Mar 31 2010

How did you propose?

There's a great story at klove.com about Tim Tebow and the part he played in a sweet marriage proposal. Got us thinking about creative marriage proposals. Got any good stories? Sweet ones? Proposals with a few mishaps involved?

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (45) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

3/19/2010 10:20:14 AM
Stephanie Dannan United States
Stephanie Dannan
My husband proposed to me by taking me on a dinner cruise on the lake michigan. After we finished dinner, he got up to use the bathroom and I was sitting at the table all alone, when our waitress came and delivered a rose to me with a note attached to it. The note said "PAST." Then a couple of minutes later, the waitress delivered another rose to me, this time with a note that said "Present." Then a couple of minutes later, the waitress set down my dessert plate in front of me, and written on the plate were the words "Will you Marry me, Stephanie?" in CHOCOLATE!! I looked up and there was my husband on one knee, with the ring in one hand and the last rose in the other hand. On the last rose there was a piece of paper that said "Future." on it. He said "Will you marry me?" and I said YES!!
3/19/2010 10:20:50 AM
Stephanie Dannan United States
Stephanie Dannan
3/19/2010 10:22:31 AM
Jennifer United States
Jennifer
To propose to me,my husband pretended to have left his watch behind in church on the Sunday night before Valentine's.  After dinner, we went back to the church to supposedly retrieve the watch.  On the altar was a single rose.  He gave me the rose and knelt before me and said that many of the most important events of our lives take place in a church...being saved, growing in Christ, weddings, funerals...and he wanted to add asking me to marry him to that list.  Of course I said yes...and we have grown together in Christ and in church for 15 years.
3/19/2010 10:27:48 AM
April United States
April
My husband asked me to marry him 6 weeks after we started dating. I just busted out with "no".
About a month later he asked me again and before I could answer he said "you're not ready, you didn't answer me fast enough".
The 3rd time he brought it up "I said, I'm in love with you but I guess I'm waiting for God to drop a brick on my head. I made a lot of mistakes without God in my life and I don't want to make any mistakes WITH God in my life". The very next morning at church, Pastor came to us and said "do you mind coming up front and letting me pray with you". We went up and the first words out of his mouth were "God I don't know if these 2 have talked about spending the rest of their lives together or not but I know it was an unction from you to pray for them..." When he was finished praying my husband looks at me and says "so, was that the brick you were looking for?". I said "Yes, you can ask me now". Don't you know he made me wait another month before he asked me again!!!! We'll be married 9 years in May with 2 wonderful kids. I'm so blessed!!
3/19/2010 10:27:49 AM
Carrie Murphy United States
Carrie Murphy
Hi!  I wasn't proposed to in a very unique way but I do have a unique anniversary.  My anniversary is tomorrow April 1st.  I have been blessed by God with the most amazing man in my husband Jeff.  I am so thankful for the last 12 years and look forward to so many more.  I love him so much and was hoping you could share it with the listeners!!
3/19/2010 10:29:33 AM
Sarah United States
Sarah
It was Christmas Eve and we were getting ready to meet family for church when we realized we should catch up on our advent calendar.  My husband made sure he had the odd days and I had the even days.  When I opened up the door for the 24th the chocolate had been replaced by a diamond ring!  He asked if I would marry him, and I said yes, of course!
3/19/2010 10:31:29 AM
Matthew Irick United States
Matthew Irick
I am not married, but this is the story of my friend's sister's proposal. She had a fascination with beanie babies so he bought her the kangaroo and he put a note in the pouch that said turn around. When she turned around he was on one knee with the ring. She said yes and the rest is history.
3/19/2010 10:31:59 AM
Scott Reynolds United States
Scott Reynolds
I preposed to my fiancee while during a time sitting around the fire pit in her parents backyard I got down on one knee and the first words out of my mouth were ouch my knee her family were a where of my preposal but she wasn't I brought out the ring and asked her would have the honor of being my wife she said yes and everyone clapped
3/19/2010 10:34:30 AM
Janette Warren United States
Janette Warren
Married almost 34 years, but my husband never asked me to marry him and I did NOT ask him!  We were on a walk and he asked me "What would you say IF I asked you to marry me?". I looked him in the eye and said, "IF you asked me, I'd say "Yes"." He figured he already got his answer so he NEVER ASKED. But, the funnier part is that when he went to ask my parents if we could be married, my dad, a pastor, didn't say yes but "Well, let me give you a personally profile test". My dad took us out for ice cream to discuss what he found but HE NEVER said yes either, although 6 months later he married us! We're almost at our 34th anniversay with 3 boys and 5 grandchildren and we still laugh at our story!
3/19/2010 10:36:43 AM
Stefanie United States
Stefanie
Last summer my boyfriend asked me if I had ever been to the Jefferson City state capital, I said no...so one saturday he took me there and it was closed but he told them his name and they let him in...I was sooo excited, so he showed me around and took me  all the way to the top he had all the keys to the doors, he took me to a room called the whispering room and sat me on one side then he went to the other side and wispered all these sweet things like " I couldn't imagine my life without you" and "I love   you with all of my heart"...then he walked to me and got on one knee holding the ring and said will you make me the happiest man in the world, will you marry me!! Then he took me even higher up and pointed to the gardens and said I have a photographer meeting us there later to take our picures, then he took me on a shopping spree and to get my nails done!! Hes sooo amazing!!
3/19/2010 10:38:04 AM
Heather Husk United States
Heather Husk
I have always loved crafts so when I heard that a pottery painting store opened in our area I couldn't wait to go.  One evening, several months after the store opening my now husband suprised me with a painting session.  This was very big, because Jacob has never been a craft person.  We picked out plates and then he had a game for us to play.  He wanted me to paint something that reminded me of him and he would paint something reminding him of me.  Once finished he wanted us to guess what the other had painted.  When it came my turn to guess I was unable to figure it out.  He finally gave me hint and said "it's a word people use everyday but sometimes nod their head instead of saying it."  I then said "Yes?"  He responded by saying you haven't heard the question yet and held up his plate.  He had painted the words Will you marry me with a diamond ring in the middle.  I burst into tears as he knelt down with the ring.  We have been married now for 2 1/2 years.  God blessed me with this wonderful man.
3/19/2010 10:38:19 AM
chris allen United States
chris allen
I am not yet marreyed. I am going to propos very soon. My girlfriend want a ring with her name on it. so I will get her a ring thit sai's I love you Julie.
3/19/2010 10:38:50 AM
Cheryl Wick United States
Cheryl Wick
When I was growing up, I was taught to keep to myself when I overhear people talking about others and not butt in. So when my boyfriend at the time came home from fishing with his uncle, his uncle had called me to his boat to pick up some fish. Well, he wanted me to come down for a reason: to tell me that my boyfriend had said that he is not going to tell me about the money he had made that day. His uncle had thought it was important for me to know about it. Well, I was so devastated that he would do something like that to me, I just felt broken. Then my YoungLives counselor called to invite me to a Father's day picnic at her place and to bring family. Well, that day I felt like I had no family because my mom decided she would spend the day drinking and I just felt disconnected from my boyfriend. I cried to my counselor and told her how I felt. All day I would find myself in tears just feeling alone! Well, my boyfriend asked if I wanted to go pick salmon berries with him and so I agreed. When we got out of the car, I walked up to a bush and he kept fiddling around near the car, but I wasn't going to ask what he was doing. He walked over and said, "before we pick berries, I want to show you something." He pulled out a box and opened it in front of me. I didn't know what to say after how I felt that day. My boyfriend, I imagine was a nervous wreck, and I probably made it worse by not saying anything or doing anything. I just stared at the ring, until he asked, "well, aren't you going to try it on?" I took it out of the box and put it on. We were married exactly 51 weeks later. That day, I was reminded of the lesson I was taught when I was younger: not to get into anybody else's business because I may not know the whole story.
3/19/2010 10:41:36 AM
Misty United States
Misty
My husband and I are high school sweethearts... On our 1 yr came around we were going out on Sat The Tuesday before my husband and I was on the phone and I asked him what his plans were for the following day... he told me he had to run around town.... and do this and that... Pick up my ring... and so on and so on.... So I knew what was going on Sat night.... SO the night came and he was just talking around the subject.... He showed me a sell ad and asked me if he was to buy a ring what would I like... Of course I pick out the most expensive on the page... Well he went on his knee and asked me to marry him... I told him NO... He didnt' know what to say so I started laughing... and told him he told me he was buying the ring... he didnt' believe me and I had to call my best friend just to show him that I knew it.. WE have been married 11 yrs with 2 kids....

