Apr 24 2012

Unsung Love

Weird Emotional Moment

Don't be afraid to be different! That's what makes YOU... YOU! It's time to Redefine Beauty!

Poem

You are who You are for a reason.

You're part of an intricate plan.

You're a precious and perfect unique design,

Called God's Special woman or man.

You look like you look for a reason.

Our God made no mistake.

He knit you together within the womb,

You're JUST what he wanted to make.

The parents you had were the ones he chose,

And no matter how you may feel,

They were custom designed with God's plan in mind,

And they bear the Master's seal.

No, the trauma you faced was not easy.

And God wept that it hurt you so;

But it was allowed to shape your heart

So that into his likeness you'd grow.

You are who you are for a reason,

You've been formed by the Master's rod.

You are who you are, BELOVED,

Because there is a GOD!

~ Russell Kelfer

Teenagers drinking hand sanitizer to get drunk. USA TODAY

‘American Idol’ Scotty McCreery hit in throat while pitching for high school baseball team. YAHOO! SPORTS

Harden being evaluated, World Peace awaits suspension. USA TODAY

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (31) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

4/24/2012 1:02:53 PM
Sylvia Alonzo United States
Sylvia Alonzo
Wow! Now I'm bawling like a baby...at work. What a beautiful reminder that we are loved. Thank you for posting.
4/24/2012 1:38:09 PM
Jim Bures United States
Jim Bures
Hi Scott,

I was touched to hear about your Pheasant hunting friend. I am sorry you lost him.

I have been blessed in that noone I know has died recently. But in 1996 my best college buddy, George Korizis, died unexpectedly of heart failure. He had been my friend when I first suffered depression. Later I would become diagnosed with bipolar disorder. At the time, this friend George carried me through. He was the only person who took an interest in me. He was from Greece and he actually invited me over for a week during the summer of 1993.

I don't know what would of happened. Because of the bipolar disorder I lost a lot of friendships as I expressed myself in unique and unsettling ways. But I always think of that friend George Korizis. I gave $1,000 in his name to our University. Every time I talk with people from Greece (and typically these people are pizza place owners) I think of him and talk fondly about the things I learned about Greece.

Souvlaki is just so good.

Thanks for being man enough not to fear crying on nationally syndicated radio. I heard the tears well up in your voice. You and Kelli are part of why I enjoy K-Love so much. The message is so positive and you guys have fun. But you are not afraid to make it real either.

Love, Jim Bures
4/24/2012 1:50:57 PM
Tamela United States
Tamela
Scott, Just listening to your voice as you shared this moment I could tell you Love your dad very much! I have been so blessed to have a huge Godly influence in my life. From My Mother, Grandmother and especially My Mother & Father in Law. I had one of those moments last year Ironically on my Big Girl Birthday. I was visiting a member of our home congregation in Hospice when a family friend said to them, "ya'll come go with us to the poor house" That was always my father in laws parting words, he subscribed to the belief that he owned nothing it all belonged to God, which he practiced daily in word, deed and finance! He would always tell my Children if you don't have Jesus Poor would be a step up!!!.

Blessings and Grace!
TFG
4/24/2012 1:57:07 PM
Melea United States
Melea
Hey Scott!

