Jan 07 2011

Made to Crave - Day 5

Desperation Breeds Defeat

Day 5:

Based on Chapter 16 of Made to Crave by Lysa TerKheurst

Thought for the Day: “No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.” (1 Corinthians 10:13)

I was walking through the airport when an incredible aroma suddenly grabbed my attention and taunted, “Do you know how happy I can make you?” A candy shop had just made a fresh batch of nutty, caramel popcorn.

I felt my knees get weak, because I love caramel popcorn. I started to rationalize buying this special, thinking, “I can’t get this flavor at home, and I’ll take half home to my kids.” In that moment, a new truth God taught me during my healthy eating journey popped into my mind and saved the day: desperation breeds defeat.

In the book of Genesis, the Bible tells an interesting story about twin brothers who illustrate this point. The elder son, Esau, was favored by his father, Isaac, because of his prowess as a hunter. In contrast, the younger son, Jacob, was a quiet homebody. One day, Esau returned home from an unsuccessful hunting trip totally famished, and demanded some stew from his brother. “I’ll give you food,” agreed Jacob, “but first, trade me your birthright.” Esau replied, “Okay, I’m so hungry, I’m about to die.” So Esau traded the honors due to him as the firstborn son for a simple meal of stew.

Upon first glance, it’s easy to ridicule Esau’s decision. I cannot imagine selling your whole birthright for a pot of soup. But I had to look at my own life and ask, “What great thing have I traded for so little in return? How often do I trade healthy food for junk food? What temporary pleasure have I craved so much that I gave up lasting victory?”

Desperation does indeed breed defeat. But God promises answers for desperate situations in 1 Corinthians 10:13:

The “way out” that God provides is the ability to decide in advance what I will and will not eat each day. I plan my meals right after breakfast when I’m feeling full and satisfied. The absolute worst time for me to decide what I’m going to eat is when

I’ve waited until I’m depleted and feeling hungry. So I prepare a healthy snack to have on hand or keep in my purse.

When I’m unprepared or I’ve rushed through a proper meal, my stomach screams for something quick. And quick options usually come in a variety of unhealthy temptations, just as I experienced at the airport. However, that day I had decided ahead of time that I would keep an apple in my purse for a snack, rather than trade my healthy progress for something like caramel popcorn.

Let me be clear. I’m not saying that we should flee food. However, we must prevent the control that food can take over our lives. If we purposely begin to think before we eat, we’ll be better able to see the way out that God promises when we are tempted.

For more information about Lysa TerKeurst and her book Made to Crave, please visit: www.MadetoCrave.org

1/7/2011 4:43:01 AM
Denise Romo United States
Denise Romo
The comments today were perfect for me.  Yesterday I ate good food.  and then around 8:00 in the eve.  i ate a candy bar.
I didn't even think that I should stop and eat something that was good for me.  Like an apple, carrot, almonds.  I realized that this "craving" habit has gone on so long that I don't look at it as a temptation!   Reading your comments each morning is helping.
Waking up to the fact that I have the ability to choose "empty" things-  food, words, thoughts - or "fruitful" things- food, words, thoughts - is encouraging and motivating!
1/7/2011 6:34:58 AM
Chris United States
Chris
I have been so moved by this book that God has nudged me to share what I am learning - I will be starting a new Bible study at our church from the material on the Proverbs 31 website.

Thanks for sharing this valuable resource with me!
1/7/2011 6:46:48 AM
Sarah United States
Sarah
Thank you for these posts!!!!!!! I heard about the book and blog on klove.  I have the book ordered and I think this time everything will be different... with my priorities in order! Thank you!
1/7/2011 7:47:10 AM
Diane Cline United States
Diane Cline
I have the book and I am reading it.  I belong to Overeaters Anonymous and this really falls into what we practice that our "Higher Power" as I call Him God can help me to overcome this food issue.  I share different things I read with my husband and a friend.  I pray that God will allow me to help others who struggle with this issue.
1/7/2011 7:48:58 AM
Tanya United States
Tanya
Wow! This is exactly what I needed to hear. I was crying yesterday thinking to myself, how is it that I can't get my mind to be on the same page as my weight loss goal. It's like I want to be healthier, both in exercise and diet, but the thought of temptation takes over my mind. Everyday I tell myself that each day is a new day to change this but yet I continue giving in to temptation.
1/7/2011 11:06:42 AM
Paula J. United States
Paula J.
I got the call my book came in I ordered on Monday---So happy to cuddle up with your book and learn how to fight the temptations---And learn how to be prepared for the battle of lifes empty promises. Thank You again Lysa T.
1/7/2011 4:36:55 PM
Dorothea M. United States
Dorothea M.
My friend and I just talked about the food issue last week at length, then Monday as we were on our way to work, we each heard Lysa sharing about her book. When we arrived at work and had the chance to speak with each other we asked if the other had heard KLove that morning on the way to work, we were both so excited about the things she had shared. It was a WOW moment. I ordered a book for each of us and they came today. We are so excited to start reading! I know we will probably both catch up by Monday! Thank you for having Lysa on the program.
1/8/2011 6:22:36 AM
Toleda United States
Toleda
Can't wait to read every day  Made to Crave Thanks
1/8/2011 6:47:16 AM
Carla United States
Carla
I bought this book on my kindle and couldn't put it down. I really learned that food will not make me happy and feel the void I was having in my life only God can do that. This week has been so easy for me its like Gods grace is all over me have not even felt tempted to eat junk food. I pray that I will stay that way. Now I realize that all Junk food does for me is makes me sluggish and feel bad. Thank you God for allowing Lysa to write this book and share it with us. I've been on this mountain for 39 years and its about time for me to get off. I feel so free.
1/8/2011 1:32:38 PM
Deborah United States
Deborah
RE: Michael Vick Comments

