Dec 18 2012

December 18, 2012

NBC Correspondent Richard Engel Freed from Captors in Syria. abc News

Opaque Instagram policy change riles users. abc News

Inspired to help: #26Acts of kindness to honor those lost in Newtown, Conn. NBC News

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (0) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS
Dec 17 2012

Mike Donehey On Newtown, Connecticut Tragedy

SNL gets serious

Tenth Avenue North "Worn"

Responding to the tragedy

Dec 17 2012

How To Help Newtown, Connecticut

How to Help Newtown, Conn., Shooting Victims' Families, Community. abc News

After Friday's deadly rampage at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., that took the lives of 20 children and six adults at the school, many organizations in the area have set up ways to help.

It's Make a Difference Monday!
Oct 04 2010

It's Make a Difference Monday!

It's that time again...time to go MAD! It's Make a Difference Monday! We want to know how you've made a difference lately! Share your story here!

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (28) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

10/4/2010 1:05:49 PM
Brian United States
Brian
My wife has started a ministry here in our town of Dumas TX, that focuses on helping the refugees that have been placed here for their safety. THey have faced "ethinic cleansing" AKA Genocide in their home countries, we have several hundred refugees here. From a soccer ball drive to winter clothes and blankets. We try to make life just a little better and to help them adjust to there new home Smile
10/4/2010 1:06:23 PM
Brian United States
Brian
10/4/2010 1:12:39 PM
Joshua Roberts United States
Joshua Roberts
Hi Scott and Kelly,
Today is make a difference Monday and I want to tell who made a difference in my life this past summer his name is Justin Snow. I met him at Victory Junction Game Camp in Randlmen,NC For special needs kids. You see I have CP I live in Williamsburg,VA. My parents are going through divorce for the past four years and I kinda lost my way with god. I prayed before I went to camp for god to help me through this and then Justin showed up. Thanks
                       Thoughts and Prayers,
                         Joshua Roberts
10/4/2010 1:22:17 PM
Destiny Simon United States
Destiny Simon
My son met this 6'6 120 lbs guy in our complex the kid is 20 and struggling to survive. As a make a difference I gave him money for lunch . He was a little surprised because I normally feed all my sons friends but it felt good to just give him some money I feel so bad for him.

Destiny
10/4/2010 1:22:34 PM
Emily United States
Emily
A week or so ago, I was listening to KLOVE and a lady called in about only going to Starbucks when she could afford to buy a cup of coffee for someone else as well.  Well, I'm a teacher and treat myself every Friday morning by stopping by McDonalds and getting one of their smoothies.  I was sitting in the drive thru that Friday and decided I could pay for the car behind me in line.  It has become a Friday thing for me.  Every Friday I stop for my smoothie and buy the coffee or meal for the car behind me - whatever they order.  At first it threw the manager but now he knows and it flows so smoothly.  I give him a note to pass on to the car behind me and it just says, "I hope you have a blessed day!
~ Emily"
10/4/2010 1:22:35 PM
Leota United States
Leota
I live in a small town and this happened a few months ago, but this goes to show how much this town pulls together.  One of the local restaurants burned and so all the employees were consequently unemployed.  All the other restaurants in town got together and hired all the employees of the burned restaurant so that they would have a job.
10/4/2010 1:23:55 PM
Brandon United States
Brandon
Last night I had the oppurtunity to talk to one of my internet pen pals on Facebook about her violently abusive relationship. I was able to help her develop a plan of escape from her husband. I pray to God that the information that I gave her will work. It is in God's hands. Morely though I hope that her husband will get help. If you are having abusive problems in your relationships or know someone who is check out www.betweenfriendschicago.org/index.html or www.womenshealth.gov/violence/prevent/how.cfm

