Sep 05 2011

9/11 Remembrance

Remembering 9/11 this week. Where were you when it all happened? Tell us how it changed you. Share your story.

Are Made-for-TV Romances Ruining Our Shot at Real Love? Shine from YAHOO!

Vigorous exercise burns calories 14 hours after workout. USA TODAY

Home Remedies for Allergies. ABC News

Labor Day Weekend: Time for Sales. ABC News

Shark Kills Surfer Off California Coast. ABC news.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (25) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

9/5/2011 3:06:40 PM
jedge United States
jedge
Let's never forget he families. And call out to God to restore the USA.

CBN and Sujo John Ministry partner together to produce a documentary “Sujo John 9-11 ten years later”.
Sujo is a survivor of The World Trade Center terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001. The 12 minute documentary was filmed in New York City and takes the viewer back to that tragic day when terror struck America and changed us forever. Join churches all across America on 9-11-11 and watch “Sujo John 9-11 ten years later”.
The documentary release date is September 6 on CBN.com. (Free download)

Watch Trailer:   http://www.synclogic.com/clients/cbn911promo
9/5/2011 3:18:05 PM
Karen Cochran United States
Karen Cochran
We were sitting in the Cleveland Hopkins Airport waiting to fly out to Washington Dallus Airport to meet our son and family who was serving in the Marines. Since I do have a fear of flying, my husband warned me they just showed photos of a plane going into some building.  So the brave person I am, I took our kindergartener granddaughter and went to an area and played games with her.  We finally boarded the plane and it sit forever.  So many were getting cell calls and leaving the plane.  We had no idea what was going on, and I kept saying, let's just go and get the flight overwith.  Many minutes later they announced we would have to leave the plane and go back into the terminal.  Later it was announced no flights would be going out that day and we started watching the tv.   That is when my whining stop and I was so thankful for all the delays.  The rest of the day all I could say was "Thank You again Lord for your protection". God is so good!
9/5/2011 4:51:32 PM
Debbie C. United States
Debbie C.
Where was I when I heard the news? I just tuned into KLOVE for the first time ever!! (I was driving to work) One of your staff lead a prayer for the news we just got over the air waves! It was the first time listening and I felt peace with the prayer! I am greatful for that! I have been a listener ever since! My best friend's uncle was in the plane that crashed into the Petagon and died there! A corporate client of mine- her husband was sitting in one of the breakrooms when the plane hit the Pentagon, he survived but the mentally he never recovered. All of us were affected that day in one way or another. Let's continue to pray for all the families,friends, co-workers, left behind.
Thank you!!
9/5/2011 7:07:16 PM
Raelene United States
Raelene
When I heard the news of 911, I was eating breakfast in the cafeteria on my college campus.  A friend told me about it and I didn't believe her, then went to a television and watched the second plane hit the towers live.  It changed my life by providing an opportunity to be thankful for life itself.  I was touched by the overwhelming pride we had as a country and how America came together to help those in need.
9/6/2011 2:24:31 AM
Donna Wilt United States
Donna Wilt
I live in Shanksville, Pa where Flight 93 crashed on 9/11.  That day I was working at the country store in town.  When we heard what was happening in New York we couldn't believe it, but almost instinctively said how glad we were to live in a small rural community where things like that don't happen.  And then it did.  At that moment our attention shifted from New York and the Pentagon, to little Shanksville and wondering what in the world is going on?  The first thing I did was go to the school and get my kids and I took them to my parents home in Shanksville. Then I went back to work and we knew what our role was going to be for the day.  Take care of our first responders.  We made sandwiches and got drinks and started hauling them to the crash site for the firemen and policemen.  That was the beginning of a community outreach like I have never seen.  And not just our community, but our American community.  The out-pouring of food and drink, personal care items and warm clothes, support and prayers for the many firemen, policemen, FBI, and families of the victims, well it was just unbelievable.  That incredible, horrific tragedy brought our country together in a way that many say has not been since WWII.  It also made me see that evil can be anywhere, but we are protected and loved so much by our Father God.  Our country needs to go back to God.  My life has changed in many ways since that day, but the biggest is my faith in our loving God.  I am thankful that none of my family or friends were hurt, but I grieve for all the families who lost loved ones that day.  9/11 was a day that changed my life.
