Jan 24 2011

Made to Crave - Day 16

Day 16: The “G” word

Based on Chapter 13 of Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst

Thought for the Day: “As the deer pants for steams of water, so my soul thirsts for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?” (Psalm 42:1–2)

Have you ever heard a sermon about your eating habits? I doubt it. Excessive drinking, yes. Excessive eating, never. At least I hadn’t until a historic church-going day when the preacher man pulled out the big “G” word: gluttony.

I rolled my eyes, as you have just done, and thought, “How dare you say to me that eating is a sinful desire?” But his point was brilliant and I took it to heart. How can we stand and wag our fingers in the direction of alcohol only to walk into the church-wide, covered-dish buffet and stuff ourselves sick with fried, covered-and-smothered, grossly caloric delights that buckle our paper plates and cause our stomachs to cry for antacids?

I want you to hear me. I’m not saying that eating is a sinful desire. What I am saying is, if you have a script like this (“I’m fat, I’m ugly, and I’m not capable of getting it together”) playing in your mind, then something is waging war against your soul.

First Peter 2:11 reminds us, “Dear friends, I urge you as aliens and strangers in the world to abstain from sinful desires which wage war against your soul.”

In other words, if something is waging war against your soul, it is a sinful desire. Now please hear me again. Eating in and of itself is not a sinful desire. God made us to consume food, but food was never supposed to consume us. And if food starts consuming us to the point where we cannot feel empowered, then that is a problem.

I imagine at this point you are wondering if we really need to go there with this gluttony thing. It’s not exactly the most girlfriend-friendly topic that makes you want to say, “Preach on, sister. I’m loving this encouragement!”

When we rely on overstuffing ourselves with food, drinking until we get drunk, or conducting an adulterous relationship, we are revealing a desperate attempt to silence the cries of a hungry soul.

Our souls have the same ravenous intensity as a vacuum cleaner; that’s how God created us—with a longing to be filled. It is a longing God instilled to draw us into deep intimacy with Him. The psalmist expresses this longing as an intense thirst:

Indeed, our souls are thirsty and ravenous vacuums. If we fail to fill our souls with spiritual nourishment, we will forever be triggered to numb our longings with other temporary physical pleasures that will never satisfy.

For more information about Lysa TerKeurst and her book Made to Crave, please visit: www.MadetoCrave.org

1/24/2011 3:17:44 AM
Jill United States
Jill
I have been so inspired by these posts that I went out and bought the book.  I am enjoying it and it is helping me to eat better and also to get closer to God.  I needed this in my life right now.  Thank you for the inspiration.
1/24/2011 4:40:06 AM
Theresa United States
Theresa
This applies to me because now that I need to relocate I see I have ccollected a lot of "stuff" something like the people you see on TV but hidine in closets. When Christ said "sell all your stuff and come follow me" the rich man couldn't do it. The lesson is stuff or service. God wins.
Theresa
1/24/2011 4:57:21 AM
Janey United States
Janey
My soul is craving me to fill it with God. I am thankful I went on KLOVE's site to look for devotion inspiration to send at work. I found Made to Crave & Proverbs 31. I've been reading the book and watching the live broadcasts online. I'm waiting on the dvds & workbook. Theresa hit the nail on the head with part of my 'gluttony'. Thank you God for KLOVE. I'm glad to support it each month to get His love & word to all who crave Him and are hurting. I'm glad he loves me for me!
1/24/2011 5:47:56 AM
Denise Romo United States
Denise Romo
Again, thank you for connecting hunger and God's desire for His children.  There is a constant spreading of the world's view on what we need, what can fill us.  Throughout our busy day, we become unaware of what we are hearing.
   The Word is full of truth. "Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God."  Rm. 10:17  If we choose to be aware of what we are consistently hearing and determined to hear God's Word, our hunger would be satisfied.
" O taste and see that the Lord is good!"  Ps. 34:8
1/24/2011 6:11:52 AM
Ruth Musgrave United States
Ruth Musgrave
Why do we say "if it really was God, then . . ." ?  When we ask God and He answers we should say "Wow, God spoke to me and I was amazed and awed"  Your Word from the Lord is amazing - it sounded like it wasn't on your list at all, a confirmation in itself.  I have been praying for my word since y'all started talking about it this year.  God has given me "relational".  I haven't looked it up, I will, but He has been giving me the definition and enlarging it daily. PTL.  I pray blessings on you both, what a blessing you are to me.
1/24/2011 6:15:29 AM
Ruth Musgrave United States
Ruth Musgrave
Okay, I was commenting on the morning show not this book review, but I enjoy Lisa T and her insights.
1/24/2011 9:29:19 AM
Vicki M. United States
Vicki M.
Today's lesson so "hits the nail on the head" for me!! Such insightful words! The message is clear...."get into the word and fill up!" Thank you, Lysa.