一月 03 2012

3..2..1..Happy New Year!

"At first when I noticed the little girl, honestly, I thought she was a doll floating upside-down," Willden told NBC's TODAY Show. "After that, I realized there's other lives in there; you need to just press on, get as many lives as you can."

So Willden, a former police officer, sprung into action.

"The first thought was, 'So this is it how it ends,'" Andersen said while choking back tears Monday…"This could very easily have been a funeral for four of us."

Child looked like a doll in the frozen river as ex-cop used gun and knife to rescue kids. msnbc.com

Sweden: Wedding ring 'found on carrot' after 16 years. BBC News

Preport: 'Angry Birds' downloaded 6.5M times on Christmas. USA TODAY

12. Do something really nice -- that no one knows about.

11. Spend more money on other people than I spend on my self. Love my neighbor as I love myself. And love myself as I love my neighbor.

10. Laugh often... especially at advertisements that try to convince me that I must buy more stuff in order to be happy.

9. Learn a new life skill - like carpentry, pottery, or canning vegetables. Teach someone else I life skill I know how to do.

8. Love a few people well, remembering that what is important is not how much we do but how much love we put into doing it.

7. Write a letter to someone I need to say thank you to. Write another letter to someone I need to ask to forgive me.

6. Track down a critic or someone I disagree with and take them to lunch. Listen to them.

5. Compliment someone I have a hard time complimenting... and mean it.

4. Choose life. Do something regularly to interrupt the patterns of injustice - do something to end violence, bullying, war, capital punishment and other mean and ugly things.

3. Pause before every crisis and ask "will this matter in 5 years?"

2. Get outside often and marvel at things like fireflies and shooting stars. And regularly get my hands into the garden... so when I type on the computer I can see dirt under my fingernails.

1. Believe in miracles. And live in a way that might necessitate one.

Huffington Post

Save Money Winterizing Your Car. Shine from YAHOO!

11 Sings You're Addicted To Twitter. big is the NEW small

Soul singer Aretha Franklin is engaged. CNN.com

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (3) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS
十二月 29 2011

New York, New York

Looking back at 2011, one of the biggest highlights for us was our trip to New York back in September.  We were there to honor all the lives lost ten years ago on 9/11 by serving at The Bowery Mission and The Relief Bus.  It was so much fun to do the show from the ABC News studios in Manhatten...in fact, the entire trip was life changing!

One part of our trip that impacted me the most was serving along side Mandisa and Tenth Avenue North at The Bowery Mission (see the photo below!). We had the opportunity to talk with James Macklin, the Director of Outreach at The Bower Mission, about his story.  I was blown away when  Mandisa sang "Stronger" for the guests and I walked away a different person, gaining more from serving than being served.

"Serving at The Relief Bus with Big Daddy Weave impacted me equally as we served soup to the homeless.  I was changed by serving at both of these ministries."- Scott

"I have to say that serving at The Relief Bus was life changing for me!  I was stunned to see that the face of homelessness has changed.  There were several people in business suites coming to get soup because they could not afford to buy lunch.  In fact, Mike Weaver, from Big Daddy Weave, shared about how it impacted him to be a part of distributing clothing and food that day.  It was a humbling and incredible experience."- Kelli

Listen this Saturday (12/31/2011) and Sunday (1/1/2012) from 2pm to 4pm Central to hear us talk  about all the Top Stories and Songs of 2011.

十二月 28 2011

From Flooding to Water of Life

Reflecting on 2011 this week, so far we have looked at Joplin's devastation and restoration as well as Gabrielle Giffords amazing story of love and strength.  Today we remember the horrible tragedy that took place back in March when an 9.0 magnitude earthquake and tsunami hit Japan.  Villages, towns, cities, ports, boats and houses were destroyed.  Lives were lost and all of Japan was impacted.

Although there was so much destruction something great took place.  Several people and organizations stepped up, came together, just to help.  Among the organizations was World Vision, Compassion International and Convoy of Hope.  These organizations helped create several relief effort needs with fundraising, sending people and supplies.  It was amazing to see so many organizations come together to support one tragic cause.  We asked you to pray for everyone impacted by this tragic event and you stepped up in a big way.