On Friday, January Saturday, January 08, 2011 I was listening to the KLOVE show with Eric and Lisa as the dee-jays. I was very deeply offended by some woman who called in (I will remain kind and not call her the first word which comes to mind – which is “ignorant”) who said that we should all “get over” what Michael Vick did to his dogs, and that he has paid his penalty to society, apologized, etc.

First of all – if Michael Vick had paid his TRUE penalty – he would have been given life in prison or executed for murder. I find what he did to be extremely cruel and offensive on par with what Ted Bundy did. While I agree that Christ died for his sins and he can be born again, if he so desires, I do not believe that “forgiveness” means I have to overlook his reprehensible and psychotic cruelty and “get over it” and become his advocate or fan for life. People still have to face repercussions for what they have done in life. Secondly, any remorse he has supposedly displayed was in my opinion only designed to get him back into the good graces of the NFL.

He should NEVER have been allowed back into the NFL, because he is a horrible example for young people. If he ever becomes a born again, on fire for God, spirit filled believer then I will re-evaluate his life – but until then – I reserve the right not to “get over it”. I venture to say that that woman was probably a rabid NFL fan, who are the only people I’ve observed who say we should “get over it”, or either people who think dogs have no right to life or feelings in God’s creation and killing them for sport is okay, because “they are just dogs”. I venture to say that they wouldn’t feel the same if it were their own children who were being maimed and tortured, and dogs are like children and family to a lot of people, including me.

My understanding of forgiveness is that it means we are to put retribution in God’s hands, it in no way means that I have to violate my morals and standards to become someone’s best friend and number one fan if they are not the type of person that I want to be associated with.

Personally, I find the mere mention of Michael Vick’s name to be offensive, and nothing he has done has demonstrated to me at all that he has “reformed” in the least.

I find it very offensive that the dee-jays on KLOVE even discussed this issue, and because Eric wagged his head and agreed along, I really have no interest in even listening to KLOVE any longer at this point. I would urge your DJs to stick to spiritual topics rather than bringing up the name of a man who as despicable as Hitler and Pol Pot as far as I’m concerned. If you REALLY read about how he murdered and tortured those poor creatures of God, who had no choice of their own in the matter, then I would question anyone’s sanity who says that we as Christians need to “get over” the gravity of his psychotic and sociopathic acts. Well after all, I guess they are just dogs, and pitbulls at that! Maybe those dogs really deserved to be electrocuted in a swimming pool and slammed against the edge of the pool and beaten to death, and mating females deserved to have all their teeth pulled out. Yeah, that’s just real easy to “get over”. Sorry, but I don’t believe “forgiveness” means I have to abdicate all my moral standards.

Personally, I will never allow an NFL game to even be televised in my house, ever. It totally disgusts me that the almighty god of football is worshipped in this country to the point that a man as vile as Vick is allowed the privilege of making millions and being revered on television. Michael Vick is totally revolting to me, and it’s not likely my opinion of him is going to change unless he becomes the next Billy Graham. That he is even back in the NFL just shows how sick our society really is.

I will not believe that true justice has been done in the Michael Vick case until he is kicked out of the NFL for LIFE and he serves at least 10 to 20 years in prison – maybe only then I will feel that justice has been served, and I can then “get over it”. Fake apologies and remorse just to get million dollar contracts really don’t impress me. People don’t realize that the whole act was part of his PR image and I’m sure part of his probation requirements as well. I’m just not that easily impressed as some gullible people are, I guess.

If Michael Vick did get saved and become a man of God, then to be honest I still would want nothing to do with him, ever.  But everyone has the right to choose who their friends are. But then again, President Obama is supposedly a “Christian”, and I would want nothing to do with him either – because his morals and belief system just don’t mesh with mine. So we all have a choice, and Michael Vick is just someone I would never choose to associate with, because I just love animals too much, and someone who would cruelly treat animals like that is someone I would never have anything in common with, because one of my God-given missions is rescuring animals.

If other people want to “get over it”, that is their opinion, but don’t force it onto me as I’m trying to listen to songs that I enjoy on Christian radio.

Some Christians get very upset about abortion, well some of us Christians feel just as strongly about the rights of innocent animals to have their lives as well.

Forgive me, but I choose to be an advocate and friend of helpless, abused animals rather than that evil scumbag Michael Vick.

