May 25 2010

What's the best advice you ever got?

It's graduation season. Any words of wisdom for recent graduates? What was the best bit of advice you ever got when you were young?

Here is Scott's encouraging letter to a listener's teenage son: Some of my fondest memories were growing up in my teenage years, and grow up you will. Now is one of those seasons in your life where the choices you make will be choices that mold and shape who you are and what you do for years to come. I pray that God's Holy Spirit will lead you to make the right decisions in every area of your life. Remember that God promises that He will never leave you or forsake you! Remember that Jesus is a friend that sticks closer than a brother. One of my favorite verses ever is Jeremiah 29:11-14...in The Message version of the Bible it says this: "I know what I am doing. I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for. When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I'll listen. When you come looking for me, you'll find me. Yes, when you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I'll make sure you won't be disappointed, God's decree. I'll turn things around for you. I'll bring you back from all the countries into which I drove you - God's Decree - bring you home to the place from which I sent you off into exile. You can count it."
Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (65) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

5/14/2010 8:40:26 AM
Jamie Martin United States
Jamie Martin
Their is so much advice that I'd love to give but the best advice I received growing up was treat your credit like it's your baby. Always pay on time and in full. If you can't pay for it in full don't get it.
5/14/2010 8:40:28 AM
Zach United States
Zach
When I was younger, a friend of mine shared with me something his sister had told him: "Don't give up what you most want, for what you most want now." Meaning, have the patience and foresight to make the choices that will lead to what we most want, eternal life with God, rather than what we most want at any given moment.
5/14/2010 8:40:59 AM
Heather United States
Heather
Best piece of advice was "Lefty Loosey, Righty Tighty"  I can't tell you how many times I've ran that through my head when trying to remember which direction to twist in order to open a jar or loosen hoses, etc.  Not profound, but very practical.
5/14/2010 8:42:27 AM
Mark Loveless United States
Mark Loveless
Best advice from my grandfather growing up:
People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care.

Mark Loveless
Noblesville, Indiana
5/14/2010 8:43:35 AM
Rene Daniel United States
Rene Daniel
The best advice I ever got was from my dad.  He always told me to remember:  "Actions ALWAYS speak louder than words do!!"  I live by that.
5/14/2010 8:44:19 AM
Danielle United States
Danielle
Cherish these moments. You spend your whole life anticipating that day, once it's gone you would give the world to be ten again. Just be thankful for the time you're in. Don't rush growing up- it will always be there.

