Dec 16 2014

"Chocolate Bar" Book Raises $1 Million to Help Cure Friend's Illness

No Joke: Angelina Jolie's Chickenpox Can Be Serious for Adults

5 Smart Picks at the Mall Food Court

See a Hero Tortoise Help a Friend Get Back on Its Feet

In Other News...

Take a Look at Instagram's 5 New Filters

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (0) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS
Dec 15 2014

Christmas Matters For You

No Reindeer Needed: How To Ship Your Gifts On Time

In Other News...

Tom Gubitosi Plays "Santa" To More than 200 Long Island Children

Frozen Director to Parents: I'm Sorry for Let it Go

Christmas matters for you

It’s amazing, isn’t it, how much extra baggage has been piled onto the stories of Christmas? Singers can put out a “Christmas” album and never once mention the baby in the manger. Somehow you can make a whole season out of mistletoe, Yule logs, Frosty, Rudolph, and chestnuts roasting on an open fire.

Santa Claus can’t do a thing for you because he’s just part of the myth. The only way that the “holiday” will be a holy day for you is if you center your thoughts on the incredible truth that the second person of the Trinity, God from God and Light from Light, thought enough of you to become fully human, just like you.

Here is why Christmas matters: “Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death--that is, the devil--and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death” (Hebrews 2:14,15). Imagine that. He needed a human body so it could be nailed to a cross. He needed human blood so it could be poured out as a sin offering for the world. For you.

And it all started in Bethlehem. What can you say to that but “glory to God in the highest!”

Dec 15 2014

Christmas Matters For you

No Reindeer Needed: How To Ship Your Gifts On Time

In Other News...

Tom Gubitosi Plays "Santa" To More than 200 Long Island Children

Frozen Director to Parents: I'm Sorry for Let it Go

Christmas matters for you

TEXT or CALL???
Aug 10 2010

TEXT or CALL???

Scott and Kelli Poll... What do you do more... TEXT or CALL???
Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (113) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

8/3/2010 11:49:57 AM
Marius Netherlands
Marius
Definitely calling!
8/3/2010 11:50:05 AM
kathy United States
kathy
def text.
it's so much more private.  Nobody can "overhear" you!!
8/3/2010 11:50:10 AM
Nolan Turner United States
Nolan Turner
Definitely text...but do agree text can be taken incorrectly.
8/3/2010 11:50:14 AM
Tracy United States
Tracy
Text
8/3/2010 11:50:18 AM
Brenda Hocutt United States
Brenda Hocutt
I'd rather talk - I agree with Scott about sometimes misinterpreting text messages.  In speaking directly to someone I can gauge their feelings by their intonation.  Not able to do that with texting.
8/3/2010 11:50:20 AM
Lily United States
Lily
TEXT!!!