Eric and other listeners need to realize that there are many animal lovers like me who will never “get over” people like Michael Vick. I would be betraying my animal friends if I did, and they are much more important to me than psychos like Michael Vick. It really makes me sick that somebody like him is even venerated in the medium. But then again,  we are all supposed to smile and sing along and “get over it” in the name of the football god, but I’ve always hated football my whole life anyway. So I guess that is my sin.

The woman who says I need to “get over it” needs to read the rest of the Bible that says we are to shun evil. So maybe she needs to “get over it”. But then again those poor dead dogs can’t speak for themselves, so they are relying on people like me who won’t just flip on the Pittsburgh Steeler games on their TV sets so they can “get over it”.  Michael Vick had a choice – his dogs didn’t.
1/8/2011 4:23:59 PM
Lynette United States
Lynette
The Made to Crave study is exactly what I needed.  I had all those same feelings as Lysa.  This has been an excellent week for me, God-wise & food-wise.  Was sad not to find day 6 posted today (Saturday, 1/8/11).  Will keep checking!
1/8/2011 8:26:22 PM
Maril United States
Maril
Will you be continuing with the Made to crave daily devotionals up to day 20th? I didn't see Day 6th on your web page.
1/8/2011 8:28:57 PM
Caleb J. LeJune United States
Caleb J. LeJune
  Mrs Debora  I love animals as well but  God said FORVIVE AS I HAVE FORGIVEN YOU.    He forgave us so much that he said YOUR SINS ARRE AS FAR AS THE EAST ARE FROM THE WEST.   We are suppose to be CHRIST like Christians.  Your not being one.   Yout letting your anger get in the way.  Your not letting Jesus work in you forgiveness.  If you truely forgave this man you would not be so angry and you would have not made such a big thing out of this.   The past is the past.   God does not remember what we have done he loves us sooo much and govers us with his grace and mercy.  Plus People are more importatn than annimals.   I know you know that because you would rather  love  your family morre then your dog.   Please let this man go like God did on the Cross by sending his only begotten son! You will always have this anger and it will destroy you and your family.  For Example you hate for football has made you not have anybody wath the NFL.  That is going to far.   You are going to let your life be destroyed by ones man mistake.  I am not saying that  what he did was not wrong but we must let Jesus do the work. All we have to do is let go.  Let God be the judge.  Plus  the second comanment says LOVE ONE ANOTHER AS I HAVE LOVED YOU.  Let us be true Christians.  Let us pray for him that God will turn his life around and that he will  have personal relationship with Jesus Christ.  I love you sis!  Please do not let this one little thing destroy the joy and peace in you and your family's life!!!!
1/9/2011 10:54:21 AM
Kathy Chojnacki United States
Kathy Chojnacki
The thought of hurting animals turns my stomach. They are God's creatures, too, and helpless to what humans choose to do to them. I agree that we as Christians, should forgive Michael Vick, but the Bible stresses that forgiveness and consequences for our sins are two different things. I think he should have been banned from all pro sports for life. Young people are watching and seeing that "heros" can do as they please and people will forget quickly, just for the sake of winning a game with a certain player. History will be repeated, and more animals will suffer. I heard that he has asked to be allowed to once again own dogs. I pray this court decision will not be overturned. I wonder how many people are aware that animal abuse and child abuse have been proven to be stronly linked.
1/10/2011 7:03:58 AM
Amy United States
Amy
Dear Deborah,
I DO understand quite a few of your feelings regarding Michael Vick.  I too am an avid animal lover and animal rights activist.  Volunteering with 2 different local animal rescue programs.  I am the loving mother of a 13.5 year old GSP and a 5 year old kitty!  But as a BORN AGAIN Christian, I know I have to FORGIVE Michael Vick in order that my anger, hurt, disgust for and with him, doesn't stand in the way of MY relationship with Christ!  It sounds as if you are confusing Gods Grace and Forgiveness through Christ our Lord with the Mans Laws.  I don't want to start a huge debate as that just opens the door for the devil to separate believers! When you feel as strongly as you do about this issue it is TERRIBLY DIFFICULT to truly forgive...TRUST ME...I understand ABUSE...I could WRITE A BOOK ON IT!!  But something wonderful indeed happens when we pray and earnestly seek Gods Grace and Intervention to soften our hearts and TRULY forgive someone...We are BLESSED beyond words.  Christ admonishes us in the Book of John to "Love One Another"...and to "Hate the Sin by not the Sinner"....he calls loving one another his "Greatest Commandment".  I'm not talking about loving his actions...I'm talking about loving him as another living, breathing HUMAN BEING..who deserves mercy as much as you and I.  In Gods eyes, sin is sin!!  He did do his time in prison (there are people walking the streets of this country who have beaten and abused their spouses WHO DO NOT A MOMENT IN PRISON).  I believe his sentence was just and fair and he got what he deserved. He professes that he asked Christ into his heart and is changing his life and so far, his "fruits" do not betray what he proclaims he believes!
I am no Michael Vick fan.  In fact, a bit of me was HAPPY that the Philadelphia Eagles got knocked out of the play-off picture yesterday just because of Micheal Vick.  So you see, I STRUGGLE too with keeping my emotions over what he has done in his past to Gods Defenseless Creatures "In check".
I hope you receive this in the Christian Love that is intended.
God Bless!