Sep 21 2010

Dr. Meier on teen depression and suicide

Dr. Meier was our guest today talking about teen depression and suicide. What are the causes? Symptoms? Is there help and hope? Dr. Meier says "Yes!" There is hope! Learn more here: http://www.meierclinics.com/xm_client/client_documents/Happiness_is_Choice-Children__Teens_9-21-2010_KLOV.pdf

Listen to Dr. Meier talk about teen depression here and here.

9/17/2010 9:35:42 AM
magon United States
magon
a girl that went to church with us killed herslef about 2 months ago because of depression/. she was only 23,,, but we know she had professed jesus as her savoir and she now is with him..but it was very sad...and really opened my eyes to keeping watch on my own kids...
9/17/2010 2:45:49 PM
Nancy Bennet United States
Nancy Bennet
So that is that satistic for two parent household? Because think about the single parent families.  I am a single parent who is dealing with her son missing his father.  Father is not in the picture.  So where is the help for us.  The morning dj talked about Chris Tomilin new albam coming out and the proceeds helping the widows and orphans in some country.  What about the widow and orphans here in the US.  I can not get any one to metor my son.  I can't even get help for me.  My social life is non existant.  I wonder if you broke down those satistics most of those are from single parent home.  How sad. Where are the fathers and why are they not doing their job.  Why doesn't any one see what is happening in their own backyard?
9/17/2010 7:48:25 PM
cindy United States
cindy
Please prayer for my 13th year daughter, she was sexual assaulted and now does not like herself, and starting to have problems in school.  I have taken her to counselling but she
refuses to get out of the car.  Thank you.
9/18/2010 5:54:23 AM
Jenna United States
Jenna
thank you for discussing this very hard subject.  i made my first attempt at 16- i was a good student who fell into deep depression, my parents were oblivious.  my last attempt nearly killed me- but Praise God for new beginnings.  i have been stable for 2 1/2 years- and i truly believe healing is possible.  life DOES get better.. it may take a while and take a lot of hard work.  so important for families to be discussing this.  if mine had, maybe i would have gotten help sooner.  but better late than never.  thank you Lord.
9/18/2010 10:55:21 AM
Steven M. Dodd United States
Steven M. Dodd
There is a simple reason for increasing teen suicide. We are spiritual beings and we sense the increasing tension in this world as the end approaches. Part of the pressure is the internet shrinking the world as we become more and more aware of evil. Teenagers and adults are frustrated and afraid as our economy fails due to rampant selfish greed.

We need a walking talking continously praying deep relationship/friendship with Jesus to pass the fear and pressure to Him and receive His peace! Check out more of what Jesus has taught me on twitter at lostinjesus.
9/19/2010 2:11:06 AM
angela United States
angela
The suicide method of choking ones self is not something new. It has been going on for years. I remember hearing about male friends doing that in high school over 20 years ago. Parents need to be aware of this especially if you have a boy. It is a form of releasing sexual tension.
9/19/2010 12:28:28 PM
magon United States
magon
nancy has a very good point....im a single mother as well no other family except my kids...but im greatfull i have a church home that is the family i(we) need.....its hard for single parents..i have 2 girls a 1 boy...there is a guy in our church that picks him up every saterday and takes him to play at the park or just go do guy things...im so blessed to have that...nancy i will pray for you and your family..just keep looking there is assistance out there....also there is big brother big sister corp out there...you can get you child a mentor through them ...GOG BLESS YOU SISTER!!!!
9/21/2010 10:23:46 AM
Deanna Knight United States
Deanna Knight
In 5th Grade I was made fun of a lot, amongst other things, i also didn't have God in my life. Because i was an outcast at a Catholic School i figured "why would i want a God who makes people like this in my life?" I became very depressed and was cutting myself up until 351 days ago. I am 19 and a sophomore in College. It took me a long time to forgive the people in my life who hurt me, but because my sister forced me to go to Youth Group with her my freshmen year of High School i was able to see that Christians are really nice people and i just got a taste of normal grade school hatred. I brought God into my heart Freshmen year of High School and have been fighting off the urge to cut ever since then. I'm finally getting a hold of my life, and letting God be in control. Depression can really take a tole on someone's life. Please, if there is someone in your life that you think is cutting, or not eating, or binging, show them God's love. It can help. Smile
9/22/2010 7:21:01 PM
Lindsay United States
Lindsay
I was listening to this segment of the show on my way home from work the other day and had an urge to comment...
I was depressed for many years, starting in junior high or earlier. I started cutting myself in high school, but hid it well from others. my senior year in high school my parents found out and I started on medication and counseling for depression. I went away to college and started drinking quite a bit. In the spring of my freshman year I overdosed and was in the hospital for 8 days.
Today, I am 23 years old, happily married to my best friend, have a bachelor's degree and a full time job...and I no longer need medication for depression! I could not have gotten where I am today without God's merciful help!
I would urge parents who suspect that their child is depressed or suicidal to talk to them openly. If my parents or friends had been more willing to talk with me about how I was feeling things may have been different. But most of all, I would say to anyone suffering from depression that there IS hope! Because of Jesus there is hope for all of us; we just have to reach out to the Lord and say, "Lord, you steer me because I cannot do it on my own!"
10/4/2010 5:45:59 AM
Смесители Grohe United States
Смесители Grohe
Great website...and cool article man...thanx for the great post...keep on posting such articles... Resources like the one you mentioned here will be very useful to me! I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful.
10/4/2010 7:10:46 AM
Bill Trinidad and Tobago
Bill
I'll put a link to tjis site on my blog.Thank you!