9/6/2011 3:13:53 AM
Theresa United States
Theresa
I was in the middle of cooking. When I heard the news, I turned the stove off and rushed to the phone. I told my kids' schools that I was coming to pick my daughters up. Then I turned to my 16 year-old step daughter and told her not to leave the house. I picked up the phone one more time, thinking about where my 21-year old stepson and his son might be and when he answered I said "You are grounded, you and Mikey do not leave the house for any reason!!!!"   I picked my daughters up from school early that day and we all had dinner together at the dining room table. From that day on, no one ate dinner anywhere else but the diningroom table. It gave everyone at least one moment together praying and just being a family. Also I made Sunday nights WHOLE family dinner time (including the son who was living on his own). In addition, I made sure to include even my youngest daughter of 2 into group prayer. The tradition of prayer and dinner together with my daughters is still going strong.
9/6/2011 9:45:27 AM
Lauren United States
Lauren
I was a little girl so, as much as really want to, I don't remember where I was.... Frown apologies....
9/6/2011 1:15:37 PM
Lauren United States
Lauren
Wow. That shark attack story give you chills. Especially when they said that he "disapeared underwater". I know people say that stuff happens every day with a tone that sounds like they don't care, but it's STILL A TRAGIDY. Think about it whenever you see another story like that. So so sad Frown
9/6/2011 2:20:31 PM
caroline United States
caroline
i was 2, so i cant remember, but it affected my family anyway. shortly after 9/11, my older brother told my dad it was his duty to serve his country, and entered the Army. after his 1st trip to iraq, he came back and told my dad there were times he should have been killed out there, and it made him want to know christ. he accepted christ as his savior! my brother was killed in afghanistan two years ago. that is why i remember 9/11. Caroline
9/6/2011 3:05:35 PM
Joyce S. United States
Joyce S.
9/11
I worked as staff at the University of the Nations in Kona, HI, a training center for short term missions.  A Canadian friend who also worked there called me to say the U.S. had been attacked.  All classes were cancelled and we met together for the announcement and to pray.  I remember how we, the Americans were seated in the middle and those from several other nations prayed for us.  I will never forget the prayer of a Korean missionary, which,  as I write this brings fresh tears to my eyes.  “Father, they have helped so many other nations, would now you please help them.”
As the week passed we heard of many miracles of God’s mercy toward our teams who were returning from missions.  Some took an earlier flight; some stayed an extra day, etc.
My heart is with the survivors who lost loved ones and for our country.
9/6/2011 3:48:11 PM
Sandy United States
Sandy
2 months before that sad day. I was a family reunion and my cousin & her husband were there. and they told everyone that their son who worked as a broker in chicago was being transferred to NY World trade center. they would be helping him move there which they did and 3 weeks later he was gone. he was on a floor that had taken dead hit. I was at home that day with a cold and was laying in bed watching a very funny movie. when i started to cry (sob) I had this feeling of great sadness. I turn the channels on my TV just in time to see the 2nd plane hit. My cousin went to NY with a picture of her son, hopping he had not gone to work that day. she wondered the streets for days even months she finally came home at christmas time. I pray still for those that were left behind. thank you for letting me share
9/6/2011 5:27:33 PM
Lisa Preston United States
Lisa Preston
I was standing next to my mother's hospital bed.  She had a stroke on September 4th and I actually had to make a 7 hour drive back to Indiana on the 11th for my wedding on th 15th.  I had arrived at the hospital before anything had happened and my brother walked into the room and asked if I had on the news.  We turned it on and that was right after the plane hit the second tower.  I just stood there holding my mom's hand.  She couldn't speak so no words were said we just held her hand.  When I was driving home it was so strange not seeing any 'airplane tracks' in the sky.
9/6/2011 6:19:36 PM
Andrea Horner United States
Andrea Horner
Hi Scott and Kelli,

