Mar 11 2011

Jake wants to Make a Difference

Jacob McConahay is a little boy from Indianapolis with cancer - stage 4 Alveolar Rhabdomyosarcoma, a very aggressive cancer that started in his leg and now has spread to other areas of his body.  Instead of focusing on his own suffering, Jake wants to make a difference in the lives of other kids in children's hospitals by giving them something warm and comforting they can hold - he hopes to get over 1000 Pillow Pets for other sick kids.  You can find out more about Jake and how you can help by clicking here.

To check out Jake's pictures with Third Day, go here

We are celebrating Jake's heart - a boy who wants to make a difference!

2/28/2011 6:23:25 AM
Carissa Long United States
Carissa Long
On this make a difference Monday, I was touched by this boy's story and his campaign to collect pillow pets for all the kids at Riley Hospital. I am getting ready to mail invitation's to my son's 3rd birthday party and after hearing this, I'm now inserting a personal letter asking all of our guests to donate a pillow pet to contribute to Jake's cause. My prayers for this little boy and his family.

Carissa Long
Bargersville, Indiana
2/28/2011 6:50:43 AM
Stacey United States
Stacey
My 11 year old daughter heard Jake's story this morning and is planning on starting a collection for the Childrens Hospital in our area (Dayton, OH) in Jake's name.  What an inspiration he is!
2/28/2011 6:52:43 AM
Mindy Jackson-Wampler United States
Mindy Jackson-Wampler
I too was touched by Jacob's story. I teach 5th grade in Richmond,IN. I spoke to my students about the story this morning. We have decided to start our own class collection to buy as many pillow pets as we can. If they raise enough money to buy one, I will buy one. If they raise enough to buy three, I will buy three! Thanks for sharing Jacob's story. What an amazing child!
2/28/2011 7:36:13 AM
Addam Whitt United States
Addam Whitt
What a story. I was holding back tears reading Jake's story and listening to Lisa and Eric talking about it. I am praying for Jake, for healing, and for I am praying for you all, the family, as well. God bless Jake for making a difference, and for not giving up. Hold on little buddy, get through this, and know that you have a lot of people praying for you.
2/28/2011 7:41:47 AM
paul United States
paul
jesus love you jake just hang in threre jesus get trough this  very lucky have a family god bless you jake you have a good gift from god love your buddy paul lenfestey wirte me back when you get a chance
2/28/2011 7:44:43 AM
paul United States
paul
i praying for you jake jesus love you jake god bless you jake i have good gift from god love your buddy paul lenfestey
2/28/2011 8:03:44 AM
melanie United States
melanie
i think it is really great what you are doing.i was having a bad day but you really lifted my spirits.you will be in my prayers. God will truly move in your lives,keep the faith.may God bless your family.love melanie
2/28/2011 8:28:11 AM
Andria United States
Andria
Jake, you are such a gift from God! What a blessing you are to others.  I know the Lord is so very much with you.  My prayers are with you, too.  I saw your story, and I wanted to suggest to your parents that they check out a DVD created by Massimo Mazzucco.  He is an Italian man who had loved ones with cancer.  He wanted to help them, so he researched to find out what could be done to help them fight it. He made some amazing discoveries along the way. He published his findings in the form of a DVD called Cancer: The Forbidden Cures. I hope you are all blessed by it. God bless you and your family.  In Christ, Andria
2/28/2011 4:16:37 PM
paul United States
paul
jesus love you jake very much hang in there i praying everyday i if need freind always here for you i care about you
2/28/2011 7:21:24 PM
Dawn United States
Dawn
I heard Jake's story on the way to work this morning.  It amazes me that a sick little boy could have more caring and compassion for others than most of us healthy adults do.   I will definitely be purchasing a Pillow Pet for Riley in Jake's honor and will ask others I know to do so as well.
2/28/2011 8:08:01 PM
Esperanza United States
Esperanza
Hi, Jake. Just to let you know your story touch my heart. I got on face book ask my friends to help you out. I will be collecting them to give to our Children's hosptial in Madera Ca.
3/1/2011 6:07:40 AM
paul United States
paul
jake is feeling much better
3/3/2011 3:35:02 AM
Debbie United States
Debbie
I pray God gives your family peace as your family perserver through this is of trial. Your son is a strong witness to Gods glory!!! We all are greatly touched by his selflesness. God Bless you all.My prayers is that God continues to shine through you ALL. Give God the Glory. PEACE and LOVE!!!!
3/3/2011 4:02:43 AM
john United States
john
ltd commodities has pillow pets for at $6.95 each.

