Jan 13 2011

Made to Crave - Day 9

Day 9: I Could Never Give Up That!

Based on Chapter 6 of Made to Crave Lysa TerKeurst

Thought for the Day: “The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.” (Galatians 5:22–23)

Self-control is hard. We don’t like to deny ourselves. We don’t think it’s necessary. We make excuses and declare, “That’s nice for someone else, but I could never give up ____________!” (fill in the blank: soda, sugar, cupcakes, smoking …)

If we’re relying on ourselves, that excuse may be true. But there’s another level to self-control that too few of us find. In Matthew 19:23–24, Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven … it’s easier for the camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

In other words, Jesus was saying that it’s hard for people who are satisfied with the things of this world to deny themselves. It’s hard for someone who is rich with excess to deny herself and be humble enough to admit, “I must give this up.” When the disciples heard this teaching, they were confused until Jesus clarified; “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible” (verse 26).

Maybe you’ve heard verse 26 spoken in the common context that God can make us healthy, wealthy, and get us to a new breakthrough. We tend to think of it as saying, “With God, all good things are possible! With God, all lavish things are possible!” But if you study this verse in the original context, it actually means, “With man, it is impossible to deny yourself. With man, it is impossible to make sacrifices. With man, it is impossible to have self-control. But with God, all sacrificial things are possible. With God, all self-control is possible.”

I believe this one little shift in our thinking can make us feel empowered, instead of feeling denied. Rather than giving in to the foods we crave, we can have God’s self-control to make a completely different decision, such as a decision for health … a decision for renewed energy … a decision for confidence and peace. Most importantly, a decision that honors both our body and God!

For more information about Lysa TerKeurst and her book Made to Crave, please visit: www.MadetoCrave.org