I am so excited you get to be in NY and celebrating the new K Love station there and remebering 9/11. I thought I would join in the discussion and share my story. I was in college at the time and it was my first day on air(yes at a christian radio station in my college town. I had an eairly morning class and stoped by a shelter that I volunteered at on my way to my new job as an on air host, walking into the shelter I saw the footage of the first tower going down. I found it hard to leave I did not know quite what happend. On my way I was listening and heard the second tower got hit. It was me and my station GM that covered the day. I wont forget I walked in and first thing he said was "Welcome to your first day". We would also share silly holidays like national oreo cookie day on air...well it just so happened that it was "skip the news day" seriously that is true. How crazy is that? Needless to say that was technicaly a very easy day, but one of the most emotional days in my radio experience, and wont forget.  God Bless ya guys!
9/6/2011 8:56:22 PM
Alex Philippidis United States
Alex Philippidis
That Tuesday morning I was a reporter for a local business weekly newspaper when a colleague in our sales department asked to borrow my plug-in radio. We had just heard about a plane crashing into the World Trade Center, and thought it was just some dumb pilot, nothing worse... until the second plane struck the second tower. For an hour, one of the local all-news stations broadcast so many bulletins it felt like a war was breaking out, and it was...over downtown New York. Our owners at the newspaper sent everyone home, where we had TV and radio blasting out the horrible news as it happened. My wife and I feared our 3-year-old son might catch wind that something was horribly wrong, so I took him to the now-empty newspaper office, to let him play cartoon clips on my computer, on my lap, where few a few minutes at least, there was peace. When we left to go back home, I looked at the now-empty parking lot at 5 pm on a weekday, and I had never seen the place so empty, even on a weekend. The next day, we opened up the newspaper to the photos of the World Trade Center on fire. Our son, who is autistic and had not spoken a word till then, opened his mouth and uttered "What a mess." Truer words were never spoken.

Next morning we all had to work. My editor assigned me to interview security professionals and businesses for a follow-up article. I managed to speak to the head of security at a local hotel, who was up to that time NYC's most decorated police officer. By week's end, you could see the effects of frayed nerves all over. My editor quit the Friday after 9/11 after a stupid argument with our owner. I co-hosted a local cable talk show in those days, and my co-host and I were almost in tears struggling to put into words the enormity of the week;'s events... One of my longtime sources, a local real estate broker, misunderstood a question I asked and was so upset he didn't speak to me for a year; we have since reconciled. So many relationships with so many people were fractured by the anger and rage and fear we all felt in the NY area in those days after the attacks. And while I was very fortunate in not loisng anybody, I did see something die in New York that awful day -- namely the absence of fear that neighbors, friends, and others used to have -- we could watch a Yankee game with bags and backpacks and not be frisked, as my wife and I did the Friday before the 9/11 attacks. We could fly out of an airport, ride a commuter train, or visit someone in an office building, and not see soldiers with guns, or police, or other high-level security officers everywhere.

They say the world changed on 9/11, and they are right. If anything good came out of all that death and destruction, it has yet to touch me.  Maybe that's why I'm fascinated listening to the K-Love broadcasts from New York. I long  to hear that the city where I was born and raised will find new life, a new hope, out of all this madness and mass murder. If you find any hope, let me know, will ya, so I can share it with others? Thanks, and keep up the great broadcasting. ///Alex Philippidis, White Plains, NY, north of NYC...
9/6/2011 10:31:28 PM
Danny United States
Danny
I was active duty Air Force and involved with field training at fort Dix, New Jersey on 9/11. We were up early that morning and I remember the day being a very crisp, cool autumn morning. It is Ironic to think that such a gorgeous day would soon evolve into a day forever living in infamy (equating to the attack of Pearl Harbor....lest we not forget December 7th, 1941 either).

There were many fire teams from various bases throughout the US along with us at Fort Dix for mandatory field training.  Since their home stations were far away and they couldn't catch a flight back to those installations, they were forwarded to New York City to assist in any way possible.  Because I was stationed in Delaware, we were recalled back to the base to help secure it being that it was on the East Coast.

The days following 9/11 were tough for those in the military. I was placed at an ECP to a hanger that housed the coffins containing the remains of victims from the pentagon. Being placed at that ECP was both profound and haunting to me. I cannot begin to express the emotions I felt...but the experience is one forever etched into my memory. I certainly feel humbled to be directly involved through my military service, but I would certainly trade it all if it meant allowing the victims to have one more day with their families.

Through my military service (particularly after 9/11), I came to the realization that our time in this life is shorter than many of us could ever anticipate. When remembering the victims of 9/11 (and any previous or post 9/11 attacks) to the service men and women who sacrificed a great deal for the war on terror, I assume not a single victim envisioned how abruptly their lives would end. I feel that I gained an appreciation for my life as well as tremendous respect for those who sacrificed themselves for the sake of others...the type of sacrifice reminiscent to the characteristics of Jesus through His sacrifice for our salvation. I certainly feel beholden to them and only hope my life will represent that form of gratitude.