This is kind of similar to your weird emotional moment. I am going to graduate college in 3 weeks. I had been struggling with my decisions as to what I am going to do after I graduate! I had been thinking about graduate school but had just gotten rejected from one of my top choices. I was packing up some of my stuff in my closet since I will be moving soon, when I found an old purse my grandmother had made me when I was in high school. I hadn't seen it in years, nor did I ever really pay attention to it. I flipped it over n on the bottom it said ' Jer 29:11 don't forget. . Love grammie" I immediately looked up the verse and was astounded by the message. It was the most amazing feeling to know that 8 years ago my grandmother  struggling with alzheimers just casually wrote that message on the bottom of a purse, not knowing how desperately I needed to hear it later. God truly does have a plan for all of us!
4/24/2012 1:57:22 PM
Lori Rice United States
Lori Rice
Hi Scott,
Thank you for sharing your story of being reminded of your dad.  I too have a similiar story about my mother in law.  My mother in law LOVED LOVED shopping at JCPenny.  She lived in the mountains of KY and did not have a store close by so when she came to visit us in Indianapolis I would take her to Pennys.  She called it her "therapy".  In the summer of 2009 she was diagnosed with Multiple Myloma which is a type of cancer.  She went through a lot of treatment.  In Jan. of 2011 she was considered to be in remission and was visiting us in late Febuary.  She was still weak from all the chemotherapy she had endured and had not grown her hair back.  Even in her weakened condition she wanted me to take her to JCPenny.  She had a very productive shopping trip and when we came home she modeled all her clothes.  One suit in particular was a beautiful blue satin suit.  She asked over and over how she looked in it and each time I told her she looked beautiful.  She told me that was the suit she wanted to be buried in.  My heart broke and the tears began to fall.  I said to her,"You're in remission!  Why are you talking about what you want to be buried in?"  She just smiled and told me that it was okay because she was ready to go and that she had a feeling that the cancer had already come back.  She left my house on March 2,2011 and went home to be with the Lord on April 21, 2011.  It has been a tough year.  At Easter time I was in JCPenny and was looking in the dress section when I looked up and I saw my mother in law looking through the dresses as I had remembered seeing her a little over a year ago.  I could still see her concentration and smile as she shopped.  I was overcome with emotion when I saw that image in my mind because it was the last time I had the privilige of taking my dear mother in law shopping.  Thanks for allowing me to share this story.  God bless, Lori
4/24/2012 2:03:27 PM
Laura Jensen United States
Laura Jensen
Scott, I am so sorry for the loss of your father. Your story reminded me of my grandmother who passed two years ago and meant the world to me. Like your story, I was recently reminded of my grandmother when I saw a patch of wild blackberries growing by the road.
My grandmother grew up during the depression. She lived by the motto "waste not, want not."  She taught me to take advantage of the bounty of nature. She showed me how to harvest berries from the woods, gather walnuts from the ground under the walnut trees, and pick wild rhubarb and asparagus.
I am lucky that I am able to meet my five year old when he gets off the bus from Kindergarten. A couple of weeks ago, on our walk home from the bus stop, I showed my son how to pick and wash and eat the blackberries. That night, snuggled up beside me and getting ready for bed, I told him stories of my grandmother teaching me to pick berries when I was his age. To my surprise, his response was, "tell me more." I did and her legacy lives on.
God bless!
Laura
4/24/2012 2:05:10 PM
Janet United States
Janet
Scott, I've been listening to you all afternoon via iHeart radio on my iphone. You've mentioned about your father and his hunting trip several times. As I was listening to you just now I just realized that my dad died 3 years ago today, which happens to also be my oldest sisters' birthday. As I write this, I have tears in my eyes, I knew this day was coming around again soon and I thought I would get through it okay but the flood gates just opened. I miss him alot but I know he is no longer suffering and is definately in a better place. Thank you for being who you are and sharing.

