Jun 17 2011

This Will Make you Cry!

I have had so many requests to re-post this video. Since I have lost my dad, it really means a lot to me. It is a great reminder of what a privilege it is being a parent! Happy Father's Day!

Here's the letter we shared on the air from our friend, Steve:

My dad went to be with Jesus in August 2010 so this will be my first Fathers Day without him. I thought I would send you a copy of the note I wrote him last Fathers Day.

Dear Dad,                                             6/18/10

On this father's day there just doesn't seem to be an appropriate present to get you. With "our" resent news that cancer has invaded your body, and watching your loss of weight and seeing you fight back the pain and symptoms that we thought was something else. I can't help but to draw on the years of subtle things you have taught or a better word would be modeled as a dad. As a child I saw you run to God's word for comfort and guidance. I saw you. As a child you showed me that prayer was important to you. I saw you. As a child you showed me that strong and lasting fellowship would be found at the church. I saw you. As a kid there were times when you could not join mom and us kids because you were working one of three jobs to provide for us. I saw it. As a teen you showed me that discipline was part of your love for me when I thought I knew what was right. I saw it. As a teen I heard you apologize to someone because you were wrong. I saw it. As a teen when I admitted to my wrong doings forgiveness was quick because your love for me was so great. I saw it. As a young man I watched your relationship with other men, you never let their shortcomings influence you, you stayed true to your relationship with Christ and mom. I saw it. I saw and heard other men tell stories of how you witnessed to them and others at work. I saw it. I was there when the collection plate was passed every Sunday and there was always an envelope placed inside. I saw it. As a young man you never interfered with my decisions even if you knew they were wrong, and when I came to you for advice you always came through for me. I saw it. One of the verses that I keep close to me is Matt 7:13&14. 13 "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.  Dad more than your service in 3 branches of the military, more than your decades of service at the mill, more than the decades of service to the community as a police officer, more than your 50 year commitment of marriage to mom, I just want you to know with all the love a man can muster for his dad, you have walked this narrow road and displayed who a man should be in Christ. I SAW IT!!!!!

Finish Strong dad! Finish Strong!!! I will see it.

With the deepest of love I'm proud to be called you son! Steve Happy Fathers Day.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (12) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