It is certainly my hope that others have been as profoundly affected.  May we never forget and continually pray for those who still mourn 10 years later.
9/7/2011 7:50:45 AM
Kate United States
Kate
Well the day it happened, I was getting ready for work and had the news on.  I saw the first plane and thought it was a joke or something and then the second plane hit and realized it was no joke.  It was awful, we watched it all day at work and prayed and hoped that more people would be found.  I kept thinking about those little kids in the day care, and the people jumping from the top floors, what an awful death.

I wanted to express my feelings about it all these years later. I understand that it was an AWFUL thing for all involved, the families who lost loved ones, the firefighters, the medical people, the moms, dads, brother, sisters, daughters, sons, uncles, aunts etc etc etc.  I'm sure they have had a rough and trying life every since.
I often wonder how God could let such things happen.

A few years later, I had a nervous breakdown, I have been on many medications (63) and none of them work. Attempting to take my life twice, only because the pain is so great, everyone understands when they see a cast from a broken leg or broken arm but not depression, anxiety, PTSD, etc. People don't understand. My family has been affected by it all, my 4 kids have seen there mom go through hell, they themselves have gone through hell as well with it.  It makes me feel guilty.  I never wanted this for them but it's real, It's not something I can just snap my fingers and let it be gone.  I was bedridden for 2 years, it was not a good time, I still struggle every day.  2 years ago, I got divorced after finding out infidelity was going on.  So now my kids have been going through that as well.  I'm currently on state assistance after making a very good salary but I can't work, the doctors will not release me yet.  Anyway, so I guess what I'm trying to say is, YES, I feel awful for the 9/11, the families etc, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.  However, we have to remember those that are suffering in other places as well.  I wouldn't wish this 'disease' on anyone either. Again, I wonder how God could let this happen.

I know life isn't suppose to be a bed of roses but this is getting ridiculous. I fell away from God for a while and I'm trying to get back, I still struggle but I'm trying.  I know most people probably won't understand but this is real also.

Thanks K-Love for being here and broadcasting, you have helped me in so many ways. I will say though that on my darkest days, I tend to turn K-Love off because I'm so mad at God.  Sorry, just being honest.

I hope and pray that everyone that was effected by 9/11 will be able to move on and live a productive life. After going through what I have and still am, I can't imagine going through what they have. Even though I have been through what I have and still am, I will never forget 9/11. It was an awful day for our country and so many people. Frown
9/7/2011 1:45:17 PM
Donna United States
Donna
On that September day my husband and I were in the bed and were awakened by my sister on the phone telling us to turn on the TV.  My husband had just come home from the hospital the day before after a serious car accident and we were exhausted and were attempting to get some rest.  When we turned the television on the first building had already been hit.  We felt like we were in a dream.  We sat on our bed and silent tears began to fall.  Oh dear God, help this nation is all I could think.  Just the day before we were wondering how we would pay the bills with my husband out of work so long and worrying about his health, etc. We spent the rest of his recuperating time praying for the families of the victims and the city that would need help recovering. Every time I helped him to a chair or to the bathroom or brought my husband his meals, the only thing I could do was thank God I had someone to care for.  Thank God,he was alive.  The "worry" faded away as we prayed for others.  "Somehow" Smile the bills  were payed and he recovered fully.  The nation was forever changed by this horrific event and I know that God is still mending hearts and families and we have kept them on our prayer list.  God bless you and your station for all that you do to contribute to the healing process.
9/7/2011 5:14:22 PM
Geri Mirko United States
Geri Mirko
I got a call from my Husband's secretary stating "your husbands says he is ok", I said 'I don't understand', she exclaimed 'we ARE UNDER attack one twin tower has been hit". As I turned on the TV I saw the second tower hit. My husband was at a training in Penn. He had missed his flight, the flight he missed was the plane that was highjacked, and crashed into the Penn. field where all perished. He made it home via a rental car(by the grace of God) which wasn't easy to come by. With 4 other adults who would of been on that plane. His name tag he wore at that training is hung on our Christams tree every year, as a reminder of God's mercy upon our family, and never to forget the ones who lost their loved ones. Nothing is promised to us, live life with no regrets, Our loved ones are a blessing from God.   In His Embrace Geri M.
9/8/2011 1:40:06 AM
Danny United States
Danny
I know I posted my experience on 9/11 a few posts ago, but I felt the need to respond to Kate’s submission with the hope in providing a sense of empathy and compassion.  If I may, I’d like to address Kate personally since there is not a way for me to make contact with her other than through these means.

