Apr 23 2012

Unsung Heros Making A Difference

Some unsung heroes that often go unnoticed.

Giuliana and Bill Rancic are expecting! USA TODAY

New Instagram guidelines ban anorexia, cutting and other self-harm. TODAY

Lessons from Chuck Colson: A Heaven-Bent Transformer of this World. Christian Post

World Book Night celebrates reading with paperback handouts. USA TODAY

National Parks Free Until April 29. The Denver Channel

It's a tall world...Starbucks to open in Disney parks. MSN

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (21) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

4/23/2012 12:55:28 PM
Stephanie in VA Beach United States
Stephanie in VA Beach
Hi Scott and Kelli,
Our dear friends (and cousins) have a 13-year old boy whom they've supported sacrificially for many years in order for him to pursue his gymnastics goal.  We continue to pray for them all as he is a contender for the 2016 Olympics.  They forgo vacations, spend their weekends at the bingo hall to suplement fees, and sacrifice things we often  take for granted as it is an expensive endeavor both financially and in time commitments. Thank you for sharing this video as the parents rarely get the credit they so richly deserve.
4/23/2012 1:37:53 PM
Michele Hahn United States
Michele Hahn
My unsung hero is my very best friend, Kerry Heider.  She is best described as the one who goes above and beyond to get through to you.   Just recently she placed her own wants aside to care for me and my family when I was suddenly hospital.   She took me to the hospital, stayed while I was admitted, took care of my kids and my husband while I was admitted and picked me up when I was released.  Without her, that time would have been hectic and chaotic.
4/23/2012 1:52:48 PM
Rebecca United States
Rebecca
Special education teachers are unsung heros that we should celebrate! As a student who is pursuing a career in teaching, I had  to observe a special education classroom with many medically fragile kids. Seeing the dedication of the teacher and teacher's assitants, feeding the kids, changing their dipers and whipping their face from mucus and saliva, made me realize the love these heros have for the one's who many in our society wouldn't even get close to. These kids are taken care of by complete stralpngers who love their job because these kids are no different from the rest of us. God bless ourSpecial Education teachers!
4/23/2012 2:02:39 PM
Brian United States
Brian
Unsung hero for make a difference Monday; I want to give a shout out to Shiloh who is currently serving in Asia as an active evangelist. Shiloh is a 12 year old girl, and from the idea that came out of her kind and loving heart, our church has agreed to launch a new ministry on her behalf called "Shiloh's Vision". This ministry is purposed to begin a safe house for the over 200 women who intend to abort their child tonigh because they cannot support them for their lack of funds, and heightened poverty in this country. Because of Shiloh's heart, God is currently in the works of providing safety for these women, and saving countless lives from un-aborted babies.
4/23/2012 2:25:04 PM
Shelly Norman United States
Shelly Norman
‎Lorene Carpenter Norman, my mother-in-law, for without her I never would have made through the last few years. She has stood by and never judged. She helped out when we had a need and she encouraged me to do the Coats 4 Kids program. I love her so very much. She makes me want to be a better person
4/23/2012 2:43:32 PM
victor United States
victor
My wife, May is my unsung hero. She has managed to stay by my side thru 23 1/2 yes of marriage. Better, worse, richer, poorer... she has always been there for me. We have definitely had our problems that would have split up many couples but with Gods help we have made it through. I work strange schedules and she always manages to keep the house clean and has dinner ready when I get home.

She has raised our 5 children pretty much by herself because of my jobs.They are all grown now and visit on a regular basis. She now has fibromyalgia and arthritis and still does what she can to help others.

