Jun 25 2012

Stuff NOT to buy at the dollar store

The Dollar Store is fantastic for many things, such as wrapping paper, notebook paper, party supplies and children's books. But you may want to be careful with some of the following. What will you NOT buy at the dollar store?

• Toys (could contain led based paint)
  • Foods (many come from unregulated countries, the quality could be lower)
  • Electrical cords (many found to be unsafe)

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (18) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

6/25/2012 5:29:41 AM
amy whitis United States
amy whitis
I always buy my cleaner at DG! They have the best prices.
6/25/2012 5:34:32 AM
katie thon United States
katie thon
I buy party supplies and batteries.  if we need eith of those things we go to the dollar tree.
6/25/2012 5:35:39 AM
Kristyn United States
Kristyn
I never buy towels there. They fall apart within weeks. When we added up the cost of our purchases there versus a single purchase of a better brand that lasted several more years it was so not worth it!!
6/25/2012 5:51:12 AM
Joey United States
Joey
Never buy my underwear there.. I definitely only buy my underwear at K-Mart!
6/25/2012 5:55:55 AM
AJ United States
AJ
We tried buying batteries there and they were terrible.  Never again!
6/25/2012 5:58:25 AM
Vanessa United States
Vanessa
I'll buy pretty much anything from dollar tree! I don't buy shampoo or conditioner, i just can't skimp on these items or my hair feels like straw. Also watch for the quantities on items, like I was going to buy trash bags but the box only had 8 in it (and I am sure they were flimsy and I would end up picking garbage off the floor) but I can buy a box with 50 at ol' wally world for around 4 bucks.
6/25/2012 6:02:00 AM
Joy United States
Joy
Never buy toilet paper or trash bags at the dollar store.  There are some things in life you just shouldn't ever skimp on!  Smile
6/25/2012 6:15:08 AM
charles painter United States
charles painter
The old saying goes, you get what you pay for .... lol
6/25/2012 6:28:04 AM
Carla United States
Carla
When you are in college, you buy everything you can from the dollar store... if only they sold text books -_-
6/25/2012 6:39:15 AM
traci United States
traci
I actually know people that bought pregnancy tests at the dollar store and were SURPRISED to find them not reliable!  I have actually gotten hair color there that was pretty good. I have even gotten flea shampoos that were awesome!
6/25/2012 6:55:56 AM
Jill United States
Jill
Actually the pregnancy tests work....at the time frame it says. Its not an early result test. I say if you need an item for long term use buy elsewhere. It won't last long from there. Toys are cheap and fall apart. I like to get holiday decorations, seasonal things, and birthday cards/gift bags.
6/25/2012 6:56:34 AM
Cheryl United States
Cheryl
Never buy toothpaste or medicines. These are made in other countries most of the time which do not have the same regulations as those produced in the US
6/25/2012 6:58:26 AM
Amanda United States
Amanda
Don't buy OTC medicines or be very careful in doing so. They don't sell as much of these things and often they are sitting on the shelf already expired...
6/25/2012 7:51:07 AM
Tina United States
Tina
I have a pregnancy center in Livermore and I have had clients who bought pregnancy tests from the Dollar store and they came up "positive" when they were actually negative (not pregnant). Find your local pregnancy center...that is whey we are here Smile
6/25/2012 8:12:33 AM
Trish United States
Trish
It IS a great place to buy your party decorations, mylar/helium filled balloons, and knick knacks. And the occasional bottle of cold, name-brand soda. I don't buy foods, toys, dishes (for eating/drinking) and electrical supplies there.
6/25/2012 9:13:53 AM
Ladonna United States
Ladonna
More than half of what is purchased from other than the $ stores if from other countries so why not the $ stores. Produce?? nothing wrong with organic fresh express.
6/25/2012 9:14:58 AM
Ladonna United States
Ladonna
are
6/25/2012 5:14:59 PM
Kathie United States
Kathie
We live in a small town and have a dollar general store but no auto parts store..On the hottest day of the year our air in our car went out so we were desperate and bought a can of freon at DG...What a joke the can emptied out in like 2 seconds. and stil no air. I have found that the cleaner called "AWESOME" was a gret buy.. it is degreaser/ cleaner and needs to be diluted for certain uses...works great in the kitchen and as a stain remover.