May 02 2012

Wednesday's Journey

Today was a very emotional day. Early this morning we watched Dr. Glenn take the bandages off baby Akou’s eyes. She was SCREAMING and finally when she opened her eyes and realized she could see….she went silent and started looking around. The baby stared – mama smiled. It was beautiful.

After a final check-up, the doctor told them they could go home.  Typically, the patients have to find their own transportation to and from the ship but because of the relationship I built with Ameze and Akou we offered to take her back to hervillage. She was very thankful.

We had an interpreter with us for her trip home and ofcourse, I had to ask questions. I found out Ameze is a single mom of two. She loves to make jewelry and even made the bracelet she gave me. She’s also studying to be a tailor. She has 7 brothers and sisters (some live with her) and she loves spaghetti (YUMMY)! In the middle of our conversation, I really felt like I was talking to a good friend. With each one of my questions she would laugh at me almost as if to say…”Oh, Amy, you’re crazy… but I love you.” The feeling is mutual, I love Ameze, too. I will miss her.

Her home is not like mine…her face is not like mine… but our hearts are the same. We’re both moms who love our babies and want the best for them. I’m so thankful to be serving on Mercy Ships so I could be a small part of helping Akou see.

What blows me away is the fact that Akou’s story is not unusual. So many families in need are helped through the medical procedures on the ship. I heard a story from a nurse today about a young boy who got surgery on the ship two years ago for his club feet.  Just recently, they traveled 16 hours from their village to tell thevolunteers thank-you. 16 HOURS…and sometimes I complain about waiting 5 minutes in line at the grocery.

Lord, thank you for giving me perspective on the ship. What really matters is that I have a relationship with you and my family is happy and healthy….and thanks to the work you’re doing through Mercy Ships – Ameze and her family are too.

5/2/2012 10:21:05 PM
Julie United States
Julie
Wow Amy, it is so awesome to see God's work so powerfully before your eyes, and it makes His love for us so much more real!!!  I'm so happy that KLOVE is featuring the Mercy Ships. My brothers are missionaries and both served on the Mercy Ship, Anastasis several years ago. They had so many powerful stories of the work on the ships. I am so grateful that there are people who are willing and able to serve on these life giving ships. Absorb all that you can of the experience as you will not ever be the same again. God bless you each day as you serve those in need.
5/2/2012 10:32:03 PM
Marsha Albert United States
Marsha Albert
Amy,
I was so touched by the words that you shared about your experiences on the Mercy ship and with Ameze and her daughter.  When you shared your story about how God worked the miracle of going on the Mercy ship, a mission trip, I wept all the way to work because I was so happy for you.  I prayed as a young person over forty five years ago, to be able to go to a mission field.  Even though I have not been able to visit a foreign field, I feel that I'm able to share in your experiences as you share about how God is working.  Thank you for being faithful and trusting in God.

Your friend, Marsha Albert
5/3/2012 10:22:45 AM
Darin Wales United States
Darin Wales
You go Amy!  I'm so glad you are getting to experience the Mercy Ship!  I worked on the Anastasis for 2 years, and what you are experiencing is almost a daily thing--I can attest!  Hearts, hands, and the love of Jesus!  Tell Dr. Gary I said "Hi!"
5/4/2012 10:18:19 AM
Peggy Hoefl United States
Peggy Hoefl
What a beautiful story about the African women. I love to watch as women here in the USA are transformed into who the LORD says they are.  Very similar I would imagine as the light goes on and they realize "I am loved by a Savior no matter what I have been through."  Blessings to you Amy.
5/5/2012 8:41:29 AM
JodyDenise Rodriguez United States
 JodyDenise Rodriguez
Amy, what a joy to see the way god helps its all gods work not ours he sent u to help and what a joy all of you did for the family's god be with you all in the name of Jesus
5/5/2012 1:11:13 PM
Lisa United States
Lisa
Isn't it amazing how 'simple' the surgery is to remove the cataracts and help the blind to see?  Dr. Glenn and his team do SUCH a great job.  Did you know Dr. Glenn pioneered the procedure done there on the ship and streamlined it with great success.  I want to say he can do like 50-60 of them a day!!!!  Thank God for the talents He has given to this selfless man (and his wife, Kim.)