Jun 23 2010

Would you opt out of housekeeping services at a hotel to save money?

Many hotels are saving money by cutting back on housekeeping services in the hotel. Some hotels are skipping changing linens...some for up to 3 days. You can even get a discount at some hotels for choosing the "green rate." What do you think? Would you give up clean sheets and towels for a discount?

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (31) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

6/16/2010 7:29:09 AM
Jenny United States
Jenny
For a few years I've noticed that alot of hotels ask people to hang up their towels if they don't want new ones or to put a card they provide on the bed if you don't want the sheets changed.  As a family we have always done this, even in our home we will hang dry towels to help save on the costs of water for washing them.  Every little bit helps for the pocketbook and the environment.
6/16/2010 7:30:13 AM
Dawn Marie McAlister United States
Dawn Marie McAlister
I would definitely give up clean sheets and towels. I don't change my sheets every day at home so I don't need it when I'm out. Its better for the environment and we are to be stewards of this planet, plus, it makes my stay more private. I think this is a wonderful idea.
6/16/2010 7:36:11 AM
Diane garza United States
Diane garza
I just stayed at a hotel that offers that service. I have always contended that my sheets do not need to be changed while I am there. As long as they are clean when I check in I am a happy camper.
6/16/2010 7:36:54 AM
Steve United States
Steve
Been doing it for years, unofficially.  We simply hang the "do not disturb" tag on the door when we leave.  Towels dry fine on the shower rod, and we don't change the sheets daily at home.
6/16/2010 7:37:25 AM
Michelle United States
Michelle
I would do it.  My husband and I usually ask for our room not to be disturbed anyway.  I think its great if they make it optional as long as it saves the consumer.
6/16/2010 7:37:39 AM
Regina United States
Regina
yes!!!!!!!!!  We already use our bath towels at home twice before washing.  I've even trained my 3 kids to do so.  And we SURE don't change bed linens daily, like you mentioned.  I'd LOVE to save lodging expense by having a "green" option!
6/16/2010 7:41:07 AM
Mabely United States
Mabely
Absolutely, we would opt for saving. I know the majority of us DO NOT change our linens everyday. Of course, the hotel would have change linens in between customers.
6/16/2010 7:44:14 AM
Dorothy United States
Dorothy
I think we should think about who is losing $$ or a job because this service is not being used. Yes it is great to go green but @ what cost. People don't need to lose income because of it.   I wouldn't want to do housekeeping @ a hotel but it a service neede & people do to support their families.
6/16/2010 7:46:11 AM
Jim Sewell United States
Jim Sewell
No problem for me.  At least the germs on the second night are my own... with fresh sheets I have to wonder if they are really clean all over again. Smile
6/16/2010 7:47:30 AM
Marcia United States
Marcia
I don't change sheets everyday when at home and sure don't need it in a hotel.  I use towels more than once too.  When I am out I usually hang the do not disturb sign on the door anyway.
6/16/2010 7:49:31 AM
Ramona United States
Ramona
I do that anyway and have for awhile now. I don't change sheets every day at home and if you hang up the towel it dries fine and surely I got clean when I showered so how could it be dirty? If you can save the motel a little money I would hope it trickles down. I don't clean out the breakfast bar of all the jellies and peanut butters either. I take what I need then and not for the next month at home.
6/16/2010 7:51:00 AM
candi naylor United States
candi naylor
Think about the safety. We usually hang out the no service anyways. Most of the time we need towels or anything we get it ourselves. It is awesome if they ask a discount. I know too many times people who have had clothes or toys or other items taken by hotel personnel. As long as they clean between customers. I have personnally asked hotel clerks to not have housekeeping enter unless we ask for something and usually the front desk person brings those items anyways.
6/16/2010 7:51:50 AM
melissa Tucekr United States
melissa Tucekr
I think as long as the sheets are cleaned inbetween differnt customers then i would be okay if was staying more than 3 days then i would ask for them to be changed the main think i would be more worried about is "BED BUGS"  Alot of hotels have them and you can bring them home with you and believe me you don't want that my mother and father went of vaction 3 years ago and stayed ina holtel a very nice holtel cost them 145 a night and caugt bed bugs and brought them home they never knew it until my mom started finding bite marks on her arms and then she finaly decided to strip her bed after two nights of being woke up and to her surprise where these little bug crawling around you can see what they look like by looking them up online gross.  We know check before we lay down and if we see any sign of them we leave.
6/16/2010 7:57:37 AM
Cherie United States
Cherie
I recently stayed at a hotel in Hawaii where they don't give a discount but you do have options. They only change your sheets between guests and after every third day of your stay. My husband was there working for 16 days so that saved them a lot of sheet changing. They also state that only towels that are on the floor will be replaced. If you hang it up they will assume that you are planning to use it again. If you want your sheets changed more often, all you have to do is ask. They do this to help conserve Hawaii's precious water supply.
6/16/2010 8:01:57 AM
Karma Webb United States
Karma Webb
Maybe I'm using the wrong class of Hotel, but I have never had my sheets changed in between nights.  I also used to work in the housekeeping dept. of a local hotel (an upper class) and it was regular protocol to make the bed, change the towels that were obviously used, wipe the vanities and bathrooms, but we never changed the sheets until the guest checked out.  I always appreciate a clean fresh daily towel, and if it meant going after it myself, I would opt out of housekeeping.
6/16/2010 8:08:03 AM
Theresa United States
Theresa
No no no!  That is one of the best parts of my vacation.  I love the feel of clean fresh sheets because it is so "vacation".  Same with the towels... love having clean everything everyday since at my house having both clean is MY chore!
6/16/2010 10:37:57 AM
Mackenzie United States
Mackenzie
Most definitely! Even though it saves money people have to look beyond that, not changing the linens means not washing the linens every single day which ultimately helps the enviorment. So you are saving money and helping the enviorment!
6/16/2010 10:40:12 AM
Tammy United States
Tammy
Sure...why not? As others said I don't change it every day at home anyway. Plus I shower every night before I jump in the sheets anyway. I just want to know I have clean linen when I check in. The last hotel I stayed at, when I got to my room  it was already occupied by someone else....yikes!
6/16/2010 3:47:09 PM
Elke (say: El-ka United States
Elke (say: El-ka
I would be more than willing to do that for a discount. If you think about it, do you change your sheets at home every day? I do not see the necessity to have fresh sheets every day. As far as towels go, I can go about three days with the same towels, then I'd like fresh ones. I do the same thing at home. Every person in my family has their own towels and keeps them for 3-4 days. I am from Germany, and in German hotels the bed will not get fresh sheets until the guests leave, and towels are changed about every three days for the same guest. Of course everything gets changed for new customers the come in after we leave.