1/13/2011 3:58:19 AM
Dawn United States
Dawn
During my prayer time this morning I was asking God to help me back into physical and spiritual shape. I had just told God the different programs I had tried to loose weight and asking if I should go back to one of them when I heard you and Lisa talking about the "fruits of the spirit" and then the invitation to join "Made to Crave".  I just love the timing of God's answer to prayer.  I'll purchase the book this afternoon and let God lead me to the encouragement I need.
1/13/2011 4:47:03 AM
Michele Lennon United States
Michele Lennon
This isn't about #1 or #2, but how my son made me feel like #1...It was the first day of kindergarten and my husband and I walked our 2 kids to school. I was having a rough morning because my youngest was starting school. So, we got to school and I kissed both kids and told them to have a great day. They started to go in the school and we walked away. We are across the parking lot and my son turns and yells, "bye mom, I love you!" It has been a "headline of my heart" ever since.
Thanks, Michele
1/13/2011 6:00:37 AM
sam United States
sam
hi, my name is sam, i am 13, and my headline is that i am growing facial hair!
1/13/2011 6:36:21 AM
marilyn United States
marilyn
My news is that I had to do the worst thing a  mother has to do next to burying her child.  I had to have my son arrested and put in jail. He is deep in drug abuse and I finally had to do something to save him. I will go to court tomorrow and plead for him to be put in a recovery program. God has NEVER left my side during this entire experience. I feel Him everywhere. He sends people to me when I hurt the most and am the weakest. Klove plays the songs I NEED to hear when I NEED to hear them. Praise God for Klove and my friends in what has to be the darkest time in my life. I will praise HIM in this storm and He will NEVER EVER leave my side!
1/13/2011 6:44:43 AM
sarah weigelt United States
sarah weigelt
My headline: God gave me the most beautifulest daughter named Gabriella Grace 4 years ago today!
1/13/2011 7:03:42 AM
LIsa Ramsey United States
LIsa Ramsey
I have always read the story of the rich young ruler, and thought, I'm so glad I don't have money to trip me up. WOW, your words really shook me to the core. To think that food & the choices I've made gave me the same mentality as that ruler who did not want to give up his money. I have actually used the excuse I don't have the money to buy healthy food, cause it cost so much. Thank you for sharing these tidbits of encouragement. My journey begins new each day. I look forward to when I can purchase Made to Crave.
1/13/2011 7:04:43 AM
Kristin United States
Kristin
I am so guilty of turning on the TV every time I get home from work because it's like a "fix" for me. I miss out on the quiet time I can spend with GOD. I can absolutely not watch TV anymore and spend more quality time with GOD. I rarely eat because I can't afford it, and I've quit smoking, so TV is the exact thing I could and will give up to seek HIM and discover HIS will for me.
1/13/2011 7:11:58 AM
anonymous United States
anonymous
Oh this is a difficult issue for me and I have been praying about it for sometime.. I just recently hear during church service our pastor hit this subject hard. I'm dating a man where we have been physical and very intimate with a unspoken commitment to on another.  As I have listened to myself and God tell me over the past few months this is wrong... I crave the relationhsip.. I had asked and prayed to God for sometime before he came into my life...  I feel now it was a test to my faith and devotion to God.  As many times as I say I'm going to walk away..I stay.   I need to read...  and pray...  Thank you.
1/13/2011 7:12:25 AM
Debbie United States
Debbie
Surrender yourselves to God. This means everything - not just one thing. God will give you peace through every situation. Surrender brings peace, even when there's a storm in your life. This year, I have made a commitment to FULLY surrender myself to the Lord, waiting on Him to fulfill His plan for my life. It's hard & I struggle with this, but I KNOW His plan is much, much better than MY plan.
1/13/2011 7:23:11 AM
Lynn Lewis United States
Lynn Lewis
My bf in highschool was male He took me to my senior prom because my boyfriend (his friend) at the time wouldnt  Through the years we have stayed in touch a little until 10 years ago both of our lives were tragically changed.  His father passed away  and 6 weeks later my infant daughter passed in her sleep We lost touch and we both went through divorces and hard times  We reconnected last year but something was different with our relationship.  This past November I really did marry my best friend.  He knew of God but was not sure his true feelings.  For our family he agreed to go to church with me 2 Sundays ago My brother was teaching about Loving Unconditionally Within a few days I ran into some issues with someone close to me being less than nice, and my husband said, Love UnConditionally, he was listening I invited him to our Wednesday night bible study at my brothers home again mind you he works late till 7 pm on Wednesdays for some reason we were running behind last Wednesday and didn't get started on the message till 7:30 right as my husband walked in the door My husband is a very quiet  man and deosnt talk around people he doesn't know He surprised me by taking part in the message but what was in store next for my husband or should I say myself was a shock.    Preacher opens prayer and someone else closes when everyone seems to be done speaking I sat there listening to others praying for them I heard a familiar voice next to me my husband says Lord I want to thank you for bringing me back to you I know I have been gone along time and I just want to thank you for bringing me here tonight Last night was Wednesday night  my husband showed up again He talked again I quote what he said Its amazing it's weird I don't know if its just the way your brother and them teach about Christ but I can feel the change in me its sinking in Im grasping so much and learning so much  I just can't explain it I can't put it into words
1/13/2011 7:25:49 AM
Alex B United States
Alex B
Hi Lisa and Eric. I was just listening to your morning show and hear Lisa talking about Adam and Eve and about the apple Eve ate. Lisa I think you need to reread that verse in Bible about Adam and Eve and what fruit she ate!!
       When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. http://bible.us/Gen3.6.NIV
     Lisa, we don't know and won't know until meet with God in heaven what fruit it was, so when ever you say apple you make yourself look uneducated. I  am a big fan of Klove, listen to it everyday. Wish you and Eric  all the blessings.
1/13/2011 7:45:00 AM
Claire United States
Claire
God, gave me a fifth brother! Benjamin William...I am the only girl and the oldest...!!! I am the Princess in my home!
1/13/2011 7:47:47 AM
Stacy United States
Stacy
God healed and restored my marriage!  I love it when God shows off!
1/13/2011 7:55:48 AM
Karen United States
Karen
I sorry for critizing you but, you were misstaken about the fruit.  It was the forbidden fruit Gen. 3:3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die. And Esau gave up his brith right for meat not beans.
Gen. 27:1. And it came to pass, that when Isaac was old, and his eyes were dim, so that he could not see, he called Esau his eldest son, and said unto him, My son: and he said unto him, Behold, here am I.
2. And he said, Behold now, I am old, I know not the day of my death:
3. Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
4. And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die.

