Dec 07 2011

Healthy Eating in the Holidays

We all struggle with eating healthy during the holidays, do I eat that doughnut or should I eat the carrot?

Is your kid eating dessert for breakfast? According to a new report on sugar in children's cereals published by the Environmental Working Group (EWG), more than half of the 84 brands tested contained at least 12 grams of sugar, or the equivalent of three teaspoons, per serving. New Report Slams Kids' Cereals. Shine from YAHOO!

Tree Trimmer Treats. Rice Krispies

Chinese police arrested 608 suspects and rescued 178 children in busts of two separate child trafficking networks, authorities said Wednesday. 178 kids rescued in China human trafficking bust. CBS News

How Many Calories Are You Eating? A Quick Cheat Sheet. Shine from YAHOO!

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (9) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

12/7/2011 3:37:08 PM
Ross United States
Ross
12/7/2011 3:51:28 PM
jo United States
jo
Im a catdog person. I have always had both. My cat is 17. My moms just passed away two days ago she was 17 1/2. They have seen their share of dogs come and go as have I. I love them both equally.
12/7/2011 4:02:38 PM
penny United States
penny
i disagree with your premiss that we are one or the other. i have had both cats and dogs. i get along well with all my friend's pets. i am definately extroverted (dog) and prefer witty humor (cat).
12/7/2011 4:18:34 PM
Elizabeth United States
Elizabeth
Hi scott and Kelli!
I am a big fan and suppporter of klove. on my commute home from work today, I caught the conversation regarding calories, fat content in holiday drinks and treats. This month I celebrated my two year mark in recovery from  my eating disorder. Pre-treatment, my world revolved around good food "carrot" or bad food "chocolate." IF I had consumed the 4 candy kisses discussed, it would have meant skipping meals in punishmnet. Calorie counters were my best friend. I could tell you whatever you wanted to know about what you were eating. counting and numbers were paramount to making it through my day. Since sthen I have learned to eat intuitvely. If a holiday treat looks good enough to eat, I will have some. If not, ill pass. The carrot would have always been the right answer for me before. Eating disorders are one of the most deadly mental health issues. Just last week a beautiful young woman in MN lost her battle. Men and women alike suffer. IF you struggle the way i have struggled, I encourage you to stay away from calorie counters. With Christ and Christ centered treatment, i believe full recovery and healing can take place. Thanks for letting me share.
12/7/2011 5:32:17 PM
Melissa United States
Melissa
Hi Scott and Kelli! First of all, I would like to say thank you for all you do. KLOVE has been a consistent source of encouragement and inspiration in a world that I believe is hard to come by. I do, however, want to say that your segment on calories and the labeling of certain foods as "good" or "bad" was extremely discouraging. After a decade long, life-threatening battle with anorexia and bulimia, I finally found freedom and regained my life through Christ, and a Christ-centered treatment facility. I consider myself fully recovered, but it can still be frustrating living in a world that has such a unhealthy view on food and weight. I guess this is why I was so disappointed when I heard KLOVE jump on the societal band wagon of food and weight paranoia, and especially during the holidays, I feel like I just can't get away from all of the talk. Food was not meant to carry a moral value of "good" or "bad". Eating some chocolate on special occasions does not make someone "bad" or constitute a "bad" decision, no more than eating a carrot means you have been "good", hopefully is just means that you are making balanced decisions and indulging in both. Smile I consider myself extrememly blessed to have been able to find true freedom from this way of thinking, and I want to encourage anyone struggling with any form of an eating disorder that hope for freedom is real. The holidays do not have to be filled with anxiety or worry about food, calories, and counting the calories that we do or do not put in our mouths. Let's gain some perspective about what Christmas and life all together is really about. It's not about food, weight, or worrying what we look like, but living life, cherishing and celebrating relationships, and trusting God's creation of our bodies amazing ability to tell us when we are hungry and when we are not, and that it is OKAY to have a few hershey's kisses or a peppermint mocha from Starbucks. Smile I am cherishing this season that I am alive and have the opportunity to take part in every aspect of the holiday season. I hope and pray everyone else can too. Merry Christmas!
12/7/2011 7:39:16 PM
Tracey Campbell United States
Tracey Campbell
Hey Kelli,
One thing on the cat vs dog debate...".Cats rule & dogs drool!"I'm a cat lover, currently my daughters & I live w/my mom & between the four of us we have 7 cats! 3 belong to my girls, 1 is a rescue from this summer, 2 are 6 month old brothers that my mom rescued this fall, & the oldest is my mom's old cat! Yes, we love kitties! Smile Have a great day!
12/9/2011 2:28:16 PM
V. United States
V.
I heard your update of the family with 19 children experiencing a miscarriage.  The book Heaven Is for Real by Todd Burpo relates 4 year old Colton's experience of being taken to Heaven and returning.  When he was there, he met his older sister who had been miscarried.  It is an incredible story and a must read for those in pain.  The book will not diminish loss or pain, but it will refresh faith and peace.
12/9/2011 3:26:28 PM
Tiffany United States
Tiffany
As for the Mitten State debate... Michigan CLEARLY wins! If you put your hand in a mitten and hold it up your hand will look exactly like Michigan...  besides, that's how we GANDERS tell people where we live! Smile Tiffany
12/12/2011 12:57:26 PM
un-name able United States
un-name able
hey guys,
i just wanted to ask for a prayer for my best friend! she is really sick right now and she may not live much longer! everyone at our church and her family and escpecially her are terrified! they get the test results back today to see if she will be able to survive! i'm sooooo scared right now! i've been begging and crying and praying to God for help! i think the more prayer she gets the more hope she'll and everyone else would have. i haven't talk to her yet...she's probaly to upset to tell anyone what happened or her mailman hasn't came yet! Smile thank you and please let everybody you know she desperately needs prayer right now, she's a strong girl and i'm praying that she'll make it! thank you guys!

love,
your best friends broken heart! Frown