out of my life,God made me for more!Please join me and my family in praying for my oldest daugther that is 12.She was diagnosed with Leukemia in June and I am praying and trusting God that he will heal her body and give her an awesome testimony that she might be able to help other people.God bless and keep each of you!
1/5/2011 5:47:38 AM
Diana Mccutchan United States
Diana Mccutchan
I would like a prayer for my Daughter Jessica.
she has been struggling with her weight for a long time. she will turn 25 this month. she's getting married in Oct. and her fear is she will be sooo diappointed with herself because of her weight. Please pray for her she's afraid of failiing so I think thats what keeps her from trying. thank you for these daily readings I'm giving them to her.
Diana
1/5/2011 5:47:40 AM
Lisa Ramsey United States
Lisa Ramsey
Those simple words "I was made for more" have helped in healing a wounded heart. In the past year I have been compared to Job, with all that I have lost. God is so good, and I know that through all that I've been through He has had His hand on my life. But I still battle with depression which has lead to abuse of food. I am looking forward to reading the book Made to Crave. Thank you for sharing God's love!!!!
1/5/2011 5:53:34 AM
Amy United States
Amy
Good morning
I am so excited about your book Lysa. I called my local bookstore last night to see if they had it.  They had three copies so I asked them to reserve one for me.  I have been truly blessed listening to both you and Erik and then now reading the exerpts on the site.  I am inspired even more to give God my weight and seek him more.  This is coming at an awesome time, because my one and only New Years Resolution was to Seek God more and to draw closer to him.  I started losing weight last year after Mother's day and to date have lost 40lbs. I still need to lose another 30 but have been stuck.  I believe God brought you book into my life to move me along and to stop doing it on my own because again he is drawing me back to HIM!  Thank you so much.  God bless you and your families Erik and Lysa and all the K-Love staff for obeying God.  AmySmile Rockford IL
1/5/2011 6:23:04 AM
Tasha United States
Tasha
I am beyond excited for this study and this book. I ordered both today. This is something I have struggled with for a lifetime. Listening to Lisa this week has been amazing. I am so excited to start the journey.

This morning driving to work I was meditiating on the word Crave
and God gave me this

Crave

Christ-centered
Revelation
Achievement
Victory
Eternal
1/5/2011 6:28:58 AM
Sharon (Virginia) United States
Sharon (Virginia)
Wow... I have been so blessed to  hear from you and Lysa each day this week and to read the blog all about "Made To Crave".  Our God is so timely in His deliverance of us. Ten years ago He began working in my life regarding food and my idolatry of it. It seems that each year He peels back another layer of my misconceptions about food and more importantly shows me how much better He is!  I had found great victory in 2010 through writing a Bible study on Romans 6 but in December started to really struggle again.  When I heard your broadcast on Monday morning, I knew without a doubt, God in His mercy was reaching out to me again with fresh insight and I am so grateful for His faithfulness. He trully has made us for more.  Although I really enjoy feeling good and being thin, I have often said, it is not about the weight, it is about ending the day knowing food has not been in control of me today, instead I surrenedered to the only ONE I need... Jesus!  Keep on doing what you are doing... you are making a difference and God is specifically using you to speak to me.  Blessings, Sharon
1/5/2011 6:32:00 AM
Marcye United States
Marcye
Thank you for sharing this with us! God bless you!
1/5/2011 6:37:56 AM
Jacqueline Luna United States
Jacqueline Luna
WOW !!! WOW!!!! i was literally just blessed by what you both said on the Radio, relating to the woman's struggle you just spoke about. I am 39 years old and since I was 13 I have struggled with my weight up and down like a Roller coaster.  Since the new year I have been asking God WHY do I do this WHY do I have days where I just stuff my self, and I am also asking him TO SET ME FEE and do something new in me and show me a new way. Thank you for Sharing I will be definitely following daily.
God bless you ,
~Jacqueline
1/5/2011 6:42:38 AM
Jennifer United States
Jennifer
Thank you, Lysa for writing this book! Thank you Klove for putting this on the air and your website!  God is so in this!  I, first, read Lysa's article "When the fat girl got mad at God" didn't realize Lysa had written a book.  I tried to send a link to my sisters, after one couldn't open it I went back to Lysa's website and found out about "Made to Crave". My thoughts were I may need to check this out.  Well, after that I took my son to school and went to the grocery store..EVERY time I got into my van..Klove had Lysa on talking about "Made to Crave".  I finally said "Ok God..I get the hint".  I bought the book from a local store and am already into Chapter 5.  I can already say this is what I needed. I have been going to food instead of God for the stress in my life. My youngest son has Cerebral Palsy and I really need to be healthy mentally and physically for him.  Thank You ALL again! May God bless each and everyone of you!
1/5/2011 7:11:42 AM
Paula United States
Paula
This is a great series.  I am a new listener in teh Knoxville area where K-Love just took over our local Station 89.1.  I have enjoyed listening and learning from Lysa.  We all have lots of baggage and so far this has helped.  I love the Thought for the day today - We were made for more.  How awesome, thank you.
1/5/2011 7:14:39 AM
Niki United States
Niki
Hi, I so enjoy listening to Klove.....
Could you tell me the scripture in Psalms Lisa T. quoted this morning? God Bless you....N
1/5/2011 7:44:29 AM
Melody United States
Melody
Funny how God intertwines events in our lives to reveal himself. Just this past Sunday, our Sunday school teach was speaking of your show and the experiences each of you shared regarding your "One Word", and, of course, encouraging us to choose a word for 2011. As a regular listener, I already felt that I was being prodded to choose a word for 2011. Then, as I was listening to the show driving to work this morning, I heard the story of a little girl who craved for the love of her earthly father and was given a treasured memory of a Winter Wonderland created by his hand.

