May 12 2010

Mystery Meal!

Kelli made a "mystery meal" for dinner last night. Ever done that? Just grabbed whatever was in your kitchen to make a meal? Did it turn out good? Not so good? Need some help creating a "mystery meal" tonight? Tell us what you've got in your kitchen and we'll try to help!
Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (19) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

5/8/2010 3:33:56 AM
Brenda United States
Brenda
Its called freezer finds at my house. My husband makes one he calls chetti. Its spaghetti noodles with some spaghetti sauce and a can of chili with beans. It was born when he was a batchelor with an empty stomach and not enough of one thing to make a meal. Our grown kids still love it.
5/8/2010 3:40:35 AM
melissa bolland United States
melissa bolland
so i love to make golosh. it's seasoned ground hamburger, elbow noodles and corn, all in one!! this is a fast meal and the best part you can use leftover meat and corn. we make sloppy joe meat and freeze it. then when you need an idea out comes the sloppy joe mix, you can put it in anything!!
5/8/2010 3:45:20 AM
Cheryl United States
Cheryl
When our children were small we made surprise soup.  I kept an ice cream tub in the freezer, in it went leftover meat, vegies, potatoes, pasta, rice,etc.  Anything that would go well in a soup.  When it got fairly full, I would cook it, add seasoning as needed, maybe add cheese or whatever needed to make it taste good.  Sometimes it was wonderful, it was always edible.  Bad thing, it could never be exactly repeated if we really liked it.
5/8/2010 3:46:06 AM
will United States
will
When my wife and I were first married I tried to make brekfast but I didn't have any oil to grease a pan. I remembered that peanut butter is fairly greasy and tried it...needless to say everything tasted like burned peanuts.
5/8/2010 3:46:50 AM
melissa bolland United States
melissa bolland
so we have COTF (clean out the fridge). why make more when you can have what is in the fridge. just pop things in the microwave and walla you have dinner.
5/8/2010 3:51:12 AM
Cal United States
Cal
When my kids were little (6,8,10 I think) my wife was in the hospital for an extended period of time.  I got very good at just throwing a meal together.  One night I made one of my "concoctions", we sat down to eat, took a bite.  I looked at the girls and said "McDonalds?" and they all agreed.
It was SOOOO bad the dog wouldn't even eate it.
5/8/2010 4:33:41 AM
Robin Whitworth United States
Robin Whitworth
I have two, one my husband made and one I made. He use to make chicken surprise. It involved baking a whole chicken with anything he thought would go with the meal. He'd clean the chicken, add onions, veggies of all kinds, liver, heart, anything that didn't move--we think and then cover the surprises with rice and the correct amount of water. The kids weren't happy when I had a school meeting and Dad was cooking.

Now I'll be fair. We got a side of beef and my husband wanted all parts, and I do mean all parts. I was five months pregnant so I knew I wasn't going to be eating this meal of choice. He wanted to try "kidney steak pie." The recipe called for soaking the kidney in milk and rinsing it. This was to be done once, maybe twice. Being that we were talking about the kidney, I soaked longer, rinsed longer, and did each three times! The steak part was great, the kidney part went from great to a tad bit of urine. He told me it was good but I didn't need to make that again!
5/8/2010 4:43:59 AM
Patti United States
Patti
My mystery meal
I had company over and it was close to dinner, so I had to produce something.  So I cut up some bacon, and some onions.  I fried them up, and then found some dry roasted almonds.  So I chopped up a few of them, and added them to the mixture.  I then cooked up some green beans (cut) and added them to the mixture.  So in the frying pan I had bacon, onions, roasted almonds, and green beans.  At that point, I placed the mixture in a baking dish, and added bread crumbs to the top.  Baked in a 350 degree oven for 20 min.  It was really good.  I did have the people ask me to give them the recipe.

Scary part is I dream about different combinations, my friends tell me to write them down and put them in a book called "Dreamy Dishes".

Love KLove and what it stands for - the music, the stories, and the people that work there.