6/17/2011 5:33:08 PM
Vicki United States
Vicki
Scott,
This fathers day is very hard for me as was mothers day. You see I lost a lot last year! My mother in law (who took over being my mom seven years ago when I lost my own mother) died on april 23,2010. My dad fell sick in the beginning of May and by May 30th he was in a coma. He came out on fathers day and spent the day laughing and jokeing around with us thou not able to speak because of a trake(air hole in his neck) it was beautiful and I thank God for that day but sadly he passed away 6 days later. He went back into a coma 4 hours after fathers day had ended and never recovered I miss him so much!!!!!!!! Love to all the fathers out there because you are sooooooooo special and sometimes we dont get the chance to really tell you that God Bless!!!!
Vicki
6/17/2011 5:54:44 PM
Mary United States
Mary
Scott, Thank you for reading that final father's day letter from Steve to his dad and for posting the video. There has not been a day that I have not thought of my dad since he passed ten years ago. I had the priviledge to be with Mom the last 5 weeks of ther life. She died in August2010 ten years to the day and almost to the hour that Dad passed. She and I always talked about Dad and I did not relize how much that helped. Now she is gone and miss them both. Father's Day has been tough for me over the years but I see things with differnt eyes after seeing Mom off to her heavenly home. If I were to tell anyone anything it would be to hug your parents as if it were the last time every time you hug them. Look them in the eyes and tell them you love them and thank them for being who they are. I remember the last hug and the last kiss from both of them. There is nothing like it. I look forward to the day that I see them in Heaven. In the meantime I am taking up their work here. Loving other people and living for God. I have big shoes to fill as they were giants to me. It is an honor to be their child. God Bless you and Happy Father's Day!
Mary
6/17/2011 6:03:10 PM
Jodi United States
Jodi
Thank you Scott...and God Bless you.  I appreciate what Steve wrote and will share it with my sons.  They lost their dad last August...this being the first Father's Day without him.  I pray that they see these things in me...as I attempt to honor their dad's legacy. As I remind them, though your earthly father went on ahead of you, your Heavenly Father is still with you every single day.  May Sunday be warming to you.
6/17/2011 7:07:41 PM
Melanie United States
Melanie
I also heard the letter on the radio. I lost my father March 24th of this year. After years of being sick, Dad finally got worse & First part of March Mom said we'd all better come home. I got home to see the man I loved only but a shell of himself. He slept mostly, but some days he was lucid and I remember the last conversation we had. Dad said, Melanie you know I am dying, don't you? I said yeah daddy, I do. Are you at peace with that? He looked at me for a long time and said yeah, I've made peace. I am so tired. I grabbed his hands, and after months and months of begging him to hang on till I could get home, I looked at him with tears in my eyes and said; Daddy, if you are tired, it is OK to go Home. We both cried some and the next morning I left to go back to my home 1300 miles away. Every day, I cried and begged God to take my Daddy so he would not suffer any more. I begged God to not let him die alone. I got a phone call a week and a half later & momma was on the other line. She said he's gone, but you have to hear how he passed. She preceeded to tell me that she was on the phone with the preacher and standing by Dad's bedside and they were praying. My Dad's heartbeat started dropping slowly..50's..40s..and momma said to the preacher, I think he's going. Momma grabbed Daddy's hand and the preacher started praying. When the preacher said AMEN, Daddy's heartbeat went to zero. He passed painlessly in his sleep and with momma holding his hand. I am so grateful for my Heavenly Father, that heard his little girls cry and answered her prayers. God is so good. I may not have my father here with me this Father's day, but I know he is with my Heavenly father and I can't wait for the day when I can see him again. - With much love, Melanie
6/17/2011 8:15:32 PM
Shannon Evans United States
Shannon Evans
Thank you so much not only for everything you do and say on the radio station, but for this letter that Steve wrote to his father. It brought tears to my eyes when I heard you read it on the radio and again tears to my eyes when I had my husband read it. I know its meant for fathers but me as a mother of 4 I hope and pray that my children see Jesus in me. That I always be a living example not only to them but to others. This really hit home thank you. May GOD bless you both and the radio station and all the people out there without there dad's. Also the people who there dad's are not in there life.

In Christ Shannon Evans
6/17/2011 8:34:14 PM
cathy United States
cathy
Scott,
I was listening to your show when you had just played this video. I cried with you, even though I had not seen the video yet. I lost my dad three weeks ago. I miss him very much! I loved him with all my heart, and it saddened me greatly to see him slowly lose his physical and mental abilities as he had idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis and heart problems. He taught me and my siblings so much about life.
I was in the store picking out Father's Day cards for my sons and brother, and the tears flowed as I realized I wouldn't be able to give my dad a Father's Day card this year. But, instead, I can pray to him and again remind him of all he meant to me.
Thank you, Scott, for what you say and show to us in God's love. I made sure that I listened to your show all day the day my Dad went to be with our Lord....I felt closer to my Dad and God and needed God more that day to help me deal with my Dad's loss.
Cathy
6/18/2011 1:31:17 PM
Faye Lancaster United States
Faye Lancaster
Scott, I wanted to let you know a couple of days ago when I was listening to you at work and you started crying that I was almost crying with you. I stopped and prayed for you right then and there. I have been a K-Love listener since 2006 and each and everyone of you are so encouraging to listen to. You are all so genuine. I listen to K-Love at home, in car and at work and the Lord is working through your station. He is glorified each and every day. I lost my daddy in 2002 and lost my father-in-law this past November. Keep up the great ministry that you and all the rest do for all of us. I am so glad to be a part of the K-Love family. Blessings to you all.
6/18/2011 5:36:56 PM
Lisa United States
Lisa
Scott, the video was wonderful.  I lost my father 4 years ago.  We were actually at a funeral for my cousin, and we went to their house afterwards to visit and my father (who always wore cowboy boots)caught his heel on the carpet somehow when he was going by a set of stairs, lost his balance and fell down them.  He was taken to a local hospital and then they could not fly him to the larger hospital about 50miles away, because we had a blizzard starting so they had to take him by ambulance.  Doctors and emt's did all they could but by the time we made it to the hospital he was unconcious.  I was thankful that I was able to still visit with him at the first hospital before they took him to second.  I miss him very much.  Everytime we start harvest in the fall (we farm) I think of him, he loved that time of the year. I know I will see him again someday. My faith has helped me through all of this.
6/18/2011 5:59:00 PM
Rose United States
Rose
Scott, thank you for the letter to your dad and the video.  I loved both.  I first heard the letter on radio and had to read it for myself.  I, too, can relate to losing a dad to cancer.  Altho its been a few years now, I am missing him more this year.  His birthday last month and father's day this month.  I know he has given up much for his children and taught us some valuable lessons, too, but we probably did not notice them until his passing.  Its funny, we take our parents for granted when they are alive and realize what we had after they pass.  God bless you, Scott.
6/20/2011 4:17:56 PM
Terri United States
Terri
Wow.... I simply have no other words
6/21/2011 5:18:01 AM
Dana United States
Dana
Wow. That's simply all I can really say. I can't imagine my life without my father. Thank you Lord for earthly fathers!
6/22/2011 2:46:38 PM
Jackie United States
Jackie
This video was so sweet and sad. I know I'm blessed to still have my Dad. He loves to go camping and if it wasn't for my mom he would forget his underware. Great truibute to Father Day.
Got any tips to ease cold symptoms in your kids?
Sep 08 2010