Bless you!
Janet
4/24/2012 2:06:55 PM
Tamela United States
Tamela
Is it just me or have we all just confirmed that the Holy spirit is within us and as such helps us to remember the "important" things, and allows us to reach out to all mankind and shout OUR GOD HE IS ALIVE and he has a plan and purpose for all of us that believe and are called according to HIS purpose!
4/24/2012 2:09:11 PM
Charlotte Noriega United States
Charlotte Noriega
My memory is for my Papa that died of COPD 3 years ago. Papa was at his home with his family surrounding him as he was dying. The moment he passed I went outside for a breath of fresh air. Outside was the most beautiful full moon. Every full moon I remember my Papa, feel him in my heart. This is God's comfirmation to me that Papa is in the Glory of Him.
4/24/2012 2:13:25 PM
Sheryl United States
Sheryl
Hi Scott!  I was sitting in my car when I heard your emotional story about your dad and the pheasant.  I had a similar moment just recently.  My husband and I were cleaning out our garage and I came across a pan.  Now this is not an ordinary pan - my Dad fashioned this pan to fry fish.  Dad loved to fish the river.  We had cabins on the river all through my childhood.  Every summer Mom and Dad would host these huge fish frys at our cabin.  I had forgotten that I had this pan in the garage.  My Dad died in 1987 and when I saw the pan again, all these memories came flooding back.  Our (there were 6 of us kids) childhood was not an easy one, but that pan brought back some of the most fun times I can remember.  My brother and his wife are now building a cabin on the same river.  I gave the pan to them.  It belongs on the river in a cabin!  Now our family is looking forward to continuing the legacy of the fish frys!!
4/24/2012 2:14:07 PM
Candace Neeley United States
Candace Neeley
Hi Scott,
Your story about your dad reminded me a lot about my father-in-law. We lost him to a heart attack May 26, 2011. He and a friend always used to ride bikes in their neighborhood and one day they noticed a lot of change on the street as they were riding. From that day on, anywhere he went, but especially while riding his bike, he picked up every penny (and all other change) that he saw on the ground. After my mother-in-law saw what he was doing, she would "bait" his path every morning on her way to work. Before leaving the neighborhood, she would drive around throwing pennies out of her car window. Every night she would hear the stories about all the change he found. He never knew she did this, but it sure made him happy to find that change. After he died, my husband, daughters and I all started doing the same. All spare change we found on the ground became known as "Peepaw Pennies" and they went into an empty baby food jar dubbed the "peepaw jar". Everytime we see a peepaw penny, we think of him and usually every penny found is followed by a funny story about Peepaw. We have three daughters, ages 1,3 and 5. Our middle daughter started "finding" a large amount of peepaw pennies and one day we noticed her getting them from the counter where my husband always emptied his pockets. We explained to her that those aren't peepaw pennies because they weren't really found, they were taken from Daddy. She protested, saying "they are too Peepaw pennies" and we kept saying 'no, they are not" then she asked, "then why does it have his picture on it?"
My girls aren't really old enough to remember a lot of things about their peepaw, but within days of this happening, the same daughter, who had just turned 3, out of the blue told us that Peepaw had been in her room all night long and he was standing by her bed. She has only said it the one time, and she stands by her story everytime she is asked about it.
Then just yesterday, while moving a bunch of old photos and videos from an old computer to a new computer, we ran across a video of Peepaw that none of us even remembered that we had. It has been 11 months since we have seen him or heard his voice and this video just kind of stopped us in our tracks.
All of this helps me to know that we WILL see him again some day, and until that day, I truly do believe that he is watching over my girls.
4/24/2012 2:16:30 PM
Chris Steininger United States
Chris Steininger
Scott - I resonated with your emotions resurfacing unexpectedly about the death of your father.  I had an incredible grandfather who passed away in 2003.  We did all kinds of things together and I loved him dearly.  Last summer I was visiting family (my aunt) in the Pittsburgh area and decided to play one of the golf courses my grandfather and I used to play a lot when I visited him.  I had not played that course in probably 25 years but surprisingly enough I remembered quite a bit of it.  There was one hole in particular that as I was driving up the fairway I could see my grandfather walking and talking with me when we used to play together.  That was the first time I have ever cried on the golf course!  I couldn't even see where I was trying to hit my next shot.  I felt so close to him at that moment and it came from out of nowhere.  But I really feel that God gave me that moment to remember how special of a man he was in my life.  Thanks for sharing the story about your dad.
4/24/2012 2:17:10 PM
Mary United States
Mary
Hi Scott,
I cried as you talked about Pheasants and how that reminded you of your dad. I felt your loss and I know the pain of missing your dad. Mine left to be with Jesus 17 years ago this past March 30. My dad had a love for ducks and especially the Mallards. I have a park close to me here in Arizona and I will go there and visit the Mallards and think of my dad. Every once in a while a flock of two or three will fly over my house and my thoughts instantly go to my dad.  My dad had a heart attack on the golf course doing what he loved too but fortunately we got to have a few more years before he passed from complications from a kidney transplant.  I know and you know they will be there waiting for us when we get to go home too.  I know my dad is no longer in pain and enduring failing health and that he is walking those streets of Gold in God’s kingdom.  My dad’s favorite saying used to be “if you think you are going to be sick you will be” and I had an acquaintance tell me those exact words on the anniversary of his death.  It brought instant tears to my eyes!
Praise God ><>  Mary
4/24/2012 2:24:32 PM
Erika United States
Erika
There was a man named nick named Butch that was my Dads best friend when I was young. Butch was closer than a grandfather to me, he taught me many things.  Often times I would come home from school to see him sitting on the porch swing waiting for someone in the family to come home, I called him our family guardian, we would come up with all kinds of things to do on my families farm.
  In April 2006 Butch was diagnosed with lung cancer.  He was so sure in his Faith that God would heal him. God kept his hand on my Butch and he never experienced any pain. God did heal him, three weeks after diagnosis Butch got to meet Jesus face to face with a new set of lungs.
   I have an earing that he made me and I wear it the entire month of April, when I see it in the mirror it always makes me stop and thank God for the time I had with my guardian.
4/24/2012 2:25:22 PM
Scot Mackenzie United States
Scot Mackenzie
Hey Scott,

Thanks for sharing your story about your grandfather. Like you I have one of those wierd moments too. Two years ago my grandmother died of a Urinary Tract Infection as a result of not being able to move because of her Multiple Sclerosis. Her death was the first death I have ever experienced in my life. I was very close to her but because of MS we werent able to do alot of things together. Anyways, at her funeral reception there was a slideshow playing with pictures of her and a song playing. This song was "Somewhere over the Rainbow", now whenever I hear this song I get real sad and remember her.

