Mar 14 2011

The Afters interview

Listen to our interview with The Afters ("Light Up The Sky") and let us know how their music has impacted you!

How they got their name:

The story of "Light Up The Sky":

Collection of stuffed animals:

Life on tour:

The Afters talk about their ancestry:

The story behind "Lift Me Up":

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (21) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

3/14/2011 2:41:35 PM
Sam United States
Sam
I was at the rock and worship road show in fresno last night and it was absoulutely amazing. Comming froma small town to see that many people praise god was absolutely FANTASTIC!! I loved it when all of the bands would come up to the stage and just dance and have a good time! Thank you for your fantastic music I definately enjoyed!!!

-Sam
3/14/2011 2:42:43 PM
Debbie Duren United States
Debbie Duren
After hearing your comment about the young adults in Europe confirms my desire to work towards going overseas on a mission trip.  I also have family in Germany and it hurts to see so many beautiful churches that are empty week after week.  I know my own family is hungry for the Word!!  Thank you for your hearts and your music.
3/14/2011 2:44:08 PM
Kyle Beard United States
Kyle Beard
I absolutely love "Light Up the Sky!" That song is so powerful because it is so inspiring and moving. I get chills every time I listen to it. It makes me feel so loved by GOD because He is Light and in Him there is no darkness. I know that GOD will always be there for me, my family, and anyone who needs Him because GOD is so lovingly generous with His love and Light. Thanks for the song!
3/14/2011 3:00:53 PM
Richard United States
Richard
Hey guys,

I was at the concert last night, I absolutely loved your energy! Your music definitely impacted the group I was with, and one of my friends made a decision to rededicate her life to the Lord! Thanks for all you do!
3/14/2011 3:01:05 PM
Lori Kamlade United States
Lori Kamlade
You guys are awesome. The Roadshow in Fresno was amazing last night.
Thank you so much for a wonderful evening of unconditional worship and praise.
3/14/2011 3:04:03 PM
Anela United States
Anela
I just recently discovered your band, and I just want to say that I love your music!!! It's blessed me so much.
3/14/2011 3:17:35 PM
Bekah United States
Bekah
Hey I was at the Rock and Worship Roadshow in Phoenix and it was AMAZING!!!! I really felt God with me while you were playing.I met you after and you were nice to me and I loved the whole experience.I also really love your music!
3/14/2011 3:34:44 PM
CHristy Herron United States
CHristy Herron
I too was at the Roadshow last night in Fresno!! I love your song light up the sky!!! All I can was cry when I hear it!! It is so awesome that God is always with us!!! Wow!!!It was so great to have over 15,000 people in the same building Praising God!!! It should be called The WOW Roadshow!!!
3/14/2011 3:34:59 PM
Barb United States
Barb
This was the first time I have heard of you, My one year old Daughter (Joy) and I are folding clothes and Listening to K Love! She started dancing and clapping her hand's!! You have two new fan's! God's Blessing to you! Your song was Awesome!!! <><
3/14/2011 3:35:02 PM
Stacey Newkirk United States
Stacey Newkirk
we were at the Sacramento Rock and Worship Roadshow....So amazing to be in such a huge building with that many believers. I love the energy and really enjoyed your music. God bless you and your families.
3/14/2011 3:35:04 PM
Kay Stagg United States
Kay Stagg
To begin with, KLOVE keeps me sane.  Sometimes life just really stinks, and it has been that way for me lately.  AFTER's song, Light Up Sky comes on, and it is absolutely like it is for me!  GOD in his infinite mercy lights up the sky everyday...all for me. For little old sinful, stubborn, gimpy me he does that.  I take it very personally. WOW!  It is such a high I cannot explain.
3/14/2011 3:35:53 PM
Luke United States
Luke
I love The Afters music, I was just at the Roadshow in Sacramento the other night and I was led into such great worship by you guys. Being a worship leader in Vacaville, I know what it takes to surrender all the glory to the God who gave us the ability to play, and I thank you for doing just that during your performance. Maybe someday I will open for you. God bless you guys and Penga on your adventures around the country. Talk to you later.

