Jan 27 2011

Made to Crave - Day 19

Day 19: The Power of “I Can”

Based on Chapter 18 of Made to Crave

Thought for the Day: “Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial.” (1 Corinthians 10:23, see also 6:12)

Reaching my weight loss goal is a precarious place for me. That’s because I find it is a blessing entangled with a curse. The “curse” is the assumption that freedom now means I can return to all those things I’ve given up for the past months. The sacrifices … the missed treats … the deprived taste buds high on salad and low on French fries. I’m tempted to celebrate, live it up, and invite all those foods I’ve missed to a little welcome-home party.

Yet, I can’t fling open the door to all of those missed foods without welcoming back the excess calories, fat grams, cholesterol, sugars, and addictive additives. Most of these guests fall under the category of junk foods. The interesting thing about these guests is that they send out little signals to our brain begging us to party with them again and again. A welcome-home party becomes an invitation to be roommates again, which spells disaster for what we hoped might be a lifestyle change.

A chips-and-chocolate girl like me can find it hard to un-invite certain foods to the party that have been regulars for years. It’s even more difficult to reconcile that they aren’t my friends. Some can be casual acquaintances on a very limited level, but others need to be banished for good. Only you can determine which foods are allowed back, and which are not.

One of my favorite Scriptures in this process is 1 Corinthians 6:12: “Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial.” I quote it over and over reminding myself that I could have that brownie, or that cheese dip, but they wouldn’t benefit me in any way. That powerful thought has helped to make a healthy choice, rather than wallowing in being deprived of an unhealthy choice.

So, lest we start mourning what will be lost, we must celebrate all that’s being gained through this process. “I can” instead of “I can’t” is a powerful little twist for a girl feeling deprived. For example:

“I can” helps me walk into a dinner party and find the conversation more appealing than the buffet.

“I can” helps me stay on the perimeter of the grocery store where the fresher, healthier selections abound and smile that I know this tidbit.

“I can” helps me reach for my water bottle and find satisfaction in its refreshment.

“I can” helps me look at the McDonald’s menu and order a fruit tray without even giving a thought to the Happy Meals that used to be snacks.

“I can” reminds me to look up a restaurant’s nutritional information on the Internet before going out, ensuring wiser choices.

“I can” reminds me that no food will ever taste as sweet as lasting victory!

For more information about Lysa TerKeurst and her book Made to Crave, please visit: www.MadetoCrave.org

1/27/2011 2:19:35 AM
Dustin Adam Gutzwiller United States
Dustin Adam Gutzwiller
Thanks so much for posting this

this morning those words were amazing to read

thanks Lisa and Eric

Dustin Adam Gutzwiller

Oxford,OH
1/27/2011 4:08:54 AM
Kathy United States
Kathy
I haven't written any comments through this 20 day journey, but I feel compelled to now.

This has been absolutely just wanted I needed in my life right now, and it speaks to me about my issues almost like it was me writing the words.

Once the 20 days is completed (I have kept a copy of each day), I have already purchased the book.  I can hardly wait to read the book and refer back to each day's reading.

Thank you so much for this information.  It will be life changing for me, and hopefully, others that I have shared KLOVE with and Lysas insights and spiritual growth.  thank you
1/27/2011 4:35:30 AM
Linden Barrick United States
Linden Barrick
The post today makes me think of the book "The Best ? Ever" by Andy Stanley. Basically, it says that just because something isn't immoral or illegal doesn't make it something we should do. Instead of asking, "Is it ok to do this?" we should ask, "Is this the best thing to do for myself?" It has helped me a lot to look at decisions in this manner. Eating is one of the areas where it really hits home...no, eating another cookie isn't awful but is it the best thing for me? It's so easy to rationalize by saying something like "Hey, if this is the worst thing I do, I'm a pretty good person." Unfortunately, not being awful doesn't always make us good, just mediocre.
1/27/2011 4:44:58 AM
Jennifer Reid United States
Jennifer Reid
Thanks for sharing this uplifting thought today.  I have been dieting for three weeks now.  Tuesday I celebrated losing 11 1/2 pounds by eating too much cereal.  This is a lesson that I am learning.  Celebrating weight loss with eating doesn't make sense anymore.  I so desire to be a woman who craves God more than any food.  I also want to value being healthy more than those old "roommates of mine".  I look forward to reading more of your posts.
1/27/2011 5:59:23 AM
Lisa Ramsey United States
Lisa Ramsey
This really hit home for me! Those old roommates calling out to me, but I can't invite them back in. They will try to take over if I do. I Love all the "I cans!" cause with God all things are possible. It's only because of Him I will once & for all defeat this enemy!
1/27/2011 6:20:05 AM
Shawn Ramirez United States
Shawn Ramirez
Awesome Post! Thanks.