-Danielle class of 06
5/14/2010 8:45:55 AM
Justin United States
Justin
You'll experience lots of love in your life.  Love in romance, love in friendship; but real true love is not just an emotion, its action!
5/14/2010 8:47:06 AM
Jessica Hinton United States
Jessica Hinton
Remember who you are.
5/14/2010 8:48:12 AM
Misty United States
Misty
Battling through a particularly difficult time in my life, my 13 year old daughter looked at me one morning and said "Just keep swimming, mom".  Such a simple comment, but it made a huge impact.  I wrote it down and have it in my office as well as in my car to remind me that no matter what happens, don't ever stop trying!
5/14/2010 8:48:28 AM
Jessica Hinton United States
Jessica Hinton
Remember who you are.
5/14/2010 8:48:34 AM
Melissa United States
Melissa
Don't wish your life away! I wish I listened to all the wise adults that told me that! Smile
5/14/2010 8:48:52 AM
Hadli Shain United States
Hadli Shain
I just wanted to tell you thank you for all your station has done for me in the last several months.  Just within the last couple months I have gone through a really hard breakup, and it has hurt me terribly. I felt hopeless and that God had turned his back on me.  But listening to KLOVE has always given me that hope that God is always there and that he does in fact have a plan for me.  I needed encouragement today after a long day at work, and I couldnt have turned on KLOVE at a better time.  Scott talking about writing a letter to that teenage boy touched me so much. Jeremiah 29:11 has always been my favorite scripture, but I never really took it into meaning for myself.  Scott explained it in such a remarkable way it touched me.  Thank you for everything you do as a station reaching not only the lost, but us christians also that need encouragement.  God Bless you so much.
5/14/2010 8:50:35 AM
Vanessa United States
Vanessa
When I was about 17 my dad told me, 'The only investment in life that truely matters are people.' I work a job now that brings about 1000 people a month to me face to face. They always ask me what it feels like to love my job and I can tell them it's more than a job, it's a purpose in the bigger scheme
of life, God's scheme. You never know if you're the only ray of light in someone's day. 'My Life is People'
5/14/2010 8:52:11 AM
Jeff United States
Jeff
I had been in prison for a yeae back in 1991, I had been born-again about six months.
I had a christian friend who also worked with the chaplain.
I knew I could trust his advice because when he went for sentencing years before I met him, he told the judge everything he had done so he could have a clear conscience.
Now we are both pastors.
Anyhow, we were working for a born-again nun who still struggled with a lot of theological issues.
She and I had been in a heated discussion.
When my friend came into where we stayed after I had finished teaching in the Literacy Classroom, he asked me what had jappened and I told him in a very aggravated tone.
He said. "Is what she said true?"
I thought for a moment and said, "No".
He asked, "Is it going to matter in a week?"
No, I replied, and he kepy decreasing the time with the same question until he was down to five minutes from now, and by that time, the freedom God was giving to me through him was becoming evident.
He said, "So if it is not true, be confident in who God knows you are, leave it at the cross and walk away."
5/14/2010 8:52:17 AM
Jackie United States
Jackie
The best advice I ever got was from an elderly lady at my church.  I was at a couples retreat and some of the women were really having problems with their husbands. When this woman said she never understood divorce because all men are the same God just gave them different faces so you would know which one was yours.  How true it is !
5/14/2010 8:54:20 AM
Michael Falcon United States
Michael Falcon
When I graduated from High School (1978) I was not a Christain and did not live in a Christain enviroment. All the advice I got was worldly, example:
Be careful I'm not ready to be a Grandma yet.
Don't bring any erotic diseases back.

My advice is to maintain your relationship with GOD because the BIBLE is not advice, it is LIFE.
5/14/2010 8:54:25 AM
Jeff United States
Jeff
One more recent one.
I was at a men's conference last month and listening to a brother who mentors men.
He said that men who are leaders take and put one arm around a man who needs help, and with the other hand they grab the hem of the Lord's garment and draw the two together.
I love that!
5/14/2010 8:57:20 AM
Jaime Smith United States
Jaime Smith
My mom always used to tell me and my sisters not to get married until we finish college. It used to annoy me, but wouldn't you know I met my husband that very last year of college! Currently I'm a stay-at-home mom, and I'm not using my English degree, but I am glad I at least accomplished something. I hope to use it eventually, but for now being home with my baby is super-fun!
5/14/2010 8:57:27 AM
Randy Stewart United States
Randy Stewart
as a child my dad would give me querks while out fishing and the one that stuck didnt make since as a child but now its a motto. if you play in a chicken pen your going to smell like chickens.I now see it as you become who you hang around
5/14/2010 8:58:59 AM
Stephen Cozad United States
Stephen Cozad
If You buy something "ON SALE" with a Credit Card, and you Don't pay it off at the end of the month. The INTEREST charges you pay will make the Sale nule and void. Infact you will pay more for the item than you would have for it at Regular Price. Think About it. I say Credit Cards are Evil. I love K-Love.
5/14/2010 9:00:29 AM
Kathy Logan United States
Kathy Logan
The best advice I ever got came from the pulpit - The pastor said "if everywhere you go stinks, it's time to look at your own shoe."
5/14/2010 9:04:07 AM
pete United States
pete
As a 30 yr old working in a job that's not my dream, I've been giving this advice to all the grad's I talk to- Take time, sit down, alone, away from all distractions (family, tv, phone ect) and spend 1-3 hours writing and thinking about what you're good at and what you love doing. What is the best thing about you and what do you love doing? Do you love clowning around and acting? Do you love hunting, Do you love Math, Do you love teaching, Do you like working alone, or are you very social. Find out what you love and what your gifts are- then find out how to get paid to do that! Hunting/Fishing? Then find a way to make a living doing that. Public Speaking? Leading people? Then find a career that gives you that opportunity.
So many of us are not doing what we were made by God to do. Identify what gifts he created you with, and "work" will never be dull!!!
5/14/2010 9:04:16 AM
Lisa Burgess United States
Lisa Burgess
I was always told that you cant always learn from someone elses mistakes.. so be careful. and that is so true. its hard but true and if you stay faithful to god he will bring you through any trials you may go through.
5/14/2010 9:04:35 AM
Ellie Oreta United States
Ellie Oreta
The best advice I ever got growing up came from my dad. While I was sitting beside him at his sick bed, he told me that behind every dark clouds, there is a silver lining. To this day I remember vividly how he said it, what a beautiful day it was, and how clear the skies were when he instilled in me those words of wisdom. Ever since then, I face whatever challenges with a positive attitude, waiting for my silver lining to shine through beyond the dark clouds.
5/14/2010 9:05:05 AM
Mark DeHaan United States
Mark DeHaan
Some great stuff, esp liked Scott's personal writing/insights.