I text so much more than I call these days.
8/3/2010 11:50:20 AM
Chris Z United States
Chris Z
Test or mobile web on iPhone way more.
8/3/2010 11:50:29 AM
Robin Aragon United States
Robin Aragon
text
8/3/2010 11:50:34 AM
Chelsea United States
Chelsea
I tend to call the people i am closest to more.. but if I don't really want to talk on the phone, then I text. I guess it just depends on the situation.
8/3/2010 11:50:34 AM
Matt Richardson United States
Matt Richardson
Text.
8/3/2010 11:50:37 AM
Renee Leveque United States
Renee Leveque
I prefer texting especially when in a hurry because  I don't want to get caught up in a long conversation Smile  Thank you for doing such a great job!  I appreciate you!
8/3/2010 11:50:49 AM
Stephanie United States
Stephanie
TEXT! Way more convenient--especially with two small children.  I don't have 'shush' my kids to text. Smile
8/3/2010 11:51:02 AM
Lin United States
Lin
neither, I e-mail more than calling.
8/3/2010 11:51:05 AM
mike United States
mike
Phone!!
8/3/2010 11:51:07 AM
Kathryn Smith United States
Kathryn Smith
I prefer to talk with family members and friends however if it is work related I prefer to text so that I have record of what was said exactly.
8/3/2010 11:51:14 AM
David Beausoleil United States
David Beausoleil
I text way more then I talk on the phone. It's just really easy and the other person can respond when it's a good time for them.
8/3/2010 11:51:22 AM
Stacy Bianco United States
Stacy Bianco
call
8/3/2010 11:51:25 AM
Janice United States
Janice
It depends on who I'm talking to.  The younger generation, text. Older, telephone.  But, you are correct in saying text can be misunderstood.  My daughter does not talk to me at all these days because she reads my text totally out of context.  She read it one way and I totally was saying it another way.
8/3/2010 11:51:29 AM
Steven Denny United States
Steven Denny
Guys, I have never sent a text in my life.  I'm 45 years old and just feel the phone was made to talk on.  My wife on the other hand texts enough for three people.  one rule - text at the table when we're eating and the phone will be against the wall in a compromising position.
8/3/2010 11:51:32 AM
Kathleen Coomans United States
Kathleen Coomans
I text more than talking to a person on the phone
8/3/2010 11:51:33 AM
Tori pesses United States
Tori pesses
I text way more. Mainley because Im a teenager, and I find texting more fun. Hahh.
8/3/2010 11:51:41 AM
alejandro United States
alejandro
I call more.  i prefer to hear another person's voice over misreading a text.
8/3/2010 11:52:05 AM
Maria United States
Maria
I prefer calling over texting.
8/3/2010 11:52:08 AM
Kathy United States
Kathy
I probably text more although I prefer talking.  It's more personable, shows emotions, and more can be said.  One big reason I thing texting is more popular now is because you can get unlimited texting so you don't have to worry about going over.
8/3/2010 11:52:15 AM
Darrick Grimmett United States
Darrick Grimmett
I use to call but I didn't have a long phone conversation. But now with this new job I find myself actually having to text more. It allows me to all of my family and conduct buisness simutanously.
8/3/2010 11:52:15 AM
Carolyn United States
Carolyn
I prefer texting, because sometimes I don't feel like talking.  Also, it's easier to quit talking to someone rather than making an excuse to nhang up. Also, with some people, I CAN get a word in edge wise. ha ha
8/3/2010 11:52:17 AM
claudia United States
claudia
i text alot i love to text then talking!!!
8/3/2010 11:52:18 AM
jenny United States
jenny
text, but I think calling is way better
8/3/2010 11:52:21 AM
Megan United States
Megan
I text way more than i talk on the phone.. But your right Scott you can miss interpret a text.. Iv done it many times. But i still like texting more than talking on the phone.
8/3/2010 11:52:25 AM
Laura Hulon United States
Laura Hulon
Calling is much more personal and real. When I receive a text I interperet it the I think and believe me it has gotten me in trouble!
8/3/2010 11:52:29 AM
NJ Wanderer United States
NJ Wanderer
Phone.  Txt loses non-verbal & syncronous quality.
8/3/2010 11:52:38 AM
Tony Evans United States
Tony Evans
I don't even have text messaging.  People try to text me and tell me that I never replied.  They can't believe that I don't have it because "everyone texts."  What's the point of having a phone if you don't talk on it?! I want to hear a voice.  Call me!
8/3/2010 11:52:48 AM
Darrick Grimmett United States
Darrick Grimmett
8/3/2010 11:53:01 AM
Preston United States
Preston
I talk...I am a gabber.  Texting, as Scott stated, has a lack of emotion, and in my opinion, is very impersonal.
But then again, I have yet to text anyone despite having a phone that can text, and I can state proudly I am one of the few, the proud, the Facebook Free!!!
8/3/2010 11:53:27 AM
bob United States
bob
text.  a phone call might interrupt a friend at work, plus I have a 13 yr old daughter and that is the best way to get ahold of her, as she rarely answers her phone.
8/3/2010 11:53:38 AM
Susie United States
Susie
CALL - Coversation is so pleasant.
8/3/2010 11:54:10 AM
Suzanne D. United States
Suzanne D.
TEXT!! Most definately! Smile unfortunatley I'm not a big "talker" so I use texting to avoid getting "stuck" on the phone with some "long winded" family and friends Smile Not that I don't love them to death! That's just me. lol.
8/3/2010 11:54:18 AM
Dilia United States
Dilia
TEXT OH YA!!!!
8/3/2010 11:54:29 AM
Suzanne Miller United States
Suzanne Miller
I definitely talk more! I am the world's slowest texter, and by the time I type a text, I could have already called a few people! I do agree with Scott, that you miss something personal when not speaking.
8/3/2010 11:54:59 AM
Nick Lopez United States
Nick Lopez
I find myself on both sides of this argument. I feel like I text or communicate through social networks more than I do talk on the phone, but if I were to look at my cell phone bill, I use a lot of my 1400 alloted minutes and I send on average at least 2,000 texts a month. I am not a big fan of talking on the phone but sometimes, texting does leave a lot to be desired and miscommunication is a big problem. Texts are good for short and quick questions or comments but talking is so much more personal and meaningful. Just my opinion Smile
8/3/2010 11:55:18 AM
Teresa Fisher United States
Teresa Fisher
text, text, text!
8/3/2010 11:55:22 AM
Rustin Spacy United States
Rustin Spacy
txt none of my friends call anyway unless its an emergency!!
8/3/2010 11:55:59 AM
karen United States
karen
def text
i love texting because you can start and stop a conversation when every you want.
8/3/2010 11:56:40 AM
Donna Sisk United States
Donna Sisk
Both myself and my husband do not like to tect. And so my son, and my other son and daughter like to tects, I have told them to call and not tect. I am seening more and more people tecting, I hope this does not become the norm, bcause teen do not know how just talk it seems.
8/3/2010 11:57:06 AM
Stephanie Harmon United States
Stephanie Harmon
I am a product of the millinial generation (1983-2004 the generation after generation X)and we definately text more! I am a cheerleading coach and if you try and call kids they won't answer...but will immediately text you "What's up?" wanting to know what the call was for. It's much easier to text the first go around. Also, Scott..."sometimes" it's better they NOT know the emotion in my text! Haha!
8/3/2010 11:58:17 AM
Jackie United States
Jackie
text............lolSmile
8/3/2010 11:58:32 AM
Hannah United States
Hannah
I text more then i call but i do both
my mom text's a lot almost never calls at all!
8/3/2010 11:58:40 AM
Gayle United States
Gayle
I TEXT all the time however I feel that a phone call every once in a while really does the heart good.
8/3/2010 11:59:44 AM
Darren United States
Darren
I like to Text more then talk
8/3/2010 11:59:55 AM
Tracey United States
Tracey
My kids will text me WAY before they'll answer my calls.