Through perseverance and support we can end domestic violence of both sexes.
10/4/2010 1:31:24 PM
Joshua Roberts United States
Joshua Roberts
Hi Scott and Kelli,
My name is Joshua Roberts and I want to tell you about this person who made a difference in my life his name is Justin Snow. He and I met at this place called Victory Junction Game Camp At Randalmen,NC For special needs kids.You see I have CP and my parents have been going through a divorce for about four years now and I kinda lost my faith in god. Before I went to Victory Junction I prayed to god to help me through this and he sent Justin to me. God answered my prayer Justin and god are people I can talk to without my parents so that is who made a difference in my life. Thanks
                   Thoughts and Prayers
                    Joshua Roberts
10/4/2010 2:01:50 PM
patrick from pa
patrick from pa
October 3, 2010 – Sunday. On Saturday boy I was struggling. I knew God Almighty wanted me to walk from Perryton Tx to Philadelphia, Pa. I started on Friday in Perryton but was carrying way to much weight and turned back. I know I have to go and do this. I owe God. So Saturday I was sitting in my cave apartment feeling horrible / grieving The Holy Spirit of God because I am outside of his will and off the path and don’t want to go walk but know I have to. I yelled out Jesus I need you know. Then this little girl I think named Miriah came to my door and put something just outside of the door and ran off. I have a glass storm outside door that I can see right thru. I got up opened the door and picked up several pieces of paper left on my welcome mat in front of the door. The letter was addressed as follows:
FROM: The kids next door
To: you
Then there were pictures of 3 crosses, a smiley face and a star. Then it said ‘Look in the inside and the back.
Then came the prayer,” May the Lord stay with you. When I opened the card each one had made their hand print and then drew things light crosses, a heart and stars. Finally at the end was Alexes hand print (holy boy). Inside the letter Alex said ”Thank you for the crossis from Inyssa Alexis Mariah.” I had given them each a glow in the dark cross encouraging them to let their light shine.
Thank you God Almighty Yehwah in Jesus’ name for these children. I repent of doubting you and thank you for the grace they delivered and ask for forgiveness and for not being out there walking right now. Through the mouths of babes comes perfect praise. I ask you Jesus to protect these children and thru them deliver a special blessing to them and their families (Psalm 122:8). Especially bless their parents with peace and appreciation for being a parent especially for getting up each morning and going to work and or preparing breakfast, etc. Please bless Alex’s dad Gilbert today. Help him Lord Jesus.

This past week I was in Perryton, Tx for a conference on The Biblical Principles of Freedom and Destroying satans hold on our lives by Art Matthias from Anchorage, Alaska. One night this lady stood up and confessed an aweful sin. She tried to abort her child while he was in the womb by beating her stomach. She tried to kill him. Well the child is about 20 now and was there with her and Art asked if he understood what his mother was saying. The damage to the boy was obvious. The son, Jake turned to his mom and said,”I love you mom.” Tears started running down my face then I felt it. Jesus healed me and I coughed it out. Thru her confession and repentence she not only was set free from a burden she carried all by herself for 20 years but I was healed also and I hope many others. If God’s children would only humble themselves and  repent, forgive especially themselves and turn back to Jesus He heals us and sets us free. It is amazing. Thank you God our Father in Jesus’ name for this mom’s courage to repent and for Jake’s love for her. Please help all other mothers and dads that have similar burdens get free by confessing them, repenting and receiving forgiveness all in Jesus’ name. Thank you Jesus for my healings. Peace
10/4/2010 2:05:35 PM
patrick from pa
patrick from pa
October 3, 2010 – Sunday. On Saturday boy I was struggling. I knew God Almighty wanted me to walk from Perryton Tx to Philadelphia, Pa. I started on Friday in Perryton but was carrying way to much weight and turned back. I know I have to go and do this. I owe God. So Saturday I was sitting in my cave apartment feeling horrible / grieving The Holy Spirit of God because I was outside of his will and off the path and don’t want to go walk but know I have to. I yelled out Jesus I need you now. Then this little girl I think named Miriah came to my door and put something just outside of the door and ran off. I have a glass storm outside door that I can see right thru. I got up opened the door and picked up several pieces of paper left on my welcome mat in front of the door. The letter was addressed as follows:
FROM: The kids next door
To: you