Got any tips to ease cold symptoms in your kids?

We're heading into cold and flu season. Uugh! Doctors say that there are some simple ways to ease cold symptoms in your kids, such as having them sit upright to ease breathing, using a humidifier and using a bulb syringe to remove mucus (gross!). Got any tips that have worked for you when your kids are sick? Share 'em here!
Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (32) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

8/30/2010 3:15:43 PM
Emi Makohus United States
Emi Makohus
well... i actually AM a kid. My mom has made me do this odd trick when i have a bad to get my criculation flowing. Right beor you go to bed, soak some thick, wool socks in freezing cold water & put them on your feet. It always made me feel fresher when i woke up. Smile hope this tip helps!
8/30/2010 8:22:29 PM
Kandis United States
Kandis
Cant do better then soup chicken noodle. God Bless
8/31/2010 1:23:54 AM
v United States
v
for the sore throats my mom (i am 27) would put lemon and honey in a small saucer/cup and it will ease the sore throat Now my 6 year old daughter says, 'remember when grandma put the lemon and honey for my throat, can i have that?' it works everytime.
8/31/2010 6:24:49 AM
Susanna hegyi United States
Susanna hegyi
According to a good friend, she takes a spoon, adds honey, then a crushed clove of garlic, and then covers it with honey.  She tells her kids that they have to take it joyfully, or they'll get another.

I've tried it for myself, and the cold make a dramatic turn very quickly - usually within the day.  If you have a bad cold and take the garlic and honey too much, you will start smelling like garlic, but it's better then a long drown-out cold.  Smile