I want to share this with ya'll, I posted it on the FB wall but I'm not sure if it went threw because my FB was acting up.

www.bbc.co.uk/.../world-africa-12280109?SThisFB

1/27/2011 7:11:00 AM
cheryl United States
cheryl
Oh I needed this today! Especially after feeling guilty for dowing an entire bag of doritos yesterday. I'm not going to post 1 Corinthians 10:23 all over my house, especially in the kitchen. I CAN do this!! Thank you Lisa and Eric!!
1/27/2011 7:11:49 AM
cheryl United States
cheryl
Whoops...that was supposed to say "NOW" going to post 1 Corinthians 10:23 all over my house...DOH!
1/27/2011 7:15:53 AM
Laurie Smith Canada
Laurie Smith
I always find it interesting how God can speak to us through people!  I also love it when someone speaks to my heart and I can see that I am not alone in my struggles!  It is a lonely place to be when you are unhappy with yourself whether it is a physical displeasure or digust in our weakness of will to say no to things that are not good for us!  Thank you Lisa and Eric for addressing this issue openly and honestly.  It is a breath of fresh air and so freeing!
1/27/2011 7:20:35 AM
Greg
Greg

Awesome!

I volunteer once a week for devotions at a local Christian rehab center.  Replace food with substances and bad relationships and I have an incredibly uplifting devotion for next week !!!!

Thank you.
1/27/2011 7:27:18 AM
Brittany Grigg United States
Brittany Grigg
I just wanted to share my word with yall. I hope it blesses you like it did me. My word is compassion. When I was younger my mom used to always tell me how compassionate I was for other people. As I got older I guess I let the harsh realities of this world hardened my heart. So this year I'm focusing on reaching out to those who are normally ignored and I'm going to love those who are hated just like Jesus did 2000 years ago.
1/27/2011 9:26:02 AM
Katie Roush United States
Katie Roush

Thanks for inspiring me to do things that are healthier for me.I want to be healthier and it is good to know that someone understands how it feels to want to change things in your life. I thank God for encouraging people like you.
1/27/2011 12:17:40 PM
Shyla Ames United States
Shyla Ames
WOW! I don't have a problem with food but I'm going through a craving problem and thinknits soooo awesome how I can still use everything you talked about! Thank you that was awesome I was pos to read this TODAY !
1/27/2011 7:07:57 PM
Lynette United States
Lynette
I am so thankful for this Made to Crave study. I've made the mistake many times of inviting these so-called "friends" back in!  I have lost 10 pounds since KLove started posting these daily devotions.  To God be the glory & thank you KLove and Lysa!!!
1/28/2011 7:42:55 AM
Diana United States
Diana
I appreciate so much sharing this information with us.  I am a medical massage therapist and nutrition consultant.  Although I try and change my clients focus from losing weight to becoming healthy overall (lifestyle change), I have felt a change was needed in my own focus.  I have been praying about this for months.  I know the Lord is leading me to bring HIM into it and HE will show me how!  Yes, we do need to pray for our world,  leaders, etc. however we can make positive changes in the people around us.  Love you and God bless you!
2/11/2011 4:41:59 AM