10/4/2010 2:06:52 PM
Lisa United States
Lisa
My story is not huge or earth shattering but I wanted to share it anyways.  I am in the middle of a bad divorce and my husband has split this family apart, literally.  He and one son have moved back to CA, 1000 miles from us. There are lots of issues, financial, emotional etc. I have been trying to find a full time job as I was a stay at home Mom and we are broke, we have had to watch every penny and it's very difficult as the last 20 years or so we have been very comfortable financially.  The 2 kids with me and myself have moved form a 5000 sf home to a 1500 sf home so LOTS of downsizing.  Keep in mind I do no tknow how I am going to pay rent in November and yet while trying to sell stuff my son wanted to give a bike to a boy down the street who does not have one.  I struggled with this becuase I could really use the $40+- that we could sell the bike for.  I gave in and let my son give this bike to this boy.  Oh my gosh I could hear the boys excited yells and I am 6 or 7 condos away.  He was SOOOOOOO excited to have a bike.  There is no amount of money I could have sold that bike for, to see the joy on my son's face as he brought joy to another child was truly priceless.  I am worried about finances and finding a job but God will provide, I trust that even though I am concerned and I am so grateful I was able to let the bike go.  It was truly amazing!!
Thanks for everything you do!

We volunteered at a concert Sat night and the klove staff that we interacted with were just awesome Smile

God Bless
Lisa
10/4/2010 2:26:50 PM
Kristin United States
Kristin
Not only do I want to share about the difference my husband and I are trying to make, but I would like to ask for help.  Last week, our assistant pastor and worship leader's brother fell on his job and lost his life within 24 hours.  He left behind his wife and 4 children.  Although Luke and I didn't know Troy well, we are close with his brother's.  I found myself not knowing what to do for this family, when God put it on my heart to get a fundraiser started.  Troy's wife not only lost her husband, but was left with such a financial burden.  My husband put this fundraiser together      http://www.giveforward.org/troy-gratehouse-family.  We believe that God will bless this family.  I am now reaching out to the K-Love family to help make a difference.  I believe that with God all things are possible and I am believing that He has led my husband and I to do this.  It is a little hard to send this message.  We don't want any recognition for this, we just want to be obedient and bless this family that has been so deeply wounded by their loss.  God bless and thank you.

Kristin & Luke
10/4/2010 2:37:15 PM
Mary United States
Mary
Sometimes its the small things in life, holding open a door or smiling at someone or visiting at them in the hospital can make a huge difference. Scott,  I recently lost my grandparents this year. One to cancer. I felt my world crumpling down around me, but your story truly helped to see the joy and peace of what is yet to come. Thank you!
10/4/2010 2:37:17 PM
Allison United States
Allison
My neice and I were on the way to my parents' house this afternoon, and decided to stop at Starbucks for a special treat. I was sitting in the drive through, and remembered the video on youtube where Mark Hall and the guys from Casting Crowns went to their local Starbucks and paid for the people in line behind them... i was touched by the video but never really thought about doing it myself. But today, while we were sitting and waiting for our drinks, i looked behind me to see a young mother in a minivan, leaning her head against the window and looking very tired. I thought, now's my time. She needs to be treated today. So i told the guy at the window that i wanted to pay for her, and after the transaction was complete i told him 'just tell her i said to have a great day.' A couple minutes later we were sitting at the traffic light and the white minivan pulled up next to us, and with tears in her eyes she mouthed the words 'thank you'. I smiled, she drove away, and then it was my turn for the tears. Smile It was such an awesome feeling that, even though i don't know what's going on in her life today, and coffee isn't exactly a life changing thing, i was able to help her have a better day.
10/4/2010 2:55:34 PM
Kristin United States
Kristin
Hi, I just tried to post and don't think it worked.  Please forgive me if it did go through.  I don't know that I would say my husband and I are making a difference, but we are sure trying to help a family in need.  Last week our assistant pastor's and worship leader's brother passed away after a fall at work.  He left behind his wife and 4 children.  Although Luke and I didn't know Troy well, we are close friends of his brothers and know what a special man he was.  I found myself just not knowing how I could help, when God put it on my heart to start a fundraiser in Troy's honor in order to help his wife with this financial burden she is now carrying.  It is just heartbreaking that she is having to deal with this sudden loss, and to have the extra reminders of the bills is hard to imagine.  So, my husband started this fundraiser and we are hoping that the K-Love family will help to bless this family.  I am believing that God will bless them with or without my help, but I also want to be obedient to what He is calling me to do.  I thank you for all that you guys do.  God Bless.