I also love the convenience of not having to "bug" someone. They can look at the text whenever they want and respond that way too.

I would also prefer to RECEIVE texts rather than calls.

I'm also the one in the office who will email a message to the person across the hall instead of call! Laughing
8/3/2010 12:00:05 PM
Lillian United States
Lillian
I LOVE texting!  It is quick and easy.  I lead a Sr. High youth group and I can send them all a quick reminder message at the same time without making a million phone calls!  It is also fun for sending little messages during the day to "my kids" to let them know I'm thinking about them or praying for them on days they need encouragement.
8/3/2010 12:00:07 PM
Linda McCune United States
Linda McCune
Talk!  More personal, no one read's "between the lines" and it helps that my daughters and most of my friends are all fast talkers like myself so we get the job done quickly, efficiently and personally!!! Thumbs up Scott!
8/3/2010 12:00:20 PM
Charisty United States
Charisty
Calling because I talk alot
8/3/2010 12:01:05 PM
joanne United States
joanne
wanted to text you my answer but you don't have a way for me to do that! definitely texting. =)
8/3/2010 12:01:31 PM
Lisa Earl United States
Lisa Earl
Depends on the person I'm contacting.  If they prefer texting then I text.  If they prefer calling then I call.  :-D
8/3/2010 12:01:45 PM
Will United States
Will
i prefer texting because it's easier, but it can be misunderstood sometimes.
8/3/2010 12:02:41 PM
Hannah United States
Hannah
I totally text more! Smile it's so much more convenient, you don't have to make sure it's "a good time" for both parties, and you can think of your reply longer and never say something accidental.
8/3/2010 12:03:18 PM
krystin poplawski United States
krystin poplawski
yeah I would definitely text. its easier to get off the phone... and on the phone...
8/3/2010 12:04:08 PM
Margaret United States
Margaret
txting or calling?  It depends on what needs to be said.  I am not that much of a talker and I am surrounded by people who just LOVE to talk.  So if it's just a question or something quick than I would much rather text, get to the point and get on with what I need to do.