All her life my Grandmother was a quaker however, when she was in the hospital before she died, she asked the Lord to come into her life. Every time I hear this song it reminds me of her and I know she is just "over the rainbow" with our Lord.

God Bless you and KLOVE, it is helping me turn my life around.

Scot
4/24/2012 2:42:34 PM
Dottie United States
Dottie
I know exactly what you mean!  I lost my husband suddenly about a year ago.  Just a few weeks ago we had a bonfire in our backyard.  A few hours later when the fire was dying down and all there were was the red hot embers, I looked outside and saw that and immediately had to fight back tears (as I am now just writing this).  You see, my husband used to love making fires in the fire pit in the backyard.  And our favorite thing would be to sit and watch the red hot embers and see what things we could see in the fire.  I keep looking for the day when I am at that place where there is no sorrow or tears.
4/24/2012 3:01:30 PM
Deb United States
Deb
Hi Scott,
Your story really touched me. I have lost people who are special to me as well and it seems like each one has its own trigger. The first one to come to mind is still a new loss and I deal with it daily. In January of this year I lost one of my students who died in her sleep at the tender age of 9. I teach fourth grade now but am blessed that I was her first grade teacher too. She loved many things and was one of the most generous children I've ever known. She loved playing with figurines from the Littlest Pet Shop toy series and I can only think of her when I see them. There are SO many things that make me think of her and miss her. We will be celebrating her birthday at the end of May and as sad as it will be for us, I will try to remember the joy she will be experiencing in heaven for her birthday.
4/24/2012 3:08:21 PM
Marcy Bell United States
Marcy Bell
Scott,
I know how you feel. My grandmother battled cancer for two years.She came home on Feb 1st cancer free and I was her caregiver 24/7. She died March 18th the cancer came back full force and suffocated her. Now SO many things remind me of her. Just the other day my mom got out the lotion that I used on my grandmother everyday, and just the smell of it, I couldnt shake that emotional rollercoaster all day. Just keep praying and God will help you through it. Thats how I make it through every day. I played Lara Storys song Blessings at her funeral and Chris Tomlands I WILL RISE too. Now every time I hear tose songs on your station I make everyone be silent and turn the volume up. Wish I had those cds but not being able to work because I was taking care of my grandmother, I dont have the money for the cds. So thank you for playing them!
4/24/2012 3:19:17 PM
Eileen United States
Eileen
I lost my dad when I was 5 years old. I am 23 now and I can't really remember him, but one thing that always makes me think of him is St. Patricks day. It was his favorite holiday and his birthday was the day before. It is hard to think about all the things I have missed out on not having him around and all the things that he hasn't been around to be a part of.
4/24/2012 3:19:44 PM
Matthew Schiwart United States
Matthew Schiwart
I had a teacher, named Ritch Throw, and he past away a few years ago. and the last song on air1 artest Red's new album, "innocents and Instenct", just filled me with gods love. can you please play that song for me. it made me think of rich, and when I first heard that song, I just about fell apart. so, if you could please play that song, I would appreciate it.
4/24/2012 3:24:20 PM
Laura United States
Laura
My grandma went home to be with the Lord several years ago.  A couple of years ago, I was in Bath and Body Works.  I was smelling various scents, and one after breathing in one scent in particular, I said to my daughter who was with me, "Oh my word, this smells just like Grandma!"  She smelled it and said "It so does!"  I turned the bottle around and the name of the lotion was P.S. I Love You.  Tears immediately filled my eyes until they were overflowing.  I'm sure the lady working the store thought I was nuts, but I just felt so blessed with the reminder of my grandma's unconditional love for me.  I know she didn't put that bottle in my path, God did, and it made my day.  Funny, after all this time, as I type this memory, tears are filling my eyes.  Sweet tears.  Remembering that our big God loves me and that He takes the time to let me know.
4/24/2012 3:30:13 PM
Candi United States
Candi
Scott - I heard you talking about your dad today. I wanted to talk about mine Smile my dad was my hero, my rock, my laughter. He died just over 5 years ago from cancer. My parents loved to ride motorcycle and did quite abit of sightseeing throughout the countryside on their bike. So, when i am sitting at a stop sign and and see a white haired man with a white beard - i usually start crying. it reminds me so much of my dad. My dad loved people and loved the Lord his Savior. I miss him so much, but know that he is in the presence of his Lord - which is where i will be someday. and for that - i am thankful to my Heavenly Father. i feel that just now (after 5 years) i am getting my laughter back. I can find joy in the Lord - but, it has been hard to find laughter like the kind my dad had. His laugh was contagious. Thanks for letting KLove be a part of my life on a daily basis.
