Jun 17 2011

This Will Make you Cry!

I have had so many requests to re-post this video. Since I have lost my dad, it really means a lot to me. It is a great reminder of what a privilege it is being a parent! Happy Father's Day!

Here's the letter we shared on the air from our friend, Steve:

My dad went to be with Jesus in August 2010 so this will be my first Fathers Day without him. I thought I would send you a copy of the note I wrote him last Fathers Day.

Dear Dad,                                             6/18/10

On this father's day there just doesn't seem to be an appropriate present to get you. With "our" resent news that cancer has invaded your body, and watching your loss of weight and seeing you fight back the pain and symptoms that we thought was something else. I can't help but to draw on the years of subtle things you have taught or a better word would be modeled as a dad. As a child I saw you run to God's word for comfort and guidance. I saw you. As a child you showed me that prayer was important to you. I saw you. As a child you showed me that strong and lasting fellowship would be found at the church. I saw you. As a kid there were times when you could not join mom and us kids because you were working one of three jobs to provide for us. I saw it. As a teen you showed me that discipline was part of your love for me when I thought I knew what was right. I saw it. As a teen I heard you apologize to someone because you were wrong. I saw it. As a teen when I admitted to my wrong doings forgiveness was quick because your love for me was so great. I saw it. As a young man I watched your relationship with other men, you never let their shortcomings influence you, you stayed true to your relationship with Christ and mom. I saw it. I saw and heard other men tell stories of how you witnessed to them and others at work. I saw it. I was there when the collection plate was passed every Sunday and there was always an envelope placed inside. I saw it. As a young man you never interfered with my decisions even if you knew they were wrong, and when I came to you for advice you always came through for me. I saw it. One of the verses that I keep close to me is Matt 7:13&14. 13 "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.  Dad more than your service in 3 branches of the military, more than your decades of service at the mill, more than the decades of service to the community as a police officer, more than your 50 year commitment of marriage to mom, I just want you to know with all the love a man can muster for his dad, you have walked this narrow road and displayed who a man should be in Christ. I SAW IT!!!!!

Finish Strong dad! Finish Strong!!! I will see it.

With the deepest of love I'm proud to be called you son! Steve Happy Fathers Day.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (12) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

6/17/2011 5:33:08 PM
Vicki United States
Vicki
Scott,
This fathers day is very hard for me as was mothers day. You see I lost a lot last year! My mother in law (who took over being my mom seven years ago when I lost my own mother) died on april 23,2010. My dad fell sick in the beginning of May and by May 30th he was in a coma. He came out on fathers day and spent the day laughing and jokeing around with us thou not able to speak because of a trake(air hole in his neck) it was beautiful and I thank God for that day but sadly he passed away 6 days later. He went back into a coma 4 hours after fathers day had ended and never recovered I miss him so much!!!!!!!! Love to all the fathers out there because you are sooooooooo special and sometimes we dont get the chance to really tell you that God Bless!!!!
Vicki
6/17/2011 5:54:44 PM
Mary United States
Mary
Scott, Thank you for reading that final father's day letter from Steve to his dad and for posting the video. There has not been a day that I have not thought of my dad since he passed ten years ago. I had the priviledge to be with Mom the last 5 weeks of ther life. She died in August2010 ten years to the day and almost to the hour that Dad passed. She and I always talked about Dad and I did not relize how much that helped. Now she is gone and miss them both. Father's Day has been tough for me over the years but I see things with differnt eyes after seeing Mom off to her heavenly home. If I were to tell anyone anything it would be to hug your parents as if it were the last time every time you hug them. Look them in the eyes and tell them you love them and thank them for being who they are. I remember the last hug and the last kiss from both of them. There is nothing like it. I look forward to the day that I see them in Heaven. In the meantime I am taking up their work here. Loving other people and living for God. I have big shoes to fill as they were giants to me. It is an honor to be their child. God Bless you and Happy Father's Day!
Mary
6/17/2011 6:03:10 PM
Jodi United States
Jodi
Thank you Scott...and God Bless you.  I appreciate what Steve wrote and will share it with my sons.  They lost their dad last August...this being the first Father's Day without him.  I pray that they see these things in me...as I attempt to honor their dad's legacy. As I remind them, though your earthly father went on ahead of you, your Heavenly Father is still with you every single day.  May Sunday be warming to you.
6/17/2011 7:07:41 PM
Melanie United States
Melanie
I also heard the letter on the radio. I lost my father March 24th of this year. After years of being sick, Dad finally got worse & First part of March Mom said we'd all better come home. I got home to see the man I loved only but a shell of himself. He slept mostly, but some days he was lucid and I remember the last conversation we had. Dad said, Melanie you know I am dying, don't you? I said yeah daddy, I do. Are you at peace with that? He looked at me for a long time and said yeah, I've made peace. I am so tired. I grabbed his hands, and after months and months of begging him to hang on till I could get home, I looked at him with tears in my eyes and said; Daddy, if you are tired, it is OK to go Home. We both cried some and the next morning I left to go back to my home 1300 miles away. Every day, I cried and begged God to take my Daddy so he would not suffer any more. I begged God to not let him die alone. I got a phone call a week and a half later & momma was on the other line. She said he's gone, but you have to hear how he passed. She preceeded to tell me that she was on the phone with the preacher and standing by Dad's bedside and they were praying. My Dad's heartbeat started dropping slowly..50's..40s..and momma said to the preacher, I think he's going. Momma grabbed Daddy's hand and the preacher started praying. When the preacher said AMEN, Daddy's heartbeat went to zero. He passed painlessly in his sleep and with momma holding his hand. I am so grateful for my Heavenly Father, that heard his little girls cry and answered her prayers. God is so good. I may not have my father here with me this Father's day, but I know he is with my Heavenly father and I can't wait for the day when I can see him again. - With much love, Melanie
6/17/2011 8:15:32 PM
Shannon Evans United States
Shannon Evans
Thank you so much not only for everything you do and say on the radio station, but for this letter that Steve wrote to his father. It brought tears to my eyes when I heard you read it on the radio and again tears to my eyes when I had my husband read it. I know its meant for fathers but me as a mother of 4 I hope and pray that my children see Jesus in me. That I always be a living example not only to them but to others. This really hit home thank you. May GOD bless you both and the radio station and all the people out there without there dad's. Also the people who there dad's are not in there life.