But there have been times that I have been hurt or others have been hurt because of a text.  You just don't get the tone or emotion in a text.
8/3/2010 12:05:35 PM
Kaylene United States
Kaylene
I do both but mostly texting.
8/3/2010 12:05:55 PM
tracy United States
tracy
call...but I am starting to convert I am slowly starting to text more than I have in the past, but still not more than calling.
8/3/2010 12:06:22 PM
Debbie United States
Debbie
Calling because I can talk alot faster than I can text!!
8/3/2010 12:06:41 PM
Sondra United States
Sondra
call, definately. mouths are for talking,hands for doing.
8/3/2010 12:08:45 PM
John United States
John
Texting MOST definitely
8/3/2010 12:08:46 PM
Derek Swartz United States
Derek Swartz
Text!  No One wants to call or talk on the phone anymore.  everytime I call a friend, they tell me there too busy to talk just text them....
8/3/2010 12:09:05 PM
KATIE United States
KATIE
I think it's a guy thing; the calling. Men prefer to call because they feel a little clumsy w/ their fingers on the keypad? Also depends on their age, my boy teenagers are quick to text but slow to call for checking in Smile
8/3/2010 12:09:13 PM
Charles United States
Charles
Call since a lot of information can be conveyed quickly.

Phone calls ALWAYS go through within seconds. I have had text messages delievered up to 1 hour later.

I text when I can't get through in case the person is in a meeting.
8/3/2010 12:10:26 PM
bill United States
bill
I'm a caller. Its faster to talk and get it done instead of back and forth line by line to carry on a conversation. and it's so NOT Personal.....
8/3/2010 12:10:28 PM
Jennifer Hesterman United States
Jennifer Hesterman
I definately text more than anything, if I didn't text I probably wouldn't talk to anyone. I really don't like talking on the phone and never have. Although I do agree that text's can be misinterpreted, because you can't put the correct emphasis on your texts as opposed to talking to someone on the phone, but I think I'll stick to texting.
8/3/2010 12:11:35 PM
Heike United States
Heike
I call and actually really talk to people more than I text... some things just don't come through when you're texting
8/3/2010 12:11:53 PM
Lissa Van Van Rijn Canada
Lissa Van Van Rijn
Texting or instant message.
We use instant messages at work.
8/3/2010 12:13:15 PM
Rachel United Kingdom
Rachel
Texting! It's a lot cheaper and if you get a special text you can keep it, and look back at it if you're having a rough day. I'm also not much of a talker, I listen more than I talk, so texting is just much easier.
8/3/2010 12:13:41 PM
CRISTINA RAMIREZ United States
CRISTINA RAMIREZ
I like text when i want a quick answer or really don't feel like talking... and I don't have to hear my kids complaining,arguing ect....LOL and I love it when my kids do text language and when I respond cause i understand it is sooo funny..
8/3/2010 12:14:42 PM
Zach United States
Zach
I text more than I call, but I think there's pros and cons of each. Texting you can send a mass message to several people at once instead of calling each person individually. Calling can help though when you want someone to catch on to what your saying or your attitude on something. Which you can't do when you text because it's just words. @Hannah I agree with hannah, you can also have more time to think through a conversation.
8/3/2010 12:14:48 PM
Tammi Lewis United States
Tammi Lewis
Definatly calling over texting, two reasons

1) Time saver - I am older and it takes less time to call

2) So much communication is lost in text, the happiness of giggles, the sigh of dissapointment, the glorious sound of your child saying "I love you" with feeling in their voice

8/3/2010 5:15:04 PM
Margaret United States
Margaret
I love to pray for someone with a txt.  I will have someone who is going through something, I send them a prayer (sometimes a really long prayer) but this way they get to keep that prayer and keep gaining strength from that prayer and it has helped more family and friends than I can count.