Kristin
10/4/2010 3:16:58 PM
Kristen United States
Kristen
My best friend made a difference in my life today. She lives in Spokane, Washington. She used to live 2 blocks away, but got married this June. She flew in and asked me if we could spend some time together this week. I was so glad, because I have missed her terribly.
10/4/2010 4:09:10 PM
Allyson United States
Allyson
I lead a bible study at an assisted living community and one of my residents really inspired me today.  She is in her mid 50's and needs skilled nursing because she was hit by an underage drunk driver last year and is now wheel-chair bound.  What's way cool is that is she not only sent him a letter of forgiveness, professing Jesus love, she has now decided she wants to serve more in the community.  Today is her first day at a local elementary school- she is mentoring at-risk kids!!!
10/4/2010 4:16:10 PM
Crystal United States
Crystal
My neighbor made a big difference in my life yesterday. He mowed my lawn for me. This brought tears to my eyes...it was one less task for me to accomplish on my never ending to do list. My husband has to live out of state all year for graduate school so the "manly" tasks around my home seem to pile up. We have 2 kids that I am constantly running around, and on top of that I am in medical school. Life is incredibly busy for all of us, and it shows me so much kindness that someone noticed and reached out their hand in support. God is great (and so is my neighbor!)
10/4/2010 4:41:47 PM
Miranda United States
Miranda
Hi everyone! It is October, Breast Cancer awareness month. I wanted to spread the word that eveyone can make a difference by shopping just at local stores that donate. My mom and 2 of my aunts were diagnosed and I thank God every single day to have these women in my life still.
Not everyone has family or friends to support and encourage breast cancer patients. So when you purchase an item that says "supports local clinics" that means you help a woman restore her failing dignity by giving her a new wig. Others stores donate to awarness and research like the C.G. Komen for the Cure, which I am walking in with my Mommy, and every woman and girl in my family. We are the Surviving Sisters and all of us can support victims and survivors.
10/4/2010 5:27:26 PM
Gil United States
Gil
Hebrews 10:23-25
Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful; and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near. (NASB)