Luke Eldredge
3/14/2011 3:39:24 PM
Courtney United States
Courtney
You guys are amazing, I've loved your music for awhile now but I got to see you play for the first time in Lubbock, TX. I went through an abusive marriage and then another abusive relationship, and your songs really encouraged me. As I was listening to Light Up the Sky one night, a meteor shower happened. Greatest feeling in the world!
3/14/2011 3:42:44 PM
Briana United States
Briana
We're gonna light it up like it's dynamite!
I had the privilege of seeing The Afters at the Save Mart Center last night in FresYES! Guys, I just want to say thank you so much for what you do. Your music is amazing. Josh, your story about your experience on good Friday touched my heart. Hearing you talk about the miraculous cries of your children was incredible. Thank you for that. The Lord is so good and it's awesome to hear other stories about His work. A quick story... A few weeks ago, my family and I were driving back home from the mountains after going snowboarding...I was in the back seat with my eyes closed and your song Light Up the Sky came on. We were driving through fog and it was very overcast. The very first time the chorus played, the sun shone through all the gloom, so bright that I could see it even with my eyes closed. I just sat there with a smile on my face. The Lord is so good. Thank you, The Afters, for what you do. You guys are incredible. Smile
3/14/2011 3:44:17 PM
bridget United States
bridget
Hi, I'm Bridget and ten i listen to Klove all the time the afters are my favorite band. I saw them last night a the Rock and Worship concert in freyes(freno) they really lifted my heart!
                PEACE
                LOVE
               THE AFTERS
3/14/2011 3:45:51 PM
Kiana United States
Kiana
Hey, guys! I love your music!!

A couple of days ago, I was listening to Light Up the Sky. I looked up from some homework I was doing, and rightin the middle of the clouds, there was a break letting the late-afternoon sun stream down in beams. I started crying!

Thank you so much for all your work. I am fifteen, and a worship leader for a church of 30. I compose music, too, and can't wait for a CD to come out. Smile

Penga: You might want to lay off the coffee, missy!

Keep up the awesome yeilding!
~Kiana
3/14/2011 4:01:10 PM
David Cooley United States
David Cooley
As a grandfather, I would like to lovingly respond to something Josh said when talking about the accident he and his family were involved in.  He said, "It wasn't our time, but if it had been our time, it would have been alright.  He seemed to imply that God sometimes takes us out through car accidents.  Now I hope I am wrong about what Josh was thinking, but too often I find this thinking among well meaning church people. Nothing could be further from the truth.  God is a loving father.  Accidents can and do happen.  Tornadoes happen, lightening strikes the earth, but God does not cause these things to happen to kill people.  The religious idea that has been foisted upon the church is that God is soveriegn over everything that happens.  Bus God's will is not always done upon the earth; else why would Jesus tell us to pray that God's will be done on earth.  God does not have two wills for you.  His will is that you prosper, be healthy and strong.  His will is that you be happy and blessed, favored and lack no good thing.  God is a loving father.  Jeremiah 29:11 "I know the thoughts and plans I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts and plans for welfare, and peace, and not for evil, to give you hope and a promise."  I hope this will be of help as you discuss such things with the family of God.
3/14/2011 4:07:23 PM
Dinah Feinberg United States
Dinah Feinberg
Your song "Light up the Sky" has touched my life in a special way.It has been a rough winter for me and my remaining family.My daughter gave birth to a baby boy in October and everytime I made the long journey out to her place in the country outside of K.C.,your song would come on the radio and lift me up,relax me, and help me to feel that the presence of God was with me.It made a connection for me and kept me going on track. If I am at a stop signal or pause, I usually blast the song from my car stereo! I'm sure some of the people around me think I'm being obnoxious...but I can't help myself! The song means something special to me.....
3/14/2011 6:23:02 PM
Nancy Pitsch United States
Nancy Pitsch
A young couple ready to start a family, travel to China as missionaries received news of inoperable brain cancer instead. Making the trip from my home to my daughters, then traveling into Chicago each day for her treatments (400 miles round trip each day)stretched across summer thunderstorms, harvest moons, gray winter skies. I cannot count the times Light up the Sky filled my car & heart with the words of peace & absolute hope I needed to hear; it accompanied many of God's magnificent sunrises and seas of sunsets providing me to sing at the top of my lungs - through my tears - overflowing with joy & praise regardless of our circumstance. Thank you K-Love, for riding with me each day, and Afters, for your awesome message & music! Love to you from a thankful mother!
3/14/2011 7:00:44 PM
savannah garcia United States
savannah garcia
i don't rlly liten 2 this type of music,but my mom listens 2 k-love all the time.but i rlly love that song Light Up The Sky ,it makes me feel like,i hav no worries,and a feeling i cant describe,but a good feeling,a feeling from God.
3/15/2011 4:38:34 AM
Rachael United States
Rachael
Hi guys!  I loved listening to you on the radio yesterday afternoon!

I listen to christian radio all day.  ON my way to work it never fails that "light up the sky" comes on the radio.  The sun is starting to come up at that time and I always feel that "light up the sky" coming on the radio is God saying "Good Morning Rachael!" It's truly an amazing song.  I love that each morning God lights the sky for me and says Good Morning!

Thanks for a wonderful song and keep up the good work!!