"'Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,' says the Lord who has compassion on you." --Isaiah 54:12

In 2011 we discovered that every day over 4,000 children are dying of water-related diseases due to unclean drinking water.  We took this cause head on with Compassion's Water of Life, a safe water system that protects a child from life-threatening diseases for life.  With your help we were able to send out several thousand Water of Life systems.  It was a great moment for us in 2011 to see your response to such a great need.

We have shared two more of our highlights of 2011.  Share your highlight or your personal moment with us here or on Facebook.

Thank you for making 2011 such a great year, looking forward to what God is doing in 2012.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (1) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS
Remarkable Love
Nov 15 2011

Remarkable Love

"Optimism is a form of healing, hope is a form of love," Mark Kelly.

"It's wise just to acknowledge the presence of miracles," one of the doctors.

It is remarkable to see how Mark put his life on hold to be there for Gabby and how he displayed his love by being patient, kind, understanding...

Gabby Giffords' Story

Actress Miley Cyrus is in the news today, defending herself as she has recently been called “fat.”  She is a beautiful girl!  The problem of superficiality in our culture will probably never change. However, as Christians, we can (and should) ask God to change our minds and our hearts. To change how we view others.  To see others as God sees them…as beautiful.

“For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.” Psalm 139:13

VOTE! Best Thanksgiving Side Dish Bracket Challenge: Round 1. Huffington Post

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (17) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

11/15/2011 2:10:30 PM
Jennifer Brackney United States
Jennifer Brackney
What a love story.  Crying watching the love that surrounds them.   God is Glorious.  Strength, courage and brave together.
11/15/2011 2:16:53 PM
JoAnne Foreman United States
JoAnne Foreman
My remarkable love story. I don't know how to shorten this. My husband, Kevin & married 36 years ago, I was just 18. 3 months before, I lost a 16have yr.old brother to auto accident. Seven years later, we lost another brother (age23) to boating accident. In 1994, I was diagnosed with breast cancer, had mastectomy & chemo. One year later, 2 nd diagnosis of same cancer. This time I had chemo, a bone marrow transplant, and radiation. In 2008 I was diagnosed with lung cancer, not metastatic breast ca, but a brand new disease for me. Once again surgery to remove part of my lung, followed by chemo. And if you think this is enough ....I was diagnosed with lung ca again this past April. Now for my love story ....I have seen so many spouses run in the opposite direction with just a little of the trials we have faced together, but mine sticks. He is very loving, no matter if I have hair, am puking my guts out, too sick to move...no matter if I can't remember to fix a meal (too much chemo ), or all of my (battle ) scars from surgeries,  he's been here through it all, the tears, the joy...and there has been much of that as well. We are truly blessed! God knew what He was doing when we married so young and naive ...My husband, my hero!
11/15/2011 2:38:06 PM
Wendy United States
Wendy
My remarkable love is the heartache of losing my little brother, best friend, awesome dad, wonderful son. It was a friday like anyother talked to him that morning and by one that afternoon he was gone. It was a accident at his work, we hope it was fast and no pain. When i got the call that he passed i told myself no it can't be....they are wrong.  He was 45 and the glue that held are family together. He loved unconditionally and never a negative mean word toward.anyone . I know God was proud of him and for some.unknown reason we lost him but to see him again. I love to listen to 'Save a place for me' . I heard it on klove and it was the prefect song. I don't understand why I lost my soulmate so young but I do know that he will be the first one at the golden gate to meet me. And this keeps.me going each day.at a time.  Save a place for me!
11/15/2011 4:09:10 PM
Deji Odulaja United States
Deji Odulaja
My remarkable love story is very simple. Someone who has shown so much love to me is my mom. She has always been there for me. I am 22 now and a student at Penn State University. Over the years in college, my mom has shown me so much love even when i thought i never deserved it. i have struggled with my academics all four years of college and even when things are looking bad and everyone else turns away from me, my mom is always there to pick me up and tell me that i could make it through. she is the only one who still believes in me and still thinks that i can pull through. i know that because of her, i am able to move on with life and feel assured that even when i struggle in life, i have someone who will always have my back. Now over the past two weeks with the whole Sandusky scandal at Penn State, it seemed that everyone i knew didn't understand what i was going through, but thank God for a great mom. there is nothing more a son could want than a mom like mine who kept me going through the rough past two weeks i've gone through at Penn State. i am so thankful to have a great mom like my mom( Abiola Olojo). Yes mom, i love you and you are so dear to my heart. forever always mine.
11/15/2011 4:11:02 PM
Carol United States
Carol
My remarkable love story is without a doubt about my amazing husband of 24 years.  He is the most supporting, loving, devoted man I know.  No matter what circumstance or situation we find ourselves in, good or bad he remains faithful and constant.  His love for me blows me away.  He tells me all the time how grateful he is for a wife like me; but I tell him, he has helped me be the wife I am because he lives out everyday what the Bible says, husbands love your wives as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for it.
11/15/2011 4:20:21 PM
Carole Sparks United States
Carole Sparks
My love story began 22 yrs ago, when I met my husband. We have been through much in our lives together, and in 2009 he was diagnosed with Carcinoid Cancer. He always told everyone when he introduced me that I was his gift from GOD! I always felt so blessed when he did that, and he meant it every time. Well, he lost his battle with Cancer in Feb of this yr. He was not afraid of dying, he knew he would be with GOD, he just did not want to leave me! I am in tears just writing this. He was my blessing from GOD!
11/15/2011 4:44:50 PM
John O'Sullivan United States
John O'Sullivan
When my son heard on the radio to call in and state who has affected you the most by their love he wanted to call in.  We tried but the line was busy, so he decided to post something on the blog.  The following are his words.

