Jun 25 2010

Cats on a leash?!

There is an old leash law in a town that they are trying to overturn. It requires cats to be on a leash! Ever tried to walk a cat on a leash? What happened?!

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (18) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

6/20/2010 10:26:06 PM
Elke United States
Elke
My daughter has successfully trained her cat to walk on a leash. The cat enjoys it and loves going to the park. She walks perfectly next to my daughter just like a dog would, does not yank the leash or run fast. People often stop and are amazed at this cat, and little kids, from a distance, think it is a dog. Smile
6/20/2010 10:45:15 PM
Cindy United States
Cindy
I've owned cats all my life and have yet to be able to train them to a leash. It ran the gambit from having to drag them, them escaping or having them totally freak out, but the one that cracked me up the most was Nepal. She would collapse on the ground with her head down and a look of total humiliation. She wouldn't fight back, she would just look at me as if to say "How dare you treat me like a dog! Kill me Now! I can't bear it any longer!"
6/21/2010 1:12:54 AM
Brenda United States
Brenda
I have 2 cats and they both walk on a leash  just fine around the house...one of them I walk around my neighborhood and he walks on a leash better than my dog will!  I daily put them both outside tied to a line and they do great and love it!
6/21/2010 8:35:17 AM
Lori United States
Lori
Yes, when i was in school. i used to walk my cat. she was brillant. 8)
6/21/2010 11:59:17 PM
Leandra United States
Leandra
ok, that is messed up, a cat doesn't belong on a leash.
6/22/2010 10:04:25 AM
Ricky United States
Ricky
Let the cats run free! However, please keep their feces out of street drains, lakes, rivers, and especially the ocean! Otters are susceptible to and can die from the same disease that children and adult humans can get from cat poop!
6/22/2010 10:21:34 AM
Dori United States
Dori
Despite popular belief you can train a cat to walk on a leash but you have to do it the right way.  Start them of young with a harness and a retractable leash.  Let them walk to you instead of dragging them.  With patience and a lot of TLC it can happen.  I've done it all my life and I've had a lot of kitties.  In fact I have a baby kitty with me right now that I found wandering around my apartment complex.  I just found him 2 days ago and he's maybe 4 months and already I've got him on the harness and walking.  Please don't drag them people.  Bring something outside with you that they like and have them walk to you to get their toy.  After a while you'll have them running through the grass in no time.  Good luck.
6/22/2010 11:20:15 AM
Amanda United States
Amanda
I used to try walking the family cats on leashes when I was a little girl, as well as trying with the cat my husband and I had a few years ago, and my experiences with it sound very similar to Cindy's... they so did not appreciate my thinking I had the right to tell them where to go and when to go. Silly human, cats make the rules!
6/22/2010 11:48:09 AM
J.W. Bauman United States
J.W. Bauman
My mom had a cat that she walked;  Mindy would lay on her side as Mom put on her halter and leash and out the door they would go.  (You can imagine the looks they received.)

When I brought my cat Toby over to Mom's house, she would lean down, he would jump up on her shoulder, curl around her neck and off they would go for a walk around the block.

(Please don't let your cats out...keep them inside.  People are stealing dogs and cats and selling them to laboratories for experimentation.)

God bless you!
6/22/2010 12:57:32 PM
Ivan United States
Ivan
Cindy. that is FUNY. LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!! Laughing
6/23/2010 11:30:05 AM
cliff pack United States
cliff pack
I'VE HAD 3 CATS THAT WERE DEAF(ONLY HAVE ONE NOW THE OTHER 2,MOSES AND ARON, PASSED ON)THE ONE I HAVE NOW IS ISAAC HE'S 11 YRS OLD.THEY WERE NOT RELATED. THEY ARE SOLID WHITE WITH 2 BLUE EYES AND DEAF AS A DOOR KNOB. ALL 3 WERE LEASH TRAINED FROM  THE BEGINING BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T JUST RUN FREE. THERE'S NO WAY TO CALL THEM BACK AND THEY COULDN'T HEAR CARS COMING. THEY ONLY WENT OUTSIDE WITH A LEASH ON THAT WAS HOOKED TO THE PORCH POST OR WE WOULD WALK THEM WITH THEIR LEASHES ON. THEY WOULD SIT IN THE DOORWAY UNTIL THEY WERE HOOKED UP AND THEN WALK OUT THE DOOR. I'VE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM TRAINING THEM.THEY TOOK TO IT LIKE THEY KNEW WHY WE DID IT.GOD BLESS
6/23/2010 4:30:09 PM
Janis United States
Janis
I have a cat, Tai, that I have trained to walk on a leash. He and I go for a walk pretty much every day that the weather permits. I tell him to go to the door and he will go wait for me to get the leash and halter. He was very easy to train. By the third day he acted as if were a normal thing to do. He was about 6 months old when he was trained. I have to say that he is an exceptionally smart cat....just ask him, he will tell you that is true!!!
6/24/2010 8:43:36 PM
Julia United States
Julia
well all i can tell you is cats are very  unique in ways because all cats are different. some prefer to be on leashes and some prefer to be an indoor cat. but the funny thing is my cat now is so scared of the daylight. funny i know. whenever it gets dark out he always begs to get outside. then he makes this scratchy cat like meow but i cant really describe it. maybe scott can but i cant. but oh well all i know is last time my cat was on a leash we ended having a lot to pay for.
6/25/2010 10:53:02 AM
Jenny United States
Jenny
When I got my first cat she wanted outside and she was declawed and I didn't want her to wander off so I put her on a harness with about 4 leashes attached and let her out in the back yard.  Needless to say I was always going out there and untangling her from around trees etc. I did try to actually take her for a walk once and she wouldn't have any of that though.
6/25/2010 11:46:03 AM
Cindy United States
Cindy
Cats and a leash... mmm no... just does not work. my daughter tried this when she was young... it doesn't work at all...
6/25/2010 5:45:25 PM
Marsha United States
Marsha
Back in the late 1960's I had a cat I used to walk on a leash  The secret was to make her think I wanted to go the opposite way than I really did, so she thought she was running the show.  I had a harness for her and one day at the beach i tied her leash to the car door so she could be in the shade of some trees while I was on the beach.  Came back to an empty harness.  When I called, she came sauntering out from under a bush and gave me that "I'll do what I want" look.
6/26/2010 4:16:06 AM
Proven Penis Enlargement Faroe Islands
Proven Penis Enlargement
Is Blogengine getting a large upgrade shortly? I listen to that they were performing so to fight off wordpress three.0 � just curious once you had listen to anything at all at all?
6/27/2010 10:19:01 PM
Ambre United States
Ambre
When I first moved into an apartment by myself, I came across a wild baby kitten at my Grandparents farm, and decided to keep her. A few months later I thought I would be clever and buy her a harness and leash and try to walk her. It was a no go, gave her several tries, but she would just continuously purposely fall down and allow herself to be drug. Needless to say the harness and leash was not a success.