4/24/2012 3:38:10 PM
Britney United States
Britney
Hi Scott, my grandma was one of the most important person in my life and an amazing woman. She came over from Italy, knowing very little english, got her ged, and put herself through college with only a 5th grade education and eventually became a teacher for 35 years. A story she use to tell me when I was little was how she got her name.  She was born in a daisy field in a small town in Italy during world war II, there were no hospitals or doctors anywhere close to her home. She was named Margherita, which is Italian for daisy.  She passed away 4 years ago and I love the moments when I walk out side or look out my car window and see a daisy. It reminds me that I did not loose a grandmother but I gained a guardian angel.
4/24/2012 3:50:18 PM
Stacy United States
Stacy
I have those moments just about everyday because of my son Malachi, who is 6 months old. Malachi was born on October 18, 2011, looks almost exactly like his sister Faith who we deeply miss because she was born still on April 18, 2009.  Because Malachi looks like his sister and because she was my first child the moments come all the time. God showed me when I was pregnant with my daughter that He was going to help my family through her birth and as we found out later her death. To give you a little back ground my parents divorced when I was little and could not get along. While I was grieving for my daughter I could see God working with my family and now my parents can get along. Malachi was born 2 1/2 years to the date later, isn't that just like God. Every year on Faith's birthday Malachi will be turning a half a year older and I thank God because now I will remember how God helped my family. Thank you for sharing and may God bless and help you and your family as those times come. God Bless You!!
4/24/2012 3:58:13 PM
Cindy Sumrall United States
Cindy Sumrall
Scott, my pheasant is a rainbow.  When my dad unexpectedly died at age 65 I wasn't sure he was saved.  The morning after his funeral my devotion just happened to be the in Luke 16 where the rich man was in hell and he was looking across the great divide and saw Lazarus in Abraham's bosom and he asked that Lazarus might just dip the tip of his finger in water and cool his tongue....In my mind's eye that was my daddy and he was anguishing in torment and crying "Why didn't you tell me?  Why didn't you tell me again and again and again?"  My heart was breaking!  I could accept my daddy's death if I only knew he was in heaven! But I didn't think I could bear to know that he didn't go to Heaven! I started crying out to God and did something that I don't normally do and that was to ask God for a sign. I didn't feel worthy to as God for a sign but that morning I did. I asked God to show me a rainbow if my daddy was in Heaven.  I didn't tell anyone about my prayer and all day long my eyes searched the skies for a rainbow.  The day was drawing to an end and I didn't see my rainbow.  I hung my head and prayed.  I told God that it was ok if He didn't show me a rainbow because I knew that somehow in His mercy He would help me to accept that my daddy didn't go to Heaven and help me to live with it somehow.  Not many moments later the dark clouds rolled back and my husband told my daughters "Look girls - there is a rainbow!!!  I just began to weep and weep!  My God loved me so much that He answered my prayer.  Not because of anything that I had done but because of who HE is!!!!
4/24/2012 4:02:19 PM
Danielle United States
Danielle
I celebrated my 31st birthday April 20th, Friday. My Grandma (on my Dad's side of the family) went home to Jesus Dec. 22, 2010. Before she moved in with my Uncle she would have me come to her house and she always had a angel food cake waiting for me. She would either have strawberries or can cherries with cool whip. We would eat that cake until we were sick. LOL! That was my birthday present from her. Well, it has been yrs since I had an angel food cake. Friday (early in my day) I began to think of her and stopped, looked to heaven and said, "Happy Birthday to me from you Nanny!" Well, later that evening my Aunt (on my Moms side) came to the Birthday Celebration and brought a cake. It was a double layered angel food cake with cool whip, strawberries and blackberries. LOL! I fought tears and told my Aunt this story. It was a birthday present from my Nanny from Heaven!!I love and miss her! Can't wait to see her again!
4/24/2012 6:50:39 PM
Vickie Wasniowski United States
Vickie Wasniowski