1/13/2011 8:04:42 AM
Twila United States
Twila
I am waiting for God to really heal and restore my marriage. I am waiting for God to make my marriage all that it could and should be. I will serve, I will worship, while I'm waiting.
1/13/2011 8:52:16 AM
Angel Haley United States
Angel Haley
I accepted Jesus as my personal savior when I was 7 years old, but really never understood the true meaning of how I am suppose to serve God until Thanksgiving 2010. It came to light in my heart that I am doing things that are unsatisfactory to God and that I need to change. Since then, I have been faithfully listening to K-Love and tithing like I am commanded to by God. I feel the Holy Spirit doing a total make-over in me and my heart. I just want to thank K-Love for making a big difference in my life. I want to make Matthew 6:1-6 matter in my life.. Thank you, thank you, thank you.....
1/13/2011 9:50:04 AM
Alex B United States
Alex B
No one is mistaking Karen. Yes It was the forbidden fruit, and it said specifically that it was a fruit, and it was said that it was a fruit more then ones in the bible. It never said what kind of fruit it was. everyone keeps saying that it was an apple, we don't know that, all we know that it was: (The lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. http://bible.us/Gen2.9.NIV). We keeps adding things/works in to the bible, witch we shouldn't, God doesnt appreciate that. We should be preaching the true living word rather then adding things the way be believe. What if we all start adding words to the bible? Then we'll all be holly in this world, and concider Everthing is right!!!!  And I dont understand what Esau has to do with what kind of fruit was on that tree.
1/13/2011 12:42:32 PM
Danny United States
Danny
God is always right on time. Monday a friend and I will start a fast from the book of Daniel.  I haven't been to Church in a while and went into this with the idea of losing weight.  It only took a few minutes of the opening meeting for God to start working on me.  I have rededicated my life to God and now see the fast as a way to draw closer to God.  Your message today just assured that I'm getting my life back on the right track.  God is so good! Thank you for your ministry.
1/13/2011 2:54:15 PM
CINDY United States
CINDY
I'd like to read days 4-7; how do I bring them up?
1/13/2011 3:19:39 PM
Twila United States
Twila
Hey Cindy, you should be able to scroll down and see them otherwise there is a little blue words on top of where it says made to crave and you can go back that way, hope that helps.
1/13/2011 5:41:08 PM
Cheryl United States
Cheryl
I will be very honest.  I seldom listen to K-Love, but today I turned it on only to hear you talking about this book!! Can I tell you this is perfect timing in my life??  It's just what I need in my life!! I struggle with sugar, food and need help from God for this!  Thank you so much for sharing this on the air.
1/13/2011 8:03:53 PM
Anne United States
Anne
I have heard you talk about this post every day on my way to exercise.  Today is the first time I've been able to read it, and I read all 9.  Praise God, it is PERFECT timing (of course).  I have lost 16 of 40 pounds and need motivation to keep going.  While dropping another pants size helps, realizing that I am spiritually underfed and physically overfed was an epiphany!!!  I realize that "self-control" isn't keeping my self IN control, but rather keeping my SELFISHNESS in control.  And I can only do this with God, who makes it possible.  Thanks for  your daily devos, and know they made a difference in my life.  PS:  I love your show :]
1/14/2011 10:03:39 PM
tarao United States
tarao
Lisa, I Want to say thanks for sharing today about Adam and  Eve.I was educated myself on the listeners info on the fruit  never being mentioned in the Bible,and I too appreciate them sharing,However,I believe that we should be   sharing out of Love.I think you guys r amazing!None  of us r perfect:God knows    our  heart.I totally got it! Apple banana or pear...