I didn't get this advice at graduation, but much later. Was driving home from work when I first heard this song and I almost had to stop 'cause I was weeping so much. Please play Geoff Moore's song - "When All Is Said And Done" and see if it doesn't get you too.
5/14/2010 9:07:19 AM
Dana Sierra United States
Dana Sierra
Some of the best advice I have ever received was..."something positive comes out of everything negative; so embrace all the bad in your life because you never know they might turn in to the best things in your life."
My parents moved me from NY down to FL when I was 15. I was mad at the world and hated them for taking me away from my home. Now 10 years later I thank God everyday for that move because it made me who I am today.  I would not change a thing.
5/14/2010 9:09:13 AM
Joanie Dunn United States
Joanie Dunn
The best advise I ever got was from My Pastor James Bliss.  He told me to remember everyday the reason I fell in love with my husband and to make the choice to do it again and again every day.  Love is a choice and not a feeling, make that choice.
5/14/2010 9:09:37 AM
Lyuda K United States
Lyuda K
An advice that i heard not only from my teachers but from many others, was to get yourself into "good and positive group of friends" at school. i came to realize that when i started high school, and several kids were dropping out, good friends that i had as a child started using drugs, others skipping school.
5/14/2010 9:09:47 AM
Randi Rouse United States
Randi Rouse
I'm from a small town named Cotton Valley, LA.  My Papaw Graham always taught me to give 10% to my tithes and 10% save for a rainy day.  I'm just now starting to do that, and it really does make a difference.
5/14/2010 9:10:44 AM
Cliff Farley United States
Cliff Farley
Luck is where preparation and opportunity meet.
5/14/2010 9:11:13 AM
Kathy Lacina United States
Kathy Lacina
Don't be what you isn't.
Just be what you is.
Cuz if you is what you isn't,
Then you isn't what you is!

My Grandma wrote that in my memory book...in other words...be who God created you to be.  : )
5/14/2010 9:12:07 AM
Steven Eggert United States
Steven Eggert
GO BIG.....OR GO HOME!!
God bless!
-Steven
5/14/2010 9:12:20 AM
Kelly United States
Kelly
My grandmother said, No one is better than you and you are better than no one. I would also say that God gave you family and friends to help you keep from making all the mistakes yourself. Learn from their mistakes as well as yours. Also the person who can hurt your feelings the most is yourself. As soon as you believe negatively about yourself you will realize that you hurt yourself more than any other person in this world. Continue to count your blessings and remind yourself you your qualities.
5/14/2010 9:12:41 AM
Tonya Rudd United States
Tonya Rudd
My mother told me a thousand times, "Two wrongs, don't make a right".  This is very true.  Just because someone wrongs you, doesn't mean you should do something wrong to them - it doesn't make it ok. It's doesn't make it right.
5/14/2010 9:12:51 AM
Harlan Hester United States
Harlan Hester
My son, keep your father's commands, and don't forget your mother's teaching. Keep their words in mind forever as though you had them tied around your neck. They will guide you when you walk. They will guard you when you sleep. They will speak to you when you are awake. These commands are like a lamp; this teaching is like a light . And the correction that comes from them will help you have life.

