Mar 09 2011

The Cause Within You - Matthew Barnett

For 17 years, Matthew Barnett has Pastored and overseen the Dream Center in Los Angeles - a place that has reached out and provided hope for the homeless, addicts, the abused and runaways.  Matthew says his life really changed when he finally scrapped his plans, starting serving people and found out what plan and cause God had for him.

We had a chance to catch up with Matthew this morning to talk about the Dream Center, his new book "The Cause Within You" and even Charlie Sheen!  To hear parts of our conversation, click the links below.

Matthew on the Dream Center

Matthew on finding your cause

Matthew on Charlie Sheen

Matthew's encouragement for following the dreams God has placed in your heart

3/9/2011 9:34:59 AM
Tiffany United States
Tiffany
I was one listening who needed to hear those words! Thank God He is always on time...
3/9/2011 10:07:00 AM
Vicki United States
Vicki
Matthew is always interesting to listen to, he always speaks from his heart and I know he is Spirit-led.  The things that he said about this whole Sheen business, him sounding like he was a person giving up, reminded me of myself 20 years ago and prompted some revelatory blogging.  I am eternally grateful for that.  Was just a tiny bit disappointed that no mention was given about the Dream Center being a leg of, or take-off on Joyce Meyers' original St. Louis Dream Center, or how integral she was in its very existence, in the original home of Amy Semple McPherson's birthplace of the Foursquare Church in L.A.  Seems like it would have only taken 2 seconds to add that to the interview and not have Matthew sound like he did this all himself...  that sounds judgmental, I was just a little disappointed in him this time is all, really.
I do look forward to the book.
3/9/2011 11:47:59 AM
Sheila Lange United States
Sheila Lange
Matthew Barnetts words were definately on time.  For many years I have wanted to adopt a baby girl from China...I have 4 biological children, but since the youngest is almost in school I thought that now might be a good time to pursue this dream.  After looking up some things on the internet, it just seems so out of my reach.  Just this morning I felt like...what is the use...this is just to big for me...but then Matthew's words...when it seems to big...then it might just be God.  I am ok with whatever  God has planned...It is just that I am almost 44 and I didn't want to be to old to start over.  I know that God is an ontime God.  I just have had it in my heart to save one Chinese girl...but it is up to HIM!!!
3/9/2011 7:20:54 PM
R Fyan United States
R Fyan
Vicki actually Joyce Meyer's dream center was a "spin-off" of the LA dream center. the st louis dream center was started in 2000 and the La dream center that was started in the early '90. Now there are hundreds of dream centers around the world.
3/10/2011 2:08:50 PM
melinda johnson United States
melinda johnson
i was listening when u had matthew on at 6 in the morning 3-9 i have a dream and didnt know if it was coming from god but got my answer ihave been prayng for,there is a homeless shelter that god had me draw, this passion has been in my heart for about 1 yr at frist i thought no not me, so i put it on the back burner, but thats all i can think aboutand 2 weeks ago god laid on my heart to draw it and i did,but i thought no one is going to help me, i have a past of drugs and 5 yrs ago i was homeless, but god put me in a new town 30 miles from texarkana at a homless shelter in hope ark gave me a new life.so i know by what i have gone through thats what god wants me to do but i had been praying for god to show me if it was from him and what matthew said that morning gave me the answer i needed to hear, yes it is to big for me but not god i just want to thank k love yall are so great, i drive a bus and work with mentally challaged adults, and they love k-love wont listen to any thing eles thanks again
3/11/2011 8:57:20 PM
Maria United States
Maria
I too feel that it was good timing to hear his words. I was on my way to a friend's house to discuss international adoption. I have had it in my heart for the past couple of years to adopt. My husband and I are blessed with three healthy biological children. Our baby is off to school next year! Whenever I look into it the whole process seems way bigger than life, as Sheila had felt! ...Sheila, I loved reading your story because I am in the same place and the same age!Smile It occupies my thoughts a lot and I really want God to guide me through this and open doors if this is the right calling for us. I am going to get the book and hopefully uncover some answers within!
3/17/2011 5:31:45 AM
Teresa Ratliff United States
Teresa Ratliff
Lisa and Eric I listen to you guys everyday...Thank you for allowing me to be a part of the K-love family in worship...Love It...I wanted to tell you about a product I am involved in call Juice Plus...It is all the fruits and veggies in a capsules or chewies for adult and kids...It has changed my life with nutrition and wellness...I just wanted to tell the goodness of this product it is wonderful for kids that do not eat the alotted amount as well as their parents...Praise the Lord on High...I love love K-Love may God Bless you all...Thanks Teresa