Kate- I am sorry to read that you have experienced tumultuous situations in your life.  I assume you feel like the experience shared by those on 9/11 overshadows your own difficulty and strife that is suffered on a continual, daily basis.  It is often easy to commemorate and remember tragic events like 9/11/01, the attack on Pearl Harbor, when JFK or MLK were assassinated, or any event of that caliber that holds great tragic significance…yet we can feel like our daily circumstantial suffering is easily overlooked or overshadowed by something else that is perceived with greater significance.  Keep in mind, the horrendous attacks that occurred on September 11th affected everyone in this nation, and as a means to cope and fellowship with one another, we often ask about another’s experience.  It provides us with a sense of camaraderie and unity that possibly overshadows the abhorrent actions that took place.

That stated, I wanted to let you know that you are not alone in your suffering.  First and foremost, as a Christian, I want to express to you that God certainly understands what you are enduring in your life.  Sometimes we experience extreme difficulty in our lives and while enduring that difficulty; it is easy for us to question why God would allow these difficult things to happen.  Unbeknownst to us, God sees the entire picture while we are only focused on a mere piece of the puzzle.  Currently, perhaps you are only focusing that puzzle piece in front of you instead of allowing God to eventually reveal to you that wondrous picture.  Focusing on that puzzle piece alone, you are not able to see the entire picture; rather, it all seems incomplete and in disarray and you wonder why.  I cannot say why it is you are enduring these moments of difficulty, but I do have the faith to believe that it will one day make sense when looking back in hindsight.

In 2 Corinthians 12, Paul pleads for God to remove a painful thorn from his side in three separate occasions…and each time God says no.  Initially, in that situation, you can question why God was not willing to help Paul with that infliction.  Doesn’t God care about His people?  Why wouldn’t God help Paul by removing that thorn from his side?  God reveals to Paul that, despite the thorn in Paul’s side, His grace would be sufficient enough as His strength is greatest at our weakness.  The thorn essentially humbled Paul and kept him dependant upon God.  Perhaps your ailments and the trialing experiences you are enduring in your life is essentially “your thorn”.  I know I often view my ailments in that manner.

As I explained in my previous post (detailing my experience on 9/11), I was active duty military.  After 9/11, I can testify that serving in the military was extremely difficult, as military service evolved into an extremely demanding endeavor, consisting of long hours, continuous deployments, and exhaustion.  In 2004, I became a disabled veteran due to circumstances that occurred while I was deployed in the Middle East.  These circumstances left me completely disabled.  I explain this because I can truly sympathize with how you feel.  Because of the ailments I suffer, I am currently dependent upon compensation from the VA.  I can assure you that it is extremely humbling to come from being a healthy, young serviceman to becoming a disabled veteran heavily dependent upon the graces of military compensation.  Because of the physical pain and psychological effects from PTSD, I am prescribed a regiment of several medications, including daily morphine.  In a way, the effects 9/11 contributed to my eventual circumstance, as my service during the war on terror caused me to endure the experiences aforementioned.

I can assure you that I was once in your shoes and probably felt a similar sense of discouragement.  I recall often questioning God on why He allowed this to happen to me.  I’m sure many families affected by 9/11 possess similar convictions.  I battled through my share of depression and guilt, while also feeling jaded and isolated from those who I felt somehow minimized or discriminated my complexities, even when some didn’t intend to do so.  I became a bitter person and developed a huge sense of social anxiety.  It was only recently that I became fully reconnected with my faith.  It took years for me to realize the blessings behind my pain and mental anguish.  For a long time I felt humiliated that I had to become dependent upon VA compensation.  As a husband and father, I often battled with feeling like a failure and a letdown knowing that I was not physically able provide for my family financially.  To be fair, the compensation I receive has been an absolute blessing, as it has allowed our family to grow closer since I am homebound.  Despite the circumstances, I now feel that my service to this country was sufficient enough, where as before I felt short changed and victimized.

