Oct 18 2011

Technology and Kids

Are we introducing technology to our children too early? Share your thoughts here or on Facebook.

10/18/2011 3:59:22 AM
Miriam United States
Miriam
Studies now show a link in electronics and ADHD/ADD. What kids really need in face time with mom and dad. They are much more likely to get mom to do what they want than some electronic device.
10/18/2011 4:48:32 AM
Shanna Falgoust United States
Shanna Falgoust
Allowing our children access to technology at an early age in their development has it's pros and cons. A child showing frustration over something not going right it a typical reaction to any stimuli. While the toddler works on their eye to hand coordination, even building blocks can get frustrating to them. I watched my friend's 6 year old get upset trying to toss a tennis ball up and hit it like his big brother was doing, but he just couldn't get the timing on the toss and swing down. Although technology opens new doors to of interactivity and problem-solving...and is a good practice for our children in this technology-rich world, parents can't let technology be a baby sitter. Human interaction; how we emotionally and intellectually handle these social situations is just as crucial in child development and how they will handle things as adults. One thing I noticed with my nieces was their lack of imagination as kids. The whole family was over for lunch and I decided to get the girls outside for a picnic on our deck. I took chairs and blankets, lined the chairs up 90 degrees away from the railing, then covered the railing and chairs to form a canopy over our picnic. We sat on a blanket and ate our food. It shocked me when my oldest niece, amazed, asked, "how did I think of that?" it made me wonder where we are putting our priorities. Are we hurting our childrens imagination and their ability to have a dream? I think with proper parent involvement, technology can be a good thing; but like anything else, too much may just be...too much!
10/18/2011 6:29:53 AM
Karen United States
Karen
I think we need to limit what we expose our children too.  Quality time reading a REAL book with mom and dad, playing in the floor, or just having a conversation are simple tasks that so many children today can't do.  There is a time and place for technology, but to rely on it to "babysit" our children is not the answer.
10/18/2011 7:45:25 AM
Ellen United States
Ellen
We need to be careful with our assumptions. This one year old is figuring out that ipads react to touch and magazines don't. That's not a bad thing. We have no way of knowing that we will never like books or anything that's not related to technology.
Of course, family time and teaching patience with any new learning experience are essential. I think some supervised introduction of technology at an early age is ok and may even be beneficial in this new generation. Balance is needed and parents who keep their kid's development in mind.
10/18/2011 7:55:20 AM
Kathy United States
Kathy
Good Morning

Technology is training our kids to expect results now.  Our society is becoming a "now" society like top ramen, easy mac or t.v. dinners. They don't have the patience or respect for figuring things out from 'scratch" like Legos, Lincoln Logs etc. The satisfaction isn't instamatic enough. We can get a hold of someone immediately with our cell phones or email and not have to wait to talk to them and really enjoy the gift of time to be with someone. How often do people immediately call someone for support in a panic, or huff but if it wasn't so easy to get in touch maybe they would reach out to God, feel HIS presence, love and support.
10/18/2011 8:58:18 AM
Chris United States
Chris
Ok Lets not over react  Smile  If anyone has children they know they can buy them the "Perfect Learning Toy"  and they will enjoy the box it came in more.  They always continue to learn more by watching thier parents and mimic thier actions.