Jul 24 2012

Renewing Your Wedding vows

A new trend where people are renewing their wedding vows after just one year. Craig does not understand the renewing of the vows. Have you or are you planning to renew your vows? Tell us why.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (11) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

7/24/2012 3:46:14 AM
Shelley Pope United States
Shelley Pope
Would reaffirmation or reaffirming your vows be better terminology than renewing?
7/24/2012 4:00:08 AM
Holly B. France
Holly B.
On your wedding day, you really had no idea what was ahead, you just had very young love. Now you know what those promises mean (the good, the hard, etc.). You've lived through so much together now, so really the vows have more meaning now. The days that we live out our vows are much more meaningful than the day we spoke them. How beautiful to reaffirm these promises before God and others.
7/24/2012 4:02:47 AM
Penny Corbett United States
Penny Corbett
Reaffirmation is another good one.  I also like Recommitting Your Love and Committment.
7/24/2012 5:33:01 AM
Kevin D. United States
Kevin D.
I believe God ask us to renew our vows to Him by renew our minds.Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the (Renewing) of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. By renewing your wedding vows you are just proving that your marriage once again is the will of God!
7/24/2012 7:34:36 AM
Debby United States
Debby
you just heard the reason for renewing (repeating, restating, etc.) your vows.  Jason Gray: "Tell me, once again who I am to You, who I am to You
Tell me, lest I forget Who I am to You, that I belong to You, to You."
Perhaps it's something you do for your SPOUSE, rather than for yourself, right in front of God and everyone!
7/24/2012 7:44:47 AM
Denise Santiago United States
Denise Santiago

I am a Wedding Planner and I love Renewals....what a blessing to see people that have made it to 10, 20, 25 , 50 years and are still committed to each other.....

Say "I Do" All Over Again
With Your Very Own
Marriage Renewal Ceremony

- Celebrate a significant anniversary
- Reaffirm the Love & Commitment in Your Marriage
- You want to "do it up" this time
- You've reached a milestone or come through a trying time

It's Always Good to Renew!
7/24/2012 7:48:28 AM
Sue United States
Sue
My husband and I are renewing our vows this October for our 30 year anniversary.  Our relationship/commitment to God 30 years ago was very minimal compared to where we are today.  This will be a blessing to us to make a renewed commitment to each other and to having God in our lives who chose us for each other.  We also look forward to sharing this special day with our daughter, son-in-law and son and young grandsons.
7/24/2012 7:59:05 AM
Michael Moore United States
Michael Moore
My wife and I renewed our vows for our 25th anniversary last year because I had promised her on our 5th that if we made it to 25 we would.  She didn't know that I had started working on it and stashing money away for it months in advance.  We didn't have a church wedding at our first ceremony and I always felt like I had cheated her out of that so I booked the church, set the date and time, bought new wedding bands and an engagement ring, flew her cousin down to Texas to stand for her, and proposed to her again before the ceremony.  She had no clue about any of this.  The only thing she actually did as far as the renewal was buy her dress.  She kept asking about different aspects of the wedding but I just kept saying "trust me."  It was brilliant!  She cried on four seperate occasions.  The problem I have now is I've had this addiction to surprising her and making her so happy that she cries, but each time gets more elaborate and complicated.  I'm still trying to figure out how I'll top this.
7/24/2012 8:36:05 AM
Judy Herkins United States
Judy Herkins
People are renewing now @ 1 yr.  REALLY? You have already forgotten what you promised (that's what a vow is)  Time/money would be better spent on a Couples weekend through a church, that really gives you time to reflect and spend time together. A marriage does need that constantly. LIfe has a way of getting between you and you need to reconnect.  Just a hindsight comment on my part, husband left after 22 yrs. for a co-worker.
7/24/2012 2:20:39 PM
Leanne United States
Leanne
I wonder if looking at wedding renewal from the covenants of Scripture would be helpful.
In the Old Testament times, a greater king--the emperor, would make a covenant with a lesser king--a small nation or city-state. Every year the lesser king's nation would gather and read aloud the covenant. The 10 Commandments is in the same fashion as those covenants. God made covenant with Israel and Exodus 19 and 20 are part of that covenant.
Every year, I believe on the Day of Atonement, the People of Israel were to gather and read the full covenant made with God. In the Passover, they also relive the saving act of God.
And every time Christians receive Communion, we are reciting the New Covenant in the Blood of Christ.
Marriage is a covenant. And covenants are not necessarily "renewed" but read over and over again as reminder and as declaration of who we are. We are God's people and we belong to God and to one another.
7/28/2012 10:03:07 AM
Kathryn United States
Kathryn
I would love to renew/reaffirm my vows if my husband will agree to it for our 10th anniversary. We have been through a lot in our 6 years together.  Marriage is too easy to get out of these days and I think the reaffirmation is a good thing.  I wish I had met my current husband many years ago because I know we will never live long enough to celebrate 50+ years like my parents.  They celebrated their 60th anniversary last year and one of my sisters just celebrated her 35th and one of my brothers just celebrated his 25th.  If we make 25 years my hubby will be 77 & I will be 72.  Don't think 50 or 60 years will ever happen, even though I would love to be married to him that long.