Dec 09 2011

Finances, One Gift and more....

Not just Gifts from Santa!

A job for their mom or dad. Money for the heating bill. Food or a place to live. Maybe gloves or boots.  More and more, children are asking for less for themselves and more for mom and dad.  With unemployment stubbornly high, more homes in foreclosure and the economic outlook dim, children are becoming more aware of their parents plight.  A reminder that kids are listening and they’re understanding the situation mom and dad are in financially.

We were recalling that when we were kids we had no clue what financial situation our parents were in.  They never talked about it in front of  us, but it seems that's not the case today.  Do your kids know what's going on with your situation?  Do you talk about finances in front of the kids?     Read the full story

Just One Gift

We talked with a woman today who told us how her parents taught them about the true meaning of Christmas.  On Christmas morning, she and her siblings would wake up to a Christmas tree surrounded by tons of gifts!  The kids would tear into them all excited at the amount and different kinds of gifts they each received.  And after the fray, mom and dad would then say, "Now.  Pick one gift.  Only one.  The rest we are giving to a family in need."  Wow!  She said it was shocking at first, but when they saw the joy of the family in need receiving the gifts, well, it all made sense.  The feeling of joy and love were gifts that you couldn't purchase, and they were gifts that weren't fleeting.  They remained.

A Special Family Recipe from Amy!

McTwiggan Meat Dip

1 pound beef

1/2 c chopped onion

8 ounce can tomato sauce

1/4 c ketchup

3/4 t oregano

8 ounces cream cheese

1/3 c parmesan cheese

Brown beef and onion, drain grease

Add tomato sauce, ketchup and oregano; simmer 10 minutes.

Stir in cheeses until melted.

Serve hot with chips or crackers.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (7) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

12/9/2011 6:03:12 AM
Lara United States
Lara
SO, this is basically like a 7 layer bean dip. Just a little shorter. I actually made this for sunday for i have a staff christmas party on sunday evening! this sounds yummy seeing as its like the bean dip
12/9/2011 6:10:49 AM
Jeannie Hunt from Mississippi United States
Jeannie Hunt from Mississippi
Hey Amy, here's a "meat" dip recipe I'm sure you will absolutely LOVE! It's called "Cream Cheese Rotel" Here are the ingredients: 1 small pkg of mild sausage (your choice of brands), 2 small pkgs. of regular cream cheese, 1 can of rotel (mild)...melt the cream cheese in a small crock pot til creamy; while the cream cheese is melting, brown the sausage on top of stove til done...mix the rotel and sausage in the crock pot with the cream cheese. Let simmer for about 20 minutes, then serve with chips (preferrably Frito scoops). Yummy to the Tummy! Enjoy
12/9/2011 6:16:44 AM
Amanda United States
Amanda
We make this all the time!  It's perfect for tailgates and gatherings...hubby introduced me to it many many years ago and we've played with the ingredients over the years (usually add fresh jalapenos and ground turkey breast instead of beef), but it's a family favorite and much in demand...I haven't had anyone not like it in the 15 years I've made it
12/9/2011 6:31:02 AM
Nona Copeland United States
Nona Copeland
I've never tried that dip, maybe I'll make it sometime.  Here's one that doesn't sound real good, but it tastes WONDERFUL!  Hot Sauerkraut Dip.
1 1/2 lb ground beef
1 g bell pepper,diced
1 onion,diced
1 32oz. jar sauerkraut,drained
1 can diced tomatoes,drained
1 16oz. tub sour cream

Season ground beef with garlic and creole seasoning while browning; drain. Dump everything into crock pot mix well and cook for 3-4 hrs.
serve warm with tortilla chips.

WONDERFUL!!!
12/9/2011 8:14:35 AM
Mary Turner United States
Mary Turner
You are not going to believe this recipe!! It's a dessert and I use to make it for our family Thanksgiving before everyone moved all over the world.
            Unreal, unconventional dessert

Package of regular hot dogs
Package of regular bacon
pound of brown sugar (dark works best)
toothpicks
crockpot
     Chop weiners up into three pieces, wrap a piece of bacon around each and secure with toothpick. Put into dry crockpot and pour whole package of brown sugar and let cook for four or more hours. It will look kinda burnt but that's the sugar. The best, Yummy for my Tummy...ever!!
12/14/2011 7:11:37 PM
Sue United States
Sue
I just made the Meat Dip for our Christmas party at work tomorrow.  I'm still not entirely sure this is going to go over well - I'll let you know!
12/15/2011 8:21:48 AM
Steve United States
Steve
I don't have a Facebook account, so I thought I might be able to comment on today's (12/15/2011) morning show. The subject: Inflatable Christmas  Lawn Decorations.

I, too, have seen a house that has dozens of these decorations every year. When I would leave work, I would drive past this "Faux Killing Field" with all of the plastic corpses laying around. I started picturing a "Far Side"-ish cartoon with crime scene tape, masking tape on the ground outlining one fallen victim who was now on a stretcher, police and detectives on the scene with the owner of the house hand-cuffed as a suspect. The caption underneath would say "Saint Nicholas Day Massacre"- althought there isn't such a day on the regular calendar.

I hope you enjoyed the elabloration!