Mar 22 2011

Today is Diabetes Alert Day

CLICK ON THE PICTURE TO TAKE THE TEST!

Today is Diabetes Alert Day where they are trying to urge people to know their risk of diabetes, which is a serious disease that affects nearly 24 million children and adults in the US alone. An additional 57 million, or one in 5 Americans, have pre-diabetes. On Diabetes Alert Day, the American Diabetes Association is urging people to take one simple step and assess their diabetes risk by taking the Diabetes Risk Test. People can answer simple questions to see their potential risk for developing diabetes.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (13) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

3/22/2011 7:57:20 AM
Nicole Paulson United States
Nicole Paulson
At the age of 15, I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism, otherwise known as Graves Disease.  I was treated for it for the next 4 years and during my senior year of high school they took normal tests and found that the cells were now cancerous.  I was treated with one radiation pill.  It worked sort of.  I stll had my thyroid but there was no cancer.  3 years later after my husband as I got married, we got pregnant.  I found out that the radiation from the pill gave me diabetes.  I have type 1 diabetes now.  I take insulin shots 2 times a day and I have to maintain a strick diet and exercise routine.  It is a hastle and a chore to have to check my sugars 4 times a day or more and to make sure I eat the equvilant to the insulin I take.  I have two babies now, Aime who is 4 and my son Benjamin who was born on his sisters birthday of Oct 6.  God blesses me tremendously with an amazing family.  I have many medical issues now and I could match most 60 year olds with their medical problems.  I don't see this as something to cry about but as a blessing. Because I know so much about my problems I can help others with the same problems.  I am going to school right now to become an art teacher and I want to minor in nutrition.  What God has given me is not to worry about but to praise Him about.
3/22/2011 7:57:42 AM
Dustin United States
Dustin
Thanks for posting this Lisa!  How do I take the test?
3/22/2011 8:10:05 AM
Victor United States
Victor
I encourage everyone to get checked for Diabetes. I have it and have had a hard time keep it in control. The hardest part is your diet. I have started a walking problem and I am not going to let this disease slow me down, but on the other side my wife has been really taken out of her enviroment. You see she is now insulin dependent and her kidneys are at 40% and that's not good. I'm scared for her because everytime she goes to the doctor the news is always worse. My father in law died a few years ago from complications and my cousin died a year ago. It's an ugly disease but with prevention you can adapt to this new lifestyle. I pray for my wife and all those affected by Diatbetes. Get checked!
3/22/2011 8:17:00 AM
Cynthia Passmore United States
Cynthia Passmore
www.younglivingsuccess.com/.../how-i-defeated.html

Above website is a good story of how Diabetes was defeated with Organic supplements and diet.
3/22/2011 8:17:09 AM
maria souvatzidis United States
maria souvatzidis
just took the test. I now know where I stand. And I hope that I will make right choices in the future for my body, and become who God wants me to be, because God gave me only 1 body, and if I don't take care of it- then that's not good.
3/22/2011 8:40:57 AM
Lisa McCloud United States
Lisa McCloud
Hi Lisa. I was listening to the radio when you were talking about your producers father. It was like listening to a carbon copy of my life. My father died of diabetes at age 58. I was 21 and newly married. He had suffered with the disease for as long as I can remember. We frequently had the ambulance to our house in my later teen years. Watching him decline was very difficult. He never had a chance to meet any of his grandchildren. I encourage anyone with diabetes to please please do what your doctor tells you even though it's hard. You have much to live for. God bless.
3/22/2011 9:01:59 AM
Elisabeth Stegman United States
Elisabeth Stegman
I took the test just to see how accurate it would be. It isn't. I am hypoglycemic and yet according to this test I am at low risk. I think it is a good idea for everyone to research diabetes and related issues. Everyone should know what signs to watch for.
3/22/2011 11:04:04 AM
Melissa Juvinall United States
Melissa Juvinall
I love that KLOVE is raising awareness of Diabetes.  However, when talking about it, can you please make sure you always distinguish between Type I and Type II?  Type I is a condition that people have no control over.  Their pancreas simply doesn't make insulin.  Just saying "Diabetes" ignores the fact that those with Type I have done nothing wrong.  Those with Type I cannot simply make lifestyle changes to resolve their condition.  They have a daily battle to face for their whole lives, no matter how they take care of themselves.
3/22/2011 4:10:02 PM
Dana United States
Dana
My dad has diabetes. It's hard because he can't eat a lot of things we can't so we don't have much food that we would like to eat, but he is the best earthly father EVER!
3/23/2011 1:08:21 AM
AraYorum Turkey
AraYorum

This blog is so excellent.Very nice comments.www.cengizgurcay.com
3/23/2011 10:35:20 AM
gloria United States
gloria
klove is the only station I listen to. It is fun
3/24/2011 7:57:42 AM
Karen United States
Karen
I've had insulin dependent diabetes for almost 27 years now.  So thankful that God allowed me to be born in a country and a decade where there is medical care.  And so thankful for my insulin pump which allows me so much freedom and flexibility in taking care of myself.  I have been blessed to have 2 wonderful childen.  Its not easy to maintain good blood sugars as its impacted by so many things--food, insulin, stress, exercise.  The last few years I've become complacent and not staying under the tightest control of my blood sugars.   Which has to change soon if I want to continue to avoid the complications of diabetes.  Prayerfully, I will get back on top of this.
3/24/2011 8:04:21 PM
Amy United States
Amy
Thanks Melissa for mentioning the difference between Type 1 and 2. As a parent of an 11 year with Type 1 it is frustrating when people group them together because although they are both a huge health risk those with Type 1 did nothing to cause it, and they can not manage it with diet, exercise and oral medication.  They must inject insulin via a needle or an insulin pump. When my son was diagnosed at age 8 he was a very healthy active child. Now he is a active child who has to be very careful when he exercises to avoid dangerous low blood management. As an 11 year old he as to consistently think about what his blood sugar level is and how what he is about to do will effect it.  It is a lot of responsiblity for an 11 year old boy.  Prasie God he has done a great job thus far and continues to be more responsible.