Jan 10 2011

Made to Crave - Day 6

Day 6: Friends Don’t Let Friends Eat before Thinking

Based on Chapter 3 of Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst

Thought for the Day: It’s possible to muster up the occasional gumption to avoid the slippery slope of compromising a diet. But more often than not, we need measures of accountability. For me, one of the most effective accountability measures has been mutually tracking progress with a friend.

I love the song by the Supremes that says, “Stop, in the name of love, before you break my heart. Think it over.” Who would have thought this classic tune could apply to so much more than a girlfriend warning her wayward beau? Contained within the melody is a powerful statement that applies to many areas of our life: Think it over. I wonder how many bad choices and severe consequences could have been averted if that three-word statement had been applied.

Sometimes we can muster up the gumption to think it over on our own and avoid the slippery slope of compromise. But more often than not, we need measures of accountability. For me, one of the most effective accountability measures has been mutually tracking progress with friends.

For instance, I have a friend who started eating healthy ahead of me, and she’s been an invaluable source of encouragement. She was the first to challenge me, “Lysa, if you do this healthy eating plan, it will work.” I clung to her statement when I had those really hard moments of temptation.

My friend served as a voice of reason and stability, assuring me that my new lifestyle choices would be worth it and get easier. Plus, I hated the thought of having to admit that I hadn’t persevered when she asked. If she could press through her hard days, then so could I.

Another friend started a healthy eating plan along with me. We both knew it would be hard, so we committed to pray for one another as well as hold each other accountable. Each day, we talked about what we’d be eating. Every week, we reported our weight to one another. We processed each struggle and helped each other battle temptation.

While I cannot expect anyone else to make my decisions for me, it was motivating to know that someone else cared about my struggles. We encouraged each other with this motto, “If it’s not part of our plan, we don’t put it in our mouths.”

I never thought I could leave my old eating habits full of potatoes, white bread, pasta, rice, chips, brownies, and other sugary delights. I didn’t think I’d last a day. But watching my friend’s success and having my other friend willing to sacrifice with me gave my brain the permission to stop—in the name of love—and think it over.

For more information about Lysa TerKeurst and her book Made to Crave, please visit: www.MadetoCrave.org

1/10/2011 3:44:54 AM
Patty United States
Patty
I've been listening to this as much as I can. Today really hit me. Accountability. I have a lot of stress in my life. A LOT. And I drink soda when I'm stressed. It used to just be one can a day. Now it's up to 3 sometimes 4 20 oz bottles. Not counting what I drink at home. In a few months I'm moving to another state away from everyone and everything I've ever known. And I plan to stop drinking soda when I move. New place, new life, new habits. But yes, I will need someone to hold me accountable. So this really hit home. I think I will hang the word on my fridge.
1/10/2011 4:40:40 AM
Emily Peters United States
Emily Peters
accountability is a huge thing!! It can be a great help in all areas of our life and walk with God. I think it is key to what we are supposed to do as Christians. We are supposed to be there for one another to lift up and encourage. We want and crave for someone that cares enough for us to be a real friend and let us know when we could have done better and remind us that there is always a second chance and we can make it through. It is a relationship that I know that I crave to find in someone. I want and need the encouraging word of a friend who knows what it is like and has been there! Thank you for the reminder that we need that accountability and love from a friend and that it isnt there for someone to come down on us but it is a relationship that is meant to uplift and encourage us when we really need it: like in times of cravings.
1/10/2011 5:05:12 AM
Denise Romo United States
Denise Romo
Yes, that's it.  I am understanding the craving part, but the accountability is what is missing!  Must figure something out to be accountable!    Thanks.
1/10/2011 5:18:47 AM
Tina Cochran United States
Tina Cochran
Accountability is something that makes all the difference for me.  In Nov 2008 I started on a journey to lose over 100lbs. I ended up losing the weight in 10 months but I don't think I could have done it without the help of my family and coach holding me accountable for doing what I said I was going to do.  Now that I'm maintaining my weight loss, going public with my story keeps me accountable to stick with the healthy choices I need to make the loss permanent.
1/10/2011 6:22:18 AM
Jill United States
Jill
We all are accountable for all we say and do in our life.  I have been eating healthier since Thanksgiving and have lost 12 pounds.  I have a better view on life, I am always smiling because I look and feel better than I have in many years.  Thank you for bring this to us, I will be ordering the book today and start reading it this weekend.  Thanks again.
1/10/2011 6:25:29 AM
Valeria Woods United States
Valeria Woods
@Tina Going public really helps.  There are several people at work on a diet and one of them always jokes they are keeping their eyes on me!  It does help.  I still have problems.  My weight loss has been a yo-yo.  Up-down.  I think this time I'm going to succeed.  I plan on getting your book!  God bless you! <3
1/10/2011 6:29:03 AM
Paul United States
Paul
I successfully used accountability to complete the Chicago Marathon (walking) in 2009.  A HUGE accomplishment for someone 150 pounds overweight!!!  Now I'm using it to finally lose weight to be the man God wants me to be.  I post my weight (with a pic of the scale) on Facebook weekly, and use ALL of my friends as accountability partners.  The encouragement is great, and God is blessing my transparency!!!
1/10/2011 6:38:28 AM
Michele Bernat United States
Michele Bernat
I have to agree with the accountablity.  I also have been doing the yo-yo dieting for many years.  In Nov. 2009 I decided to see a dietician so that I would be accountable.  Believe me, it has worked wonders!  I have lost the weight and kept it off for over a year now.  I still check in with the dietician every 6 weeks.  Healthy eating has become a lifestyle now.
1/10/2011 7:03:17 AM
Cynthia Calderon United States
Cynthia Calderon
You commented on accountability and I feel I need to share what God has placed on my heart this past week.

My friends and I started a 21 day fast.  Last week, God gave me the best Bible verses on accountability.  First He went over the Armor of God, Ephesians 6:10-17.  Verse 13 says Therefore, put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything to stand.

Then came The Parable of the Talents, Matthew 25:14-30.  As I went through my fast last week God showed me how He is working with me to become like the "good and faithful servant!" by standing firm when tempted by the enemy.  And to know that the stronger I became, through my fasting, He will give me more to be accountable for.

He has placed in my heart that one day I will be cooking food to feed many, working along with God as He feeds these same many, through our filling their physical body He will be filling their spirit.  And I must be ready to take on the responsibility that entails.

And now He has given me "Blessed isthe man whom God corrects; so do not dispise the discipline of the Almighty." Job 5:15

Thank you for all you give and may KLOVE bless millions more for a million years more.

Cynthia Calderon
Round Rock, Texas
1/10/2011 10:43:24 AM
Leah Dunn United States
Leah Dunn
Accountability. That's such a huge word. I decided last Friday to become accountable for my actions and words and yesterday I decided to quit taking my anti-depressants and birth control. I know that it's drastic and it may not work but my marriage is suffering due to side effects of the anti-depressants I've been on since my youngest was born almost 2 years ago. I have to try something different to restore my marriage and I have to start with myself. Praise God that I have such a wonderful husband who's stuck by me through it all and is supporting me in this decision as well. May God straighten out my hormones or teach me a way to live happily with them!!
1/10/2011 6:26:48 PM