Nov 21 2011

Just Give Me 5 Seconds

Amy has purchased her turkey for the thanksgiving meal she's hosting Thursday. She's still not sure how to prepare her first-ever turkey....

Is There Any Truth To The 5 Second Rule?

The "five-second rule" goes something like this: Food dropped on the ground is perfectly sanitary and safe to eat -- as long as it's picked back up within five seconds. But is there any truth to the saying?  "Five seconds, one second -- it's all the same," O'Brien says. "As far as bacteria's concerned, it's all the same."  None of the tests found any serious stuff, like salmonella or strep, but they did find that bacteria, mold and yeast collected on anything that dropped on the floor or ground.

The Number of Women on ADHD Meds Soars!

While more boys than girls are treated for ADHD, a new report shows that among adults, the numbers have flipped. Women’s use of medications for the condition has soared in the past decade, surpassing that of men.

The girls whose ADHD had gone unrecognized, chalked up to laziness or lack of motivation in school, grow into women who stumble when they encounter the real world of work and family. They can’t hold jobs, and, because they are so disorganized, they pay their bills late, if at all, lose track of appointments and misplace their kids’ school permission slips.  When a child is diagnosed with ADHD, he says, there’s a 30 percent to 40 percent chance that a parent has it, too. Of those parents, the moms are more likely to seek professional help than the dads, explains Russell Barkley, a clinical professor of psychiatry at the Medical University of South Carolina who’s long studied ADHD in adults. http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/16/8842194-number-of-women-on-adhd-meds-soars

11/21/2011 7:26:55 AM
Cindy United States
Cindy
Amy,  The bag inside the turkey is not stuffing.  Take it out before cooking the bird. Smile
11/21/2011 7:27:24 AM
Montez Schultz United States
Montez Schultz
I was just diagnosed with ADD about 6 months ago.  I have suffered with feeling stupid all my life because of this.  At age 57 I find out that I actually had a reason for all of my difficulties.  Truly a relief to find this out.  I have a boss who wants to work with me to place me where I "fit" best to use the skills and strengths I have, instead of making me feel like I just can never get it right.  I thank God for her because I have had issues with every job I have had.  I am on meds for this and I do believe it is working.  My boss is a pediatrician who diagnoses kids with ADHD so she saw it right away in me and after telling her about my childhood, she said she would have put me on meds if I had been her patient.  I thank God for her.  I always felt like I was a problem child even as an adult.  I suspected I had this after learning more about it but never went to have it evaluated.  My son was diagnosed with it.  I think my daughter has it but she doesn't want to have meds.  My granddaughter has it and is on meds.  I praise God that he has allowed the scientist to create medication to help us.  This is a very interesting topic.  Thank you for bringing it up.  God bless you all and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.  I enjoy the show Smile
11/21/2011 2:43:51 PM
tina coonneally United States
tina coonneally
I too found out about being ADHD in My fifties. Even though I was an educator and had taught such students .  When doing a presentation and research and taking a diagnostic eval the professor was astounded that I was unaware od it for myself.  He recognized the signs right away and Pegged me.  I've done well in school but realize the many coping mechanisms I used to do so.  Where as emotionally and relationally I realized why my low self esteem and Flaky behaviors .: lack of organization, loosing things tardiness,impulsivity etc have taken a tol . As I watch my granddaughter memories stream back of being called rattlebrained and feeling so different no matter how I tried.  I thank God I've learned about this.  I pray others will learn. Share and be patient and loving.
Comments ro a parent that they're bad parents because their Child is wild and incontrollable are mean and uncalled for both child and parent have. A true disability.  People need to educate themselves and remember to treat others as you would want to be treated.  Love one another as Christ loved you.

11/22/2011 6:04:09 AM
Shelly United States
Shelly
Amy,  sure fire turkey recipe, my 16 year old made her first turkey last year and it was a great success.
dry your turkey,  coat generously with butter or margarine,  sprinkle chicken boulion on the turkey liberally should be completely covered  place some butter and boullion in the cavity place in an oven bag pour 4to 6 cupsa of chicken broth under the turkey in the bag Put in the oven and bake.  We always do the stuffing seperate.  Your time will depend on the size of your turkey but i will guarentee it will be moist and a success.  Happy Thanksgiving  Shelly
11/22/2011 7:12:30 AM
Stephanie United States
Stephanie
I'm trying this recipe this year.

www.foodnetwork.com/.../index.html

I've heard it's wonderful and despite it's appearance - actually quite easy!

I also saw on Food Network over the weekend that you can actually defrost your turkey in the brine as well, so even if it's not fully thawed yet, you can still use this.

Best of luck to you, Amy!

Stephanie
11/27/2011 8:15:23 PM
holly bonner United States
holly bonner
I love u guys. I was upset when I knew Lisa n Eric were leavin but u 3 get me plugged into Jesus on my way to work at 615a