Jan 20 2011

Made to Crave - Day 14

Day 14: God Is My Portion

Based on Chapter 13 of Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst

Thought for the Day: “His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.” (Lamentations 3:22–24)

The term “portion control” took on a whole new meaning for me one day when I read the response that God’s people had after Moses led them out of slavery in Egypt. God had performed several sensational miracles to help them escape their captors. Yet they panicked when food became scarce. They even asked to go back to slavery in Egypt where food was supposedly abundant. But God planned to use their desire for food to teach them about daily dependence upon Him.

As Israelites traveled through the desert, each morning God would rain down exactly what they needed for nourishment—a provision called “manna,” which I imagine was something like little, sweet, potato flakes. They were to collect just enough manna for the day. They couldn’t gather extra, except before the Sabbath day of rest, or it would rot. This daily process was intended to put them in the habit of dependence on God, and only God.

However, the Israelites began to grumble and turned their hearts against God. So He took them on a detour. Instead of heading straight to the Promised Land of freedom, they wandered in the desert for forty years while they learned how to truly depend on God.

I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to spend the next forty years of my life learning this lesson. I want to stop grumbling about my weight and embrace this valuable lesson to walk in the freedom of God’s provision. As we apply this same process to our struggles, we can find that God is the perfect portion for everything we need, every longing we have, every desperate desire of our soul.

God is there when my husband and I have a big argument, my kids are unruly, a business deal doesn’t go as planned, or the bills start piling up. Instead of grabbing a tub of ice cream or ordering pizza, I ask God to be my daily portion in these tough times.

For example, if your boyfriend breaks up with you, instead of inhaling a big bowl of chips and dip, ask God to be your daily portion of companionship in this lonely time. “God, I hate this rejection and hurt. Sometimes I feel like the loneliness is going to swallow me alive. I can’t deal with this on my own. Will You be my portion of healing and companionship just for this day?”

Or, when your kids are driving you crazy, instead of chowing down three pieces of chocolate cake, you might pray, “God, I so desperately want to be a patient mom. I don’t know if I can be a patient mom the rest of my life. But with Your portion of strength I can rely on You in this moment and not try to medicate my shortcomings with food.”

Whatever your situation, ask God to be your daily portion of companionship, provision, and patience—over and over. Soon, you’ll find yourself walking in victory over those things instead of looking back over tears and a pile of cake crumbs.

For more information about Lysa TerKeurst and her book Made to Crave, please visit: www.MadetoCrave.org

1/20/2011 5:51:27 AM
christine lozano United States
christine lozano
On the subject of chicken and waffles.. some restaurants probably in the south were featured who serve fried  chicken and waffles and my oh my it
looks soooo good!!  That sweet and salty thing is tempting!
It was featured on Man V Food on the Travel Channel.
They show so many restaurants who serve tantilizing
food!!!  I love watching him eat all that food!

Love your show every morning getting ready for work.
Blessings to you...
Christine Lozano, Albuquerque, New Mexico
1/20/2011 6:17:22 AM
James A. United States
James A.
Cush Cush (not sure on spelling) but it is boiled rice soaked in milk and sugar. Love my Cush Cush. eat that for any meal with some cornbread.
1/20/2011 6:21:12 AM
Tara United States
Tara
On the subject of strange foods, the Big E (a New England Fair) serves a bacon cheeseburger served on a grilled glazed donut. I hear it comes with a side of side-paddles due to the cholesterol level...
1/20/2011 6:21:13 AM
Lisa Bordelon United States
Lisa Bordelon
Lisa, I didn't know that you were from Louisiana! I live in Youngsville and listen to y'all every chance I get.  This morning y'all were talking about food, grits are from corn.  Yes, they are called hominy, but it is a type of corn.  Have a blessed day Laughing
1/20/2011 6:24:47 AM
Tammy United States
Tammy
This is not on any menu but, one of my fav. breakfast things to eat before school when I was younger was a bacon and applesauce sandwich (bread toasted). Yummy
1/20/2011 6:24:59 AM
Susan Masters United States
Susan Masters
On the strange food. I eat cake with milk. My husband thinks that is just nasty. My cousin served his wedding cake with little jugs of milk.
1/20/2011 6:27:43 AM
Jamie United States
Jamie
You do know that here in Alaska they have sggs on top of burger for a sandwitch it is very good so that you guy know that's not unusal for the alaksans.
1/20/2011 6:30:09 AM
Stacey M. in Texas United States
Stacey M. in Texas
I was raised on pickles and peanut butter sandwiches. Yes. Sour dill pickles sliced and lovingly placed between two pieces of peanut-buttered bread. I still eat them, and now my kids do to!
1/20/2011 6:31:10 AM
Kelley United States
Kelley
The weirdest combination was bacon on a peanut butter sandwich.  My mom was always trying to find ways to use left overs.  Turned out to be my favorite.
1/20/2011 6:32:51 AM
Kayla United States
Kayla
I am from Central Pennsylvania and Chicken and Waffles with chicken gravey all over is a comfort food of our area!! One of my favorites!! I can't believe you have never heard of it!
1/20/2011 6:33:08 AM
Robert United States
Robert
well i have a few
BBQ potato chips w/ Dill pickle chips, Cheetos & Bananas and my all time favortie is French Fries & Mayo Smile

Robert / Austin, TX
1/20/2011 6:39:56 AM
Jessica Madison United States
Jessica Madison
I live in Mississippi, there is a place that makes any kind of hamburger you can imagine and one of the burgers you can get with crunchy or smoothe peanut butter and the bad thing is you can get it with everything a regular burger comes with.... My husband has had it and says its Great! But I think I will pass!!
1/20/2011 6:42:58 AM
Terry Harbaugh United States
Terry Harbaugh
As a kid I always ate my hot dogs on bread not with ketchup & mustard but with grape jelly. Yum!
1/20/2011 7:56:47 AM
charity United States
charity
icecream and pickles yummmmmm... my mom says its gross but I like it
1/20/2011 8:01:34 AM
TERRI United States
TERRI
why r u all talking about good food when the focus is about taking our mind off of food and letting god be our portion, didn't u read the message??
   i love food and maybe that is a problem, weve got to learn to love god with our everything and quit using food as comfort, like she said.
     god bless u all!!! terri
1/20/2011 9:33:10 AM
liz United States
liz
scrambled eggs covered in grape jam...YUMMM