The best part of our story is I was dating someone else when I met my husband and God told me "this is the man you will marry"... Months later after we started dated my husband told me the day we met God told him " I was the woman he would marry".... he also was dating someone... We never ment for anything to happen but God did....
3/19/2010 10:42:10 AM
Nick United States
Nick
I proposed to my fiancee at 11:30 pm after a chass we had a church. Earlier in the week, I hadn't been home to pick up the ring (I ordered it), so it had to be delivered again in 3 days. On that day, I almost missed the pick-up date again If I didn't pick it up, it would go back to the jeweler! I did get it though but didn't have time to ask her before the class.
After the class, we talked for a little bit in her car in my driveway. The Lord told me that this was the night! I went into my home to change into warm clothes, and I got the ring without her knowing. The stars were out and it was beautiful. I had just gotten contact lenses so I could see them, which was something we had wanted to do, so we looked at the stars for a bit. She was ready to go after that because she had to work the next day. I was ready to ask, but she was ready to go! I asked her, and she got really upset because it was so late, and she had to work! Finally, after some prayer, she said YES!
3/19/2010 10:42:21 AM
Alyssa United States
Alyssa
My fiance was a manager at lowes in medford worked there for four years and we were four years apart..well he quit his job and moved up where i am so that we could be together after the first six months..I got a job at the lowes in my town and a month after our one year aniversary dating he came into my work and i was talking to a manager..he snuck up behind me and when i turned around he was down on one knee and asked me in front of all my coworkers and shoppers.. I had only been there a few months.So i repeated to tell him to get up and continued to ask him if he was serious.of coarse i said yes.well after he left and i went back to work that manager that was talking to me came up to me and told me that they had planned it all out so that he could purpose to me in the place that we met a year ago....but in a different town...it was amazing
3/19/2010 3:47:48 PM
Angela Mueller United States
Angela Mueller
The first time I met my husband was in June at Multnomah Falls in the beautiful Columbia Gorge. We started dating that fall. He proposed to me three months later on his parents 40th anniversary.  He took me back to the falls on a dark rainy night.  We were at the bottom of the falls when he began to propose.  I had to stop him, because my glasses fogged up and I wanted to see his face! We married 6 months later.  That was almost 14 years ago.
3/19/2010 3:48:53 PM
Jaime Osborne United States
Jaime Osborne
My husband and I had been dating for a few years. And we had talked about marriage before, but I thought it was something was in the far future. So we decided to start the process of building a house. And he took me out to show me the property and he knelt down in the mud and proposed to me where the family room of our house was going to be built. I was so concerned about him getting all muddy, he started laughing and I said "yes". Then politely asked to wipe the mud off before getting in the car. We are approaching our 5th anniversary this July and have a healthy and happy 3yr old daughter. We are so blessed by God! He is so AMAZING!
3/19/2010 3:49:56 PM
Tracy V Chavez United States
Tracy V Chavez

