Jul 11 2011

It's Make a Difference Monday!

Happy Make a Difference Monday! What's up? Tell us what you've done to make a difference lately (or what someone has done for you!)!

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (12) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

7/11/2011 3:09:38 PM
Becky Kliewer United States
Becky Kliewer
Hi Scott & Kelli - This happened this last Sat., but God helped me M.A.D. in someone's life.  Here's my story - I was at the park playing with my dog and a lady approached me.  She looked very stressed and nervous. Her name was Allana. She said she had been thrown out of the place she was living w/ a family member. She didn't know the city or where to go. She had a little cute puppy with her and only a grocery bag with some drinks in it and a cell phone. To make a long story short - after a failed attempt to get her to a shelter for the night - she was able to contact her daughter who agreed to come pick her up, but she lived several hours away.  So I bought
her lunch and some food for her puppy.  I took her back to the park where we met (making sure she knew the name of the park so her daughter would know where to find her when she arrived in town).  I gave her my cell phone number and drove home.  Allana called me shortly after that to tell me her phone battery was dying.  I told her to turn it off for awhile to save it as long as she could.
Later that night (around 9:30) I was driving home from a meeting and I heard this little voice telling me to drop by the park.  Sure enough, Allana was still there where I had dropped her off shivering and cold.  She said her phone was dead.  I sent a text to her daughter's phone and got a call back right away.  As it turns out her daughter had been circling the park, but wasn't able to find her Mom.  I asked her where she was and she was just a couple of blocks away from the park.  I told them to stay there and I drove Allana to where they were. Relieved to find them, Allana was finally re-united with a caring family member.  God just wouldn't let me rest until I knew Allana was safe.  She was very thankful for my help and I told her that God was going to help her thru her crisis, and that it wasn't a coincidence that our paths had crossed.  I continue to pray for Allana and her family.
My whole day was re-arranged by this, but when I put my head on my pillow that night, I knew that the re-arrangement was God's doing and I glad that I was paying attention!
Love You Guys!! Becky - Bend, OR
7/11/2011 3:36:07 PM
Tiffani United States
Tiffani
On my way to picking up a pizza for my parents I heard that it was Make a difference Monday. I thought to myself, "I really want to do this, its already almost the end of the day though, I will have to be on the lookout for something to do". As I pulled into the parking lot an older women with a packed with grocery's was struggling pushing the cart. I quickly parked and asked her if I could help load them into the car. She was hesitant but let me help. When I was done she offered me a dollar, I kindly thanked her and insisted that I did not want it.  As I walked away she said " thank you, you are a guardian angel". When I walked away I thanked god for giving me that opportunity to help and asked him for more. I hope in time, enough people will be doing these random things that people won't be so suspicious and hesitant to except the help. I am going to strive to make this a habit! Thank you K-Love for reminding me!
7/11/2011 3:55:29 PM
Missy, Jeff, & Noelani Barrett United States
Missy, Jeff, & Noelani Barrett
Hi Scott & Kelli and Happy Monday!!
We would like to share what our 6 yr old daughter is doing to help children in Rwanda. There is a summer fundraiser through Focus On The Family called "Read to Raise the Roof" and more info can be found at this link for other children to get involved - http://www.clubhousemagazine.com/read/ Select the 'Read to Raise the Roof' link for info on the project.
Through children reading this summer, their sponsor donations go directly into building a home for orphans in Rwanda.
The goal is for each child to read 1000 pages. We are very proud of Noelani because she has already read 960 pages since July 1st and is determined to read more. So far she has read from the book of Luke, a few Magic Tree House books, and some of her Junie B Jones books. Today we surprised her when we picked her up from VBS with a few new magic tree house books to dive into this week.
The fundraiser ends on Aug 31st and we think we may go broke Smile We're sponsoring her at a penny a page and invite anyone to join in Smile
This is particularly touching to us because we sponsor a 15 yr old orphan in Rwanda, through Compassion, and hope that kids like Patricia will benefit from this fundraiser.
We hope parents get their kids involved & can help other kids half way around the world that lost their parents to war and disease.
Have a wonderful afternoon & God Bless!
7/11/2011 9:59:49 PM
Cindy Schriver United States
Cindy Schriver
My husband was diagnosed with cancer two years ago and has spent the last two years going from radiation to chemo to valiantly battle this cancer unfortunatly no treatment has worked for him and he is now in hospice care. Since we have spent a lot of time and money fighting cancer our home was in great disrepair when people from our church found out they organized a work day and in one day fixed some major issues that have been wrong with or house in one day. It was so amazing to see Gods love played out in such a tangible way it blew our minds and we were just so grateful attatched is the link to our Blog with pictures and the whole story from the day. God showed us that even in the worst time in our life He still cares and sends people to be his hands and feet here on the earth.
schrivermarathon.blogspot.com/.../...zing-day.html

blessings and thanks for all you all do
7/12/2011 1:55:19 PM
Pam "pip" Pipkin United States
Pam "pip" Pipkin
Scott and Kelli,