Garlic has incredibly powerful immune boosting properties.
8/31/2010 11:25:53 AM
Laura Ponthieux United States
Laura Ponthieux
My daughter is in high school uses Vicks on her feet and chest when she is at home.  For during the school or work day, she buys the tissue with Vicks in it.  She will rest the Vicks tissue on her chest which helps to clear out her nasal passage.  She says that it works great and doesn't have the stickly Vicks on her all day.
8/31/2010 4:26:42 PM
Carol United States
Carol
A couple years ago, I started using colloidal silver when I got the worst case of the flu I had ever had.  After only 4 days, I was back to work!  Since then, I have beat every cold and flu because as soon as I feel that scratchy or dry throat I take some extra doses of silver.  I currently take 1 teaspoon per day as maintenance, adding more doses throughout the day if needed.  You can safely take up to 7 doses (teaspoons) per day, and NO, YOU WON'T TURN BLUE!
9/1/2010 2:35:05 AM
Valerie United States
Valerie
From experience.... garlic, garlic, garlic. what I did was make some chicken noodle soup with at least 1 or 2 cloves of garlic in it (real garlic, not powder) I kid you not, my cold was gone within 2 days!
9/1/2010 2:35:06 AM
heather abregana United States
heather abregana
I swear  vicks shower soothers work wonders! Put it on the floor of your shower and take a nice hot shower!! It will clear up the mucus in your head and chest and relax your body.Also use a humidafier, if you dont have one, keep a pot of low boiling water on the stove.!
9/1/2010 12:40:11 PM
Rachael's Meme United States
Rachael's Meme
What works for me. As soon as I get that little  tickle in my throat I gargle with warm salt water then immediately start on E-mergency. It's a powder packet full of lots of vitamins and nutrients. Just mix with a little water. You can take up to 4 @ day. Gives me a boost of energy and helps relieve my symptoms sooner. Also take about one a week before the cold season starts to boost the immune system.
9/1/2010 10:44:38 PM
Joshua United States
Joshua
My mom usually makes me gargel hot salt water to help my sore throat, for the rest we would just blow our noses until there was nothing left.
9/2/2010 3:46:16 AM
Cheryl Frost United States
Cheryl Frost
Vicks lovers try ~ Peppermint oil, clove bud oil, or spearmint oil.

All it takes is one drop on each temple or defuse it in oil defuser.

I had lung/BREATHING problems and was told I WOULD NEVER BE OFF OXYGEN and not live but 6-9 months. Well this is what I used and lots of prayers.
9/2/2010 8:47:06 AM
Robin Jones United States
Robin Jones
I use Young Living Essential Oils.  Diffuse RC, which is a blend of several oils including peppermint, cypress, lavender, eucalyptus and more.  Also use Ravensara.  You can also apply to the throat,neck, chest, back and feet.  So many great things with essentail oils.  I would not use Vicks because of the petroleum in it.  You can simply use the oils straight or put them in almond, jojoba or vegetable oil prior to applying if your skin is sensitive.  Thieves oil is good for infection as well as melaleuca.  Good luck and thank you for serving at K-Love! Robin
9/2/2010 1:47:59 PM
cecilia banuelos United States
cecilia banuelos
When my kids have a sore throat I give them 1tsp of honey with about three trops of lemon. I give it to them three times a day. The honey helps coat your throat and the lemon kills the infection. It works really good right away. Ican see the difference within one day. My husband in the other hand hates the flavor but, I make him take anywaySmile I hope this tip helps. god bless, cecilia
p.s. honey is not good for infants.
9/2/2010 11:58:10 PM
Hannah Thomas United States
Hannah Thomas
not sure if this would work for kids, but it does for teens and adults.  Get a large mug, pour a little lemon juice in it, then fill it with water.  put it in the microwave and warm it until it's steaming, then put as much honey in as you want.  Stir and drink while it's warm.  The honey soothes the sore throat, and the lemon juice helps to clear the nose.  hope this helps!
9/3/2010 4:59:07 AM
Kathleen Schaertel United States
Kathleen Schaertel
The best thing to help soothe a sore throat is crunchy nachos or potato chips. Someone told me it's because it scrapes the gunk off the back of your throat. I'm not sure the reason, but it almost always works!