I am so sorry for the loss of your Dad.I lost my Mom 8 months ago & I miss her so much. She was always so active at seventy-five. She loved flowers& working in her yard. I went to clean her house last week & as I drove into her drive way her irises were blooming. As I entered her back porch her catus were blooming also.  I thought to my self Mom you are everywhere I look. I have a lot of questions Why! but I know that Mom is in heaven with Jesus and her flower garden!
4/24/2012 10:41:27 PM
Leone Johnson United States
Leone Johnson
Scott, my pheasant is rain and springtime. My biological mother passed away when I was 3 from cancer and my uncle sang a song with my aunt called I'll Build You a Rainbow. Mom liked rain. When it rains I think of my mom. If its warm rain I know she is happy in Heaven watching over me. Cold rain reminds me that she is crying for my mistakes. Also, my biological brother passed away a month ago from a brain tumor. Spring was his favorite time of the year, and I know he is running through fields of green grass and flowers in Heaven, side by side with my mother.
4/25/2012 6:23:13 AM
Wanda United States
Wanda
Scott,
My pheasant is yellow roses. My father passed away when I was 15 years old. I thought my world had ended!  For his funeral, my mother, brothers and sisters selected yellow roses to use on his casket.  When I got married, my husband and I used yellow roses in our wedding as a way to remember my Daddy and have him 'with us' on our special day.  When our children got married, they, too, chose to use yellow roses to honor the memory of their grandfather.  My sweet mother passed away in 2006.  Scott, you know the flowers we selected were yellow roses!  Whenever I see yellow roses, I am reminded immediately of my Daddy and Mama. It goes without saying that my favorite flower is a yellow rose.
God bless you.
4/25/2012 2:57:27 PM
Becky United States
Becky
Scott,  I listened to you yesterday with tears in my eyes and understanding in my heart.  My father passed four years ago at the age of 79.  He lived a long, never long enough, good life and loved me very much!  On my first birthday he gave me a bouquet of flowers.  Each year after that, for the next 40 years he brought me a beautiful bouquet.  On my 41st birthday he bought a Sago Palm instead of a beautiful bouquet.  I remember being a little disappointed, daddy's spoiled little girl even at 41.  The next few birthdays, before he passed he gave me the beatiful bouquets. Then my first birthday without my dad I was in my backyard and looked over to see the Sago Palm he had given me. I was overwhelmed with gratitude that he had decided on a Palm that one year and not flowers. It reminded me of how much he loved me and always made the best decision for me and how my heavenly father was working out his plan for my life even then.  My father would pass and not be here to give me a bouquet of flowers but the Sago is with me every day, a beautiful reminder of how much they each love me!!!  Thank you for sharing your story with us and God Bless You!
4/25/2012 7:36:54 PM
Joan Power United States
Joan Power
On my ride home Scott asked us to share who had an impact in your life. Besides Jesus, the people were my grandparents.
He had a  four plex where he and my grandmother lived. I loved going down in the summer to stay a week or two. I loved their stories even if I heard  them every  time I went to visit.
They were my first examples of Christian Love.  Our family had seven children and my grandmother always made us girls our really nice dresses and even bought us our Easter dresses and supplied the money to buy our Christmas presents each year. I loved going down to my grandfathera’s carpenter repair shop in the basement.  He was always working on repairs for the apartments and would repair headstones that were in need of repair after a wonderful trip to the cemetery.  He also was VERY ahead of his time. When we would go down to their house he'd don an apron and help grandma with cleaning, or be in the kitchen helping us women w/the dishes and get up on the stool so grandma wouldn't fall  to put the dishes away. After a meal and on holidays he wasn't out watching the holiday football games like every other man.
When grandma had to be in a wheelchair for her arthritis  and we would come to take them somewhere, he'd carry her purse with many jokes and he would hold her cane and pretend to want to hook it around her ankle and pull her feet into the car. I would always get a fit of the giggles, or hiccups.  NOTHING ever kept them from going to church at 12:15 every day and Sundays. Grandpa died first and when I was thinking in my head why...all the images of him cleaning, vacuuming with his apron, teasing her with the cane or repairing headstones from the cemetery  and a quiet persistent thought came to me he was preparing that special place for my grandmother for her homecoming. When I think of relatives, I'm reminded a lot of them and all the relatives of the bible who went before preparing our place here and our final home! Love you two!!!!!!!
Your ever greatful grand daughter,
Joan