My fiancee proposed in the most unique way.  He's a triathlete by hobby and was trying to figure out how to propose and in the meantime I was training with him for a marathon, a friend suggested that he should propose during the marathon, but he thought that would not be too memorable.
Boy was he wrong! Because when he decided to get down on one knee three miles before the finish line with the excuse that his leg hurt   there on the sidelines of the Honolulu Marathon 2009.  I Know I will never forget. I was sooo tired I don't remember if I said yes in my excitement/tiredness that the only thing that came to my mouth was put it on, put it on! :0) But he soon confirmed that it was a yes as we headed out hand in hand to cross that finish line together into a new chapter of our lives.

By the way we finished in 4 hours and 45 minutes!
YAY for memorable proposals!
3/19/2010 3:56:33 PM
Patricia Bryant United States
Patricia Bryant
My husband and I were interns together at a ministry internship. He was my boss. I felt the Lord speaking to my heart strongly that "he would be someone very special in my life" the first time I saw him walking down the walkway. He ended up being my boss. As time grew, I knew it was something pretty special. But we grew as friends and NEVER had a talk of a relationship until he was already gone from the internship and I was on with my graduate internship. He had moved on to be a missionary in El Salvador. about 4 months after he left for El Salvador, he called me from a payphone and said, "I feel the Lord has told me that you are gonna be my wife, and everything I do I is turning back towards you and I love you. I dont know what the Lord has in store for us, but we both know it is on the field". That was our FIRST conversation of a relationship/marriage. 8 months later after returning from the field he proposed to me the night before my graduation from the graduate program. He had one of the girls i was mentoring for that year, take me on a walk which eventually led to a gazebo in the shape of Africa that was covered in candles roses and HIM! Smile It was beautiful. 3 months later we married. Now its been 7 1/2 years, 3 years spent as missionaries, and 3 beautiful children later... here we are. Smile Everyday we fall more and more in love with one another. He is currently away with the military, but our hearts are growing fonder and fonder as each day passes. We praise God for the mountain tops, the valleys and this beautiful adventure He calls marriage! Smile
3/19/2010 3:56:37 PM
Tracy V Chavez United States
Tracy V Chavez

By the way we finished in 4 hours and 45 minutes!
YAY for memorable proposals!
3/19/2010 3:58:10 PM
Debbie Kistler United States
Debbie Kistler
We had went to Florida on vacation at his parents house on Anna Maria Island. While we where there, we went by boat to Egmont Key. Scott and I were walking down the beach when he stopped and stooped down and started filling a heart shaped bottle with sand. I stooped down and helped him. After he put the cork on the bottle I stood up and he went on one knee and asked me to marry him. I said yes.
3/19/2010 4:04:14 PM
Mary Haas United States
Mary Haas
I met my husband on a group outing to Red, White and Boom (July 4th, firework show in Columbus, OH).  We both were volunteers for a local youth center.  I actually was on a "first time" date with another guy, but knew it would be the last date since there was no connection and thought "Wow, to bad I had this guy as my date because I would really like to get to know him (my now husband of almost 16 years and father of our two children).  The group- about six of us- enjoyed the fireworks that evening.  And, it turned out that Scott felt the same way about me, because he called a few weeks later and asked me to a "Four Him" Concert- I actually thought he was getting "the group" together but found out it was just the "two of us".  That was back in 1993.  Now we have two wonderful children together- Caitlyn 12 and Colton 9- we both now serve as Wednesday night teachers for our son,s class at our home church Berean Baptist.