Carolyn....I HEAR ys  he he
8/3/2010 5:15:34 PM
Julie Borck United States
Julie Borck
WAY more texting than calling. Which is scary cuz just a year ago, I didnt know how to text!?
8/3/2010 5:16:48 PM
Maddie United States
Maddie
Both texting and calling have their benefits and drawbacks.  Texting allows communication that each party can compose and respond to at their leisure, though sometimes it may take a while for the receiving party to answer.  Calling can be disruptive sometimes, especially if the receiving party is in a situation in which it would be innapropriate to have their phone ring, like work or school (hey, everyone forgets to turn their phone on silent at some point).   However, it allows for more personal interaction, as it's just more intimate to talk to a friend or loved one and hear their voice.  One unfortunate drawback to the texting/social networking age is that while we are better able to communicate with people, our connections are shallower, since we often have to limit our questions and responses to 160 characters. I always seem to have more to say than space allows!
I guess for me, personally, I text more than I call, but only because that's how practically everyone communicates with me these days.  But nothing can beat a good, old-fashioned surprise phone call when it comes to really staying in touch.  Smile
8/3/2010 5:16:49 PM
Cassandra Hillard United States
Cassandra  Hillard
i definetly love  to text more  i hate  to talk on the phone it feels uncomfortable god bless you
8/3/2010 5:16:49 PM
Judy United States
Judy
I text more with my children (thrity somethings) because they will reply quickly when they won't answer a phone call, usually!

I like talking with my friends better, but texting is sometimes quicker and more efficient.

Judy
8/3/2010 5:16:52 PM
Cassandra Hillard United States
Cassandra  Hillard
8/3/2010 5:18:16 PM
patrick from pa United States
patrick from pa
CALL! I want to hear a human vioce. Nothing like it and the only thing better is God's vioce which sounds human. But did get a great reminder text from my brother Kendal who texted: Praise The Lord. Heis worth it! Thank you Jesus!
8/3/2010 5:31:08 PM
Eric United States
Eric
calling texting takes way to long to explain anything and then there is the confused factor and then on top of it you only get 150 characters