Proverbs 6:20-23
5/14/2010 9:13:15 AM
Tammy United States
Tammy
I wish someone had given me this advice, instead it is the best advice I have ever heard. My husband told our daughters they could work hard now (by going to college) and have it easy for the rest of their lives. Or they could take it easy now (not go to college) and work hard for the rest of their lives. I am happy to say they are both in college!
5/14/2010 9:14:46 AM
Carol Allen United States
Carol Allen
My Mom told me always give myself time to fall down when crossing a street.  I fell once crossing the base of an overpass - and I was glad I had time to fall down.  I carry that into my driving - I give myself time to stall.  I've found it to be valuable advice I've thought of often.
5/14/2010 9:16:12 AM
Bill Willard United States
Bill Willard
the advice i can give is from the lion king. rafiki tells simba it does not matter about the past, you have 2 options you can run from it or learn from it
5/14/2010 9:17:29 AM
Cheryl Fisher United States
Cheryl Fisher
Excluding your home and vehicle, always have enough money to buy 2 of whatever you want 1 of. This deters impulse buying and always assures you have money left over for necessary items.  By the time you have enough to buy 2 of something a lot of times you don't want the 1 thing you thought you did.
5/14/2010 9:19:19 AM
Lisa Margaron United States
Lisa Margaron
My freshman year at Bible college, a "Golden Grad" (some who had graduated more than 50 years before) gave me the advice that governed my college years.  He said, "don't let school work get in the way of your college life."
5/14/2010 9:24:57 AM
candy warren United States
candy warren
The best advice I have been given was actually a quote..."What the caterpillar  calls the end, the Master calls a butterfly".  I always keep this in the back of my head.  There are times when I feel like that caterpillar and think that I can't go on.  But, I just hang tight, cocoon myself in God's love, and know that I will come out of the situation soaring!
5/14/2010 9:29:12 AM
annie United States
annie
some of the best advice I got was from my pastor. He wrote in my senior yearbook, "ann, always be like a duck. Cool and calm on the surface, and paddling like the dickens underneath."
5/14/2010 9:29:14 AM
Mindi Young United States
Mindi Young
A woman I used to go to church with told me that when she was in college she worked really hard every summer to pay off the previous school year's student loans.  Unfortunately, she this conversation didn't happen until after I was out of college, and I had already done it the hard way.  Now I have tons of debt.  Concerts and theme parks can wait until after college; debt sticks with you for the rest of your life.
5/14/2010 9:31:23 AM
Myra United States
Myra
I have two great items of advice that my dad always told me and I have passed them on to my children and hopefully they will pass then on to their children as well.
1. Remember WHOSE you are. You belong to God, you were bought and paid for with the highest possible price. Never do anything that would cause Him shame.

2. If in doubt, don't!

I don't have dad with me on earth anymore, but these two pieces of advice live on.
5/14/2010 9:43:48 AM
calli cremeans United States
calli cremeans
thats hard because all kinds of good advice from robin lawhun...but the best advice would probly have 2 be either give it 2 god & he will take care of you or wwjd....what would jesus do
5/14/2010 9:47:36 AM
Kayla Wiltrout United States
Kayla Wiltrout
Never forget that you are always loved both by God and friends and family.
5/14/2010 9:49:09 AM
Pamela United States
Pamela
The best advice my Mom gave me.  I am 64 years old and back when I was growing up, parents were more strict on their children.  And, my Mom was a Minister's daughter.  She gave me a lot of advice, but the one that sticks in my mind the most for all my 64 years is  1)  Don't do anything that Jesus wouldn't do   2) Don't say anything that Jesus wouldn't say  and  3) Don't go anywhere that Jesus wouldn't go.  That has followed me all these years and I still go by it after all these years.  Very much helps me to make decisions regarding just about everything.  God bless you all for broadcasting God to this extremely troubled world!  Pam
5/14/2010 9:53:35 AM
Michelle Kelley Jenkins United States
Michelle Kelley Jenkins
Please post Scott's advice to Michael, as I would love to share with my preteen. Thank you!