they have bear, hippo,kitty,ladybug,turtle and can be ordered online at ltdcommodities.com in their spring 2011 catalog
3/3/2011 6:12:53 AM
Rhonda United States
Rhonda
Go to the Pillow Pets website. There is currently a contest to win Pillow Pets for a year.  You pick your 12 favorites and then send an e-mail to enter.  This would help Jake with his cause!!
3/3/2011 7:36:21 AM
paul United States
paul
jake jesus love you jake love your buddy paul lenfestey paul.lenfestey@gmail.com
3/3/2011 8:29:06 AM
Brenda United States
Brenda
Has Jake's doctor contacted St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis?
3/3/2011 8:59:34 AM
Kendra United States
Kendra
My 12 year old daughter and I heard and were touched your story on K-Love this past Monday morning.   We are in the process of starting a pillow pet collection for the children at Brenners Children's hospital in Winston-Salem, NC in your honor to be delivered around Easter.  You have a remarkable heart.  May God bless you.
3/3/2011 1:17:04 PM
Dina Salmon United States
Dina Salmon
I heard Jakes story on K-love in Roswell, New Mexico and our Christian school is going to collect pillow pets and donate them to hospitals in our area and also to a refuge for battered adults and their children.  Thank you Jake and God Bless your giving spirit.
3/3/2011 4:41:28 PM
Debra Gonzales United States
Debra Gonzales
I heard about Jakes story on K-love in Karnes City, TX and me and my family where touched by this story we are now trying to collect pillow pets and donate them to childrens hospitals near us in your honor. Thanks and God Bless. Smile
3/6/2011 7:44:24 PM
Dawn United States
Dawn
I heard about Jake's mission on Eric & Kathy Thursday morning.  On Saturday night my best friend and I drove to Indy, stayed over,attended the 11am service at Northview Church and dropped off 5 Pillow Pets.  I have a older son. My friend has a daughter and 2 grandsons & one granddaughter on the way.  We cherish all of the children in our life. God Bless this wonderful brave child!!
3/7/2011 5:11:46 AM
paul United States
paul
jake have a good day do not worry jesus help you get though this love your buddy paul lenfestey
3/7/2011 6:44:55 AM
Barb B United States
Barb B
The Trouble with Tribbles!  Lisa - that's what episode you are looking for.  Have a blessed day!
3/7/2011 6:48:24 AM
Cheryl B United States
Cheryl B
Hey Lisa...Barb beat me....I used to watch Star Trek with my brothers when I was a kid
3/7/2011 1:35:44 PM
Jackie United States
Jackie
Oh My Gosh, I was laughing this morning at you Lisa on the way to work at 7:00 about how hard it was for you to remember the 21947 so when I went to lunch I thought Oh I am going to text that number right now with the word spring, and OMG I had to wait to I got back to find the number ha ha so just so you know you are not the only one apparently. I do want to ask that you pray this is the email that I sent out this morning would you please pass this along to your prayer center:OK MY BOSS'S MOM (VIOLETTA  (VI) )  HAD BREAST CANCER YEARS AGO AND WENT THRU THE TREATMENT AND SURGERY FOR THIS. NOW ALL OF A SUDDEN IT HAS COME BACK IN FULL FORCE IN HER BONES AND HEAD. I WANT YOU TO BELIEVE FOR A MIRACLE OF TOTAL HEALING. WE ARE LIVING IN THE LAST DAYS HE IS POURING OUT HIS SPIRIT AND WE ARE IN THE DAY OF SIGNS AND WONDERS WE AS A BODY NEED TO STAND TOGETHER AND TAKE HOLD OF THESE GIFTS AND WORK IN THEM IT ISN'T JUST FOR A FEW IT IS FOR ALL OF US IN FACT I BELIEVE IT IS BECAUSE HE TOLD US SO.
NOW IF YOU CAN BELIEVE FOR COMPLETE HEALING THEN STAND WITH ME IF YOU CAN NOT DON'T PRAY AT ALL IN THIS MATTER, I MEAN DON'T PRAY ANY OTHER WAY BUT FOR COMPLETE HEALING OTHERWISE DON'T PRAY. I LOVE YOU AND NEED YOU. REMEMBER IF TWO OR THREE AGREE WOW!!!!! WE HAVE GOT THE POWER IN HIS NAME.
3/7/2011 4:52:22 PM
Ashley B United States
Ashley B
T: I didn't realize all of this was going on. I'm still here if you ever need anything. Laura knows how to get ahold of me. Your thoughts and wishes are in my prayers. I wish you and Jake the best. He is a great kid and no kid or parent needs to go through this.
3/7/2011 8:40:53 PM
Ryan United States
Ryan
For those who shop online or those who want to buy pillow pets in bulk the following link to ebay will lists thousands of new pillow pets for less than retail. I reccommend only buying from someone who has at least a 98% positive feedback rating and at least a history of 50 or more prior sales transactions: shop.ebay.com/i.html