on top of it i spell check dose not exsist on phones and the 3 letter characters
8/4/2010 12:20:13 AM
Hannah United States
Hannah
My friend said she would call not text much
8/4/2010 1:25:31 AM
Jaime United States
Jaime
i do both alot but texting
8/4/2010 1:51:28 AM
Kelsa Brinker United States
Kelsa Brinker
I agree with Kelli, but calling is definitely the best way of COMMUNICATION.
If you don't want to communicate and simply get an answer to a question, texting is the way to go.
But if you really want to communicate with someone, calling is your thing.
8/4/2010 1:51:46 AM
Jane P. United States
Jane P.
I hope I am never too busy to talk to someone. One never knows when one may be talking to an Angel.
8/4/2010 1:53:20 AM
jon United States
jon
don't worry scott im sure a lot of people in alexander bells time thought telephones weren't real communication either.  im a texter
8/4/2010 1:53:33 AM
alina United States
alina
nothin but text Smile
8/4/2010 1:53:52 AM
alina United States
alina
;)
8/4/2010 1:55:50 AM
Lisa United States
Lisa
I text far more than I talk and I like it that way. Texting can't be overheard by the kids, and I don't have to shush them to do it. You have a record in case you forget something on the list he gave you and you can send a smiley when you have to break bad news.  That's hard to do with your voice.
8/4/2010 1:59:47 AM
Charity United States
Charity
I would rather text, but my parents only give me 250 texts a month (for emergencies only. So, I end up talking more.
8/4/2010 2:00:27 AM
Rusty Stull United States
Rusty Stull
I prefer to text!My best friend & our Associate Pastor text all of the time.The main reason I like texting is because I can't get enough reception at my house to make or receive a call,so I text all the time.
8/4/2010 2:00:39 AM
anna United States
anna
texting
8/4/2010 2:00:50 AM
Charles Campos United States
Charles Campos
This past Monday, my wife and I along with our two roommates carried on a 30 minute conversation as civilized folks should...via FACEBOOK while we were all sitting in our living room within 10 feet from one another!  Gotta love smart phones!
8/4/2010 2:18:24 AM
Kiim Taylor United States
Kiim Taylor
Hi guys,  I listen to you every day all day at work and I totally agree with Kelly.  I like to text so that I do not have to do the long conversations.  When i am busy I like to just text and let them answer when they have time and vice versa.  I would much rather text than talk other than to my sister and my mom.  LOL
8/4/2010 2:20:41 AM
Little K United States
Little K
SO thrilled to have another 40-something individual who has not texted - good to know I'm not alone!  I did attempt to figure it out once or twice but then gave up; my phone is too presumptuous about what it thinks I'm trying to say.  I prefer talking anyway although at times I agree texting might be more appropriate or convenient.
8/4/2010 2:22:59 AM
Sally Datria United States
Sally Datria
I am a big fan of all forms of communication.  I communicate a lot more with my teenage daughter now that she and I can text...I love FB because I have connected with people I haven't seen or talked to in years...I think that people have a tendency to "demonize" new technology as being less personal but there is no reason that we can't embrace ALL forms of communication and use if for the glory of God.  I get mass texts from my kids youth group leader that keeps me in the "know"...I get quick pray for me texts from friends...I communicate more now than I did before texting was available, but that doesn't mean I don't call people or take phone calls...it's all a matter of balance.
8/4/2010 2:23:02 AM
Amy Fincher United States
Amy Fincher
ive been listening to your discussion on text vs. call well i teacher 1st grade and i spend all year trying to teach students to spell your, don't, and numerous other words, to watch my year and other teachers hard work over the next years thrown away for ur=your, dk=don't know, lol= laugh out loud, ttyl= talk to you later, etc!!!!!! Its sad when I have to ask my 7 and 9 year old daughters what some of the text abbreviations are!!!!! But I do like to text better than calling!!! We love you KLOVE, Amy and family
8/4/2010 2:24:47 AM
Brittany United States
Brittany
while calling is still important to me, a group of my friends, all strong Christians is part of a text group.  There are nine of us in the group and through text we can have ongoing conversations all day and keep each other accountable in our relationships with Christ by reminding each other to have quiet times and to just discuss what God's doing in our lives.  While some people can only talk to one person at a time on the phone, this allows us to constantly be together whenever we want and act as a family in Christ.  Also, it's just fun to leave short encouraging messages with friends and family throughout the day. Smile
8/4/2010 8:57:11 AM
Kimberly G. United States
Kimberly G.
I text more because I only have an iPod touch.
8/4/2010 10:13:50 PM
Cathy United States
Cathy
I text especially when at work because we are not allowed personal calls. I work in a 911 center and every phone call is recorded. So....12 hr shifts are a long time to not make a phone call...and we dont get lunch breaks...we have to eat at the desk. So....I text...I can do that and not miss a call or radio traffic!  I love yall...youre great!
8/5/2010 7:28:14 AM
Jordyn United States
Jordyn
I definately text more. Although somethimes its much easier to call!
8/5/2010 9:49:45 AM
Larry from Haw River, NC United States
Larry from Haw River, NC
Kelli,

I agree with you that phone conversations are becoming a lost art.  However, in addition to great points mentioned so far such as convenient and unimposing, texting is handy when the recipient is not much of an "artist" at talking.
8/5/2010 5:24:06 PM
JC United States
JC
I prefer to talk, but I have unlimited texting, so I text more.
8/5/2010 6:39:07 PM
emily United States
emily
Call i Donot Know how to text
8/6/2010 12:59:46 AM
Rhonda United States
Rhonda
Text. I try to make it short just so I can text cause if it's too long...I'll just call but would rather text (depends on who it is though).
8/6/2010 1:20:18 AM
Amy Suggs United States
Amy Suggs
Call, I want to hear the voice.
8/6/2010 4:21:09 PM
Heidi J United States
Heidi J
Most def text
8/8/2010 6:09:19 PM
cheryl United States
cheryl
txt easier
8/9/2010 1:35:06 AM
Emily United States
Emily
As a working mother of 3 girls under the age of 5, I don't get very many quiet moments at home. And when it's nap time, that's my chance to catch up on my sleep. By texting, I can talk during tantrums, making dinner, or anything else. I do enjoy talking to people on the phone as well. It's just that when you have a baby crying at your feet and 2 others fighting, phone conversations just aren't possible!
8/10/2010 5:02:40 AM
Reese United States
Reese
Text for sures!! Smile
9/29/2010 11:52:41 AM
DONNA United States
DONNA
I text more than anything but there are some things that are better said in person are in a call then through text ;)