Nov 11 2010

Daddy's Poem...a poem to honor our Veteran's today

Scott shared a poem on the show today that shows the sacrifice that our servicemen and women are willing to make every day. Many have asked for that poem. Here it is:

Daddy's Poem

Her hair was up in a pony tail, her favorite dress tied with a bow. Today was Daddy's Day at school, and she couldn't wait to go. But her mommy tried to tell her, that she probably should stay home Why the kids might not understand, if she went to school alone. But she was not afraid; she knew just what to say. What to tell her classmates of why he wasn't there today. But still her mother worried, for her to face this day alone. And that was why once again, she tried to keep her daughter home. But the little girl went to school eager to tell them all. About a dad she never sees a dad who never calls. There were daddies along the wall in back, for everyone to meet.

Children squirming impatiently, anxious in their seats One by one the teacher called a student from the class. To introduce their daddy, as seconds slowly passed. At last the teacher called her name, every child turned to stare. Each of them was searching, a man who wasn't there. "Where's her daddy at?" She heard a boy call out. "She probably doesn't have one," another student dared to shout. And from somewhere near the back, she heard a daddy say, "Looks like another deadbeat dad, too busy to waste his day." The words did not offend her, as she smiled up at her Mom. And looked back at her teacher, who told her to go on.. And with hands behind her back, slowly she began to speak. And out from the mouth of a child, came words incredibly unique. "My Daddy couldn't be here, because he lives so far away. But I know he wishes he could be, since this is such a special day. And though you cannot meet him, I wanted you to know. All about my daddy, and how much he loves me so. He loved to tell me stories he taught me to ride my bike. He surprised me with pink roses, and taught me to fly a kite. We used to share fudge sundaes, and ice cream in a cone. And though you cannot see him. I'm not standing here alone. "Cause my daddy's always with me, even though we are apart I know because he told me, he'll forever be in my heart"

With that, her little hand reached up, and lay across her chest. Feeling her own heartbeat, beneath her favorite dress. And from somewhere there in the crowd of dads, her mother stood in tears. Proudly watching her daughter, who was wise beyond her years. For she stood up for the love of a man not in her life. Doing what was best for her, doing what was a right. And when she dropped her hand back down, staring straight into the crowd.. She finished with a voice so soft, but its message clear and loud. "I love my daddy very much, he's my shining star. And if he could, he'd be here, but heaven's just too far. You see he is an American Soldier and died just this past year When a roadside bomb hit his convoy and taught Americans to fear. But sometimes when I close my eyes, it's like he never went away." And then she closed her eyes, and saw him there that day. And to her mother's amazement, she witnessed with surprise. A room full of daddies and children, all starting to close their eyes. Who knows what they saw before them, who knows what they felt inside. Perhaps for merely a second, they saw him at her side. "I know you're with me Daddy," to the silence she called out.

And what happened next made believers, of those once filled with doubt. Not one in that room could explain it, for each of their eyes had been closed. But there on the desk beside her, was a fragrant long-stemmed pink rose. And a child was blessed, if only for a moment, by the love of her shining star. And given the gift of believing, that heaven is never too far.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (8) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

11/11/2010 5:13:54 PM
Ann United States
Ann
This was awesome.  It says much more than mere words can say.
God bless our troops.
11/11/2010 5:20:32 PM
Theresa United States
Theresa
OMGosh......I grew up without a dad all my life so getting close to God was kinda tough. got into drugs and lots of trouble. Never really did veterans day make much of a difference to me at all. Then when I got into recovery, the VA (Veterans Affairs Program) has a huge recovery population and I started to honor and respect these men.

But this poem.......driving home I heard you read it on the radio. I have recently experienced what a healthy family looks like by going to the family service at church. At firs all it did was make me cry cause I never had a REAL family. And this poem......goodness, now that I can feel today and know they won't kill me. I have yet an even closer idea of what a healthy family would be like. What a beautiful little girl, yes wise beyond her years. She at her little young age has taught me sooooo much with her simple poem, and I can tweek it for me and my dad (Jesus).

Keep up the good work KLOVE, it sure beats all those other radio stations that are NOT positive and/or encouraging.

thanks
11/11/2010 5:55:17 PM
Susan Woodman United States
Susan Woodman
Dear Scott and Kelly,
Thank you thank you for that beautiful poem.  I loved it.  I was just arriving home from work when you started it.  I really cried and had to look for this poem.  It is sooooo great.  Thank you for sharing it with me.  I just reread it.  It is so beautiful.  It is a wonderful way to remember a Veteran.  I am a Veteran and I never had to go into a war, but I feel for these children that have lost loved ones.  God Bless
11/11/2010 10:32:40 PM
Algernon de Jesus United States
Algernon de Jesus
Thanks for the beautiful poem.
11/11/2010 11:11:08 PM
navy daughter United States
navy daughter
Not only does this poem speak of our soldiers and the lives that are lost so that we the people can be free, it also reminds us that not only the soldier serves. I am the daughter of the navy. My parents both served this country. My sister and I rarely saw our father as his position kept him gone 90% of the time. We served and sacrificed every moment that he did, til the day we learned he would never come home. My mother retired shortly after I was born so that I would know at least one of my parents. I know first hand what it is like when the people forget what soldiers and their families sacrifice every day just so they have the FREEDOM to say how they don't support our men and women in uniform. So was it worth my fathers life, my best Jessica's dad and Sarah's mom so that they can protest? You be the judge. As for me I understand and support all the families that are a part of the armed forces of the united states of America and pray that one America will truly wake up and remember her heritage. For you reading this could not without the blood and tears of the service members and their families have your freedom.
11/12/2010 6:33:05 AM
Candice United States
Candice
Thank you so much for this poem. It is a very heart warming poem. My 11 yr old daughter and I heard this while going to our church and she told me she wanted to read this poem in church on Sunday to the congregation. What a blessing! This poem touched both me and my daughter.
11/12/2010 9:08:04 AM
Grace McNeely United States
Grace McNeely
I haven't seen my dad in years but when i hear this poem I pulled the car over and called him. I told him that I love him and that i miss him.
Thank you for reminding me of what sometime I take for granted. God bles our soldiors and God bless K Love
11/14/2010 5:52:42 PM
Jim Gray United States
Jim Gray
Scott & Kelly,

I am an almost 64 year old veteran and when Scott read the poem I was on my way home from work.  So touching.  I cried because, I am a Veteran from the Viet Nam War and things were alot different then.  Being military was not appreciated and we were called all kinds of names and even spit on, but some how this poem has made it all meaningless of what happened to me.  I can visually see a little girl in front of her class and saying this.  There are many courageous kids in this world that thankfully do not let the adults get the upper hand and judgemental.  Thank you so much for making this old man very happy on a day that remembers all thoses that have served this Nation.

May GOD continue to use KLOVE to bring the lost, the hurting close to HIM and to let everyone know that there are those that really do care and love them.

In The Name Of JESUS CHRIST,