3/7/2011 8:43:01 PM
Ryan United States
Ryan
Sorry the link I posted above to the pillow pets on ebay appears to have been cut off. I shortened the link: http://tinyurl.com/4popcce
3/8/2011 11:35:24 AM
Samar United States
Samar
I was so touched by Jake's story on K-Love! I am planning to collect Pillow Pets for our local hospitals pediatric cancer unit. What a beautiful heart Jake has. He and his family are in my prayers! (Wichita, KS)
3/9/2011 10:27:19 AM
lisa United States
lisa
i just heard the story about jake on klove, i am continually praying for him and am going to go to my church so that the whole church is praying also... i am going to start a collection of pillow pets in my area, to help a childrens cancer center around me...... and will diffently let all who donate know about jake.....there will be lots of prayers going up for him..... god is good, he will come thru!!!!
3/14/2011 7:09:14 AM
Patty United States
Patty
Hi Jake!
My husband and I loved your story!  Our couples group and youth group have put together our First Pillow Pet Drive!!  We will be donating them to Children's Memorial in Chicago, IL.
Thank you so much for touching all of our hearts!!
We will keep you posted on our drive!  We hope to collect 500 Pillow Pets! and hope that it brings joy and comfort to many sick children!
We will continue to pray for you and your family!!!
God Bless you!
Love,
Patty Whalon
3/18/2011 6:46:06 AM
Grace Mae United States
Grace Mae
Hi I heard this on K-love today on March 18th, 2011.
I heard your Mom Jake tell about your story. I wanted you to know I am praying for you and your family through this difficult time. Stay close to Jesus and He will help you through this. God loves you and so do I.
In Christ,
Grace Mae
3/18/2011 6:50:44 AM
Brandon Barnett United States
Brandon Barnett
We come against the spirit of cancer in Jesus mighty and holy name and we command every cancerous cell to die inside Jakes body in Jesus name. We speak the life of God into his body and we speak complete wholeness in Jesus name. Father God we ask you to bring comfort over Jakes mother & family in Jesus glorious name you are the Prince of Peace and we bless you aba Daddy for this great miracle! We come against the spirit of trauma and stress & pain in the name of Jesus against little Jakes body and we thank you JESUS for touching and healing him completely! We will give you praise for this every day! God we know that you are the same as yesterday today and forever more you are the God that NEVER changes nor does your word and we know that BY YOUR STRIPES WE ARE HEALED SO JAKE BE HEALED IN JESUS NAME! Praise The Lord! With love from the Barnett family in Evansville,IN!
3/18/2011 7:12:57 AM
Melissa McClellan United States
Melissa McClellan
I was and am very touched by listening to this wonderful boy's story. I was and am also very touched listening to his wonderful mom's story today. I pray every day that this little boy is a miracle and I know that no matter what happens he will be a miracle in someone's life. Even though I don't know this family my heart goes out to them. I have 2 boys myself. One is 9 and the other is 2 and I couldn't imagine them being sick. It is the hardest thing that a parent has to go through. Your family is wonderful and a blessing.

Ps. I second what Brandon Barnett posted. I am going to repost it.

God Bless!!!!!!

Love,
Melissa
3/18/2011 7:47:50 AM
Emily Hord United States
Emily Hord
I would  like more information about how I can gain permission to use Jake's story in my school to organize a "pillow pet" drive for our local Children's Hospitals
3/18/2011 11:24:36 AM
Keri McLean United States
Keri McLean
Jake's story has touched my heart in so many ways mostly from such a familiar place. My now 6 year old son was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia in 2006 when he was 22 months old. He received 3 years and 2 months of chemotherapy and is now a happy, healthy kindergartener. I have felt so many of the feelings that Jake's family has felt. I pray that God comforts them in their time of need and holds Jake in his healing hands. In order to help Jake fulfill his wish, my family is going to help Jake collect pillow pets and we will share them with the hospital my son received treatment at. God bless Jake and his family!!!
3/18/2011 7:52:37 PM
Gabe Torrez United States
Gabe  Torrez
Jake, you are without a doubt;  An amazing little boy with a heart  So big, that not even a universe can hide.  You inspire me in a huge way and I wish I had an opportunity to meet you.  You and your whole family are definitely in my prayers.  God is amazing in all his glory.  He's granted in you strength and a commission that I wish people could have.  My God bless you and your entire family.  Gabe
3/18/2011 9:20:51 PM
Lori Byrd United States
Lori Byrd
On March 11, 2009, my son, Mason, was 18 months old when he went into Children's Hospital outside Denver, CO and had open heart surgery.  He was at the hospital for 5 days and a pillow pet would have been a wonderful gift for him to receive during his stay.  God has worked a miracle by making Mason a healthy and VERY energetic 2 1/2 yr old who wears his father and I out daily.  My family is planning on starting a pillow pet collection for our Children's Hospital here in Colorado. Jake has inspired me to gather as many pillow pets as possible and bring smiles to all the children at the hospital we hold so dear to our heart.  May God bless you, Jake!  We are all praying for you and your family!  Lori Byrd
3/18/2011 9:23:29 PM
Kelli Kuchar United States
Kelli Kuchar
Jake, you are an amazing little man. I was listening to your mom on my way to class this morning on KLOVE in Cincinnati! You have inspired me to see if I can get as many of my friends as possible to donate pillowpets to Children's Hospital of Cincinnati. God bless you!