Best Advice: Have Faith in all things.
5/14/2010 10:14:00 AM
Debbie Merys United States
Debbie Merys
I think it was Scott who wrote that beautiful note to the teenager who was graduating. Is there anyway I can get a copy of what he wrote? I would love to pass it along to my Granddaughter.
  I listen to klove everyday in my car. I don't know how I ever got along without it. I think it was before Christmas, I called in to make a pledge of 20.00 a mo. Every month I would tell myself, "I need to send klove a pledge." and every month I would not do it. Then before I knew it, I was saying,"well, now I owe 100.00, 100.20," and so on. Then about a couple of weeks ago I thought, "You can't pay now what you owe klove, but you can start now and pay 20.00 a month, and if you get extra money, you could give more. So when I get payed Friday I will send you 20.00. Please forgive me for not sending in the past, and pray to God I can keep giving and not put it off like I had done for all those months.
             Debbie Merys

5/14/2010 4:16:51 PM
amy O'Shields United States
amy O'Shields
As a person who is getting ready to go back to school to get a Masters in Counseling Psychology I wish someone had come along side me when I was younger and told me how important getting good grades in High school would affect your future education.  My advice for the little one is to try your hardest to focus on School while having fun so that he may be better prepared when the time comes to use that information to further his education.  He will never regret it!!!
"The more you know, the less you will need in life “God bless his present and his future (but with a mom like he has, I don't think he will have any problem becoming a Godly man.
5/14/2010 4:33:47 PM
Cat United States
Cat
I can still recall as a little girl my father saying to us: "Monkey see...Monkey do...Monkey get in trouble too!" Now I tell my own children that!!
5/14/2010 4:34:48 PM
Ray Wister United States
Ray Wister
Advice My dad gave me as a teen,I didnt take it very seriously back then but regret now!! stay sexually pure, keep your lust in check.
5/14/2010 4:38:19 PM
Dezirae Kolmerten United States
Dezirae Kolmerten
My Mom always tells me,  "you teach people how to treat you" I have found this to be true time and time again, so I try to teach them well Smile
5/14/2010 4:50:18 PM
Janelle United States
Janelle
Make your parents your best friends at a young age! It's so worth it!
5/14/2010 5:04:30 PM
Jennifer Schnell United States
Jennifer Schnell
I was blessed with absolutely wonderful parents.  There are so many things that I learned from them.  But, the thing that I think really stuck with me was something my mom told me on a number of occasions.  Whenever I was feeling really bad about myself and get down on myself, my mom would tell me that the only person that you have with for your entire life is you.  She would say that you have to find a way to love yourself.  God made you and He doesn't make mistakes.  She would then say that a lifetime is a really long time to have to live with someone you don't like.  It took me a long time to really internalize those words, but it was probably the best advice I evr got because I now am able to be comfortable with me.

Dad taught me to enjoy life, have fun and love your neighbor.

We lost my Dad(56) to lung cancer 13 years ago (only one year before the first grandchildren were born, my twin boys).  My mom quietly and gracefully succombed to ovarian cancer October 2, 2009 just after her 70th birthday.  Now that they are gone, it is up to my siblings and I to make certain that their teachings live on in our children and their children.

I miss them terribly.  But, as I learned a few weeks ago when you had Third Avenue North on, "It's not about me."

God Bless You all!
5/14/2010 11:12:40 PM
Chris United States
Chris
My grandmother used to tell me, "A woman's best asset is a man's imagination."  She occasionally followed it up by specifically pointing out, "Never show them too much..."
I have shared this advice with my teenage daughter and her friends,
and TRUST ME the further I get into my 40's  the truer I know it is!