"The person who loves me the most is my dad, my mom, my brother Joseph, Nick Graham, Nicky Fecentese and Teresa."  "And Jesus loves me too."
11/15/2011 4:47:54 PM
jack owens United States
jack owens
My love story is for of course, my wife sheila.  4 years ago i was in a downtown business, man came in to rob the business, he point the gun at me, then turned to the attendant, when he put the gun in the attendants face, i grabbed him, we wrestled, he managed to shoot me and bullet travelled thu my body lodging in my chest.  my wife is out in the car watching this, she started the car, got the baby (which was with us) out of harms way, called 911 and then pulled around the building and got their description and direction of travel, they were caught by police.  she came back around and stayed with me, when emergency services arrived, the helicopter ride, while they told her i wasnt going to live, she had faith, stayed with me in the hospital the whole time. went thru theropy and the tears. i love her - she is my hero. God is awesome, and my wife of 17years, is pretty great too.. sheila, i love you more than words can say.   Jack
11/15/2011 4:48:34 PM
jack owens United States
jack owens
My love story is for of course, my wife sheila.  4 years ago i was in a downtown business, man came in to rob the business, he pointed the gun at me, then turned to the attendant, when he put the gun in the attendants face, i grabbed him, we wrestled, he managed to shoot me and bullet travelled thu my body lodging in my chest.  my wife is out in the car watching this, she started the car, got the baby (which was with us) out of harms way, called 911 and then pulled around the building and got their description and direction of travel, they were caught by police.  she came back around and stayed with me, when emergency services arrived, the helicopter ride, while they told her i wasnt going to live, she had faith, stayed with me in the hospital the whole time. went thru theropy and the tears. i love her - she is my hero. God is awesome, and my wife of 17years, is pretty great too.. sheila, i love you more than words can say.   Jack
11/15/2011 4:58:17 PM
Wendy United States
Wendy
My remarkable love story I can only credit to THE remarkable love in my life, Jesus.  He saved me and has stuck with me even when I have been faithless.  He has given me the most remarkable human love of my husband, Rob.  Rob demonstrated that faithful love to me in an amazing way the night and the days following that our first son was still born.  The day before was to have been his first father's day and the day after Samuel was born was to be our 10th anniversary.  Rob had gone with me patiently and faithfully through the past 10 years of infertility. The day Samuel was born, Rob was a great coach through labor even though his heart was breaking. He never once lost his temper or complained. He held me when I held our son and he was so strong though he was hurting so much too. In all the pain, I had forgotten the following day was our anniversary.  He didn't, and took me out to the courtyard in a wheelchair with a hospital vending machine coke and pack of chips to celebrate our anniversary and let me know that marrying me was a blessing to him. Years later, after adopting two sons, God blessed me with another pregnancy.  It was a rough go with a month hospitalization, and Rob faithfully cared for the two older boys while I was hospitalized, traveled the hour to visit me in the special care unit, took care of the house all while working full time without so much as a complaint or thought for himself, just concern for me and the baby, our now 12-yr-old Zach.  His love has been remarkable throughout our 25 and a half years.
11/15/2011 5:13:17 PM
Laura United States
Laura
I met my husband while in training in the Army. I had been dating my man less than five months when an acquaintance forced entry into my barrack room and raped me. I took full blame for what happened and "confessed" to God and to my future husband. My man forgave me. My personality completely shifted. We moved on to become engaged...and then I was moved to my permanent duty station in Germany...where I shared a barrack building w/my rapist for two years, a man who continued to stalk me, assault me, and verbally harass me. I developed Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. I began to make poor decisions that negatively affected my man. Through it all, my fiancé and then husband forgave me, not knowing what was really going on underneath all the poor decisions. I was eventually moved to his duty station when my tour was