Nov 22 2010

Happy Make a Difference Monday!

It's Make a Difference Monday! We love hearing what you've been doing to make a difference in the lives of those around you. Perhaps someone has done something for you? Share your ideas here and together, we can make a difference!
Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (14) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

11/22/2010 12:19:15 PM
Heaven Duvall-Cox United States
Heaven Duvall-Cox
In the last month there have been two suicides in our little community. Both of which were teenagers who attended the local high school. One of the families attends our church and it has been so hard to see them going through this. After the last suicide on Wednesday, I decided we couldn't stand around and not do something. So I called all of the churches in the phone book and we are meeting tonight at the high school in the parking lot to pray for these families and these students. I hope a lot of people come and that our involvement doesn't end here. These kids need us. We have to make a difference in their lives before it's too late.
11/22/2010 1:10:36 PM
Rose Taylor United States
Rose Taylor
I bought someone a bottle of water for a teacher of mine because she was feeling really sick and and was coughing because of a dry throat!
11/22/2010 2:24:52 PM
Courtney United States
Courtney
I reconected with my highschool English teacher. I was in her last class before she retired. I emailed her telling her thank you for being such a great teacher!
11/22/2010 2:28:47 PM
Susan United States
Susan
I decided to begin the 40 day "Love Dare" with not only my husband but my children as well.  this is a process, in hopes that I will grow and become a better wife and mother and person. The beginning of the week and 40 days left till the new year this is a good time to begin.
11/22/2010 2:30:21 PM
Chris Lily United States
Chris Lily
My husband of 27 years went home to be with the Lord last month.  Our 2 daughters left for college in different states in August.  One a senior, the other a freshman.  I wasn't prepared for my empty nest to include my entire family all at once.  Only one girl can make it home for Thanksgiving.  She and I were invited to share the holiday with her fiance's family.  I would suggest that you could make a huge difference by asking anyone from church, work, school or your neighborhood who would otherwise be alone for Thanksgiving to come join your family to celebrate.
11/22/2010 3:12:22 PM
Patti United States
Patti
I work for a shopping center management company (72 malls) and am THE point person for public relations during the holidays. You can imagine, it's quite frenzied! This morning, as I was nearly overwhelmed, my co-workers brought me a peppermint mocha from Starbucks. Then, later, the same co-workers ordered, picked up and delivered me lunch while I was on a conference call. They nearly had me in tears. I was so grateful that they were so kind to take such good care of me today. I'm incredibly thankful for the amazing people I am blessed to work with every day. Happy Thanksgiving.
11/22/2010 3:20:33 PM
Christi United States
Christi
Every year around the holidays, I make up bags of candy and attach the scripture "Taste and see that the Lord is good" and add the note "Thank you for serving our family during this holiday season"  and hand them to the cashiers I encounter during the stressful shopping season. It is such a joy to see the look of surprise and sometimes tears that comes to their eyes when they are shown appreciation instead of the usual aggrivation from disgruntled shoppers !  I love doing this and have even gotten hugs in return from complete strangers.  It truly is better to give than receive.
11/22/2010 3:53:33 PM
Lindsey United States
Lindsey
I just wanted to share a MAD moment I had today.  On my way into the grocery store, I had a short conversation with the bell ringer about the cold weather we're having...On my way out, I stopped by the Starbucks stand in the store and purchased a hot apple cider for the bell ringer.  It made his day...and mine!
11/22/2010 5:29:09 PM
Kirsten United States
Kirsten
I have been talking to my roommate about God and helping a friend that is a young teen deal with the suicide at his high school and praying for him. I have been showing him more about what it means to follow God. Also, I am getting involved with the junior high youth group at a church near my campus and sharing God's love with others on campus.
11/22/2010 6:24:24 PM
Mary Kobeluch United States
Mary Kobeluch
This being Monday, I work at Catholic Charities and pick up bread for the needy from a local grocery store. I had just lost a PT job(lasted only 3 wks) and was feeling a little sad but thought to myself “ God, I know you are going to show me something today that will remind me of how great you are”.
When I got to Catholic Charities, there was no food on the shelves and nothing packed for families that would show up. One man asked if we had any peanut butter, and I had to tell him no. It broke my heart. I said a quick prayer to God saying “You can’t leave these people with nothing; they came to us for help. 20 minutes later two women showed up and had boxes and bags of food. It took them 20 Minutes to unload the items. I just said “Thank you God! Praise the Lord.” That reminded me that, no matter what…. Our God is there and can change any situation in a moment’s notice. So He will for me, when the time is right.
11/22/2010 6:24:52 PM
Mary Kobeluch United States
Mary Kobeluch
11/22/2010 6:25:50 PM
Mary Kobeluch United States
Mary Kobeluch
11/22/2010 9:02:51 PM
Denny United States
Denny
I volunteer at FAME, a Christian medical mission organization that collects and ships medical supplies and a connection to Christ around the world. Two weeks ago we loaded a 40 ft cargo container that is going to Honduras, and this week we shipped one to Sierra Leone. I am so blessed to be a part of this wonderful mission. Check it out at www.fameworld.org.
11/23/2010 5:55:12 AM
Ryan United States
Ryan
My wife has been MAD for the last two months. She and my 5-year-old have been knitting and collecting hats for the kids with cancer in Kentucky: 150, for the 150 kids diagnosed with cancer in Kentucky each year. They started not quite two months ago, and they have reached their goal! They will be delivering that hats to the Children's Hospital on Thanksgiving Day. Check out the story behind Project 150 here: twomomsltd.blogspot.com/.../...pe-project-150.html