Scott put my engagement ring in a Crunch and Munch box enclosed in a little envelop.  I really thought it was a little prize that you would find in a Cracker Jack Box until he got down on his knee and asked me to marry him.  Wow, I still get weak in the knees when I stop and think of how great God is to put such a wonder man into my life.
3/19/2010 4:04:32 PM
Wendy Smith United States
Wendy Smith
I met my husband at Disneyland.  Yes, the Happiest Place on Earth.  I was a Main Street Disney Character and my husband, Stuart, was a climber on the Matterhorn.  We met near the wishing well in front of the castle after he had just completed his set entertaining the guests with his stunts on the Matterhorn.  I was supervising some of the characters in front of the castle.  After a casual conversation he asked me to dinner, a date of rock climbing at the local gym, and a movie.  About a year later while I was doing a set as Minnie Mouse, my sweet Matterhorn Climber came to me by the wishing well and on bent knee asked me to marry him.  And of course I said yes.  That was 14 years ago and we have lived Happily Ever After.
3/19/2010 4:07:20 PM
Chris United States
Chris
Casey proposed (well kind of) last Sunday.  We were on the way home from church and he looked over at me when we were at a stoplight and said that it had really been weighing on his heart that we could not serve at church, so we should "go to the courthouse tomorrow to get a marriage license", this kind of came as a surprise to me, but was definitely an answer to my prayers (as well as prayers of our friends) So the next day we went to the court house, got the license and called the pasto.  When he told his friends he realized he had done it a little backwards, so 2 days ago he took my daughters shopping to approve the ring, when I got home he got down on one knee and formally proposed.
3/19/2010 4:08:57 PM
Charles United States
Charles
I'm from Ohio, but proposed to my now wife in Philadelphia.  My college roommate was a runner, and he got this 280+ pound man into running.  Our girlfriends came with us to Philly for the Marathon in Nov '08.  He was running the half-marathon and I ran the 8k, my longest run 'til the Detroit half in '09.  I had planned on doing it at Love Park, but when we got around to it, it was dusk and there were skateboarders galore.  I thought this is not romantic at all!  So I waited until supper at a nice small fancy restaurant with a live piano music.  Candlelit room ambiance, the works.  My roommate's girlfriend and I were silently arguing when the right moment would be, but couldn't decide.  Instead, I thought I'd ask to do it at the finish line in front of everyone.  It couldn't be done on short notice.  Frantically hiding the ring before the race, I ran with it in my pocket around a Burt's Bees chap-stick.  I finished my 8k, and stretched so I wouldn't cramp when I knelt down.  I tapped my girlfriend, already knelt down and ring ready.  She first thought I was a kid, but quickly found out I had a ring in my hand.  I asked, and she said "Are you serious?"  I asked again, and she said "of course."  We've been happily married for 3 1/2 months.
3/19/2010 4:15:45 PM
Marcie United States
Marcie
My husband proposed to me at his nefews wedding.The wedding was in Texas, we live in Oklahoma. Everyone at the wedding new what was going on except me. I could hear people whispering when i'd walk past them, I was shocked because these people didn't even know me. My soon to be prakster brother in laws were acting a little different. I kept asking my soon to be husband what they were up to he would reply with I don't know but you better watch out, he acted a little nervous too, but I didn't catch on.  The Bride was counting as she was getting ready to throw her boquet she got to the #3 and my husband interupted took one of the flowers came over to me and infront of ALL these people we didn't know he got down on one knee and proposed.
          He had already asked my parents the weekend before Not sure how my mom kept quiet because she tells my everything. We have been married almost 13 yrs.
3/19/2010 4:29:14 PM
Sarah United States
Sarah
My fiance's proposal definitely took me by surprise.  It was just a few weeks ago on our one year anniversary of our first date. I knew that he was going to propose sometime soon, but I didn't think it would happen that night because I would have seen it coming.  So he decided to do it right at the moment when I didn't see it coming.  We were leaving the restaurant and walking out to the car.  It was my car, but he drove, so he went around to open the passenger door for me, like he had done on our first date.  Just as I was thinking, "Oh how nice," he was down on one knee.  I was so surprised that I don't even remember saying yes.  And after that I said "Is this really happening?"  And he said, "Yes it is. Turn around."  I finally looked in the car and saw on the seat a bouquet of roses, a bunch of rose petals, and the ring sitting open in the box.  Then in a big blur he was putting the ring on my finger, and then pointing out across the parking lot the car that contained his mom, sister, and brother's fiance, who had set everything up while we were at dinner, using a copy of a car key that my dad had made when we were at my house one weekend.  So everyone was in on it, including my dad.  It was pretty awesome but very shocking.  I just didn't expect it that night, at that time, so it was quite a nice surprise!
3/19/2010 4:42:58 PM
Brianna United States
Brianna
CRACKER JACKS!!!