finished. I struggled w/rage, alcoholism, anorexia. I had medical problems that were nearly debilitating at times. Through it all, my husband stayed by my side. Over the years, God began to heal me of all my issues one thing at a time. Last year, as I was leading a Beth Moore Bible study (Breaking Free), God told me it was time to deal w/what happened. For the first time (13 years after it happened), I finally told my husband what really happened. His reaction was shocking,"That explains EVERYTHING. When you told me you had screwed up w/someone & told me you never wanted to see me again & slammed the door in my face, I walked away...and God told me when I reached the stairwell,'You don't know what happened, but GO BACK. She's the one.'" I am thankful for a man who listened to God and stood by my side when nothing made sense. And I am VERY thankful for a God who never let go of me. It is only by His grace and w/my husband's support, that I am healing.
11/15/2011 7:39:58 PM
Tabitha Shepherd United States
Tabitha Shepherd
My story of remarkable love is about God.About three weeks ago my friend, Greg, was diagnosed with terminal cancer.He passed away November 1st.God's remarkable love was in every moment of my dear friend's journey home.God showed him so much mercy and grace in his dying, as well as made a way for us to discuss openly all of the things that Greg needed to finish up to go home.Greg shared his fears, we prayed for forgiveness about things he felt were delaying his depature.The last day he was alert, the last things he said were, 'I feel so loved...I'm so happy...God loves me so much!'During this time, God also loved me.He prepared my heart to help Greg and to make God's word a top priority each day.I read him scripture 4 to 5 hours a day, prayed over him and asked for God's love and mercy for him. God loves us so much that, even when we feel we are unworthy of Heaven, He makes a way for us to be with Him in ALL things. He equips us with the necessary things to do His will...in our lives or the lives of others.God's love is everything and everywhere.God IS remarkably loving each and every one of us, every single second of every single day! THAT is remarkable love!
11/15/2011 10:12:48 PM
Alicia M United States
Alicia M
My remarkable love is my fiance Dan. Almost 3 years ago my boyfriend (now fiance) Dan saved my life. We were at the local gym working out. I was running on the treadmill while he was lifting. I've been active all my life and enjoy running a lot but this run was almost my last. I couldn't catch my breath and was having terrible left shoulder pain too. I was 23 at the time and just thought I pulled a muscle in my shoulder. I also became light headed and just felt weird. I wanted to just go home but by the grace of God Dan forced me to go to the hospital. I did not want to go but because be told me to we did. Not wanting to go to the ER we walked into same day care around 730 on Friday night November 21st 2008. I told the receptionist that "I am just out of shape and my shoulder hurts". Dan was there to fill her in on the rest. 4 months before I had developed a blood clot in my leg that was traveling to my stomach. The doctors had no other option then to place this filter in my vein to catch the clot from traveling up to my heart or brain which is deadly. With all that being said I was quickly taken back into the room. My memory has blocked out a lot of this because the last thing I remember is selling all the doctors around me in the ER and them not letting me get up to use the restroom.
My next and most vivid memory was waking up strapped to a bed with a tube stuck down my throat unable to talk and really breath. My mom was looking over and me saying its ok... You can't talk because you have a tube that is helping you breath. You just had emergency open heart surgery.
After a long night for Dan and my parents I was out of surgery about 4am. The filter that was placed to catch the blood clot and save my life had actually broken and a piece of it pierced my heart.
I am alive and healthy because of my wonderful soon to be husband Dan and all the wonderful doctors, nurses and all who were a part of that terrible night.
I saw a piece of artwork recently of an operating room with God guiding the hand of the doctor and knew that that picture was taken that night with me on the table.
God blessed me with Dan and wonderful doctors that horrific night almost 3 years ago.
I listen to your station all the time! Your station had lead me to be thankful for life and leave behind all the why me God thoughts that get me down.
Thanks for listening.