ā€œI am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. And because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.ā€
ā€“ Hellen Keller

3/19/2011 9:45:29 AM
marie florence United States
marie florence
i listen to k-love everyday and when i heard Jakes story it truly made me cry i pray Jake you to make a difference in peoples lives.
3/22/2011 9:49:58 AM
Keith Crittenden United States
Keith Crittenden
I own a small company in Northeast Arkansas. After hearing Jakes story I challenged my employees to make his wish come true at the Childrens Hospital in Little Rock, Ar. Now the whole community is involved. We hope to take 200 pillow pets to Little Rock on May 4th in Jakes name. Thanks for doing what you do. May God Bless.
3/23/2011 7:52:22 AM
Jessica Roe United States
Jessica Roe
Hi Lisa & Eric & Amy,

Wanted to let you and Jake's family know he has inspired other kids to make a difference. Check out the link below, a little boy in Georgia heard from his nurse at school about Jake and his mission and became inspired to help others. God is awesome how He works through us all. Smile
3/25/2011 6:39:04 AM
Natosha McConahay United States
Natosha McConahay
This is Jake's mom, Tosha, Just wanted to say thank u all from the bottom of my heart. These pillow pets are going to be a start of something beautiful. These pets are going nation wide and we love it and appreciate it. He isn't feelin well today but by knowing he has so many friends helps. Thanks you all. We are up to 7000 pillow pets here that have been counted with a lot that hasen't been counted yet.
Thanks and to all to God and his glory,
Tosha McConahay
3/29/2011 8:41:52 AM
Kelly Hopkins United States
Kelly Hopkins
I was moved by Jake's passion to collect pillow pets for those battling cancer in Indiana and just today saw the article on Lottyn doing the same thing in the Atlanta area.
After hearing Jake's story last week, I challenged the women at our church to begin a collection for the children in the Atlanta area and deliver by end of May and now we are connecting with Lottyn's family in our efforts to brighten some children's lives who are fighting these times with strength and courage.

Thanks for your servant heart Jake. Stay Strong and we'll be lifting you and Lottyn up to the Lord! Thank you for the inspiration to do this - now children in Atlanta will hopefully be impacted by God's love here too.

Kelly Hopkins
4/4/2011 3:30:46 PM
Terry United States
Terry
I heard this story on K-love and this little boy has motivated me to get involved in a cause instead of being a couch potato. A teacher at our school's daughter was taken seriously ill and was hospitalized for months, while in the intensive care unit and children's wing the teacher said there were so many children in rooms who didn't have anyone visiting because their parents had used up all their sick/vacation time needed to work. It broke her heart to walk the halls and hear them crying for their mom's and dad's.  That story plus Jacob's story ignited a fire in me to give them something to hug and hold in their sadness. Thank you K-love for hearing the story and sharing it. Thank you young Jacob for your selfless act of love toward others. Thank you Third Day for your assistance. God bless you Jacob, we are praying for you and your family! Thank you for sharing Jacob's story.
4/5/2011 4:48:07 PM
Margie Walker United States
Margie Walker
Jake, I worked with your Aunt Kathy @ CWC. I want you to know I am praying for you and your family. You are a remarkable young man and to think of others is a testimony to your character. I would like you to tell your Aunt Kathy that I am thinking of her too. I will find out how to send you some pillow pets. Love and Best Wishes- Margie
4/6/2011 4:58:46 PM
Melanie Keyes United States
Melanie Keyes
I want to say a BIG thank you! My daughter received one of the pillow pets after visiting ST. V's for  surgery.  Bailey is 2 1/2 years old and was very nervous about the procedure.  Her birthday is next week and as a gift the nurses gave her one of the donated pillow pets.  She was SOO happy.  She has been wanting one.  I am so grateful, for the gifts God gives in just the right moment.  THANK YOU!