Feb 23 2012

Dove Awards!

The Dove Award Nominees are in!!!

Dove Awards

Here are a few of the categories:

Song of the Year

Female Vocalist of the Year

Francesca Battistelli
Kari Jobe
Laura Story
Mandisa
Natalie Grant

40 Days of Water - Beginnings!

Beginnings
How do you begin your day? Probably with a cup of coffee. Over 54% of Americans drink coffee daily as the start of their morning routine.

In countries with little access to clean water, most women begin their day by taking empty water containers to the closest water source. In many areas in Africa, these treks can be five, ten, even twenty miles long depending on the region and the season. After hours of walking, these women will likely wait in line for another several hours to fill up their containers (usually 10-20 liters; which weigh 22 to 44 pounds) and carry them the long distance home.

Instead of beginning their day at school, many children are also needed on these long journeys to provide water for the family. When it comes down to choosing between education or fetching water, water always wins. It’s needed for survival.

Water is a scarce and therefore an often exploited commodity in these areas. Because those responsible for gathering water – women and children – are also the most vulnerable, they’re subjected to sexual assault and robbery. The roads are almost always unpaved and the terrain can be dangerous due to landscape or wildlife. Over the course of time, carrying this amount of weight repeatedly causes various bone and joint issues that produce complications during pregnancies or later on in life, preventing these women from gathering water in the future.

However, women and children have no choice. Their families need them to make these daily sacrifices in order to get water and survive.

As you begin 40 Days of Water, think about how you begin your day. As you give your coffee pot a forlorn look as you pass it by, allow your mind to wander to the other side of the world. Imagine waking up and beginning the day with an arduous and dangerous task that you have no choice in doing. Think of the weight these women and children carry – not only physically, but emotionally as well.

2/24/2012 4:43:29 AM
Gary United States
Gary
I have friends who put together a simple website challenging people to splurge on different things for 40 days. It gives a new perspective on how you can splurge on something you do every day in order to turn it around and help others across the world. The URL is www.splurgeit.org.

I was reminded of this with the 40 Days of Water you are promoting.
2/24/2012 5:39:55 AM
Becky Todd United States
Becky Todd
Is it Kanklefritz who's trying to lose weight?  Anyway, my son turned me on to a smart phone app called MyFitnessPal.  You program in your weight, your goal and your physical activities and it tells you how many calories you should eat a day to achieve it.  You program in each meal your food and it tells you the calorie value.  It's addicting!! But it works!  kGreat station!  I've been listening for about 1 1/2 years!  I promote it in the church bulletin and newsletter too!
2/24/2012 9:26:11 PM
antoinette chenault United States
antoinette chenault
I LOVE K-LOVE AND ESPECIALLY THE MORNING SHOW!!!! YOU GUYS ARE THE FUNNIEST EVER. GOD is soooooo good and He brings me soooo much JOY. I love to laugh and you guys and gal make it very easy to do and my mornings at work, well they go by quite fast so thanks for the rapid work days!!  I first heard K-Love while in a prison camp in Lexington Ky.  I had been saved prior to serving my sentence and I tell you what K-Love- WOW!! You guys were there all the way bringing me JOY.  When I came back to Pittsburgh I was sad because you guys werent aired here. Well needless to say about 2 years later I heard K-LOVE AND JOY SWEET JOY!!  Only radio show I listen to A+ for your Joy, Love for People and first and for most God in Jesus Name.  Luv Ya!!! and Yes God is Good!!! I am proof of his complete redemptions.
2/27/2012 5:08:12 AM
josiah United States
josiah
My family and I are doing the 40 days of water for Lent. I am 10 years old and I entered this challenge because I am not always drinking healthy and I remembered God wants us to keep our body clean so we can keep praising him. I am glad because I am helping people in Uganda.
2/27/2012 7:14:09 AM
Kelly United States
Kelly
Thanks for the great idea! This is a wonderful way to use the resources we have to support the people in Uganda while reflecting and praying about how else God wants to use us for his people. I studied abroad in Uganda last semester and I have nothing to say but praises about the people I became friends with. Their strength, faith, and love is inspiring to say the least. I hope you all have a great experience giving up drinks for Uganda. Don't forget why you are doing it and if you get the chance, I highly recommend visiting the country. I know you will learn so much and be just as inspired as I was.
2/29/2012 6:33:04 AM
Katie Johnson United States
Katie Johnson
Re skunk- I unfortunately had some under the house I bought a couple of years ago. Coffee grounds -not instant- pour some into a bowl in each room they help absorb the smell. Change them every day. Lemon oust also helped.
The dog/people bath is baking soda combined with Dawn dishsoap (no bleach) make a paste rub on dry hair/skin. Let set 5 minutes (for dogs) and rinse with vinegar. Then rinse the vinegar out with water. I just used this again this week. February is the beginning of mating season for skunks and our dogs got sprayed.
I bet if you add some baking soda to your laundry and some vinegar in the rinse cycle it will help your clothes. It did mine.