A friend told me only to buy the plants from the K-Mart parking lot...because, if they can survive there, they can survive ANYWHERE...and by "anywhere", she meant, she meant our gardens!
5/14/2010 11:16:22 PM
Maricruz United States
Maricruz
All i would say is have faith in God because God makes wonderful things happen. and to have a close relationship with God. My sister just graduated and i wish her the best.
5/14/2010 11:48:08 PM
Gloria United States
Gloria
I graduate next Friday from High School. The bible study I was a part of just ended. But the best advice my sisters and brothers in Christ gave me, is even though high school is ending, my relationship in Christ never ends. It gives me a sense of hope. -Shout out to Southwest's SOS in San Antonio!
5/15/2010 1:54:30 AM
Micahel United States
Micahel
This is for Tanya and Michael. My name is Michael and my daughter's third birthday is today also. This would be my advice for you both: John 10:27- "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow Me." Often as God's child we doubt our capability to hear the "voice" of God. Simply put, it is the inclination placed on our conscience by the Holy Spirit to discearn right from wrong based on biblical truth. Jesus said His sheep DO hear His voice. This is not a question, nor a contract clause based on performance (our efforts toward perfection). It is a statement that says, "I give you my Word. I give you unlimited access to Me and My Father. How are you going to respond to what I AM SAYING TO YOU RIGHT NOW." He is always saying something to His children because... He alone is the ever faithful Father, we listen by being in tune with His Word and Prayer.
5/15/2010 3:14:22 PM
Amber United States
Amber
When I was young I had a habit of hanging out with people who were not good influences.  No matter how hard my mom tried to tell me not to.  My thinking was I would be a good influence on them and not the other way around.
The best advice she told me was concerning this. "When you wear white gloves and play in the mud, the gloves get muddy. The mud does not get glovey."
5/17/2010 3:00:18 PM
Kathleen United States
Kathleen
This advice was passed on to me by one of my very dear Christian brothers while I was in college: "Never date anyone you wouldn't marry."
When I look back on my dating years, I realize now that there were a lot of men I should have never had that second date with.  You pretty much know by the second, and sometimes even the first date, if that person has the Christian qualities you are looking for. If they don't, move on.  God is preparing someone just for you.  Have faith and wait on Him.
6/15/2010 7:16:10 AM
mason United States
mason
The best advice I recieved was when I was arround 6 or 7. My pastor called all of the little children to go to the back of the church. Well they had an adult for everyone of us and I just so happend to get a person I knew.  He was a very elderly man and he told me about Jesus and the life that he gave.  I was in baseball at the time so he related Jesus to it. He said "In life you'll hit some grounders, pop flies and mabey one to the fence but when you give your life to Jesus it'll be a home run every time your at the plate."  Sadly those are the last words I remember him saying to me because about a year later he passed away due to cancer.  Though I didn't accept Christ until a year later that is the best advice anyone could hear.
7/10/2010 6:23:30 AM
Michelle United States
Michelle
If there is something that is bothering you do one of two things,  actually do something about it to remedy the problem or stop complaining it about it and move on.  It may sounds harsh but it made me stronger in some areas and it helped me realize that some things really are not a big deal.
10/5/2010 3:57:25 PM
christy United States
christy
When you are out, never miss a chance to use the restroom. Smile, say please and thank you. Share your toys.
Wash your hands.
Be generous with your family and friends and lavish with your praise for our Lord.
Pray constantly.
11/13/2010 5:46:11 AM
shahbaz Islamic Republic of Pakistan
shahbaz
Design and function are everything when it comes to online traffic and sales. If your site is lacking in any way, you are probably losing potential sales. According to recent research; customers will decide in just 7 seconds whether or not to stay on your site once they get there! This doesn’t leave much room for error does it? As soon as your site is accessed customers are looking for any reason (no matter how small) to click away, you have to have a site that invites users to participate; that’s where we come in. We provide full service web design and development, all you need to do is provide us with your vision and we’ll make it a reality. Our long list of satisfied customers speaks for itself. They have catapulted us into becoming one of the preeminent web service companies… Respect, Dependability, Capability, and Opportunity have made us one of the most Renowned companies in our field; It’s our pleasure to serve our wonderful clients, let us show you what they already know…. Successful websites all share the same basic traits.