May has always been there for me and I love her so much. This is why she is my unsung hero
4/23/2012 2:44:32 PM
Holly United States
Holly
Our unsung hero...Kelsie B., our son's birthmom.  There are no words to describe how amazing and wonderful she is.  She chose adoption for her son because she loved him so much and knew she couldn't fulfill all of his needs.  We are so blessed to have a healthy, happy son, thanks to her amazing love and selflessness.  I thank God everyday for the amazing birthmoms out there that chose life for their babies and are stepping out in faith in choosing another family to raise their child.
4/23/2012 3:03:57 PM
gail United States
gail
My hero is my dad , and my father-in law, i watched them loose their lives my dad from cancer,and my father-in-law from kidney failer ,my dadwas a faithful man of god, myfather gave his heart to the lord the,the  night he died
4/23/2012 3:21:18 PM
Elise United States
Elise
My unsung heroes are my twins.  Isaiah and Arielle were born at 28 weeks on April 26th, 2010, weighing a very tiny 2lbs 8oz and 2lbs 5oz.  Isaiah's handprints at birth were the size of a quarter, and Arielle's footprints were the size of a large paperclip. They have endured numerous trials and had to overcome so many obstacles.  Isaiah was very sick at birth, unable to be held by his loving mom and dad for 5 weeks, and diagnosed with Chronic Lung Disease in the NICU.  Arielle struggled as well with a heart condition, case of NEC, and a severe milk protein intolerance.  Those descriptions only scratch the surface of what they went through in the NICU.  After a long 78 and 91 days in the NICU, my twins came home to countless doctor and specialist visits, and repeat hospital stays in order to help them thrive.  They (and preemies in general) do not get a lot of credit for being little miracles unless someone knows their story or asks about them.  Yet, they have fought so hard to be here...to be alive, and to be a part of our family.  Not a day goes by where I don't think about what they have gone through with all the needles, transfusions, treatments, medicine, etc.  They have endured it all, knowing only that we love them and God loves them.  Today we struggle with some developmental issues, my daughter's heart condition, and vision issues requiring glasses for both.  However, just by looking at them you would never know they were born that early.  They are healthy and thriving in our eyes.  My beautiful miracles will be 2 years old on Thursday!  I really could not be more proud of them.  Even as their mother, I am humbled in their presence when I think about the past 2 years and where they started at.
4/23/2012 3:31:01 PM
Olivia United States
Olivia
My unsung hero is my beautiful sister Cecilia. Besides the fact that she is the most gorgeous girl I know and has a heart set for God, she is my unsung hero for her faith.  Cecilia has heart disease and will probably need intervention in the next few years.  But that has not stopped her one bit and it has only made her stronger in her faith and love for God!  I am inspired by her and in awe of how this 12 year old is making such an impact.  She is the 2012 American Heart Association Red Cap Survivor and doing so much more. God is using this beautiful girl for his glory and I can't wait to see Him continue to use her for His kingdom to come! I love you so much Cecilia!
4/23/2012 3:31:40 PM
deborah butler United States
deborah butler
my best friend Mariah Ellis is my unsung hero. She is always there for me. When i get picked on shes ready to go off on them. She went home crying everyday after school because i was picked on. every time i cry she knows and wont leave my side tell i stop. i cant be even more thankful to her.
4/23/2012 3:49:15 PM
Rachael Brown United States
Rachael Brown
My unung hero is my dad. He has work so hard for his family(wife a 9 kids). He never asks for anything. He always try to teach us the way we should go with just talking or Bible studies at night. I thank God for him everyday.
4/23/2012 4:07:57 PM
Debra Gregg United States
Debra Gregg
My unsung hero is my husband.  He such a man of God. His relationship with God is first and then his family comes next.  My husband is a pastor and even with all the responsibilities of being a sheperd, he has still put his family first.  Our three daughters are grown and have been out living on thier own for some time. About 8 months ago our oldest daughter's husband passed away unexpectedly. There daughter at the time had just turned 2. They lived in Texas at the time and we live in New Mexico.  We offered for our daughter and granddaughter to come live with us and she readily accepted.  I have been awed watching my husband take on the "male figure" role for our granddaughter and being there for our daughter when she needed a big bear hug.  Once again, he has put his wants and needs on the back burner and is putting his family before everything except God.  I am so blessed to be sharing a life with this man. I know that there will be many jewels in his crown when he gets to his final home.
4/23/2012 5:35:27 PM
Alesha Goins United States
Alesha Goins
Hi Scott. I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2007. My Marriage was on a path of Divorce, but we were trying to work through it for our daughter. Once we found out that I had Breast Cancer, my Husband stepped up and became my unsung hero. There were plenty of days that he just wanted to run away or drop me off at my Parents house. But, he never did. Every time that the Doctors said I needed to try a new prescription or have surgery, my Husband began to research. He read everything he could on Breast Cancer, Medication, and Surgery. And, as the years have gone by, our Marriage has only become stronger. Praise the Lord! With the Chemo, Losing all my hair and becoming bald, Nausea and Vomiting, Mastectomy and Reconstruction, Radiation, and the ten plus surgeries - he has been there for me through it all. We thought we finally had the Cancer beat. Then, in January of 2010, the Cancer came back full force. It spread into my right Lung, my lower Spine, my right Rib Cage, and my Liver. We felt very defeated. We prayed to the Lord, and cried many nights. Had a few more surgeries, and some more Meds added to my list of many. But, the true miracle was that I was able to give birth to a son. We were told after Chemo that we would never be able to have any more children. We knew once my son was born, that GOD truly was in our lives. Now we have two beautiful gifts from GOD, our children. We take every day as if it were our last. But, I could never have made it without my Husband. He has given me strength when I had none. He has been a shoulder to cry on when I just couldn't take any more. He has been there to hold my hair back and wipe my face when I was sick. He really is my Angel from GOD.