Despite the weaknesses I have endured (whether it be physically or mentally), I take solace in knowing that I can find strength in God.  I felt compelled to respond to your experience by sharing with you my testimony, in hope that it will provide you with encouragement to know that there is something better that God has planned for you in the horizon.  You may not see it now, but you can have faith that God’s will is to help you overcome these adversities, while bestowing onto you a testimony worth sharing.  I pray that you get to that point sooner than later, but know that God will never leave nor forsake you…He’s with you every step in your journey, even when you are disgruntled and question His validity.

I pray that one day your trials will only remain in hindsight, and as you reminisce about your darkest days, I hope you remember that God never left your side.  Until that time, take solace in “your thorn”.  It may be painful and mentally exhausting, but in the end, God knows the reason why He is allowing you to endure it.  In time, what you consider anguish now will inevitably become a tremendous testimony to you, your children, and others.  Don’t let the negativity of your anguish define your faith in God or how you perceive your troubled life.  May it one day provide you with a legacy that enlightens, encourages, and inspires others.
9/8/2011 11:44:55 AM
Barbara United States
Barbara
On 9/10 my daughter Christina an American Airline Flight Att. came in from a flight from LAX to BOS.  Sarah Lowe and my daughter rode the subway home.  Talked about what they were going to do the next day, Sarah said she had picked up flight 11 the next day.  Christina, said she was tired and would pick up a flight later in the week.
9/11 we woke up to find flight 11 had been flown into the twin towers.  Not just Sarah and other friends of my daughter were on that flight.
I have praised the Lord that my daughter was spared that day, but am truly saddened by the loss of so many.
9/8/2011 12:06:53 PM
Susan Stultz Hauss United States
Susan Stultz Hauss
Wow, what a day it was.  My son and I had travled to Mississauga, Canada Sept. 6th for my friends wedding, Sept 7th.  We stayed a few more days for vacation. I had never been to Niagra Falls so on Sept. 10th we went over to see the falls. The next day we had planned to go to the American side of the falls and then possibly drive to the New York City.  We were on the road about an hour before we realized we had not brought our passports. I can only believe that Father God kept us from remembering them.  As the news came over the radio about something going on in New York, we did not fully understand until we had returned to my friends home that evening. It felt like we had been punched in the stomach.. I could not believe what I was seeing. We were stranded in Canada for four extra days due to the events.  It was the most sobering experience of my life. I am so sorry for all those precious souls that were taken that day but, I am so thankful that He choose to spare ours that day.  Gods ways are a mystery, but they are always good.