In Christ Shannon Evans
6/17/2011 8:34:14 PM
cathy United States
cathy
Scott,
I was listening to your show when you had just played this video. I cried with you, even though I had not seen the video yet. I lost my dad three weeks ago. I miss him very much! I loved him with all my heart, and it saddened me greatly to see him slowly lose his physical and mental abilities as he had idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis and heart problems. He taught me and my siblings so much about life.
I was in the store picking out Father's Day cards for my sons and brother, and the tears flowed as I realized I wouldn't be able to give my dad a Father's Day card this year. But, instead, I can pray to him and again remind him of all he meant to me.
Thank you, Scott, for what you say and show to us in God's love. I made sure that I listened to your show all day the day my Dad went to be with our Lord....I felt closer to my Dad and God and needed God more that day to help me deal with my Dad's loss.
Cathy
6/18/2011 1:31:17 PM
Faye Lancaster United States
Faye Lancaster
Scott, I wanted to let you know a couple of days ago when I was listening to you at work and you started crying that I was almost crying with you. I stopped and prayed for you right then and there. I have been a K-Love listener since 2006 and each and everyone of you are so encouraging to listen to. You are all so genuine. I listen to K-Love at home, in car and at work and the Lord is working through your station. He is glorified each and every day. I lost my daddy in 2002 and lost my father-in-law this past November. Keep up the great ministry that you and all the rest do for all of us. I am so glad to be a part of the K-Love family. Blessings to you all.
6/18/2011 5:36:56 PM
Lisa United States
Lisa
Scott, the video was wonderful.  I lost my father 4 years ago.  We were actually at a funeral for my cousin, and we went to their house afterwards to visit and my father (who always wore cowboy boots)caught his heel on the carpet somehow when he was going by a set of stairs, lost his balance and fell down them.  He was taken to a local hospital and then they could not fly him to the larger hospital about 50miles away, because we had a blizzard starting so they had to take him by ambulance.  Doctors and emt's did all they could but by the time we made it to the hospital he was unconcious.  I was thankful that I was able to still visit with him at the first hospital before they took him to second.  I miss him very much.  Everytime we start harvest in the fall (we farm) I think of him, he loved that time of the year. I know I will see him again someday. My faith has helped me through all of this.
6/18/2011 5:59:00 PM
Rose United States
Rose
Scott, thank you for the letter to your dad and the video.  I loved both.  I first heard the letter on radio and had to read it for myself.  I, too, can relate to losing a dad to cancer.  Altho its been a few years now, I am missing him more this year.  His birthday last month and father's day this month.  I know he has given up much for his children and taught us some valuable lessons, too, but we probably did not notice them until his passing.  Its funny, we take our parents for granted when they are alive and realize what we had after they pass.  God bless you, Scott.
6/20/2011 4:17:56 PM
Terri United States
Terri
Wow.... I simply have no other words
6/21/2011 5:18:01 AM
Dana United States
Dana
Wow. That's simply all I can really say. I can't imagine my life without my father. Thank you Lord for earthly fathers!
6/22/2011 2:46:38 PM
Jackie United States
Jackie
This video was so sweet and sad. I know I'm blessed to still have my Dad. He loves to go camping and if it wasn't for my mom he would forget his underware. Great truibute to Father Day.