Jul 24 2014

Internet Helps Fulfill MH17 Victim's Wish, Kayaker's Close Encounter With Whale, & 4 Ways To Teach Kindness

Purged By ISIS, Iraq's Christians Appeal To World For Help

Giraffe Escapes From Circus In Mexico

In Other News:

Internet Helps Fulfill MH17 Victim's Wish To Help Kids In Need

The Happiest and Unhappiest Cities In America May Surprise You

She Faced Death In Sudan For Her Christian Faith. Now She's Free.

Coming Soon: A Fitness Tracker That Zaps You When You Slack Off

Kayakers In Argentina Filmed Breathtaking Encounter With Whale

Even Royals Do It! Queen Elizabeth Photobombs Athletes

Why People in Louisiana Are So Happy

Play Nice: 4 Ways To Teach Kindness

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (0) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

Country flag

biuquote
  • Preview

Nicholas Sparks is our guest today!
Apr 01 2010

Nicholas Sparks is our guest today!

Welcome Nicholas Sparks to the show today! He's best known for "A Walk to Remember," and "The Notebook." His current movie, starring Miley Cyrus, "The Last Song," is in theaters now. Any comments or questions for him?

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (33) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

3/25/2010 5:31:00 PM
Rose United States
Rose
Do you have any advice for my daughter who graduates in May with a degree in Creative Writing? What has your career path been like?
3/25/2010 5:34:26 PM
Erika United States
Erika
How did you come up with the story line for the 'Last Song'? (I saw it today in the movie theater it was wonderful! I cried!)
3/25/2010 5:34:39 PM
Barbara United States
Barbara
Can you please ask Nicholas Sparks if there will ever be a movie on "A Bend in the Road?"
3/25/2010 5:37:43 PM
Lupita Carrasco United States
Lupita Carrasco
your guest today. Nicholas Sparks needs to speak life, success, happiness, "can do", into his own life. OUr own words are so powerful. I heard him speak today, and it was all negative towards himself. God has fearfully created us to be victors, not victims!

3/25/2010 5:38:07 PM
Jami Bourdo United States
Jami Bourdo
I'm a huge fan of Nicholas Sparks books.  I just finished The Last Song---it's one of my favorites!  Many of his books weave in a Christian/biblical view into the storyline. Has he ever had any positive responses or fan letters where he has changed lives for Christ through the books?
3/25/2010 5:38:11 PM
Charlotte United States
Charlotte
How did Nicholas Sparks get started in writing?
3/25/2010 5:38:14 PM
Audra United States
Audra
I just finished the book a week ago.  I cried so hard! I lost my mom to pancreatic cancer in April of 2005 and my dad to lung cancer in September of 2006.  While reading the book it played like a movie in my head, I could picture going through my life during those times and it was so real.  I love reading all of your books you are an amaizing writer! Thank you for keeping them coming!!!
3/25/2010 5:38:31 PM
Cindi United States
Cindi
Don't forget "Dear John"! Amazing movie Smile I still think "Bend in the Road" and "The Rescue" need to be made into movies. Nicholas is by far my favorite author! His love stories are the kind that single girls like me dream of. Thanks!
3/25/2010 5:38:42 PM
Dave United States
Dave
I really enjoyed the Notebook.  I have been looking for a love like those two shared, and I have found it with my future wife.  My only disappointment with the movie is that it didn't end like the book.  Thank you so much Mr. Sparks for giving us inspiration.