PS Mentholatum is better than Vicks because you can put it around a chapped nose and it does not burn!
9/3/2010 10:00:56 AM
Jamie Wagne United States
Jamie Wagne
Hi Kelli - Just a couple of things. People may feel that things with dairy products are helping them, but any and all dairy produces more mucus for your system to deal with.  So stay away from ALL dairy.  Good old chicken broth or chicken soup - the best you can get (organic or truly homemade is best), but even good old Campbells helps too.  The plug in thing is great - just make sure it is plugged in some place close to the bed if it is a large room. Or it doesn't make any sense to plug it in right next to an open door or window where all the vapors will disappear. And very important is Vitamin C and ZINC.  Good quality Echinacea also helps if you start it right away.  Won't help that much if you wait. Water, water, water and NO SWEETENER.  Absolutely NO sweets.  Each & every one takes away from your immune system. More questions - check with your local health food store - the one that sells organic foods.
9/3/2010 3:10:13 PM
jason United States
jason
Bulb suction and chicken noodle soup.
9/4/2010 1:56:20 AM
Heather United States
Heather
I have a co-worker that swears by using Vicks vapor rub on your feet and wearing socks to bed.  I tried it with my toddler last winter, and it worked like a charm!
9/4/2010 7:03:34 AM
Jean-Luc United States
Jean-Luc
Personally, sleep eases it best. . . But, mmm, chicken noodle soup is pretty scwheet when you have a cold!
9/4/2010 5:53:58 PM
Lance Doyle United States
Lance Doyle
Take your kids to the Chiropractor for an adjustment.  Also, vitamin D can prevent the contraction of a cold/flu.
9/4/2010 10:57:19 PM
Sherrill Salom United States
Sherrill Salom
Ok..yeah, homemade chicken soup is THE BEST. The Vicks Shower soothers work, as well as the Vicks kleenex. Like the lady above said, take 'em to school, or stick in your pocket. You have the great smell with no mess.
But the best... bar none, and I've done ALL of the above remedies...drink peppermint tea 3x a day with 3 capsules of standardized echinacea w/each cup, available at Walgreens/Walmart/Target. At the FIRST SIGN of a sore throat or cold, break out the peppermint tea. Kids like it too. DO NOT USE SUGAR of any kind!! Kills the white blood cells, and they are the ones that kill infections. This really works well, believe me. Vit C too, and Vitamin D, but take Vit C in between echinacea. This will work, I promise you.
9/5/2010 4:15:33 AM
Marty United States
Marty
I'd rather answer the question:  How can we avoid colds and flu?  The best way I know is to eat the recommended 9-13 fresh, raw fruits and veggies every day.  That's a lot, but we have found a way to get them the easy way by getting them in capsule and soft chewable form.  We do eat a lot of them, too.  The capsules just bridge the gap between what we eat and what we actually need.  Here's a doctor who recommends them. www.juiceplus.com/nsa/content/RichardDuBois.soa
9/5/2010 9:17:35 AM
Natalia Wesner United States
Natalia Wesner
take a nice hot shower. Wear socks. Chicken noodle soup. And get to bed early.
9/5/2010 9:01:42 PM
Caroline United States
Caroline
When we have colds, earaches, or start coughing, we go see our chiropractor & she adjusts our back & neck. And our colds are gone!Smile
Also, the earaches, & coughing have subsided & eventually go away, without any medications!!Smile
9/7/2010 4:25:31 AM
Tammy United States
Tammy
We use echinacea whenever we feel like we are coming down with something. This is an herb that you can get from a local food co-op. This herb comes in a liquid as well as a pill form.
9/7/2010 6:07:25 PM
jennine minervini United States
jennine minervini
I spent the last 14 months traveling between the east and west coasts for business. Every two weeks I was on an airplane. My doctor suggested taking vitamin c d and zinc eveyday. On the first sign of a cold I doubled the dose. I never missed A flight. I was stranded due to bad weather but I wasn't sick.
God Bless
Jennine
ps hot water with lemon sooths a sore throat
9/9/2010 1:59:08 AM
Corban United States
Corban
Heard you on the radio the other day and heard Vicks mentioned. They Do make cherry flavored Vicks for kids. But I use it anyway. Mmm, smells pretty good.
9/9/2010 1:59:18 AM
Lisa United States
Lisa
Mix equal parts (1cup) local honey and cider vinegar and 2 cups warm water. Mix it well and keep in a container in the fridge. Take a medicine cupful every day, twice to three times  a day if you get sick.
9/9/2010 7:02:04 AM
Corban United States
Corban
My bad! Forget the above. It was cherry Mentholatum.
9/10/2010 4:42:55 PM
Jenny Yeagle United States
Jenny Yeagle
There is an battery operated nasel clearer that my daughter says is marvelous.
9/10/2010 10:01:59 PM