4/23/2012 5:58:12 PM
Sami Steffel United States
Sami Steffel
My HERO is my bestfriend Larry Mullins. We met working together at a McDonald's 18yrs. ago. He happens to be in a wheelchair and has been since I met him, that didn't stop him from working for the LORD.He use to drive me crazy talking about GOD all the time. I was 16 yrs old at the time and making all the wrong decisions and he was trying to help me by planting the seed and teaching me GODS word. Sometimes I would listen and sometimes I wouldn't. As the years went on I parted from him for about ten years and lived my crazy life. I came back in his life about 4yrs ago and called him up to tell him I was going to church, at first he didn't believe it because throughout those 10yrs. I would call him when I was down and out. He prayed consistently for 18yrs waiting for me to come to the LORD and I did. In fact my daughter, my husband and I all got saved and then baptized at the sametime 3yrs ago and Larry was there to witness it. If it wasn't for him praying for me all those years and me keeping what he taught me about JESUS I am not sure where I would be today. We still talk everyday and GOD has blessed me with a great friend. GOD worked through him to get to me and he's my HERO!
4/23/2012 8:11:40 PM
Angela United States
Angela
My un-sung hero would have to be my adopted spiritual mom Nan.  I met Nan through a grief workshop I attened after the loss of my son Ethan.
I realized not long after her first embrace how there was something unique and special about her.  First of all, through my past of being sexually and physically abused me allowing someone half that close was a miracle.
Secondly, I was so afraid of God and struggled believing he really loved me.  I thought the fact my own biological parents being unable to love me and if there was a God if they didn't love me then he didn't either.  With all the abuse and loss in my life that he allowed I thought it was just a way to punich me.
However, as time passed this amazing woman kept loving me, being affectionate with a love I now consider being from Jesus in the form of an earthly willing child of his.  Bottom line, she adores me even when I screw up, she keeps loving me and they have allowed me to be part of their family.  Even with my mistakes, my past and my insecurties.
She showed me how Beloved I am, who's I am, and what I have to look forward to.  She taught me how to pray and allow Jesus to be #1 in my life.  She baptised me.
Everyday I thank God for her.  I thank her for allowing God to use her in my life the ways he has.
And I am inspired by her... the way she loves as Jesus does...the way she cares for the lost and broken.  I am not the only one shes loves, because she loves so many so well.
But she always reassures me she isn't going anywhere and I am a little extra special.
I cannot even begin to put into words what she has done for me, but the things she has taught me are even that much more priceless.
The once quiet, timid, shamed, God fearing (in a bad way) Little girl; has been made something beautiful.  All because God used this un-sung hero in my life.
Nan is my HERO! I love you Nan and as always, Thank you JESUS!
4/24/2012 2:34:56 PM
Callie Bujol United States
Callie Bujol
Hey Scott and Kelli!
I just want to say that my unsung hero is my youth minister, Ross Adams. He does so much for our church and youth. God has/is certainly using him as a tool to bring others to Him, and Ross is amazing at it. He's always there for anyone at all, at anytime of the day or night. We can go to him with ANY questions no matter what they are, and he will answer them the best he can, give us advice, use scripture, or will tell us about a past experience. Him and his wife, Steph, are the most selfless people I know and will open their home to anyone. They are a true gift from God for me, my church, and my town. They will never understand the impact they have had on us and how much we adore and love them to death. He and Steph have helped me through a lot and have always been there for me. They are truly my unsung heroes.
4/24/2012 6:38:36 PM
Leslie United States
Leslie
His name is Paul Epps. I've never met someone more in love with Jesus than he. He prays in the spirit at his work [very loudly] all day long! He sits in the mall with a sign "i'd love to pray for you". God has healed many people through his prayer and he inspires so many more. His passion is contagious like a wildfire and daily saves my soul.
4/24/2012 10:44:58 PM
Leone Johnson United States
Leone Johnson
My unsung hero has to be my 7th grade math teacher. In 7th grade I was very suicidal, and on the day I was going to kill myself, Mrs. Thacker partnered me with a sweet boy who saved my life just by genuinely caring about me and what I was talking to him about.
4/24/2012 11:41:33 PM
Donna Lukis United States
Donna Lukis
My hero is Kathleen Vesche. I was her caregiver for 4 yrs and I learned alot from her. I brought her to the Lord and she loved me for whom i am. I took care of her in her home for 3yrs. The other yr she spent in a home. But we had no one in our lives to compliment us,so every day when i was to arrive at her home she would greet me,and she would be there at the front door looking so pretty all dazzeled up and id walk in and she always said Donna you look so pretty today. She made me feel good about myself. I looked forward to seeing her every day.She listened to my problems and tried to help me. I loved her so much,she has now just passed away last Saturday and I will miss her deeply.We helped each other with our loneliness.
4/27/2012 2:51:57 PM
Ysenia DeCortes United States
Ysenia DeCortes
My hero is Kiernan Mote. She is my best friend since we were two and no matter what she has always been there for me and all the other people around her. She is my hero because she helped me find god and changed my life with that simple act. She is always trying to be the better person in any situation. Right now she is going through a tough time but still manages to help others with their problems. I believe she is an amazing hero. i love her with all my heart.