Dave
3/25/2010 5:39:11 PM
Destiny United States
Destiny
I love your stories! Have you ever based a book or movie on yourself?
3/25/2010 5:40:48 PM
Bobbie United States
Bobbie
What advice would you give someone that is just starting out writing and how to go about publishing a book?  I love your work.  Your stories have certainly touched my heart and I thank you for that.
3/25/2010 5:41:58 PM
Erin United States
Erin
   I got a laugh out of hearing how you like "having written" but don't like the actual writing...  If that's the criterion for success, then I should be a physicist!  I like "having mastered" the equations and what they mean, but I don't really like learning it... it's almost painful, but with the right teachers I do really well.
   So, believe it or not, I gave up physics to be a writer!  I'm halfway through my first sci-fi novel.
   God bless you!
3/25/2010 5:42:15 PM
Destiny United States
Destiny
I love your books! I always cry! Have you ever based a book or movie on yourself?
3/25/2010 5:44:16 PM
Sydney United States
Sydney
I have been reading all your books since i was 13 you have been my favorite author since i read "The Rescue" thankyou so much for all the inspiration you have given through your nooks, i am now reading the lat song and i love it Smile Thankyou!!!! God has worked many ways in my life through your stories Smile God Bless!!!! Smile
3/25/2010 5:50:53 PM
Jennie Klotz United States
Jennie Klotz
I haven't seen ure movies or read ure books but a ton of my friends have and I cannot wait to start A Walk to remember!!! Please tell Nicholas that he has made a difference in the lives of 16 year old high school girls!!!!
3/25/2010 5:52:06 PM
Miss.Gutierrez United States
Miss.Gutierrez
I just read The Last Song, I just finished today, I LOVE IT! I couldn't crying from reading the end.Thank you. SmileI love the way you tie in God, into the bigger picture. You have new fan today. Smile Have blessed day.
3/25/2010 5:54:42 PM
Amy United States
Amy
I love all of your books that I have read so far.  I would have to agree with some of the other comments that I think the Rescue and other books that haven't become movies would be great.  You are a great author.  I just finished reading Dear John and I need to read Love Story.  Keep them coming and God Bless Smile
3/25/2010 5:57:14 PM
Emily United States
Emily
I just want to thank Mr. Sparks for sharing his talent with us.  I LOVE all your books and they always allow me to slip away into a different world.  In my young life I have had many struggles so far and I am able to relate to a lot of the characters and their stories.  You have inspired me to keep my dreams strong.  Thank you.
3/25/2010 5:58:36 PM
Nora Heres United States
Nora Heres
I have enjoyed 3 books so far and look forward to reading all of the others you have written!  I read during breaks and lunch at work.  Thank you for sharing you talent!
3/25/2010 5:59:18 PM
Heather United States
Heather
As a young author trying to become published, I know how hard it is. I wondered how many rejections did you have before someone recognized your talent, and how did you deal with it?
3/25/2010 6:04:43 PM
Lucy Helmer United States
Lucy Helmer
I just have to get this in...I am a huge Nicholas Sparks fan. The first book I read was "A Bend in The Road." After that I have read all I could get my hands on. From one NC native to another, you're an awesome writer and huge inspiration. Thank you for the beautiful stories. I have watched The Notebook more times than i can count and A Night in Rodant.
3/25/2010 6:04:43 PM
Pam United States
Pam
I watched the movie, "The Last Song" with my daughter yesterday.  I had no idea that the plot would be so personal for me.  My dad was a composer as well, and I am a music teacher.  Three years ago, my dad died of pulmonary fibrosis.  He was so much like Ronnie's dad, it was almost scary.  I loved the scene when Ronnie played the piano at his funeral and she looked at the light coming through the window and said, "Hi Daddy."  I have had so many times that I have felt my dad with me in my music and when I teach kids about music.  Thanks for the great book/movie.  Lots of tears were shed, but tears of healing.
3/25/2010 6:06:17 PM
Mandy United States
Mandy
I love all of the Nicolas Sparks movies they always make me cry!! I've always wondered where he comes up with the storys that are always so heart warming!!
3/25/2010 6:07:37 PM
Yankeebrat United States
Yankeebrat
Love your books Nicholas, keep up the good work.  I am so looking forward to reading LAST SONG.  You make reading enjoyable to me - YOU got me hooked on reading and I want to THANK YOU for doing so.

THANKS,
P.S....and thanks for autographing one of my books in Charlotte, NC!!!
3/25/2010 6:07:48 PM
Susi Reaves United States
Susi Reaves
I listened to The Wedding on CDs given me by a friend.  I was pretty sure after listening to it that Nicolas was a believer because the main character in that story tells briefly about the change in his life when he committed his life to Christ.  How special it is when believers given the platform from which to speak do so.
3/25/2010 6:09:47 PM
Monica United States
Monica
Hi Nicholas! I myself am a writer (fledgling) and I LOVE the writing process!
I enjoy your work- thanks for enduring
3/25/2010 6:14:15 PM
Lucy01 United States
Lucy01
3/25/2010 6:20:25 PM
Holly United States
Holly
“Nicholas Sparks is one of my all-time favorite authors!  I started reading his books at least 9 or 10 years ago, beginning with “The Notebook” (not sure when it was first published).  What an amazing story with such real characters.  That book hooked me and I have bought and read every single book since then (and of course cried MANY times!).  And for those of you who have only seen the movies, I have this to say.  The movies are good, of course, but the books are ALWAYS better!!  Thanks, Mr. Sparks, for your wonderful stories with real characters who I laugh and cry with and get to “be friends” with for the short time that they are in my life.  And I have the type of memory where I forget details and even main story points sometimes, so I get to have the pleasure of experiencing your books “for the first time” over and over and over!”
3/25/2010 6:25:24 PM
RuthHelen United States
RuthHelen
I have always been a huge fan from Nebraska! My students would love reading "A Walk to Remember", I have always loved "The Wedding", and I just finished "Dear John" on my last vacation. What beautiful love stories! Nicholas is a wonderful writer.