My fiancé is so clever! He lives in the Bay area near San Francisco, so on Valentines Day, the day he proposed, he re-created the first time he took me to the city! We went shopping, made a build-a bear, and before going to dinner we stopped at the top of Grizzly Peak. While we watched the sun set over the Golden Gate Bridge, he gave me a wrapped gift. When I opened it, it was a box of cracker jacks! I laughed! He said “check for the prize" so I dumped out the sweet treat and there it was! My ring. I cried! He turned to me and said "baby, will you marry me?" and with out hesitation I said "OF COURSE I'LL MARRY YOU"! We're due to be married on October 10th 2010! : )
3/19/2010 4:46:21 PM
Jacque Schroeder United States
Jacque Schroeder
Although we had been dating for 3 years, we had had few serious discussions about the permanancy of our relationship (we both had painful breakups in our pasts). For his birthday, I decided to stitch a pillow for him; looking through my fabric I found a small piece of M&M fabric for the back panel (we both like that candy!) - but what message could I stitch? Then came a flash of inspiration: M M = Marry Me!  What a cute pillow it turned into - just one of several presents-
and when he opened the gift bag, he pulled out the finished pillow, read it a few times to be sure he was seeing correctly and turned beet-red.
That was 9 years 3 months ago, and we just celebrated our 9th anniversary!
3/19/2010 5:05:13 PM
Sonya United States
Sonya
My proposal happened in the walmart parking lot, cause I'm an impatient person. Smile It was Valentine's Day of this year, and since it was on a sunday, I didn't work but my fiance did. He was on his lunch and I had just gotten out of church. So I went down to walmart and pestered him til he gave in and gave me my valentine's day present which was my engagement ring. Smile We got out to his car and he took the box out of his car and got down on one knee and held the box out and I took it out of his hands and started crying. Smile He didn't even have to ask. :-D It wasn't very romantic or anything but it was still special to me. It was unique. How many people can say they got engaged in the walmart parking lot. Laughing
3/19/2010 5:34:30 PM
Barbie United States
Barbie
my husband and me meet each other in a christianmachmaker.com we talk for few months before i really give him my phone # to call me. no kithing, he call  me right away, and we talk for 4hrs, next day for 3 hrs. and we talk every day for long time. we start getting interesting one an other, we share pitures etc. i was a minister in a small church in n.j. he was a mail man in a insurance comp. and also a security personel in the performent arts in ca. yep he was in the west coast and i was in the east coast. but for God nothing is imposible. we fell in love, even the we never see one and other in person, just in pictures and phone calls. one day i was in my office and my co-minister ( we share the house) call me the i had to come home asap. I whent to the house, and the was a big box for me. i opend the box and was a beutifull base with baby pink roses plant.( he knew i don't like red) and there was, he wright, "barbie, i love you with all my heart, the you marrige me?" i told was a jock of my friends, but not was for real, and the fonny part took me couple of day to respond because he don't put his name. lol. but i told him yes. few months after, we was going to meet in ca. and for some reason we can't wait one extra day to see in person one an other, so we meet in las vegas, nevadas. i was with my mom. when i see him, feel like i know him all my life, same with him. the next day, we desire to go to a beutifull small christian chaple and we got marriage. crasy, yep. but that happend for real in february 11, 2000, and we still toguether since that day. we had a lot things happend in this ten years togueter, but because we start our relationship with God's blessings, we expect to expend the rest of our lifes togueter unto God call us in to His present.
3/19/2010 6:22:07 PM
Lacey United States
Lacey
My husband really did the fairytale: He had a very formal Christmas party at work one year-it was very much like a ball.  He bought me a formal dress and we did the whole tux and formal, hair and nails, the whole 9 yrds.  He hired a horse drawn carriage to take us around the town before the party.  We danced, and then we walked across the street to a nice park where he proposed.  I felt like Cinderella, but I didn't lose my slipper or my fairytale at midnight!
3/19/2010 6:55:37 PM
Jennifer United States
Jennifer
One of my friends from high school just got engaged in the last couple of days. One of their mutual friends does videography, and made this video for them. It was just too adorable not to share.

