Aug 02 2012

90-Year-Old Man Gets Olympic Record

Man, 90, grabs his own Olympic record: He's been to 18 games. TODAY

Unlike the thousands of Olympic athletes hoping to publicly smash records this week, Harry Nelson has quietly spent his life setting his own.

For this 90-year-old, his reward won’t be a gold medal, but a spot in the Guinness World Records for attending the most summer Olympic games. London marks his 18th time as an Olympic spectator.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (1) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS
Aug 02 2012

London Mayor is a Web Star

Watch out for the sharks! London mayor becomes Web star. TODAY

One man's misfortune is another's Internet meme.

Hours after London Mayor Boris Johnson became stuck on a zip-line, online jokesters added him to a variety of strange places. Johnson even joined the TODAY team!

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (0) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS
Aug 02 2012

Diet or Exercise

Diet or Exercise: Which is Better for Losing Weight? Shine from YAHOO!

One way I make it through my work out when I'm huffing and puffing on the treadmill is to tell myself that after it's all over, I can reward myself with a little extra food. That's because exercise revs up metabolism, right? Wrong. For years the common refrain from fitness gurus and diet books has been that if you exercise regularly you'll keep torching those Big Macs all day long--and even at night ("It's a miracle! Lose weight while you sleep!").

The "boost your metabolism" chorus makes many people scratch their heads when they start an exercise program and step on the scale a few weeks later to discover their weight hasn't budged, or maybe they have even gained a pound or two. (Read more)

How Have You Made A Difference?
Nov 29 2010

How Have You Made A Difference?

Today is Make A Difference Monday! A chance for you to find someone to make a difference for! We would love to hear what you have done to Make A Difference...or What someone has done that has a made a difference in your life? What's Your story???
Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (10) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

11/29/2010 1:44:14 PM
Andrea United States
Andrea
Yesterday in church someone I only met a couple of times came up to me after church and handed me an envelope.  The envelope said This money was already in GODS hands. He told me to pass it along to you.  I'm sure you know why.  GOD BLESS YOU.

In this envelope was $100.00 dollars.  I just wept right there in church.  This money meant so much to my husband and I because he just received his last SDI check.  He has a serious medical condition and is unable to work.

This person really blessed us. GOD really does use people to let us know that he does hear our prayers.  What a wonderful GOD we have.
11/29/2010 2:10:36 PM
paul fleming United States
paul fleming
can you play what love really mean
11/29/2010 3:07:04 PM
mikayla United States
mikayla
i've never done this before but is this where i was supposed to go where i could suggest the song that Jonny Diaz would sing? I would like to hear him sing "Noelle" (I think that's what it's called anyway) God bless
11/29/2010 3:14:09 PM
Leota United States
Leota
Last Wednesday I was going to work and had to stop at Walmart to get some things.  When I drove in I saw a homeless gentleman sitting next to the tourist information building in the Walmart parking lot.  It was -5 and he was trying to get out of the wind.  I did not have time to take him somewhere, but I gave him $5 and a christian track and told him to go inside and get something to eat and get warm.  The smile on his face and his thank you made me want to cry.  As I drove off I saw him reading the track that I had given him.  I was so blessed.  Every day I pray that the Lord will give me a Divine appointment to show someone how much Jesus loves them and He definitely answered my prayer that day.

God Bless
Leota
11/29/2010 3:20:52 PM
Crystal United States
Crystal
Last year in July was when someone made a huge differance in my life. I met this guy named Adam and he would always talk about his church and helping out at the youth group there. Well he introduced me to Christ. On New Years day on 2010 at 3 a.m. he even baptised me. And the greatest thing of all is on March 27, 2010 I married him. He met me and we fell in love and threw him I fell in love with Jesus Christ. Ill never be able to thank him enough.
11/29/2010 3:25:32 PM
Tonya United States
Tonya
At church I oversee the programs for the families who have children with special needs and part of what I do is to lead a support group for the parents. So while I know most people are grateful and are appreciative but in the midst of her incredible pain and confusion, she took the time to thank me for helping her through this very dark time in her life. It brought tears to my eyes!
For me that was like Jesus was touching me, to encourage me and thanking me!
11/29/2010 3:34:45 PM
Cheryl United States
Cheryl
I'm very thankful and greatful that my husband, daughter Savannah (14) and myself were blessed enough to buy food and prepare dinner for about 13 (50 people) plus families at a ranch in yamhill called 5 Rock.  5rockranch.com is a ranch for the fatherless and houses single mothers and their children.

Over the last year and a half my husband has not been able to work steady just a job here and there.  It's our nature to give so it's been a difficult year and a half barely making ends meet but God has provided and met all our needs.

We started going out to this ranch a couple of months ago and then my husband started getting steady work so he had suggested that we cook dinner for the families at the ranch my daughter and I were very excited about it.

We were so blessed, we bought all the fixings for a bountiful Thanksgiving, we prayed that there would be enough food and when it was all said and done there was more than enough food for several meals.  Another family joined with us that day and helped us cook and serve the food, I would have to say I believe it was the best Thanksgiving ever!
11/29/2010 3:41:18 PM
Wanda United States
Wanda
Someone has made a difference in my life and I wanted to honor her, her name is Donna.  I have been struggling these last 2 weeks without a vehicle..long story.  Still trying to get it fixed Smile Donna asked if I needed a ride to church and I said yes.  After church they gave me a ride home. They were in a rush to get to another engagement but as I was getting out of the car she gave me a lunchbox and an envelope.  When i got settled i found a whole chicken and all the fixings for dinner.  In the envelope was an invitation for Thanksgiving dinner and $100 for vehicle repairs, and to take me shopping once a week and she would pay for them for the next 2 months..i could not believe it. I was so shocked  I cried for 1/2 hour I was soo surprised and blessed that God showed himself through someone with skin on.  I pray God blesses her 10 fold for being a blessing to me.  I will pay forward when I get on my feet!!!!
11/29/2010 4:19:04 PM
Doug Knight United States
Doug Knight
I manage a call center.  It is not your typical call center, though.  It is a call center for clients who are on public assistance, like Medicaid and Food Stamps.

I would like to suggest that most of my workers and our state worker conterparts in our state and every state of the US make a difference each day.

They talk with people who are experiencing financial or health issues. Many of the clients they work with are frustrated and discouraged. I hear them talk with the caller with compassion, understanding and much, much patience.

It takes a special gift to do what these folks do all day long, five or six days of the week.  They are seldom thanked or appreciated for what they do.  By showing up each day, they demonstrate an above average caring heart.

So, I would like to take this time to show my appreciation and encourage KLove to join me in acknowledging that their work really makes a difference in so many lives every single day.
11/30/2010 1:17:11 PM
Rose Taylor United States
Rose Taylor
K-love has MAD in the last year. This is our 1 year anniversary of the death of my Grandma. I listened to K-love when she was in the hospital and after she died. I miss her very much!! two songs that i heard over and over during those long months were "The voice of truth" by Casting Crowns" and "The untitled hymn" by Chris Rice. I had the privaledge to take her place in a choir which was singing in Carnegie Hall. We sing the same parts. I thank the lord that she is in a better place now! I thank K-love for being on 24/7. It helped alot!