11/16/2011 9:20:56 AM
Ron Jones United States
Ron Jones
My remarkable love story is about my lovley wife Cherie. Aug.18th I was working 150 miles from home, when I suffered a massive heart failure. My wife immediately rushed to my side.( God was with her all the way) I was in surgery for 9 hrs and on life support for 8 days. She stayed with me the whole time except for going 153 miles back home to get cloths and arrange for someone to take care of her 93 yr old Mother. When I woke up, after 8 days, it crushed her that I did not know her for 3 days. She is so terrific and so dedicated, I don't even know how to begin to show her how much I appreciate all she does. She stuck right beside me for 19 aweful days and nights in the ICU. I am sorry to say there are not many spouses that would do that. She has held down her full time teaching job and nursed me back to health... I was released to go back to work yesterday. I realize it was Gods will that I live but Thank God for a loving atentive,caring, considerate,giving wife. I am so blessed.
11/16/2011 12:32:50 PM
Becky Sampson United States
Becky Sampson
Last nite you were asking for stories of exceptial love. In Ephesians 5 Paul instructs husband to love their wives as Christ loved the Church. My husband of 38 years treated me that way all of our life. He passed away 4 years ago very unexpectedly but before then he took care of me for several years through several illnesses. We had a Christ centered marriage and three wonderful children but after they were gone I was diagnosed with Clinical Depression. Roger stayed right beside me through some pretty rough times and never complained about a thing. He just kept loving me. I then had back surgery and was in a brace for 3 months. He had to do things for me he never expected to do but he did them with a smile and with love for me. He helped me though the death of my parents and two knee replacements.
Our love and our faith was steadfast thru all of it. Then we were challenged by open heart surgery for our son who was only 29 at the time.
A yeat later I was able to give back to my husband when he had the same open heart surgery as our son (a herditary condition).
We were just beginning to enjoy our retirement when my husband was called home to be with Lord, after hip replacement surgery. Through all the trials we had the last ten years of our life, God was faithful to us and we always felt his presence. And I saw the love of Christ in the care my husband gave me.
11/16/2011 2:17:14 PM
Preston M. United States
Preston M.
My remarkable love story is just the this.  I have a person in society, a best friend of mine, and a daughter of God that has always been one to be uplifting, caring, and striking in her words, whom un-conditionally loves me for me, especially in my worst times.  She has been through all of the valleys with me. unlike many others in the past which made me who i am today, who had left me because I was expressing who I was and my thoughts, which they could not handle, she has not.  I am so blessed to be able to call her my best friend, and my sister.
We met in a High school faith based community club, where then our relationship grew.  After I graduated, we grew apart, but God placed each other together near again, and we have grown in true love, care, respect through Him.  I am so grateful for the power of our Father and his power! My life would be completely different without my Best friend Sarah and my Father, I am certain.
11/16/2011 3:52:51 PM
Sylvia United States
Sylvia
I am thankful for my husband, Daniel. I am totally blind, have been for 14 years, due to Diabetes, and wrong type of insulin from a early age of 11. I lost my sight, a baby, my kidney and pancreas due to this,. Dec.3 of 2001 my uncle donated his kidney, on mother's day of 203 I recieved a pancreas, and now still alieve throught ehgrace of God and my husbands love and support. Daniel and I have been married for 16 years. I lost my sight only 2 years in to our marriage. PTL for his mercy