aquavivus.com/.../dave-kristen-engagement.html
3/19/2010 7:51:23 PM
charley United States
charley
well the first time around we eloped because her mother didn't like me needless to say people were not to happy about it on both sides well we been together 21 yrs married i think 17 or 18 yrs we never had a honeymoon or any thing like that but she talks about getting married in a church about every couple yrs or so i always say no for what well when klove started the love dare she wanted me to go through it with her so i did well she got about half way through it and quit well i finished the book well on valentines day the pastor had an alter call so we went up as he started praying my eyes were closed i started seeing visions of me and my wife getting married at this alter so after prayer we went back to are seat after church went home ate lunch then i remembered that i have not read the last day so i went up stairs then there it was again  renew my vows before my minister family and in front of GODS eyes well thank you for doing the love dare now im a nerves wreck and don't know how to ask need help do u guys have any suggestions
3/19/2010 9:54:22 PM
Erin United States
Erin
My husband and I met about 4 1/2 years ago at church. I started out dating and engaged to his best friend. But during this relationship felt very unsettled, I had this huge crush on my husband and had had a dream in which I was pregnant and he was the father. At the time he thought I was no good and he didn't really like me. After I broke it off with his friend we started up a friendship and about 6 months later we started dating. While we were dating I mentioned to him that as a kid I always dreamed about being proposed to at the top of the ferris wheel in Santa Cruz, California. So, when I took him to visit my dad he managed to make it to a jewelry store and ask my dad's permission...all without me knowing. We went to Santa Cruz and the first thing he wanted to do was go on the ferris wheel. I wanted to wait till it was dark, but he insisted. I was oblivious, pointing out all the cool things you could see while he was trying to propose. Eventually he had to tell me to be quiet. I didn't actually answer him, i just kissed him, and my parents got pictures of the whole thing! We ended up breaking it off for a while to take a step back and make sure this was what God wanted. And exactly 3 months after he proposed the 1st time he proposed again. This time he did it in a park on a picnic under our favorite tree, complete with photographer! When I was pregnant with our second son my fingers swelled really bad and I had to take of my engagement ring at church, which I handed to him. It fell out of his pocket and we couldn't find it. I was devastated. We went searching for an identical ring locally but couldn't find one. My husband called my dad to find the name of the jewelry store he bought the ring from, then called the store and bought me the exact same ring. At midnight on our anniversary he replicated the second proposal on our living room floor, asked me if I would spend the rest of my life with him and gave me the ring. What else could I say but yes?
3/20/2010 10:12:16 AM
Sandy United States
Sandy
My story is short and with very little romance, but sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands.  My husband and I had been dating for 4 years and both were in our early twenty's.  He was and still is a very laid back person....you know opposites attract.  Smile  We were very happy, but I wasn't sure if he would ever ask me to marry him, so one day, I put money down to reserve a fire hall for our wedding reception and told him "I put $100.00 down on a hall for two years from today....if it doesn't work out....you owe me $50.00."  He said just tell me what to wear and what time to be there.  I know...not the great romantic story so many have told, but it worked for us.  We have been married for 26 years and our relationship is still going strong.
3/20/2010 10:29:47 AM
Kristine United States
Kristine
As part of our Easter celebration, we like to get together with a group of friends and hold a Passover dinner.  Traditionally, at a certain point after the meal, the children search for the afikomen, a piece of matzah bread that has been previously hidden. Once someone finds the afikomen, the patriarch barters with the finder over the price for which it can be "redeemed".  Lacking a traditional family structure, we generally have either the host or the oldest guy in attendance play the part of the patriarch, and any unmarried folks play the part of the children.  This particular year, I found the afikomen, and my now-husband was the one who got to barter for it.  I asked for a ring, assuming that we would go buy it at a later date when he was ready to propose.  But apparently, he had already gone shopping.  When we went on a walk later that evening, he got down on one knee and presented the ring I had asked for.

The entire Passover service is a reminder of the wonderful things that God has done for us.  Now I have one more specific blessing, probably the greatest in my life next to the Atonement of Christ, to be reminded of at Passover.
3/20/2010 12:00:30 PM
Kayla` United States
Kayla`
I went with my husband, Al, out to his parent’s house to visit them and also his sister, her husband, and their little girl that were in town for Memorial Weekend. It had been raining all morning and was still raining when we got to his parents house.  When we got to his parents house his dad was the only one home because the rest of the family had ran into town.  (Al’s parents life in a forested part of one of the mountains).  Al then wanted to go on a four-wheeler ride and I thought since there wasn’t much else to do it’d still be fun even though it was pouring.  At the last minute he decided we’d drive up to a spot on one of the mountains he grew up playing at.  He had called it “Heart Rock”.  We got up there and had to climb some big boulders and they were really slick.  I kept thinking I was going to slip off the boulders.  We got to the top of the boulder and Al went over to a spot on one of the boulders and pointed to where there was a heart that had naturally been formed into it.  We talked for a short while and I turned away from him to look at something.  When I turned back around Al was down on one need and asked me to marry him.  I thought he was joking at first and then he pulled out the ring.  I started shaking and was completely speechless.  He had hoped it was going to clear up, but I told him that the rain made it more romantic.  We stayed up there and just enjoyed the moment and took a few pictures of the heart and the ring and us.  When we climbed down and got back into his pickup he even had it rigged up so it would play our song.
3/20/2010 2:15:53 PM
claudia flores United States
claudia flores
A few weeks after my husband and I started dating, he was whisked away on an out of town business trip for a MONTH. Through it all, we kept a long distance relationship, and it seemed that the longer we were apart the closer we got. Well, by the time he got home we were both  head over heels in love with each other.
About a week after he arrived back home,the topic of marriage came up and I asked him when he thought we would get married (expecting him to say a year or two from now).But he answered why not tomorrow? My jaw dropped to the floor and the next thing I knew he was down on one knee and telling me that he knew from that 1st glance at me that we were destined by God and that he didn't want to waste another moment of knowing that I wasn't his wife. I said yes, and the next day, we snuck out to city hall, didn't tell a soul and surprised everyone with our news. it was the most romantic day of our lives and it will never be forgotten.We are happily married, and ecstatic to be hitting our one year anniversary just as much in love as we were from the 1st day we met.
3/20/2010 4:07:35 PM
Teresa United States
Teresa
My husband had a very special way he proposed.  He took me to his squadron Christmas party.  They give away alot of door prizes at the party and when you win a door prize you sit on Santa's lap.  You are give a number and when your # is drawn you win a prize.  Well I won a door prize a bunch of CD (by the way of a bunch of groups I had never heard of but that is beside the point.) Later in the evening my number was drawn a 2nd time.  I actually argued with Santa that your number can't be drawn twice but eveyone insisted I go ahead and accept the 2nd prize.  I sat on Santa's lap to open my prize.  I only opened one end of the box and never actually took the paper out from around the box.  The gift inside was a jewelry box and hidden in one of the drawers without me knowing was my engagement ring.  Well, between the wrapping paper and the box was a card with my husband's proposal but since I didn't remove the paper from the box I never saw the card so my husband had to come up in front of everyone and get down on one knee and propose to me.  It was a special night I'll never forget and many of the husbands there never will either because there were a lot of wife asking "Why didn't you come up with something so romatice when you proposed."
3/20/2010 10:46:50 PM
Glenn-Dee Kuwaye United States
Glenn-Dee Kuwaye
From Paris, with love
by Colin M. Stewart
Tribune-Herald Staff Writer