God used all of these events to reveal to me my word for 2011, as I, too, crave to be FATHERED. So, that is my word - FATHERED. My earthly father committed suicide when I was 9 years old. Thus, I am the daughter of the heavenly Father, but have lived the majority of my life (39 years at the time I am writing this) without knowing the love and acceptance of an earthly father. This makes relating to my heavenly Father a little difficult since I have no concept of what it means to be FATHERED. So, for 2011, I hope to rest in the safety and security of my heavenly Father's arms as He reveals what it means to be FATHERED by Him who will not disappoint or forsake, but will patiently love, protect, guide, and nurture me.
1/5/2011 8:09:27 AM
Monica Ramirez United States
Monica Ramirez
Lisa, you said earlier that the one word for one of your sons was REVELATION, and then you mentioned 3  aspects....could you repeat them for me? Or email them to me? Please??? Those words really touched me and inspired me to use them with my 12 year old son!

God Bless you!!!

MONICA RAMIREZ
mocajrr@yahoo.com
1/5/2011 9:21:09 AM
Glen Zigrang United States
Glen Zigrang
What an encouraging morning with K-love & Lysa sharing !! Lysa, You shared a short, simple prayer that you express to God each morning before your feet hit the floor...and I wish I had captured that for my wife and teenage daughters. I want to post this on our bathroom mirror to pray each morning we start the day with Him.  Would REALLY appreciate it if you could e-mail it to me ! I spend many hours wiring a stage each week for our worship services at my church, and K-LOVE is such a great resource to put a smile on my face as I worship along with you guys !! THANK YOU
1/5/2011 11:08:21 AM
Melissa United States
Melissa
Lysa,  I was listening this morning to you talk about the word that you gave your son for this year Revelations.  You then went onto give 3 more topics I believe under Revelations.  God has been pressing on my heart ever since.  I would like to know if you could email me those 3 topics for my son.  You touched me so much this morning about picking a word for the year for your children.  I am going to do the same.  Thank you so much for your heart and words.
1/5/2011 11:20:29 AM
Paula J. United States
Paula J.
Greetings friends, we are made for more and we are given the truth with Love--- Thanks for your daily's that keep me going, Open my eyes to my needs and not my wants.
1/5/2011 12:26:14 PM
Cathy C. United States
Cathy C.
Thank you for this series with Lysa it has been both inspirational and helpful in a very practical way. I had given up this year. I was not going to make the weight loss resolution this year and actually I still haven't but in the last 3 days I have eaten much less and am starting to eat healthier. One thing that is helping me is that I am now praying before eating any food (even just a bite) which was not how I was raised. I hope my prayer helps others:

Almighty Father, I give you all praise and thanks for this food I am about to eat. I humbly ask that it strengthen and nurture this body, transforming your temple to your perfect will. Reward me Lord with real motivation to only eat what I need and be truly grateful for the abundance that you have given me while prayerfully remembering those who are hungry. In Jesus name, Amen.
1/5/2011 6:32:00 PM
Annette United States
Annette
Just found out about this book when I tuned in to KLOVE this morning. I have been praying for exactly this: for God to show me how to replace my craving for food with more of Him. I was not made to live in defeat. I know this yet I have been defeated in this area for far,far too long. God answered my prayer today through KLOVE. I ordered the book today Smile
1/6/2011 7:53:42 PM
Caleb J. LeJune United States
Caleb J. LeJune
  Mr Robison  I want to encourage you with something.  Do not pray that God will heal your daughter.   Grab hold of the healing he already gave on the cross and hold on to it. HEALING IS THE CHILDRENS BREAD!   NO EVIL THING SHALL COME NIGH YOUR DWELLLING!   BY HIS STRIPES YOU WERE AND ARE MADE WHOLE!!!    HOLD FAST TO TAHT WICH YOU HAVE. DECLARE A THING AND IT SHALL BE ESTABLISHED!!   All you have to do is declarre what God has already said in his word and believe it with all your heart.  IF A MAN WILL NOT DOUGH AT ALL IN HIS HEART AND SAY UNTO THIS MOUNTAIN (LUKEMIA) BE THOUGH REMOVED AND BE CAST INTO THE SEA.  IT SHALL BE DONE UNTO HIM.  God says we have healing we just have to hold on to it.  THE WORD WAS SPOKEN ADN SWIFLTY THE ENAMY CAME AND STOLE THE WORD.     Hold on to your faith and your beliefe that God healed her and is still her healer!!!      KEEP THE FAITH BROTHER!! KEEP THE FAITH!!  HOLD FAST THAT WICH YOU HAVE!!!!!
1/27/2011 7:22:25 PM
Jola United States
Jola
I think you are great!
but...
"inborn female demand for chocolate"??? really???
we have to remember, that the language we are using creates the world we live in. I would be very careful in using gender identifications in this context.