Feb 29 2012

To Smile or Not to Smile!

Amy got her passport picture taken last night.  The guy insisted that she was not allowed to smile!

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (23) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

2/29/2012 5:00:52 AM
JJ United States
JJ
Wow It really looks like you have the ateds.
Frustrated...aggravated...or my favorite
Constipated.  Either way maybe no one will bother you.  Have a great day.
2/29/2012 5:02:55 AM
Jessica United States
Jessica
lol... I was listening as you guys were talking about the Passport photo earlier but I don't think I imagined it to look quite like it does!! Amy you almost look like you are petrified. I have never had a passport photo taken so I am not sure if you can smile or not, but I don't see what it would hurt.
2/29/2012 5:10:26 AM
stephanie United States
stephanie
I can't believe you can't smile in a passport picture!  I have an idea of what I would do instead though.
2/29/2012 5:23:21 AM
Jan United States
Jan
In addition to eyebrows must be showing and no smile, the guy who took my passport photo made me tuck my hair behind my ears.  I'm pretty sure the last one wasn't a requirement but he was insistent.  I feel for you girlfriend.
2/29/2012 5:23:49 AM
Melissa United States
Melissa
Poor Amy! You know, it may be go "facial recognition" purposes, but if Amy is always smiling then this picture won't help them find her.
2/29/2012 5:27:04 AM
Dana Sparks United States
Dana Sparks
They are horrible pictures we have now. This is due to the new rules regarding security. It is because facial recognition programs need the non smiling and full face view to optimally run.
2/29/2012 5:32:46 AM
Terri United States
Terri
WoW!  Maybe just as he clicked the picture you should've done a quick thumbs up and huge toothy smile! That's what my husband would've done!! LOL!
2/29/2012 5:35:13 AM
Kay United States
Kay
lol - Looks like the definition to "deer in the headlights".
2/29/2012 5:53:56 AM
Lorisa United States
Lorisa
Oh goodness! You look scared to me! I think that picture would make me WANT to stop you and check you out. Maybe when they see you in person they'll think you're someone else? lol Smile
2/29/2012 6:09:10 AM
karen nece United States
karen nece
i am completely stunned that the morning dj's would make a joke out of the book of Ruth and the tradition in that day of how Ruth sought to be Boaz wife. surely you have studied the Bible and know that symbolizes Jesus waiting for his bride to choose to be yoked to him. basically you could read the book on "Ruth" which is a further explaination of what it means....be blessed
2/29/2012 6:38:45 AM
Scott United States
Scott
You look a little scared but the passport guy wasn't messing with you.  One of the many requirements for the photo including size, color, attire, etc. from the department of State passport web site:

The photo must be taken:

* With a neutral facial expression and both eyes open
2/29/2012 6:50:19 AM
Crystal United States
Crystal
It's a shame, but true you can't smile for your photo. Here are the guidelines from the governments own site. travel.state.gov/.../pptphotoreq_5333.html
2/29/2012 6:55:24 AM
Joe Martinetti United States
Joe Martinetti
Night of the Zombies....
2/29/2012 9:08:37 AM
MARILIA TANIS United States
MARILIA TANIS
Amy you are beautiful no matter what!!!!!
3/1/2012 5:30:52 AM
Jamie Grohe United States
Jamie Grohe
Even if we aren't allowed to smile "out loud", as Christians we can show the joy of Christ in our countance.  Smiles start in the heart.  I agree with Marilia Tanis, Amy you are beautiful.  Let your beauty be from the inside out.
3/1/2012 6:18:47 AM
Michelle Schanz United States
Michelle Schanz
I don't think it's bad at all.  You do look a little mad; but beautiful all the same!
3/1/2012 3:06:15 PM
Amanda Gerodias United States
Amanda Gerodias
Amy you are beautiful, even if you look scared Smile I also took my passport photo today! Had I know you were going to take yours I would have passed along the advice that I used for mine...taken from the show "America's Next Top Model" (which my sister made me watch numerous times, as Tyra Banks frequently tells the models "Smile with your eyes!" You can't smile with your mouth for the facial recognition software, but if you practice, you can smile with your eyes and still look happy. I don't know if Tyra would be happy with my effort, but I did my best to smile with my eyes.
3/2/2012 9:18:54 AM
Dave Diaz United States
Dave Diaz
You look, surprised, it's a good picture though.  They would have a hard time with me since I smile allot.  Maybe I would smirk and have little slits as eyes.  I love you guys in the morning.  I listen at home when I have time in the AM, on the way to work and at work.  Have a great day.  Dave
3/2/2012 1:19:09 PM
Karen United States
Karen
Try getting passport photos with 9 family member, 4 of them children and not smiling...many re-takes.  Luckily it was a friendly person taking the pictures.
3/2/2012 9:17:44 PM
LaDonna United States
LaDonna
I think it's terrible that she was not allowed to smile.  This is a photo that will have to follow her for years, just as a driver's license does. (4 years)

I smiled for my driver's license and wanted to have a decent picture; I am not a criminal and certainly don't want to look like I'm taking a mug shot.

How unfortunate!!
3/3/2012 4:15:22 PM
allison United States
allison
isn't it strange that they tell you to show your ears? now what is that all about? my daughters had theirs taken and when they told them to tuck their hair behind their ears they looked at me with ??? any idea why?
3/4/2012 7:19:39 PM