Jan 31 2011

How have you gone MAD lately?!

It's Make a Difference Monday! What have you been up to lately to make a difference? Has someone done something really cool that encouraged you? Tell us about it!
Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (10) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

1/31/2011 2:09:22 PM
Bob United States
Bob
Love make a difference Monday.  I always say that when I get to the end of my life, I am not going to look back and say I wish I watched more TV.  As Christians, we need to step out of our living rooms and find ways that God will use us for eternal purposes.  As James stated, faith without works is dead.  For me and my wife, God has given us a real burden for orphaned kids and "homeless" animals.  We've rescued two ex-racing greyhounds, have adopted one child and are working on adopting a second child.  We've also started a Christian-based non-profit that provides grants to adoptive families, which will ultimately encourage others to adopt orphaned children.  Not only are our actions directly impacting the most needy of this world, but is a testimony of God's love that makes an impact on the non-Christians that I am around daily.
1/31/2011 2:11:27 PM
Stefanie Boyce
Stefanie Boyce
Save a child’s life with a simple vote.

The Boyce family, Beach Park, IL, received news no parent wants to hear Oct 09. Both children, Jayden, 4, and Brooklyn, 1, will die from a rare genetic disorder in their teen years, called Sanfilippo. Sanfilippo (MPSIIIA) currently has no treatment or cure. Their little bodies can’t break down hephran sulphate, a sugar the body naturally makes and stores primarily in the central nervous system and brain. Over time, their bodies loose all function and developmentally they never progress past the age of two. Because of the rare nature of the disease, effecting 1 in 70,000 children, it is not profitable for pharmaceutical companies to invest in research. It becomes the sole responsibility of loved ones to raise money for research. However, the Boyce’s are part of a parent organization, Team Sanfilippo Foundation, who is currently in the running for a $250,000 grant through the Pepsi Refresh Project to fund gene therapy research.

There are three ways to vote and you can help the family by simply casting votes and telling friends to do the same.

Text 105582 to the number 73774.

Go to www.refresheverything.com/curesanfilippo . Create a profile and vote with all e-mail and facebook accounts you have.

You can also search refresh everything on facebook.

Voting ends January 31, at midnight. To learn more about the Boyce family, visit http://www.buildwiththeboyces.com/

1/31/2011 3:16:12 PM
Cierra Kohlman United States
Cierra Kohlman
I think that sporks are really cool!!! Go Sporks!!!!!!
1/31/2011 3:48:20 PM
Elizabeth United States
Elizabeth
I hope everyone starts appreciating the snow, because the more complaints I hear the more I'll pray that God helps people to learn to appreciate the snow more. Here in Utah we get a lot of snow. We've been hit with blizzards where a lot of stores closed early, and we've had the big fun show flakes that make you want to go out and dance in it. we've also had the small sparkle glitter snow. Go Dance in the snow when it's not too blizzardy and when it is too blizzardy stay home and after it finishes up take your kids out in the snow get some exercise build a snowman, snow fort or have a snowball fight, or just make a snow angel. or do something super crazy and make a barefoot print and hand print and sign and date it. I believe God gives us snow not only for the water it provides us in the hot months but for the kids to enjoy, and for the grown ups to be reminded of how fun being a kids is.
1/31/2011 3:57:31 PM
Elizabeth United States
Elizabeth
PS. I hope that makes a difference in the way you think about snow.
1/31/2011 4:55:38 PM
marvin h. cummings sr United States
marvin h. cummings sr
Ok my story is my wife is hospitalized. In two different hospitals. On January 11th she was transfered to KU Med in Kansas City. I have met alot of people with loved ones in the hospital. My wife was in ICU and they have rules that in morning and evening 7 to 8:30 no family can be with them in the area. I have met while waiting on time to get back with my wife. I have prayed for them and their families. While getting my dinner one night there was a lady that had a little one near where we are from and when he was born in Topeka they life flighted the little one to KU Med. The mother couldnt stay with her baby in the NICU. The baby was born with a hole in the heart. The mother was short some change to get her meal I gave it to her. I felt I had to help her out even thought I too was going through a very rought time.
2/1/2011 5:26:30 PM
Lauren United States
Lauren
Doing the smallest things can make a difference... like giving a little boy a lolipop... I was in a big crowd once, and saw a little boy in front of me. He was about 3 years old. He looked like he needed something to cheer him up. I had my pockets stuffed with candy. So I pulled out a lolipop and handed it to him. Seeing his big smile brightened my day and the lolipop probably brightened his day. Every time I saw him, he would give me a big grin. Laughing
2/1/2011 5:53:07 PM
Christina United States
Christina
I was talking to my friends today at school, telling them about mad; make-a-difference- monday. and they all love the idea of trying to make a difference! As a group our little joke is go mad on mondays. Stay Crazy for god! We were in the hallway before class, and as we talked about this, more people became interested in our topic. We told each new person about klove, about going mad for jesus, and about his  never ending love. Their questions were endless, so we talked right in the smack dab middle of the hallway, it was like for the moment, nothing else mattered! I really knew gods presence was among us. As more people, joined our conversation, they would grab their friends as they walked by, and as we talked we ended up praying over 23 people before 5th hour, and i know 3 people excepted god in their heart. So know within our daily lives, as we struggle, we know that theres always someone to go mad for us and help us stay conected  to our loving father--jesus crhist!
2/1/2011 8:00:52 PM
Katie United States
Katie
I am a social worker. Ironically, I am writing about an extraordinary client of mine. This man has cognitive disabilities, is homeless, and has no income. I pick him up once a week and assist him with applying for housing. He volunteers at the local food bank twice a week, even though he is ineligible to receive any himself. He has battled cancer off and on for several years and currently has no health insurance. Each time I see him, he has a warm smile and is the most polite person you could ever meet. He even asks to stop at the grocery store and will use his food stamps to buy me a meal and tell me how much he appreciates my help. This man is such a hero. I pray that I could learn from and follow his example of selflessness!
2/10/2011 3:28:05 PM
Logan United States
Logan
I had someone make a difference for me today. I was on my way to school and already running late. I was going a little too fast on a snow-covered residential street and when I tried to turn onto a main street, my car wouldn't brake. So I turned my wheel toward the curb instead of risking taking the turn and getting hit. I drove straight into the snow and my car would not move an inch. I didn't have a shovel or anything. But God gave me grace, because almost instantly a good Samaritan pulled up behind me and got out of his truck. He had a tow rope with him! I was out of there in no time, it was a miracle. I was only two minutes late to class! So thank you, God, for all of those good Samaritans out there, and thanks for giving mine a tow rope and a truck.