5/8/2010 4:45:39 AM
Teresa Jeche United States
Teresa Jeche
Before my husband and I were married (over 32 happy years ago, praise God for every minute of it), his relatives had a bridal shower for us. A very large group of women came and everyone brought wonderful gifts, but as a joke, they also each brought a can of "something" (all had the labels removed).  As newly marrieds, we ended up with an entire kitchen cabinet of canned foods in different sized cans, but had no idea what any of it was. Every once in awhile, we would have an entire "mystery meal", literally, of whatever we opened!  It was so fun, shaking cans, listening to what sloshed around inside, guessing at what it might be, then being surprised and having to eat it (that was part of the deal---whatever we opened we HAD to eat---we were so poor in those days we didn't dare throw anything out!)  Thankfully, no one gave us anything we really detested, and the whole experience gave us another great opportunity to laugh and have fun at dinnertime.
5/8/2010 5:47:39 AM
Rhonda United States
Rhonda
My husband has "pot luck" soups. Whatever is left over in the fridge...gets a new life in the soup. He's never able to make the same tasting soup twice because he never writes down what he puts in it (besides the basics we can tell is in it). Once he even dumped in a half jar of picante sauce into the soup mix. Out of all the soups he's made, only one I didn't care for. I've told him numerous times to write it down as he goes along but he forgets to.
5/8/2010 5:49:56 AM
Rhonda United States
Rhonda
Here's a cheap, fast meal that was served to us bunch of kids when our school took us to Camp Kern for a couple days (30+ yrs ago) and I've made it ever since. Layer mashed potatoes, cooked ground hamburger (or turkey) and cover with sliced cheese (velveeta's best). Melt the cheese & you're done!
5/8/2010 12:20:08 PM
Olimpia United States
Olimpia
When my kids were little his father had to cook sometimes because I worked allot of hours,and when I got home he gave me my portion,I have to confess I never liked it; he used to throw whatever meat and vegetables that he find in the fridge fried then he added eggs,it was a kind of omelette or egg tortilla but my kids liked.
5/9/2010 4:29:17 AM
Angela United States
Angela
For some reason my mother always has chicken in the freezer so for nights that we don't know what to have or nights where mom has to go food shopping the next day to restock the kitchen I would cook up some chicken, melt it in some salt, Garlic, and water clean it such as get ride of the bones and fat, throw in some chicken stock, Italian Dressing the whole bottle, and some veggies, carrots, corn and even green beans into the slow cooker and leave for work. Come home and it smells good and everyone loves it!!
5/9/2010 1:49:43 PM
rebekah United States
rebekah
when i have a mystal meal we usual have chicken or left overs
5/9/2010 1:50:32 PM
rebekah United States
rebekah
when we have it i do not usualy eat or we ahve it when the day is basy
5/10/2010 7:11:11 PM
Diane United States
Diane
One of the best mystery meals I've ever had was leftover spaghetti with some fresh pepperoni throw in and baked in a casserole dish with cheddar and mozzarella cheese melted on top. The pepperoni sure "pepped" up the spaghetti.

You could probably throw some bacon or sausage in there instead of the pepperoni.
5/11/2010 2:09:25 PM
Alicia Medrano United States
Alicia Medrano
Well my mystery meal was with beef skirt and i cooked it with bacon, bologna, green dry jalapenos, tomato, and onion. with some beans and rice on the side it came out just great. the only seasoning was salt.
5/12/2010 2:43:47 PM
Capella United States
Capella
"don't know 'till it's put in the hands
and stays in the spirit"
5/12/2010 3:43:21 PM
Melodee Clarke United States
Melodee Clarke
Years ago my in-laws had invited my family to dinner. As we walked in, I noticed my bother-in-law and his family were there as well. I offered to pitch in and help make dinner. To my surprise, nothing was planned for dinner. Soon we were hearing that it was the end of the month, so there was nothing to eat in the kitchen. My husband took me aside and told me his mom asked him to take everyone out for dinner. Well because it was the end of the month, we excepted their dinner invitation. I jumped up and told everyone I would make a magic dinner...Rock Soup. I told my sister-in-law what kind of rock to look for. Then sent the children out on a scavenger hunt. The list was 3 white, 3 red and 3 green vegetables. Then I picked the roast beef out of my Father-in-laws sandwich. After scrubbing the rock,I placed it in a large pot of water. As the vegetables came in, we peeled and chopped them, then placed them in the pot. I added the meat, ans spices, and let it simmer. My Rock Soup fed the whole group and I received Kudos for months.