Sue
9/8/2011 4:40:29 PM
Jeff Sargent United States
Jeff Sargent
Blessings to all those who perished and to those left behind.  We live in Cheyenne, WY...home of F.E.Warren AFB.  At that time my now ex wife was in the Air Guard &our youngst daughter (1 1/2) was in Warren daycare. Watching TV at work & we realized what was going on.  We closed the office & the mini flag in my office I taped to my truck antanna.  By this time I got the word my wife & her unit was on full alert.  I went straight to the base to get my youngest. For 30+ minutes I sat within 75 yards of the front gate waiting.  I finally got out of my truck to approach the soldiers (having my hand streched out understanding the situation) to ask questions when 3 of them pointed their weapons on me...locked and loaded!  I explaing all I wanted was my daughter & pointed to the building which was in walking distance of the front gate.  They said no....lock down.  I said I would strip to my underwear and walk if they would let me.  No!  Scared, I contacted my ex-wife and went straight to my other daughters daycare to pick her up.  It was not until after 3 that my exwife was able to pull some strings to get her off the base where I met her and picked her up.  Going into survival mode I had picked up all my gas/jerry cans to fill them up.  I finally had both girls in my care.  Exwife on alert till unknown.  We went to the gas station where there was a long line....when my oldest asked "Daddy, what is going on??  Why do you have a flag?  Why are all these people here? Where is mommy? I think I'm scared?".  How do you answer those question to a 4 year old with what had happened?  I just told her "mommy has to work late, everything will be fine and God is with us."
9/8/2011 6:24:38 PM
Ken Paulsen United States
Ken Paulsen
While 9/11 was somewhat traumatic, especially for the young lady I had hired a month before, whose father worked in NYC (he was alright but it was awhile before Amada was able to be contacted by him), my story happened 45 days later when I served a 12 hour shift at St Paul's Chapel. Historic St Paul's which has George Washington's pew (when New York was capital of the US) was miraculously spared from the collapse of the twin towers by 2 large trees in its yard. They suspended normal services and became for 18 months a refuge for relief workers digging through the rubble, police, firemen and utility workers. The pastor of the church I was attending at the time was a Fire Department chaplin, an EMT and had connections with St Paul's, so he brought a  dozen people from the church for 12 hours of service, sorting donated items, serving food, guarding the gate from onlookers. We also made a run up and down the street serving coffee and snacks to police and other workers who couldn't get to the Chapel. Kelli mentioned visiting Ground Zero. I saw it on October 26, 2001 and there were people there still looking for lost loved ones. Then there was the policeman who kept a photo of a lost comrade under his jacket, close to his heart. So heart rending.
This coming Sunday my current church is having a picnic that was rescheduled from a couple of weeks ago because of Hurricane/Tropical Storm Irene. My wife and I volunteered to be on the serving line and as I do it I will let as many as I can know that I'm honoring those people who worked in the rubble and worked to keep order in the days and weeks that followed.
I've listened to K-Love online and been a financial supporter for almost 12 years, but now I get the chance to listen to 96.7 in my car for most of my 40 mile commute. God bless you for coming to New York.
9/9/2011 9:42:01 AM
Angela Bailiff United States
Angela Bailiff
I was folding laundry in my bedroom when I saw the news of the first plane hitting the tower. I never watched the news that time of day because my kids were small and we were usually watching kids shows. As I watched, the second plane hit. Stunned, I still wasn't sure what was happening. When the pentagon was hit, I started to panic and called my parents who didn't know yet because they were in a different time zone and not up yet. My baby sister was a flight attendant at the time and I wanted to make sure she was on the ground. Thankfully she was on call that day and not in the air yet. I spent the next several days shocked, mourning and praying with the rest of the country.  I didn't personally loose anyone that day but as an intercessor, I felt the heartache of so many of my fellow Americans. I still grieve for their loss  to this day.
9/9/2011 8:14:13 PM
Gene Cole United States
Gene Cole
On September 11, 2001 I was an EM2 in the US Coast Guard, stationed on the CGC Katherine Walker (WLM-552) in Bayonne, NJ.

That morning I was doing battery checks, when I came out of the Emergency Generator room, I saw the 1st tower on fire. I asked some of the other crew what was going on and they didn't know. I went inside to the mess deck and saw what was going on on the tv.

The second plane that hit the other tower had left Newark NJ airport and flew over the boat. I was inside the boat on the phone with my parents in Brandenburg, Ky. when the plane flew over and struck the 2nd tower.

After this happened the CO called the crew to the mess deck, and we were all watching the tv. He was telling us that he did not know what was happening, then the towers fell. After the towers fell, we started getting the engines started and ready to go up to Manhatten.

We were at the tip of Manhatten about 45 mins after they fell. We moored the boat on the north end of Battery park across from Battery Park City.

We helped offload bottles of water from tug boats that came over from NJ, there were also people getting off the tug boats to go to the scene to help with the rescue.

We offered the bottles of water, and a hose for people to use to wash off. Later on that day in the evening, building 7 of the World Trade Center complex fell down. No one was injured when it fell because it was already evacuated and the rescue workers were watching the building.

I attended what used to be Madison Baptist Church at that time in Madison, NJ. I know they have changed the name of the church, but I am not sure what it is. Thank goodness the people that were members of the church and worked in Manhatten had already gone through the WTC station. No one from the church was injured or killed.

In the days and weeks that followed I made videos of the area. I have not watched them since I made them.

I also remember seeing people as they were finally allowed back into their apartments to get some clothes and other things. What struck me the most was the shock that was on their faces. The look of despair, and fear of the unknown.

In 2001 I lived on Staten Island, and I would see the towers every day as I crossed the Bayonne Bridge. The first time I crossed it after the towers fell was very surreal because they were not there, but there was still smoke coming up from ground zero.

A few months later, I went to Manhatten and to ground zero. This was when they were still cleaning up, but had the walkway set-up so people could look at the site.

I was also stationed on Governors Island on the CGC Sorrel in 1993 when the WTC was bombed. I was not involved with any of the rescue/clean-up of this event. I did however a few days later see a hole that the bomb had made, as I was going to the PATH trains to go over to NJ.

I am deeply sorry for the families that lost so much on that day. I would one day like to visit ground zero again to pay my respects to the victims of this horrific event.

EMC Gene Cole USCG Ret.