Jan 19 2011

Made to Crave - Day 13

Day 13: The Tower of Impossibility

Based on Chapter 2 of Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst

Thought for the Day: “Know also that wisdom is sweet to your soul; if you find it, there is a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off.” (Proverbs 24:14)

Standing before a decadent dessert table piled high like a tempting tower was a daunting task. I was glowing with the first flush of success with my healthy eating plan, but now I found myself at the blow-out wedding of the season. A mere wedding cake was not enough panache for this soiree. Instead, a full buffet of chocolate truffles accompanied the groom’s cake. It was beautiful. And I wanted one of each flavor!

Previously, when I faced the calorie-overload opportunities so common in our culture, I felt overwhelmed and defeated. The tower of truffles seemed like a tower of impossibility. But this time my perspective was different. I had experienced a shift and tasted a new style of hope.

The particular healthy-eating plan that I had chosen was full of wisdom about the realities of food’s interaction with my body. In addition, I had put some healthy boundaries in place, surrounded myself with a like-minded friend, and replaced old lies in my mind with new truths. This new foundation began to slowly build, one day at a time. Healthy choices piled on top of each other day after day. Then, one day I woke up for the first time feeling incredibly empowered. I still did the typical routine with the scale—no clothes and no ponytail holder. My body was slowly changing because I had lost some weight. But the most thrilling feeling was knowing that my heart was changing.

Hope over despair tasted better than any food I’d ever given up. I had sought God’s perspective using prayer, boundaries, and His fulfillment as my source. I realized nothing was worth compromising the path of victory I was on—not even the tower of truffles!

I paved my victory path by imagining every good choice I made was like settling another brick into place: bricks of prayer, wise choices, closeness to God, closeness to others, confidence, energy, and focus. Each and every time I conquered a temptation by making a healthy choice, I became stronger and stronger. And, brick by brick, prayer by prayer, good choice by good choice, my hope soared. I’m making positive physical changes, but even more importantly, I’m making wise spiritual changes. As Proverbs 24:14 reminds me, walking in spiritual wisdom secures my hope that this healthy journey will not end in defeat:

As you face similar temptations, I can’t promise that there won’t be any more tears. There will be. And I can’t promise that sweets will no longer appeal to you. They may. I can’t even promise that the number on the scale will magically drop as quickly as you wish. It probably won’t. But gaining spiritual wisdom along the way will set your feet on a sure path of victory. Press on, my friend!

For more information about Lysa TerKeurst and her book Made to Crave, please visit: www.MadetoCrave.org

1/19/2011 5:25:37 AM
rose United States
rose
Hi real quick- just want to say I love the idea of having a word instead of new years resolution that some never keep.  When I first heard of using a word, I was like ok how will that work? However then I heard your words presence and dreams-  well I thought for about 3days waking up to thinking of a word.. then on my way to work it hit me!  " not too hard tho I was ok" _

My word is "Word" and for me that means. To keep my word, to watch my words- to not make promises that later I may not be able to keep.  The best part about my word being word almost every week I can add something to it. example another one that came to me for "Word"  is God's word- to read in start to remember more bible verses!   I was so excited to tell my family about my word being "word"  umm they kinda just looked at me as if I were Crazy!  _  and I am for the LORD!     Hugggs  and Blessings to all

smiles from the Rose

Word out  < giggle >
1/19/2011 6:27:03 AM
Lisa Ramsey United States
Lisa Ramsey
Today's Made to Crave really hit home for me. I have been eating healthier & working out & feeling very frustrated because nothing was showing on the scale. Lisa's last statements about not seeing results like we want to but knowing the spiritual wisdom that is gained...wow, & thanks I needed that today!!!!!!! It's not about the scale it's about me putting God above food. When I feel frustrated or depressed I need to turn to Him not food and I will!!
1/19/2011 6:34:38 AM
Jessica United States
Jessica
One word..."AMEN!" OK maybe two words... "AMEN AMEN!!"
1/19/2011 6:43:23 AM
Karen Scuilli United States
Karen Scuilli
I wanted to comment on Eric's comments regarding Made to Crave this morning.  i have been struggling with my weight most of my life due to a medical condition.  When I began to become closer to God and let my issues or challenges go to him, I began looking at my struggle as a new journey and a lifestyle change.  I have lost 50 pounds within 8 months.  It is important to love yourself the way you are and when you do, then you can begin to make positive changes in your life.  I always think that I am making the changes not only for me, or my son but also for God.  I want to to be around as long as I can to continue to do God's will.  I am a single mom, I work full time and also take graduate classes.  I have learned to live life, eat healthy, be active and I pray several times a day.  When you have a bad day, it is just that; one day.
1/19/2011 8:06:10 AM
Paula J. United States
Paula J.
I love reading the daily---Its like what you said earlier You crave what you eat ---I have started my days with that simple thought and I apply this simple truth to everything in my life---I crave what I eat
  I crave what I read
  I creve what I hear
  I crave what I think
even what I talk about---Think before you do anything---Love ya cravers of God
1/19/2011 9:23:35 AM
Denise thibault United States
Denise thibault
This is actually  my tale of forgiveness.  I'm too new to facebook to post in the right spot!  Almost 22 years ago I gave birth to a baby girl with Down Syndrome.  I'm ashamed to say I had to forgive God.  Of course, she turned out to be the biggest life changing blessing of our lives.  I'm now learning about forgiving myself for those early feelings because I know God has - He shows me everyday how much He loves me.  Through the years of surgeries and daily struggle to provide what our daughter needed, I gained quite a bit of weight.  Now Made to Crave is teaching my how God can work in this area, too.  Thanks, kLove!
1/28/2011 4:54:17 AM
Crist United States
Crist
Hi.I just came back from Kenya Africa.Just want to say its good to hear K-love again.My trip was amazing we fed 240 school children it was totally awsume!!!!!