When I read his books, I am walking through the small towns in North Carolina along with the characters. His books have inspired me to visit a part of the country that I knew nothing about. My future husband is taking me to North Carolina and the Outer Banks region for our honeymoon. This dream was all inspired by Sparks books. I want to see in person this beautiful state that he writes about with such passion. We hope to visit New Bern as well.

I am also a runner and posted the article on the board at school that showed the stadium that Sparks built for his local school (Runners World). That inspires the students too. They saw that Sparks has interests that they share and could relate.

I think that Nicholas Sparks is a really good Christian example for our young adults.

Thanks, Nicholas for all you do and inspiring me to visit NC.
3/25/2010 7:09:58 PM
Emily United States
Emily
hi Nicholas! i really love one of the books you wrote! (I've only read one so far!)i read The Last Song! I almost cried (couldn't cry was at school!) but loved the very very last ending!(with will!) and now I'm reading Dear John when i saw the movie i cried from the first time they left each other until the end! Haha no joke! and then I'm going to read the Notebook! that seems really interesting my best friend is reading it right now and she absolutely loves it but she recommends to see the movie first so i understand it more but i don't know if i should do that or not! I'm still deciding! I'm worried to go to The Last Song because i will cry sooo hard through the whole thing because I know what is going on the whole summer! But i know its a great ending! By the way Im a teenager so sorry if you dont understand some of the ways I am saying things! haha! Anyway I am a writer too! Well I suppose you could call it that. I love to write and I dont know what I would do without it, its sooooo much fun. I dont share mine though. Never ever ever. Except one time my little sister stole it when I wasnt around. Which is almost expected because I have so many restrictions to not looking in there. I dont even want to tell you who is a professional! So thanks for reading my comment, it was really cool that I could do this! And its really awesome how you are a Christian I think! (sorry, very sorry if I am wrong but i inferred that because you were on K-Love) Most people that I admire(like celebrity and famous people like you) aren't church-people. So I admire you for that! Thanks again for reading my post!
         Please Keep Writing And I Will Too,
                       Emily
3/26/2010 1:04:14 PM
Jennifer United States
Jennifer
Nicolas Sparks...you are an amazing & talented writer! Your books make me feel like I'm there in the story line! As many others have said it's like a fairy tale for a single girl to read & dream that this story will happen to us!
Thanks for writing these amazing stories & please continue! I've finished 2 of your books onto the 3! (I've read "Dear John" & "The Last Song" & I'm reading "The Last One" right now!)

Thanks again!

May God Bless you in your journey!

Please write a story in AZ!!! Smile
3/27/2010 2:12:16 PM
Jennifer United States
Jennifer
  I love all your books Nicholas! You are my absolute favorite writer.  I've gotten my husband and daughter hooked as well!  I so enjoy your movies too. I've read every book and plan to see every movie (just hadn't gotten to the Last Song and the other most recent one, maybe this weekend?).

For those who wonder, Nicholas did write a biography and it is wonderful and hysterical!  I still laugh about his descriptions where he and his brother had wounds that were spurting blood with every heart beat, and his mom would say, "Put a band aid on it, it'll be fine!"  I have a great book idea if you ever need inspiration (which I doubt!)

It has to do with finding freedom in Christ through a Breaking Free Bible study, and discovering after 17 years that my continual migraines, depression, anxiety, tmj and exhaustion are because of a sleep disorder and a clenched jaw which God has miraculously delivered me from through spiritually setting me free, and through medication and good doctors.

I would like to write a book myself but you would do such an incredible job! Sleep apnea and periodic limb movement disorder are widespread and hindering a lot fo people's lives, I'm convinced.  You could have a powerful impact for good on a lot of people!

God Bless you Nicholas for the wonderful gift of writing that you share with us.  I look forward to every new book and movie with great anticipation!

God bless you this Easter and always wit his richest blessings!
6/19/2010 4:36:19 PM
cristal United States
cristal
i've read all of the nicholas sparks book and they are amazing ....... how do u become with all these ideas...?