Published: Sunday, March 28, 2010 8:10 AM HST
Kona boy proposes to Hilo girl beneath the lights of Eiffel Tower
Seven years ago, Mark Damaso gave his new girlfriend a stool he made for her in eighth-grade woodshop.

It was the first of many gifts he would hand-fashion for Farida Padamada. But none of them displayed quite the depth of feeling as his latest token of affection.

Nor the height.

Call it a unique crossbreed of cliches. Something between "From Here to Eternity" and "Sabrina": Kona boy meets Hilo girl. Hilo girl dreams of someday visiting Paris. Kona boy builds 20-foot-tall replica of Eiffel Tower in backyard and asks Hilo girl to marry him.

Yes, you read that correctly.

Even at 21, Damaso knows his way around tools. A carpenter for Takamine Construction, he says that his love affair with woodwork began at the same time as his love affair with Padamada.

"We met at a friend's house in Kona," he said. "I made her a stool in woodshop, and I think that was when I learned how much I liked making things."

In turn, Padamada became enamored with Damaso. And French.

Click Photo to Enlarge
Standing together in the glow of their very own Eiffel Tower, Mark Damaso pops the question to his beloved Frida Padamada on a recent night in Hilo.
"I took French in high school. That's what sparked my interest in Paris," said the 2006 Hilo High grad. "That's where I wanted to go after my graduation, but, financially, it's not very feasible right now."

As a nursing student set to graduate in May, the 21-year-old Padamada says she hasn't had the money to make her dream come true.

So, Damaso did what he does best -- and nabbed himself a fiancee in the process.

"He decided to bring Paris to me," Padamada said with an enormous smile across her face.

Damaso made up his mind about two years ago that he would ask his girlfriend to marry him under an Eiffel Tower replica.

Click Photo to Enlarge
The couple sheath the main assembly of the Eiffel Tower with plastic wrap to protect it from the elements. They intend to keep the symbol of their love for each other, storing the disassembled components on a relative's property. - William Ing/Tribune-Herald
Damaso began his task of recreating Paris' most recognizable tourist destination by formulating a plan. This was no typical, back-of-a-napkin sketch, however.

"First of all, I had to draw it, to scale it, from the original blueprint, which I found online," he said. "Then it was just going with a protractor and a ruler and trying to figure out the degrees to scale it down. There are some modifications, but I tried to replicate it as much as possible, as much as I could."

Two months ago, he dove into the construction, using a mixture of wood, metal, screws, nails, paint and lights. He built three large sections that were hidden in Padamada's cousin's backyard.

"He usually fails at surprises, so this was a really big surprise," said Padamada's cousin, Arlene Lubong, who watched Damaso slaving away on the project in her yard.

Lubong said she and Damaso put a lot of effort into ensuring Padamada wouldn't find out about the plan.

"He asked me for advice, like what should we tell her if she comes over and asks what he's doing here," she said. "We said he should tell her he was building a playhouse for my daughter."

Damaso would tell Padamada that he had to work late shifts, or he would tell her he had to help friends and family with projects. Then he would head to her cousin's house and continue his labor of love, sometimes working into the wee hours of the morning before heading home.

Ultimately, however, Padamada admits to being oblivious to the white lies Damaso told in order to work his magic.

"Usually, we're not very good at surprising each other," she said. "I don't know if it's intuition or whatever. Every anniversary (of our first meeting) for the past six years, we've always known what each other's gifts were. I don't know how that works -- if it's clues from everyday conversation, I don't know. We just kind of play along though and pretend to be surprised.

