Aug 29 2012

What would you say?

Amy's 6 year old son Eli asked:

"If God knows what we think, then why do we have to pray?"

What's your answer?

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (10) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

8/29/2012 3:50:24 AM
Virginia Bunker Clark United States
Virginia Bunker Clark
I think prayer is God's gift of communication to us. When we express ourselves to Him it is for us. When we confess, express or thank Him it is edifying to our souls. It strengthens our resolve and cleans our minds and souls and allows us to be fed by His Spirit. Just like memorizing and confessing His Word, it confirms His place in our life with faith, and prayers. It confirms our relationship and salvation. Builds our foundation on a Rock, Jesus
8/29/2012 3:57:18 AM
Virginia Bunker Clark United States
Virginia Bunker Clark
I must share this. When I lost my son, I was devastated, crushed and I was just going through life without feeling, I was looking and responding but I felt nothing. Until I went to an excellent church and I shared my heart and hurt with God. All the anger, despair and uselessness. Through confession he healed me. Prayer is a tool for healing and restoration also. I praise Him for the gift of prayer.
8/29/2012 3:58:10 AM
Nora United States
Nora
I would ask my son if h knows that mommy loves him.  I know he would say "yes" because I always tell him and show him. Then I would ask "How would you feel if I quit saying and showing you 'I love you' since you already know?

( I typed this earlier but didn't see the comment show up, so I apologize if this shows up twice.)
8/29/2012 4:27:27 AM
Jeremy United States
Jeremy
Being imperfect human beings, we don't always follow what's in our heart.  God gives us the opportunity to choose the right path.  He wants us to choose to accept Jesus, live in His image, and to pray for the less fortunate every day.  We must choose to follow our heart daily.
8/29/2012 5:00:17 AM
David Potter United States
David Potter
Amy, Tell your son...."If Mommy asked you to take 2 heavy bags of trash out, and Daddy saw you carrying them, Daddy would know what you were doing but the bags would still be heavy wouldn't they? Now if you went to your Dad and asked for help, wouldn't he help and make the job easier? The same is with God. God sees and knows all but he wants you to come to him and tell him what is on your heart and then he will help you by taking some of that burden from you. God has given us all the freedom of choice and while it saddens him to see us struggle, it is up to us to come to Him and invite him into our hearts so he may share in our struggles and work."
8/29/2012 7:43:13 AM
Sherice Gilchrist-Reid United States
Sherice Gilchrist-Reid
Hi Eli,
I would answer your question like this. This bible says in all your ways acknowledge christ and he shall direct our path, we pray to have fellowship with him & him with us. Yes we knows all things even the numbers of hair that on you tiny little head after you brushed your hair this morning. But the main thing I would say to someone your age is God calls us to pray Not because he needs my prayers but because WE NEED HIM. "Pray Without Ceasing" 1 Thessalonians5:17 And in Colossians 4:2 he commands us to pray.I hope this helps yoyr little heart. Sherice
8/29/2012 10:26:48 AM
Spencer United States
Spencer
He has a good point, but I would tell him to still always pray! It makes your relationship with God stronger when you pray and put situations in his hands because you learn to trust him more.
8/29/2012 3:40:39 PM
Chad McIntyre United States
Chad McIntyre
I would say you need to pray so the Devil and his demons can hear who's Name you are crying out to and they will tremble in fear. They will know that you are a child of God and stay away.
8/30/2012 6:38:45 AM
Susan VanKirk United States
Susan VanKirk
The answer to this common question, "If God knows what we think, then why do we have to pray?", is quite simple.
GOD SAYS IT,
I BELIEVE IT,
THAT DOES IT!

In obedience to what God's word says, to "In everything,pray without ceasing," for whatever His devine plan is for us, we just need to "Do it"!
8/31/2012 7:23:40 AM
Laura Vanessa Colombia
Laura Vanessa
Nosotros oramos porque el quiere que abramos nuestro corazon y le digamos como realmente nos sentimos, porque es nuestro amigo quien se interesa de lo que sentimos y pensamos.

Cuando hablamos con Él, le expresamos lo que sentimos!