Jul 19 2011

Summer Boredom Busters!

We're halfway through summer and many kids are getting a bit stir crazy! How do you keep them entertained? Experts suggest finding them a new hobby or creating a "summer camp" at home. What do YOU do to beat summer boredom in your kids?

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (21) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

7/19/2011 2:24:15 PM
Kim Freidline United States
Kim Freidline
When my boys were little we would take a favorite tee shirt that was getting to small & make a pillow. I would sew it & they would stuff it. Also I took a shoe box cut a slit in the top & let the boys put stickers on it & glitter. Each week mom, dad & the all the kids would share every thing that we were thankful for. I would write them down & we would put them in the box, then on Thanksgiving we read all the blessings that God gave us. You could even write them on nice paper and hang them on a small Christmas tree. Also one summer we made a paper chain of all the prayers that God answered. Just use construction paper, write on the strips of paper what the prayer was, date it was answered. We hung it up in our hall way, by the next summer it covered the whole wall. We also used gold metallic paper for any of our family or friends who came to Christ. These are good ways to show kids that God is at work in our lives.

God Bless
Kim
7/19/2011 2:38:39 PM
Bobbie Jo Oliver United States
Bobbie Jo Oliver
I was thinking that if a kid says he's bored tell him to go look through all the toys that he's not playing with and pick one to donate to a homeless shelter.
7/19/2011 3:26:24 PM
Andrea United States
Andrea
I heard a lady earlier mention on the radio about praying for people working outside. I work @ Ameriqual, a factory in IN that makes most of the MRE's for the military to eat. We dont have a/c either. If the heat index is 105 outside, then its 120 inside minimum; depending where u r working @. So its not just the outside jobs we have to worry & pray about. We also have to pray for those working inside hot oppressive buildings as well.
7/19/2011 4:10:12 PM
Kayla United States
Kayla
If your child says they are bored then have them come up with an idea like build a tent or look for hidden treasure which you of course would hide and then make a map for them to find the treasure! You could also have a picnic in the yard or a walk to the park near by!! Smile hope that helps!
7/19/2011 4:44:32 PM
Rose Taylor United States
Rose Taylor
Right Now in Oregon, all we are getting bored of is getting stuck inside it rains Most of the year, even in the summer!!!!!!!!!!
7/19/2011 6:18:35 PM
michelle United States
michelle
We like to set up Art Classes for 8 or less kids... itseems to go over well... painting, drawing, and learning to appreciate the arts is fun for adults and children.
7/20/2011 11:00:19 AM
lesslie United States
lesslie
it was sooo hard i saw the video and kelli said next time when move by mercy me comes on to turn the volume up as loud as i can and try not to move it was a total challenge but i did it.it is a total callenge but i  did it.i tihnk its sooo funny how scott calls kelli's dancing "a frog in the blender."      LESSLIE.
7/20/2011 11:02:25 AM
lesslie United States
lesslie
oh my goodness i messed up soooo bad on my first comment sorry about that.LESSLIE=)
7/20/2011 11:09:59 AM
lesslie United States
lesslie
i dont know if it was move as in dancing cause thats what i did or move as in not to move your hands or anythin but i didnt do that i just didnt dance
7/20/2011 11:11:38 AM
lesslie United States
lesslie
I LOVE SCOTT AND KELLI TEY ARE MY FAV PEOPLE ON AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!=)
7/20/2011 1:09:31 PM
Karen United States
Karen
When I was young, we would have a carnival for muscular dystrophy every summer. What about creating a carnival for Joplin, or another area that has been affected by tornados, fire, drought.....
7/20/2011 2:06:35 PM
SUSAN United States
SUSAN
I played Hopscotch with my 9 yr niece for the first time in years. When I went to bed that night I was hurting. but it was a lot of fun.

My 11yr old neice. I am teaching her how to crochets. She is learning fast.
7/20/2011 2:42:14 PM
Carolyn West United States
Carolyn West
When I was younger my Mom made us a cloth house that went across our card table.  She made a door flap and window flaps as well.  We spent hours playing in that.
Also when my kids were young, if it rained we had a low spot in the yard that I would let them use as a slip and slide.  They would end up like little muddy pigs and the yard would be without grass for a month or so but they had so much fun.
7/20/2011 2:50:15 PM
Carolyn West United States
Carolyn West
Also one year we couldnt afford swingset I got a 1/2 pickup load of old tires and my kids used them as a jungle gym.  They would stack them up put plywood across top for a house or just pile them up and climb over them.
A small garden is good for kids to keep busy too but kinda late in year.  Maybe buy some alfalfa seeds and try sprouting them.  They grow quickly year round in the house, you just need a glass jar and rinse them daily until they sprout.  Then couple times a day to keep from souring.
7/20/2011 8:58:22 PM
Vicky Newlun United States
Vicky Newlun
I am going to have a small dinner theater at our church for our youth and have some adults help out.  Christian ministeries has some great resources that are very affordable.

7/21/2011 11:16:07 AM
lesslie United States
lesslie
YAY I TIHNK SCOTT IS BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!=)
7/21/2011 11:22:08 AM
lesslie United States
lesslie
IF ANY KIDS EVER GET BORED MAYBE YOU SHOULD JUST USE A LITTLE IMAGINATION IM ELEVN AND I HARDLY EVER GET BORED AT MY HOUSE  OR MAYBE DRAW OR HELP YOUR MOM COOK OR EVEN LISTEN TO KLOVE =)

GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!!!!!

LESSLIE.
7/21/2011 11:56:42 AM
lesslie United States
lesslie
HI
7/24/2011 7:19:58 PM
Elizabeth United States
Elizabeth
We have the perfect boredom buster.....take in a needy family! We have a family of 7 staying with us! Five children and two adults. The Dad lost his job and his company provided housing and we decided to give them a place until they can get back on their feet. Believe me! My 3 kids are NOT BORED anymore! When you have a house full of new, fun, interesting and exciting people that love God just as much as you do....there is no way to be bored! Ages of the kids are 13 all the way down to 4. What a joyful summer we are having! God Bless and Shalom!
7/25/2011 10:43:00 AM
Paradise Giere United States
Paradise Giere
When I was 17 yrs old I found out that I had cancer on my left lung.. My mother was so heart broken and didn't know what to do. A few day's later I went into the hospital to have surgery and they took the lower lobe of my left lung and the lining of my heart. A few day's later after having surgery I had some problems and my mother was so afraid that I was not going to make it. My mother had married a man that knew christ and he always tried getting her to go to church but sometimes she didn't want to go. But she ended up going but still didn't know christ. One night she had started crying and was so afraid for her daughter, right then she decided to except christ as her savior and that moment the Lord started working in my life. About a few years later on Memorial Day she had invited me to her church and I excepted Christ has my savior.. Sense then I have had many sufferings and problems in my life.. But as growing in Christ it has straighten me so much and I love the Lord very much... So if u have any problems or suffering remember the Lord loves u very much. Blessings to all.
7/29/2011 3:22:57 PM
FJ United States
FJ
My kids were not allowed to say they were bored.  I told them that boring only occurred between their ears when they ceased to be creative.  Though times were tough and resources were limited, we participated in church, library and community activties that enriched their lives. I always made certain that we accessed our local newspaper so that we knew what was happening in our town.  On occasion, the newspaper was unaffordable.  We read the paper at our  local library. HE got us through those difficult times.