"But this one, yeah, he surprised me," she added.

Once all the pieces of the puzzle were in place, Damaso enlisted the help of his brothers, George and Kenny Damaso, and his brother-in-law, Charlie Garganta, to help him carry the pieces and assemble his surprise.

Seven years to the day of their first meeting, the couple made plans to meet at a party, and Padamada was waiting for his arrival when Damaso hatched his plan.

"I get a call at 8 o'clock, and he goes, 'I'm sorry, I left my keys in my truck and I'm locked out. I don't have a spare. You have the spare, can you come pick me up?'

"Now, this is, um, something that happens a lot," she said with a laugh. "So it was totally believable."

Padamada and her mother jumped in the car and headed to University Heights Park, finding Damaso standing in front of the huge wooden structure holding a guitar.

Damaso had lined the walkway with candles. One of Damaso's brothers handed Padamada a dozen roses as the other hit the lights lining the tower.

"I'm walking down the runway, and then I start running," Padamada said. "But then I stop because I'm in heels and I figure, 'Oh, this is not going to be good if I fall.' So I slowed down, and when I get to him and I hug him, he says 'Wait, I have to play you a song.' And by then I'm already bawling."

Damaso, who had never played guitar before, had convinced a friend to teach him a single song, which he had been practicing for the last two years.

It was Adam Sandler's "I Wanna Grow Old With You," featuring such lyrics as:

"I wanna make you smile whenever you're sad,

carry you around when your arthritis is bad.

I'll get you medicine when your tummy aches,

build you a fire if the furnace breaks.

Give you my coat when you are cold,

even let you hold the remote control."

"I like it because it's very pertinent to real relationships," Padamada said.

Following the song, Damaso dropped to his knees and requested her hand in marriage.

The answer, in case you were worried, was "yes."
3/21/2010 6:02:27 AM
M Smith United States
M Smith
This happened to my boyfriend's best friend:
Drew was going to propose to Jennifer and he had been wanting to wait for a night when the forecast was set for snow. Well no snow was coming all week and the ring was burning a hole in his pocket! When Drew asked her dad's permission, they laid out some ground rules and he finally met them and the wait for snow was too much. So anyway, he takes her out to this place on the Puget Sound one evening and he sings the song he wrote for her on his guitar, popped the question, and just as she said, "Yes!" God brought the snow!
3/21/2010 8:34:13 AM
Sarah Burden United States
Sarah Burden
A TRACTOR- A CULTIVATOR- AND A FEILD
  My husband ( boyfriend of eight years)proposed to me in the most unique and wonderful way. He is a very clever and brilliant young man who has the desire to farm.
  I will give you an excerpt from my journal of that day...
June 26th 2008: Just an ordinary day, or so I thought! Much to my surprise, this was no ordinary day. This day was special. I woke up and did my normal routine, like any other normal, ordinary day. Aaron (my boyfriend-22) called at work around 12 and asked what I was doing for the evening. I didn't have anything planned; so he said that he had something that we could do and that he would be picking me up from work. I thought to myself this is unusual but to go with it. So, I was excited and finished out my day. When I got off of work i went outside and there was Aaron. I got in the truck and we headed for the city. I really didn't want to know where we were going, I was just excited to be done with work for the day. He said that we were going on an airplane ride. Normally, red flags would be waiving, but I beleive that God blinded my vision in this situation. It was incredible. We got into that plane and flew out to the country where we live. This is where it gets wild!
I recognized where we were and saw 2 tractors in a feild. I looked down and saw a tractor, but I had missed the huge tilled up land, (letters in black dirt and background of leftover cornstalk) that said, "SARAH, WILL U MARRY ME?!"
  I finally saw it and it was amazing (yes we have pics). I was so excited I forgot that a ring was involved and I actually hit it out of his hand. Oops!
   All in all it was great and we were married on August 6th 2009 on our 8 year anniversary as being a couple. We are now expecting our first child at the end of August and God has truly blessed our lives! We are so thankful! : )

3/22/2010 4:05:52 AM
Abby United States
Abby
My husband proposed to me on my lunch hour on March 23, 2003.  It wasn't a huge production at all.  The thing was though, I was having a really bad day.  I'm pretty sure I had already cried that day.  He surprised me by just showing up for lunch.  He had a dozen red roses behind his back.  When he gave those to me I started crying AGAIN lol.  I thought it was just so thoughful of him to bring me roses for no reason Smile.  Then he got down on one knee, pulled the ring box out of his jeans pocket, opened it and asked me to marry him.  Well shoot, by that time I was crying so much he couldn't even hear my "YES!!"  He got up kind of puzzled and I hugged him, still crying.  He had to ask me if I had said yes lol.  "Of course I did!"
A funny side note is that I'm a dental assistant and he was scheduled to have all four of his wisdom teeth taken out that afternoon lol.  So he did it before he couldn't talk for the rest of the day Smile.
He made my day that day.