Melissa & Justin United States
Melissa & Justin
We have a one year old who came down with a cold recently, and in desperation because she had SO much mucous that she was having trouble breathing, eating, or drinking, despite all the 'normal' treatments for babies and toddlers with colds, we decided to try out Hylands' Sniffles N Sneezes 4 Kids for her (at a 2 yr old dose as she's ALMOST 2), and it worked WONDERFULLY. It doesn't make the cold go away, pretty much eliminates the symptoms, it's homeopathic and is safe for ANYONE over 2, unlike most cold medications which are not safe for anyone under 4!
9/11/2010 3:31:59 AM
Katie the freshman college student United States
Katie the freshman college student
Hi,
For the past several years I had chronic allergetic rhinitis, which basically means that all throughout the year almost every year I suffered from severe allergies, making it difficult to breathe most of the time. I'm not talking asthma, or throat swelling, or anything like that; I'm talking clogged nasal cavities, costant drainage in the back of my throat clogging my throat, the inability to breathe through my nose, having to sometimes consciously thinking about breathing in order to be able to breathe, knowing exactly where every tissue box in every classroom was, so on and so forth simply because of mucus. I'm talking whenever something goes wrong instead of saying 'dang it!' (or it's alternatives), I would say 'Boogers!' Other people thought that I was just being cutesy and childish with my word choice, when in reality I said 'Boogers' since they were the worst curse of my life and more horrible than the vast majority of people realize. I was a young, healthy, bright student with a vast ammount of potential - but I had to struggle in order to breathe.
So let me tell you, I know many different allergy medicines - the over the counter medicines and the doctor prescribed medicines - much more than anyone on the planet ever should have to know. Something that every parent should know about allergy medicines - decongestants, anti-histamines, and everything else - no matter which type, no matter which brand, your child has an unfortunately high probability of suffering from the following things:
- the allconsuming desire to curl up in a ball and go to sleep, no matter what is happening and no matter what needs to get done
- the inability to get a good night's rest (because virtually every allergy medicine contains stimulants which interfere with the body's natural sleep schedule, even when your child takes melatonin pills (a natural supplement that people who travel by airplanes on a regular basis for business trips take to reset their body-clocks in order to go to sleep) before laying down in a quiet, dark room with their eyes closed on a comfortable mattress in order to get to sleep)
- a feeling as if they want to get done things, but the inability to actually get their things done, almost as if they are trying to move through molases. (which in itself is very fustrating)
- the inability to have will to do anything. I know without a doubt that allergy medicines must have some sort of chemical in them that affects the part of the brain that creates human will. Your child may entirely lack their will and seem to not care about anything after taking allergy medicine.
- a fogginess in their thoughts that is entirely uncharastic of them

I say these things in order to inform parents that they should think twice before ever giving their children any allergy medication. I lived in the greater Houston area - the allergy capital of the world - for my entire life, until about a month ago when I went off to college in a different area of Texas.

The only thing that I have found that always works every time at clearing out my sinus cavities and enabling me to breathe entirely easily, even without affecting my will and thoughts, is Vicks Vapor Rub and the off-brand versions of this product, which are less expensive. Yes, it smells a little funny. No, you SHOULD NOT put it anywhere near the inide of the nose or near the mouth - it specifically says not to on the label for good reasons. The best places to put vapor rub is the very bottom of the chin away from the mouth and away from the nose, as well as on the sternum area of the chest (the area where people wear medium-length necklaces, so not choker neclaces but not long necklaces either).

The bottom line is that medicated chest rub, or vapor rub, will help your children breathe esily after about 5 - 15 minutes without causing any of the negative side effects that come with the allergy medicine that you take orally (pills) and that also come with allergy-relief nasal sprays.

Vapor rub most likely saved my life. I am free from allergy medicines and their negative side effects. I can breathe freely and easily now!!!!!