MAD is a treasure trove inspiring us on toward love and good deeds! Keep it coming!
10/4/2010 5:30:24 PM
Rachel United States
Rachel
Hey Scott and Kelli,
I'm still in high school, my sophomore year. Everyday in math I grab a different calculator, we have the really high-tech ones that you can write stuff on (like a text), and today something in me told me to write "You're beautiful" on the calculator I had. I kind of thought about it and I thought maybe God wanted me to type that because maybe the next girl/boy that picked it up needed a little encouragement. I know that's not a lot of help but maybe, just maybe I lifted someone up today.
10/4/2010 5:36:13 PM
Marci P United States
Marci P
I believe that God puts me in the right place at the right time to be his instrument. I am RN - Nurse Manager OR and I was getting my 32 oz diet dew in cafteria this am when I over heard a older gentlemen asking the person beside me if she could help him. I listen to his request that his daughter was having surgery today and he forgot his insulin at home which was in another state and he was wondering if someone could help. The person beside me didn't know what to do. So I step in and introduce myself and asked where he was from and his physicians name and where he practiced. I told him to go ahead and eat his breakfast and I would look into this. I went to my office and thanks to the internet was able to find his physician with picture and phone number. I then went down to the caferia to find him to confirm this was his physician and then I got his information to call his physicians. I explained that I would be see him in the surgery waiting room with an update. I was able to get a hold of the physician and have his insulin called into our pharmacy. I went and told him that we needed to walk to the pharmacy to pick it up and they needed more information. I got such a blessing doing this and getting to know this man. We picked up his insulin and it needed to be refrigerator and I told him that since he was going to be here all day I would put it in my refrigerator and bring it to him at around 4:30pm to his daughters room. I brought it up to him and he gave me the biggest hug and told me thank you. He will never know the joy that I recieved from taking the time out of busy day to make a difference.
10/4/2010 5:36:39 PM
Duane Cox United States
Duane Cox
My wife and a friend of her she works with met a homeless man in our small town of less than 8000. She was telling me that he was helping the local ladies group plant some flowers on the river front. I met him and talked to him we bought him lunch and we had a tent and  sleeping bag we were not using so we gave it to him. I felt God had brought him into our lives and God wanted us to help him. I challenge the listeners of Klove to "Step out of your comfort zone" and help a homeless person With the way the Economy is it could happen to any of us. We live in a small town in Indiana  not the big city homelessness is everywhere. I told him that I prayed about it and when he got on his feet one of these days Pay It Forward.
10/4/2010 6:29:05 PM
Carter United States
Carter
Hey Scott and Kelli, I really hope you get to read this, because this isn't something that has already happened, but something to come and I need some help! I really could use your guys potential that you have with so many people listening to you daily.  I have this service group call I.M.P.A.C.T. (Innovative Minors Pursuing Active Change Together)  and we need a project idea for Compassion Weekend in two weeks!  We really need something that will glorify God and spark passion in people to serve Christ.  If you could ask this on your show, or ask this on your facebook wall, or even ask your pastors, I would really appreciate! Thanks!
10/4/2010 6:30:06 PM
Stephanie United States
Stephanie
I have to share a cute story.  I am a third grade teacher and our school creed this year is kindness matters.  We say it daily, but haven't truly acted on it until today.  On the way to work today I was reminded of Make a Difference Mon. and I started thinking.  When my kids got to school I could tell some still wanted to be sleeping.  We started talking about how we could make Mondays awesome not just for us, but others as well.  We decided to come up with secret missions for Mondays and that each student is a Secret Agent Do Gooder!  The 3rd graders have our big state test tomorrow, so our first mission was to make encouraging posters for the other classes (and ours as well so we would not blow our cover).  They were so excited!!  We had a couple agents slide the posters under the doors of the other classes.  It was so neat to hear the comments from the others saying how much it meant and listening to them try to figure out who they were from.  The kids want to have a special day every day!  They were already talking about what to do next week.  I hope that my students learn that giving to others is so exciting!
10/5/2010 8:06:52 AM
Lester Eash United States
Lester Eash
Thank-you guys so much. You have been such an inspiration for what God has called me to make a difference. Two years ago I was in India on a missions trip. I met a very humble pastor their.  And know  I have been communikating and helping him build a church thru giving him finances as I can. I also love when you guys talk about getting your eyes of yourself so you can reach out. The has blessed me to be in business with a bunch of Christian where my goal is to get rid of m
10/5/2010 8:22:37 AM
Lester Eash United States
Lester Eash
Thank-you guys so much for what you do. You have been such an inspiration to me on reassuring what I am doing to make a difference. Two years ago I was in India on a missions trip. I met a humble pastor their and he asked me to speak at his church when I was their. I felt God telling me to tell the church that He really wants to grow the church. So ever since the church has been talking about it. So now they are building a new church and the Lord has blessed me so that I could start giving him finances as he provides to get this church built. And thru third God has given me a big vision for them. I also love how you guys talk about how we are so selfish and we need to get our eyes off ourselves so we can reach out. So the Lord has blessed me to be in business with a bunch of Christian men so I can build a business so I don't have a job and theirfore I will be able to reach out to India much more and many others.
10/12/2010 11:11:41 AM
judy harris United States
judy harris
God has done so much in my life using k-love,I cant do with out God, are with out God using K-love right now.But I feel bad because I cant pay money now to support them .But I can help another way I have made up 2000 fliers I am going to Avery church house school store and tell them about K-love.And I want to make A plead to Avery body in San-Antonio And any body that has been Minister by K-love Go make A difference if 2000 people would send K-love money WOW Just thank how many people could be ministered to .