Heard you as i was out yesterday, doing errands.  As i came out of the Credit Union - i was irritated because a family was sitting and leaning on my car; it was a man, woman, and a child.  The man sat in the car next to mine as i got in and the mother reached for her child's hand. As i began to back out i heard ONCE again that it wzs Make a Difference Monday.  i don't normally give money to random strangers (although i guess that is what i did when i gave $ to the person who made my coffee at the Dutch Brother's Drive-thru and told him to buy as many drinks for the people behind me on Sunday); anyway long story short - i drove back around and handed them a 20 and told them GOD had blessed me and i was praying that HE would bless them!  The Mom said "Thanks, now we can buy gas!"
7/12/2011 7:33:42 PM
Susan United States
Susan
Helping a lady from my church who had knee surgery a month ago. She needed a ride to the doctor and a few other earrands.
7/13/2011 2:19:13 PM
JESSICA United States
JESSICA
Yesterday I was at the video store and needed .40 cents. I went to my car and came back with it but there was a gentleman paid the .40 cents for me.
I said thanks and the lady at the counter just told me to "pay it forward". So this morning I went through McDonald dive trough and paid for the lady behind me. She just had a pop but its just the little things, right?
7/13/2011 3:33:19 PM
susan franz United States
susan franz
Dear Scott and Kelly,
am listening to your commentary regarding the restaurant banning kids - what the issue comes down to whether you are for or against the policy is the right of the private business owner to make the rules - that is part of our American freedom.  On the other side of the coin, we have the government trying to regulate what we eat - i.e. -  healthy food in restaurants for kids - although the restaurants that are agreeing to do this are doing so "voluntarily" - they are succumbing to enormous pressure being put on them by the government - that is an example of our eroding freedoms - I believe we are not too far from the day that many of these will be gone - many are already gone.  As Americans, we need to be attentive to all that is happening in the light of the governing documents that men inspired by God fought and struggled to put in place for us.  It is interesting that the restaurant subject has come up today as my husband and I were able to go on a date to an upscale restaurant as our son is away on a missions trip thus we were able to have a date.  Although I made the decision not to let the noise of several children - very young and screaming at the top of their lungs ruin our dinner, it was VERY irritating.  I'm sorry, while the kids are young, go eat at cheap places that are kid friendly or bring in Chinese or something if you need to have a date.  I never took my child to a nice restaurant until the age of six and as soon as he misbehaved, he went to the car to sit until he got himself together.  Life is good now - we can trust him in any situation.  The truth is that many parents just aren't considerate and allow the child to rule them.   O.K. - I've vented now - thanks for listening -
susan
7/13/2011 10:02:20 PM
Theresa Byrd United States
Theresa Byrd
Hello S&K - My grand daughter was born 4 months premature. The doctors said that she was "unviable for life" but what seemed impossible to man was made possible through God. When she was born He breathed life into her very under developed lungs and showed us that He is still performing miracles everyday. During Shaylee's four month stay in NICU, she and many of the babies received daily blood transfusions to help them survive. I have always known about the need to donate blood and blood platelets for patients in need, but this really opened my eyes to the need. We will be forever grateful for those who cared enough to donate blood for these babies and other patients whom they would never know. I now donate whole blood and platelets on a regular basis in honor of those who cared enough to see that these babies received the blood they needed. I am very happy to tell you that we celebrated Shaylee's first birthday on June 20 and she is a beautiful, healthy and happy baby who brings so much love and joy into our lives. Please encourage your listeners to check with their local blood bank to inquire about donating blood and blood platelets. You never know how God may be using you to perform His miracle in someone's life!!
7/14/2011 2:12:39 PM
Rose Taylor United States
Rose Taylor
Could u please ask ur Listeners to pray for My Step Grandma, she is in surgery right now for a shoulder thats messed up. Her name is Dell Siddall, It would mean so much to me, i have lost a grandma to a doctors bad choices in surgery. Im scared, PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!
7/18/2011 11:21:36 AM
Kristina United States
Kristina
After losing my Dad back in 2010....i felt as thought everything in my life was gone. I hd started to take a dark path in life...but thanks to your sation and my dear friend Jacey in Louisiana praying for me, I came back to Jesus yesterday and committed my life to him. I am saved!! Praise Jesus and and bless you both.
7/18/2011 9:33:21 PM
Samara United States
Samara
Happy Monday!!
I've had a rough life, I've gone through numoruous trials that test my faith but the kicker is, I'm fifteen.
My best friend was being abused and beaten by her mother, I did all I could do for her in the few weeks I had with her before CPS came and got her. I led her to christ. I write letters back and forth with her, she asked one day how she could repay me for everything I'd done for her, I simply replied share the news that I have given you. She has since led many, children to Christ. I praise God for giving me the words and the actions to lead people down his path!