Acutally I don't even expect a discount. I think it's ridiculous to want fresh sheets every day. Think of the laundry expense!
6/16/2010 3:47:22 PM
Jamie Burgess United States
Jamie Burgess
I think that is great.  We don't change our sheets daily at home and my husband and I already use our towels two days in a row to cut down on laundry.  I opt for the discount!!!  Thank you for your hardwork you station is an inspiration to our family.
6/16/2010 3:47:27 PM
Justin United States
Justin
Yep.  Anything to save a few dollars.  It's not like it changes anything from my daily routine.
6/16/2010 3:47:58 PM
Rhonda United States
Rhonda
That's one of the first things I do when checking into a hotel...let them know I don't want any room service/cleaning. In fact, my husband has taken our dirty towels to the office & got clean ones ourselves before. The reason we started this is because we had a couple items stollen at one hotel while on vacation and we just don't want to be bothered by them. If we stay a longer time (longer than a few days)...we will let them know a day in advance that we want on the cleaning list for the next day. I've heard horror stories about housekeepers (going through your items, sticking your toothbrush in the toilet-among other places, pouring out half your cologne for themselves & adding water to your bottle so you don't realize it, etc...it was on t.v.). I put my toothbrush and a few other items in the car when I know they will be cleaning.
6/16/2010 3:51:39 PM
Josh United States
Josh
If its only me sleeping in the bed, knowing that I bathe before bed every night anyway. Hey why not save some cash, We work hard for it might as well hold on to what we can.
6/16/2010 3:55:53 PM
Kendra United States
Kendra
It depends on the hotel. If the hotel is like Motel 6-please wash them everyday! If it is a hotel that maybe has nicer inside and out and maybe cost a little more-I wouldn't really care.
6/16/2010 3:59:24 PM
Elizabeth Evans United States
Elizabeth Evans
No because it would be, like sleeping in someone else's bed...YUCK!!! If I ever did that, I would bring my own sheets.
6/16/2010 4:04:40 PM
Aaron United States
Aaron
I normally just keep the do not disturb sign up anyway. If Ican make their job easier I will.
6/16/2010 5:00:00 PM
Linda United States
Linda
As a Green Motel, we welcome guests who appreciate daily cleaning service yet understand the waste of time, effort and money spent on changing then washing, folding and putting away of sheets and towels that have only been used once.  As mentioned so many times by our guests, people generally don't change their sheets at home everyday so, why do it on vacation?  Of course, housekeeping will change any sheets that are obviously soiled and ALWAYS change sheets between guests.  Our earth and our water supply is simply too precious to waste.
6/16/2010 5:36:13 PM
Judi United States
Judi
Yes I would and I have saved money on Motel when I stay 2 or 3 days and tell them I don't want housekeeping coming in at all. If the trash gets full I will set it out in the morning. I saved $30. a night at Comfort Inn Suites. It was an extended stay with full kitchen, dishes and pans, but $105. for 3 nights was a good deal.
6/17/2010 11:58:17 AM
Jordan Ascanio United States
Jordan Ascanio
As long as the linens are cleaned prior to my arrival, I don't mind the maid service not changing my sheets daily. I don't change them daily at home, so why do I need fresh sheets everyday at a hotel? Save water! The less "help" in my room the better. Truth of the matter, I've had things taken out of my hotel rooms in the past (clothes, personal tolietries, etc) and if I can keep maid service out, I will! If I need fresh towels, I will go to the front desk myself Smile
6/18/2010 5:50:22 AM
Sandi United States
Sandi
for sure I would. I don't change the linen each day anyway and I am drying a clean body off so why does it need to be switched. If I could save money and have more cash to do with on my vacation it would be better.
6/22/2010 6:13:39 AM
Samantha United States
Samantha
My husband and I always put out the Do not Disturb sign. There is no reason to have the sheets changed every day when we dont even do that at home. We also hang our towels then get our own when we need them. Plus, I would rather know that someone hasnt been snooping through my things. Since we are already doing that it would be great to get a discount!